• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Grind for 50 hours to unlock the NEW EXCITING MORE POWERFUL ULTIMATE WITH 17% more damage or for the low cost of $4.99 unlock it immedia...
tenor.gif

Mar 22, 2019
Im in - whatever happens im in.
Literally building a new pc for games like this, Doom Eternal etc hell even Quake Champions.

Because i simiss the joy of fps.

Overwatch has its problems but it does the team combat and variety of modes and characters to perfection i think (only beaten by TF2...natch).

Bring on Ow2 and if it sucks we can all jump to Unreal Tournament anyway.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
The pvp will stay the same. They'll release a new physical sku for pve with the pvp attatched or downloadable. A digital sku will feature both, with the pve as a paid expansion for the base game.

They're not adding levels to the pvp objective mode. They'll probably add a pvevp mode ala L4D versus with character levels and such, but the classic mode will stay. They still patch the base stuff religiously, AND more importantly have a highly successful esport league using the base multiplayer. They're not throwing that away.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I feel this "sequel" is only coming out instead of keeping adding content to the original so they can add a lot more monetization systems to the game.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way these new abilities will be added to the PvP. Blizzard just implemented 2-2-2 role queue to the game to not only solve team composition issues but to make future balancing easier. You think they want to throw that all out the window by adding skill trees?

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they don't do what destiny did and drag legacy code into a new game. I'm fine with them totally retooling and selling a new game. I don't care about my costumes, I just want some fresh modes, maps, and characters.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I'm hoping if it's controlled no new hero is a red herring. I feel like that's gonna deflate the announcement unless they really drive home the additions, given that it's all real.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I was expecting 2-3 heroes

They freaking said they have tons of heroes far along in development last year... not adding any this blizzcon is a hype killer.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Sounds kinda like Paladins and disappointing.

Also what happened to: "we have 9 or more heroes in development for OW"?? Where are they?? Content drop ruined this game.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting 2-3 heroes

They freaking said they have tons of heroes far along in development last year... not adding any this blizzcon is a hype killer.
Why would you expect 2-3 characters? They always have characters far in development, they'll still spread that content out.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait for them to kill Mei for "lore" reasons and replace her with a friend or family with the same skillset/gameplay to cover PRC's distaste of her being used as a symbol for HK protest lmao

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would you expect 2-3 characters? They always have characters far in development, they'll still spread that content out.
Because its literally being called OW2. Its a sequel, which means most people are going to expect a few new characters at the very least. Especially because theyve talked about the fact that they have numerous heroes in a playable state months ago.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
Because its literally being called OW2. Its a sequel, which means most people are going to expect a few new characters at the very least. Especially because theyve talked about the fact that they have numerous heroes in a playable state months ago.
It doesn't help that they have teased like 5 heroes. Sojourn, Mauga, Echo, Junkerqueen and the omnic at the end of Storm Rising.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Someone needs to ask if every character is playable with a skill tree in pve, because goddamn, that would make it possibly the largest pve game every made. Maybe thats why they're calling it OW2.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
From the same user:

If real, thus is 100% PvE only lol.

What if it's not, and Activision is making Blizzard push this onto PVP as well, in order to sell even more microtransactions. You know, either grind for a thousand hours to unlock all the best shit, or pay real money to bypass the process. Someone was inevitably gonna give this another go, after the Star Wars Battlefront II fiasco - and of all companies, I wouldn't be shocked at all if it was Activision that tried it next.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
All I want is... well okay I want two things... 1)Grow a back bone and stop catering to your Chinese overlords 2)gimmie a proper single player campaign.

I have yet to buy Overwatch. I love the visuals and the hugely diverse and cool roster. I don't like online shooters. You don't want me on your team either because I'd just suck. So I've been hoping for some kind of single-player mode or spin-off but yet to see it. I get I'm a minority here but surely there are OW fans who'd like to see a story mode too?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Turns out less is more. The game was a lot better when it had less heroes when it launched. Every new addition has been miserable and made the game less fun. Sombra? Doomfist? Moira? all of them horrible. Sigma and Orisa? barrier watch. Brigitte for like a whole year, holy shit. It was a whole different game that people loved when it came out. It feels so miserable to play it now. Most of the additions just made the game worse. I'd say bring vanilla Overwatch. This game is already very difficult to get right, new heroes just throw a wrench into everything. Like the game would have been in an ok spot after 2-2-2 if Sigma wasn't added to the game. He ruined what was already pretty shaky.
I get your point, but I do disagree on one fundamental principle: when the game launched basically EVERYONE had to pick Reinhardt. He was the only viable big shield. Any time you picked a different tank, your team would say "Switch to Reinhardt!" Now you have Sigma, Orisa, Brigette, Winston is better, etc. Not every single game has to have Reinhardt now.

The Last Laugh

Banned
Dec 31, 2018
WoW has reached the point of "in case of emergency, break Lich King ice"

He's coming.
Absolutely. Game development has reached the point where they can just change and create an entire expansion within weeks just in response to bad press. This is totally new just as damage control and in no way shape or form was planned ahead of time or worked toward in storylines or anything else. Nope totally in response to the current situation.
Controlled leaks leading up to Blizzcon? Via data mining? Totally new and caused by their bad press, I do not know why they never thought of this before other Blizzcons.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wouldn't care about a single player mode personally, and so far the PvE events haven't been very fun compared to the main game. I'm open to the idea of a co-op PvE mode if done really well. Not just a bigger horde mode though as those just feel mindless.

The Last Laugh

Banned
Dec 31, 2018
I would love an old school arena mode thrown in, like a 30 person + everyone for themselves brawl.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I find the concept of OW2 weird, it's like expecting Rocket League 2 or something like that. An update to the normal game would make more sense since this a gaas that is always improving.

As long as that leveling system stays away from classic OW I'm fine with it.

I would love an old school arena mode thrown in, like a 30 person + everyone for themselves brawl.

It's not 30 person, but that mode is already in the game, right? Like a classic deathmatch?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I'll be surprised if this ends up expanding upon competitive PvP because it sounds like this is solely a PvE experience. Too much work has gone into the original game for people to start jumping ship to a new one so fast.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Activision and Blizzard are both the same company with the same profit-driven mindset. One does not "force" the other. Don't try to separate the two in your mind.

I am very much aware this is the case now. However, this was clearly not always true. It was inevitable in the long run, but Blizzard losing their former identity and becoming another cog in Activision's soulless machine has been a very drawn out process, and while Blizzard veterans like Chris Metzen still had senior positions at Blizzard, there was undoubtedly pushback against Activision's worst impulses to some extent.

New rumor update
OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The game will be Overwatch 2 and Will not be an expansion pack.

So much for those who thought Blizzard wouldnt do this because of role queue or switch owners

No plans as of now to transfer skins from OW1 to OW2. Something Metro (the leaker) thinks is such a bad decision that theyre going to change course before launch but thats tbd.

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of a GAAS if you drip feed updates and stop making new events and then you kill off the game with a completely separate sequel

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
A brand NEW game??? Not an expansion? Wth Blizzard?

Surely skins will be transferable. Surely.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017

The game will be Overwatch 2 and Will not be an expansion pack.

So much for those who thought Blizzard wouldnt do this because of role queue or switch owners

No plans as of now to transfer skins from OW1 to OW2. Something Metro (the leaker) thinks is such a bad decision that theyre going to change course before launch but thats tbd.

Question, why should we believe this guy?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome, that sounds great to me! Excited to try out the PvE stuff. :)

Not really into PvP anymore, Overwatch is one of the few I can stand. Much more into co op stuff.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard has made a lot of stupid decisions but I doubt they're killing OW1. Like they wouldn't make the Switch port at all if this was happening.