Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
I think it's deeply naive to believe this studio is putting games out as quickly as they have been due to anything other than a ton of labor abuse. And yet this whole thread's been filled with praise, compliments, and talk of what a great deal Sony got.

And you just know that a year or two from now, when it all gets exposed, everyone here's gonna act surprised at the super obvious thing.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's deeply naive to believe this studio is putting games out as quickly as they have been due to anything other than a ton of labor abuse. And yet this whole thread's been filled with praise, compliments, and talk of what a great deal Sony got.

And you just know that a year or two from now, when it all gets exposed, everyone here's gonna act surprised at the super obvious thing.
I'm not gonna negate this but 2/3 of the last games they've dropped have reused a ton of assets from a game in 2018. That saves a ton of time.

bitcloudrzr

Banned
May 31, 2018

You are essentially claiming that after Insomniac was purchased by Sony, it was not an expansion of the teams in the studio and resource management that led to their output, but massive labour abuse. Yet no one in three years has said a word, not even an anonymous leak.

OP
OP
Red Kong XIX

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020

www.gamesindustry.biz

Insomniac's Ted Price: Games studios must break the habit of brute-forcing through problems

Insomniac Games CEO Ted Price wants to see more developers being "creative within constraints" in order to end the cycl…

kotaku.com

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Devs Say It Was Created Without Crunch

There's no good reason AAA game development should be inhumane.

At least from what we know, there doesn't seem to be crunch involved in Insomniac's game development process.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised, I don't think when they released the SM2 and Wolvie trailer that they were thinking, oh yeah "this next trailer's game is gonna come out 2+ years after the earlier one"

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Yet no one in three years has said a word.
some words were said of the work conditions, but they've been mostly positive so far

View: https://x.com/jasonschreier/status/1714421338213863771?s=20

At least from what we know, there doesn't seem to be crunch involved in Insomniac's game development process.
im more likely to go with schreier on this one

from twitter (in 2020):

I don't think there was no crunch on Spider-Man - I think Insomniac is just better about maintaining a healthy atmosphere from the top down. There are many different kinds of "crunch"

beeboo

Mar 13, 2023

There are almost certainly bad elements of working at Insomniac, but I haven't seen much evidence to suggest it is worse than other AAA studios like Naughty Dog or Rockstar. So praising their accomplishments and efficiency doesn't really strike me as an endorsement of bad workplace practices. If anything i suspect treating your workers poorly is counterproductive from an efficiency standpoint

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

Let me get this straight, you are claiming a studio is guilty of labor abuse (a heavy allegation) based on the fact that they release games in a timely manner? It cant be that they have several teams within their TWO studios? You are jumping to such a terrible conclusion with no evidence or reason to

~Millet~

Jan 21, 2019

Do you have proof? If not, then save your malicious comments for yourself.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
www.gamesindustry.biz

Insomniac's Ted Price: Games studios must break the habit of brute-forcing through problems

Insomniac Games CEO Ted Price wants to see more developers being "creative within constraints" in order to end the cycl…

kotaku.com

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Devs Say It Was Created Without Crunch

There's no good reason AAA game development should be inhumane.

Meanwhile, the glassdoor reviews are all like, "Cons: *Euphemism for Crunch*." Or "I never crunch, but...". "And I was never forced to crunch."

Let me get this straight, you are claiming a studio is guilty of labor abuse (a heavy allegation) based on the fact that they release games in a timely manner? It cant be that they have several teams within their TWO studios? You are jumping to such a terrible conclusion with no evidence or reason to
We're allowed to use common sense and have an understanding that this practice is extremely common in the industry.

Last edited:

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
C'mon people. We're talking about a company that allowed multiple sex predators to carry on with their bullshit within the company for years, without taking action or protecting their (female) employees.
I'm pretty sure folks can come here and sugest that if they allowed that, they can allow much worse.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I think it's absolutely possible that a studio like Insomniac is anti-crunch and shitty work environments, and having never worked there I'm not about to make judgements either way.

But I'm also not about to make a judgement based on a string of PR puff piece interviews with a studio owner and a couple of tweets from the odd staff member.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Burning out the employees every project wouldn't make Insomniac more efficient, any time "saved" would be lost by lots of people leaving and new people needing to be taught the tools (and also management almost definitely missed the deadlines for the last project too). They maybe just have good project management as crazy as that sounds.

Them doubling down on remote work leads me to believe that even more.

Last edited:

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Anything is possible, the games industry in general isn't great for that. I just feel we would have heard something from Bloomberg by now. I put Insomniac in the same boat as studios like RGG for Yakuza. There is a lot of smart asset re-use, and they also work within certain limitations. What I mean by that is their games are never these massive sprawling epics that are trying to change gaming. They are focused on just releasing fun quality content that tends to be on the shorter side for modern gaming (Miles, Ratchet and Clank, etc etc). Even Spider-man 2 is a reasonably quick platinum.

Obsidian is the same really; they release a lot of games. And much like Insomniac, they work within certain limitations that they impose on themselves just due to good management.

There are plenty of studios that release games at a fast clip. As far as I am aware, the team that did Wolverine is the one that did Miles, so four years isn't that crazy.

thebaconlife

Banned
Oct 2, 2022
what if part of the game takes place in new york? if thats the case they can use the same map like they did for miles and spiderman 2 cutting development. wouldnt surprise me if they use attack animations and things from spiderman in wolverine. . I can see it being 2024 but i think 2025. I dont believe a lot of these rumors

Neha

Feb 17, 2022
2024 for Wolfie would be insane omegapoggers hype-o-rama wham-a-lam wowzapalooza after 2023 for Spooder-man, 2021 for Rivet and 2020 for Milesy boy.

4 games in 4 years????

Can they do it though? Well that is the question of the century, my young padawans.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
2024 for Wolfie would be insane omegapoggers hype-o-rama wham-a-lam wowzapalooza after 2023 for Spooder-man, 2021 for Rivet and 2020 for Milesy boy.

4 games in 4 years????

Can they do it though? Well that is the question of the century, my young padawans.
lH1wtel.jpg

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
We're allowed to use common sense and have an understanding that this practice is extremely common in the industry.

You´re making a serious allegation (labor abuse) based on their output, which you are in no position to make unless you worked for them yourself or have insight from various employees who have worked for them. That should be common sense.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018

4 games in 4 years????

I hate this post.

Oct 27, 2017

4 games in 4 years????

I love Insomniac too, but this post is, uh.................

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
At least one of the main reasons behind Insomniac's fast output is their multi-team studio. A lot of PS Studios' seem to handle main dev work of 1-2 games at a time, while Insomniac as a dual-team studio can hand maybe handle the main workload of 2-3 games at a time. For example, the primary and secondary teams were both working on Rift Apart while at the same time while dev'ing Spider-man 2 & Miles Morales (the secondary team was probably also working on Wolverine at the same time).

Also, they're highly efficient with assets and optimization. Why would you only use the portal concept in one game?

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Late 2024 is feasible. It's Insomniac, they be wizards. They got a good pipeline. Multiple teams. Alright, thanks, release with PS5Pro please.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I figured 2024 made sense because Sony has very little else announced.

Insomniac are possibly the most valuable studio right now. Rockstar does gangbusters but Insomniac is able to put out more games.

Ann Rule

Dec 7, 2022
I hope they hire an unknown, preferably an older actor. I wonder if Steve Blum would do it? I just found out he lives in Hawaii now lol.

More importantly I hope Viper, Psylocke, and Lady Deathstrike appear.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

Of course the game is made with deep crunch, like all AAA games are made. The main studio might not be doing it (if Jason is to believe), but that doesn't mean it was made with deep crunch.

The thing is, just because the main studio itself didn't crunch does not mean the game wasn't made without crunch.. A lot of these external support studios that help make these big games are from all over the world, especially in Asia and South America, where employees had to struggle with difficult conditions.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And the award for most cynical take on ResetEra goes to…

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

Well unless that's revealed to us at some point I'll refrain from making any assumptions. They're a solid studio when it comes to output but I don't think it's as impressive as some people think despite enjoying the games. Most AAA studios are split into teams these days.

I do think making Spider-Man games benefited them largely since those games all take place in the same setting. They've been able to build on top of Spider-Man 2018 for 5 years now (even more if you count the development of the game itself). That allowed them to release Miles Morales, Spider-Man Remastered, and Spider-Man 2.

So I don't really see them as that more efficient than any other high calibur dev. If they had to make 3-4 completely different games I don't they would have been able to hit the same marks. Obviously A Rift Apart is excluded in this since it's totally separate from Spidey.

bleits

Oct 14, 2023
Wolverine would save next year for me because Rise of the Ronin is a maybe and Death Stranding 2 even if it makes it is a big no.

Bend Studio's unannounced project potentially has a sci-fi setting

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Bend game might be Sci Fi

Screenshot_2023-11-12-08-20-10-17_254de13a4bc8758c9908fff1f73e3725.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-12-08-20-26-10_254de13a4bc8758c9908fff1f73e3725.jpg

Sci Fi could be Wolverine too tbh.
The teaser heavily implied its set in Madripoor which in MCU looked something very cyberpunky Madripoor.
FaWS_3-2000-6573db827ed4464a969c8e54ba6cfcff.png

WRSDHnnbdjRQUkGzTHeQXc.png

Plus some easter egg on another Insomniac game

OP
OP
Red Kong XIX

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Bend game might be Sci Fi

Screenshot_2023-11-12-08-20-10-17_254de13a4bc8758c9908fff1f73e3725.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-12-08-20-26-10_254de13a4bc8758c9908fff1f73e3725.jpg

Sci Fi could be Wolverine too tbh.
The teaser heavily implied its set in Madripoor which in MCU looked something very cyberpunky Madripoor.
FaWS_3-2000-6573db827ed4464a969c8e54ba6cfcff.png

WRSDHnnbdjRQUkGzTHeQXc.png

Plus some easter egg on another Insomniac game
This would be great news for me personally. Like the setting and PS Studios hasn't many games that play in it.

0insideofme

Oct 26, 2023
I would say Wolverine will be a game who takes much more development time than Spider-Man/Ratchet&Clank because Insomniac don't have any assets for this game already done, but who knows, they have launch Ratchet & Clank remake in 2016 and the first Spider-Man just two years later.

Yildiray

May 30, 2022
Germany
I also doubt it being a new IP with such amount of work to do, 2025 would be more than enough, specially if DS2 hits next year.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
all we hear about by the liberal elites is "science fiction"

what kids really need these days are God and science FRACTIONS

The Dave

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 16, 2023
I have Wolverine down for 2025/2026 personally. Bend for 2026 as well. 2024 is too much for Insomniac, let them cook a bit more

Legend_Knight98

alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2023
Honestly If Wolverine, DS2, Heeldivers 2, Concord and Gow spin off are all planned for 2024, plus Rise of ronin, Stellar blade, SH2 remake, Ff7 rebirth etc.. that's an amazing year for PS5