• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Microtransactions in recent CoD titles have been by far the most controversial topic, particularly in Black Ops 4, as many players felt that the monetization model was aggressive, especially the supply drop or 'reserve' system which added exclusive weapons later in the game's life-cycle.
A leaker, who has correctly leaked Modern Warfare details in the past, including the addition of the 2v2 Gunfight mode, has now claimed that the "fair system" has been removed, in favor of a supply drop with weapons, and filler content such as emotes and sprays.

The Gaming Revolution claims "Who wants 300+ emotes in supply drops, who wants 500+ titles, who wants over 200 sprays in supply drops?" continuing, "weapons are coming too, forget any cosmetic only malarkey."

They haven't really dived into what MTX will be and contain in detail so this move turning out true wouldn't surprise me too much. It must have worked for them great with BLOPS4 even with all backslash it got from core gamers / fans.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
lol

They had potential to not be terrible terrible terrible publishers with a MW reboot.

Nope.

GG...

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Activision are way way worse then EA but somehow EA seems to get all the media and attention.

I don't really know how they get away with it.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
What else did everybody expect? This is bound to happen. Stil Activision is greedy and will never learn.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Ya just like sports games, COD is in the category of games where the fan base is so fucking big that they could not give less of a shit about the vocal minority even if it's a big minority... When let's say a million complain about it, you still have like 9 million buying the MXT or just not caring. It's a damn shame but unless the story is phenomenal then I wasn't going to get this game anyway.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
tenor.gif

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
And people will still buy it. Idk why someone expected something different from Activision.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty ballsy to add lootboxes again after they're on the verge of becoming illegal and after you built up so much goodwill exactly by abandoning decisions like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Well I was starting to waiver back to the buy MW camp because it looks good, but now I am right back in the fuck off camp. I am perfectly fine with "Loot Boxes" as long as they contain cosmetics only but when you start putting game changing weapons in there? Fuck. Off. Blops 4 did this and the weapons were god damned OP as hell.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Free maps was always going to equal more aggressive microtransactions. This should hardly be a surprise.

At least this time they dont have the gall to sell a $50 season pass on top of all that.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
If they were going to do this anyway (and they were) at least the post launch maps are free. But with gameplay altering mtx, I'm also kind of assuming we'll get more than a map every few months.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
of course, with the maps being free they'd go all in on MTX. This garbage is the reason why I haven't touched a cod since BO3 and I refuse to buy a single one of them.

Infinity Ward might have improved the system somewhat with Infinite Warfare, by at least giving players an option to get things by just playing the game. Even better they gave the base versions of weapons for free to owners of the season pass, but going as low as Treyarch's garbage MTX system is honestly disgusting. They've basically taken 3 steps forward with Infinite Warfare and 4 steps backward with this game assuming this holds true.

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
Never played or paid attention to Black Ops 4 but how did Black Ops 4 handle this? Article doesn't go into too much detail other than what looks like a season pass gave you a crate upon leveling the pass.

Also, what kind of guns did they put in these crates in Black Ops 4? This boggles my mind that I never came across any news regarding this as it seems sketchy as hell.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I have to ask this: what kind of """GOODWILL""" has Activision earned here?

By releasing a good...beta? lmfao this is Activision you should know better

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, in another thread I voiced how much I mistrusted Activision and was hesitant about buying the game because of this.

I guess this makes the decision much easier.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
With all the folks who left the franchise around BO2/Ghosts, I just have one thing to say:

Welcome to Call of Duty. You really should expect this to be the case.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The fact that Activision and Infinity Ward don't just come out and officially confirm that microtransactions will be cosmetic only says all you need to know really. If microtransactions were cosmetic only it would be in their best interest to announce this as soon as possible to take away any worries and speculation, but instead they've chosen to stay quiet.
Also, Activision outright admitted that Black Ops 4's microtransactions were a test for future games: https://investor.activision.com/static-files/ec7dd3c9-06e6-4e91-a973-400fa351bd77
The team continues to iterate around in-game features and offerings within Black Ops 4, testing new ways for players to participate in in-game content both for that game and future titles
And the test was a success as BO4's mtx bring in more than WWII's https://investor.activision.com/static-files/0997afe7-22ec-4535-8daa-4a253550b16a
For Call of Duty Black Op 4, net bookings from in-game items grew Y/Y versus WWII and are ahead of WWII on a comparable life-to-date basis

And lets not forget here that while for us consumer free maps are great, it also means a loss in revenue for Activision for which they'll want to compensate in other ways.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Never played or paid attention to Black Ops 4 but how did Black Ops 4 handle this? Article doesn't go into too much detail other than what looks like a season pass gave you a crate upon leveling the pass.

Also, what kind of guns did they put in these crates in Black Ops 4? This boggles my mind that I never came across any news regarding this as it seems sketchy as hell.

This is maybe their most infamous weapon "MTX": https://gamingbolt.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-4-adds-a-28-hammer

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
No shit they would have weapons in supply drops. The RNG makes more money than this fair system, so Activision is doing it.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
after the sony deal and now this im even more glad ive never bought a cod game

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While there were always these supply drops you think the lack of season pass is just a charity? They gotta fuck us one way and it's easy to ignore the loot.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I will never play enough or be good enough at the game for this to effect me, but it is really frustrating to see.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

All types of guns, just your normal guns which shoot bullets but also stuff like a futuristic crossbow which is a one hit kill and in the right hands is the best weapon for combat up close. You can easily make the argument that it makes the game somewhat pay to win.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I have to ask this: what kind of """GOODWILL""" has Activision earned here?

By releasing a good...beta? lmfao this is Activision you should know better

The goodwill is that they are making a new Modern Warfare game which their fans have been wanting for a while. They know the average gamer has the memory of a cabbage so simply showing off a modern setting is enough for people to forget the shitty MTXs of the previous several COD games. And the reason why they know they can slip them into this game as well.

NowhereFaded

Nov 11, 2017
Ridgefield, Wa
I'm not surprised. Still gonna buy day one. I haven't bought cod in years.
Do the loot box weapons contain weapons that are much better than standard in game weapons and do they insure Easier kills ??

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Activision are way way worse then EA but somehow EA seems to get all the media and attention.

I don't really know how they get away with it.
Yep and it gets me so mad

everything activision does is scum.

and people, just so u know, the lootbox guns in bo4 were beyond OP. They ruined lobbies
Treyarch knew this

they let people spend money and gamble.

then they nerfed the guns

and activision adds these things after reviews are done so a lot of journalists are pretty trash for never calling it out

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Activision continues being trash. BO4 was a shitshow with all the weapons in lootboxes that were hilariously overpowered

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
They are gonna add them after the game releases to avoid the negative reviews.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Well this was the actual news (rumor I guess still but activision) I was waiting on in-regards to the game but the news yesterday and this 99% happening...I'm still out. Was almost back in too.

At least they got me to try the beta again.