• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

We've learned much more about the codenames since then, btw; much of that tweet has actually been found to be inaccurate (more in a sec). The fact that it's nx-abcd actually seems to indicate a new form factor (not hybrid or handheld). You would think TV-only, but that's already taken by nx-abcb, so I'm not sure what this is. The update is still being datamined, however.

Anyway, what we've learned since that tweet: there have been 5 hardware models supported by the OS; these are Icosa, Copper, Hoag, Iowa, and Calcio. Icosa, Hoag, and Iowa have been released; they're the launch model, the lite, and the updated model with improved battery life, respectively.

Copper was removed after the RCM hardware bug was found, but based on its implemented services it seemed to be a non-mobile device (it didn't implement battery or charging services, and had HDMI services unique to it that are theoretically handled by the dock in the hybrid Switch).

Calcio is interesting. It only popped up in one of the 9.X updates, seemingly indicating it's in active development. It appears to essentially be Copper but on the new Mariko chip found in Hoag and Iowa and, curiously, lacks support for game cards, suggesting a digital-only device. If my speculation that a TV-only device would be positioned as a sort of super-economical option (even cheaper than the lite) is accurate, that would make some sense.

These 5 models fall into three form factors: nx-abca2, nx-abcb, and nx-abcc. Icosa and Iowa are nx-abca2, Copper and Calcio are nx-abcb, and Hoag is nx-abcc. You may also notice some consistency in the naming; abca2 devices start with 'I' (integrated?), nx-abcbs start with 'C' (console), and nx-abcc is 'H' (handheld). The previous thought that some of these terms referred to dev kits is inaccurate; the dev kits use the same hardware configs and form factors as the retail units.

Source here:
SPOILER: 1:02:30-1:15:00

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
But what is Nintendo NX.
79C8685F341324720820182220800_55df1705918.9.0.1711728494610174824.mp4.jpg

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I predict a new switch with tougher screen and gloss buttons. Why? Becoz no one expects that and thats where Nintendos got you covered ;)

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I am not familiar with this person, but they are followed by a bunch of credible console hackers, which suggests there is indeed something here.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hope they don't add a second screen to a new model. It'll be like the 3ds xl all over again where you get short changed if you don't buy the new model.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
whatyearisthis.gif

NX is what the Switch was originally called, if I'm not mistaken? Potentially this is a Pro at most as the firmware code wouldn't reference a brand new console with the same denomination, no?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW the same guy talked about similar profiles found in the 9.00 update last year:

www.resetera.com

New regular Switch model with upgraded battery life announced! Same price, launches end of August (Old model: 2.5-6.5 hours, New model: 4.5-9.0 hours)

So there were two separate form factors, one for retail (nx-abca2) and one for devkits (nx-abcb) for the OG Switch, even though it had three codenames (two for devkits). The new one has 3 form factors (nx-abca2, nx-abcb, nx-abcc) with 3 codenames again (one of which is the same EDEV unit the OG...

Oct 27, 2017
If it has support for a secondary screen it could be a clamshell Switch with two screens. Would be wild if they did that. THO, and hear me out on this, what if it is for,...

A foldable Switch in 2021?

Folds literally into two different screens for table top split screen. Just a wild idea. Seems weird they'd add a screen this late in the game. They could easily add DS/3DS BC via a USBC attachment, similar to the vertical grips for shmups, and cram in 2DS guts into it, sell it for $60 at a big profit since it wouldn't require buttons or screen.

But I'm all for a smaller Switch if this makes it possible. Clamshell too. I think whatever it is will replace $300 model, ideally at $250 tho. And drop Lite to $170/$180.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think Nintendo is always gonna have a Switch on the market that is 300+ - the 2019 Switch and the Lite could get price drops this Holiday season.

BotW 2 launching along side a Pro/Premium model was always a popular take. Still think its happening March 2021.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
This is obviously a mode to turn the Switch/Switch lite into a controller for the SCD.
/s

Oct 27, 2017
If it has support for a secondary screen it could be a clamshell Switch with two screens. Would be wild if they did that. THO, and hear me out on this, what if it is for,...

A foldable Switch in 2021?

Folds literally into two different screens for table top split screen. Just a wild idea. Seems weird they'd add a screen this late in the game. They could easily add DS/3DS BC via a USBC attachment, similar to the vertical grips for shmups, and cram in 2DS guts into it, sell it for $60 at a big profit since it wouldn't require buttons or screen.

But I'm all for a smaller Switch if this makes it possible. Clamshell too. I think whatever it is will replace $300 model, ideally at $250 tho. And drop Lite to $170/$180.
But why

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Guess my plans to get a Lite if nothing else was announced deep into the year might fall through. Way more interested in a new model that can probably give me better performance while docked. The "second display" part is very intriguing.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The new model is actually called Café, trust my uncle who was at Nintendo and now at Gamestop told me.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
‪Maybe the second display part is for if you connect your Handheld Mode Switch to a docked Switch?‬

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
FWIW the same guy talked about similar profiles found in the 9.00 update last year:

www.resetera.com

New regular Switch model with upgraded battery life announced! Same price, launches end of August (Old model: 2.5-6.5 hours, New model: 4.5-9.0 hours)

So there were two separate form factors, one for retail (nx-abca2) and one for devkits (nx-abcb) for the OG Switch, even though it had three codenames (two for devkits). The new one has 3 form factors (nx-abca2, nx-abcb, nx-abcc) with 3 codenames again (one of which is the same EDEV unit the OG...
So the only new thing is "d" and is about two screens?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I skipped over the Lite (but my gf now owns one for AC), so depending on how different or interesting this is it could be my second Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
IDK. I think if they do a foldable Switch it would be Switch 2. Imagine it would be OG Switch and Lite Switch in one package. But they'd probably wait until prices come down/foldable screens are tested more. If they can get one like what Apple is working on or what TCL is working on (cheap) that doesn't crease (coz it doesn't actually fold 100% down in the hinge) that would be great in a 2022-23 next-gen device imo.

Now that I think of this, they could have this be a,...ugh vomits a bit,... TV only Switch that can support streaming the game/dual screen like Wii U if a user has an existing switch.

I wonder how cheap they could get a TV only Switch. Ideally $99-$130, but knowing them $200 would be it. Could just be a TV unit but also a dock, that allows you to dock your regular switch/lite for increased performance, or lets you stream your screen (on lite) to TV a la Wii U Game Pad.

If a Lite is $199, and at a profit, I imagine a TV Switch without screen could be sold at $150.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
so the reason for the delay of switch production WASNT coronavirus, but nintendo getting ready to shadow drop a whole new model this year huh???