• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Source: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...onic_3_and_knuckles_in_a_new_sonic_collection

There's already been a rumour about the 2010 Wii and Nintendo DS title Sonic Colors being remastered, and now leaker Zippo is claiming Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles will be making a comeback in a new Sonic collection. This was the information shared over on their blog page:

"It's back. And I promise you that I'm not shi***** you. It was thought to be impossible, but it's coming. There will be some changes, though. More soon."

The reference to it being "impossible", is likely tied to the legal issues surrounding the music in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - some of the tracks were apparently composed by Michael Jackson but went uncredited. In an attempt to not go off on a tangent here, it seems Sega could have finally worked out a way to revive this classic.

Finally!

I wonder which Sonic games will be featured in the collection. The emulation better be good.

EDIT: Leaker seems iffy.

Last edited:

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I am physically incapable of believing this.

EDIT: And I still refuse to buy a version that doesn't include the original release tracks.

Last edited:

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine if it's coming, the beta tracks will be used. What form it's in also matters. If it's not 16:9, it's already an unnecessary version considering Sonic 3 A.I.R. exists.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the same as that 4chan rumour that 1/2/3/K will be rereleased in a collection with Mania style sprites and Tee Lopes music to replace the MJ stuff is it?

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Give that shiit to the Taxman! Let him work his magic. Then port Taxman 1, 2, and CD. The Taxman Collection!

And MANIA 2!!

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had a copy of the PC version of Sonic 3 and Knuckles with an alternative OST. Maybe they'll port those tracks in?

I think it's this OST?

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had a copy of the PC version of Sonic 3 and Knuckles with an alternative OST. Maybe they'll port those tracks in?

It was recently found out from a discovered Beta that they were the original tracks and sound much better on the genesis hardware.

Icecap is the only one I dont like better.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He's working on a game at his own studio, right? I'd say that's a pretty big reason.

If there actually is a modified rerelease, it would most likely be developed by M2. They're probably the next best thing to a Taxman version.
We dont actually know what evening star is working on last I checked.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
He's working on a game at his own studio, right? I'd say that's a pretty big reason.

If there actually is a modified rerelease, it would most likely be developed by M2. They're probably the next best thing to a Taxman version.

- we don't know what he's working on, might be a sonic game
- it would be possible his other game is at a state where he doesn't have to spend 100% of his time on it, and he's already done a proof of concept with angel island zone and the special stages implemented from years back, so he wouldn't be starting from scratch on a S&K port either.

It was recently found out from a discovered Beta that they were the original tracks and sound much better on the genesis hardware.

Icecap is the only one I dont like better.

what about KNUCKLES PANICCCCCCC

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
- it would be possible his other game is at a state where he doesn't have to spend 100% of his time on it, and he's already done a proof of concept with angel island zone and the special stages implemented from years back, so he wouldn't be starting from scratch on a S&K port either.

what about KNUCKLES PANICCCCCCC

Thats not bad ether I just know most of the talk is on the Stage music.

Also lets not forget this gem

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
there is no Taxman version of Sonic 3, Sonic 3 never gets re-released so it never got a chance at a better version
Taxman and Stealth did begin working on a mobile version of Sonic 3 as a proof of concept; could pick it back up if Sega finally decided on how they would deal with the music issues.

Not that I believe this particular rumor, for quite a few reasons, but I don't think it'd impossible for 3&K to get the remaster treatment if this collection is real. If we're going by Zippo's narrative, the versions of Sonic 1 and 2 in this supposed collection would be the Christian Whitehead remasters, so it's hard to see 3&K not matching.

This isn't the same as that 4chan rumour that 1/2/3/K will be rereleased in a collection with Mania style sprites and Tee Lopes music to replace the MJ stuff is it?
Haven't heard this rumor before. Obviously bull, but I wouldn't say no to what would essentially be a full Tee Lopes Classic Sonic arrangement album.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking shit don't play with my fucking emotions pls this was my first video game, pls God.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
While it's good that it might finally getting a re-release, A.I.R has taken a lot of the desire I have for an official version since it has everything I'd want out of a Taxman-like release.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I belive it when i see it. Sorry for sounding like a grumpy old man but this is my favourite game of all time. Taxman the game, i will be happy, change it, i won't.
Also, is this zipo a trustworthy source?

Last edited:

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
How is the Steam rom of Sonic 3 & Knuckles in the Mega Drive Collection? Is it somehow romhacked to remove the original music?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How is the Steam rom of Sonic 3 & Knuckles in the Mega Drive Collection? Is it somehow romhacked to remove the original music?

The rumoured legal troubles didn't start Until well after the passing of Michael Jackson, and the steam room has been there for a long time. The game used to be rereleases alongside the other mega drive games routinely.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really attached to any of the tracks that would need changing so just do it already!

It's been long enough having the best mega drive entry ignored.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
When was the last time these two games got a re-release? I remember having them in my Nintendo DS Sonic collection pack.

Oct 27, 2017
Changes? Unless they're optional or said changes are improvements like widescreen support, it wouldn't really be Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
Yes I have listened to the alternative versions of carnival night, ice cap etc and i'd still be missing the old tracks if they changed them.
Pissed at MJ for so many things already, this would only increase my irritation towards him.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

He's been on the Freedom Planet 2 team for awhile, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be doing this as well

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Zippo has a track record that's spotty at best so I don't know why he keeps being used as a source. Sega releasing another Sonic collection for the 30th anniversary with S3&K on it using music from the proto to get around the MJ issues isn't exactly a shocking prediction anyway.

Also, here's Tyson Hesse on Sonic Retro giving his thoughts on the many recent Sonic rumors:

170dc576e4123f0d82dd61d1f745b6dd.png

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
Can't say I'm a big believer of this particular leaker, but I really hope this is legit.

Embarrassing how long the best Sonic game has gone without an official release.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
He's been on the Freedom Planet 2 team for awhile, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be doing this as well
Taxman's work on Freedom Planet 2 concluded very early on. Before the game was even announced formally I think.

Also, is this zipo a trustworthy source?
Not at all. Just about everything they said about Capcom recently was directly clashing with the major leaks that came soon after. Sonic fans are just stir crazy right now from not having any new games.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
And it'll be exclusively released on the Dreamcast 2 that will be announced at E3.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
if they re-release Sonic 3 without the original Ice Cap, Carnival Night and Launch Base tunes we'd better hope the rumor they got Tee Lopes for new tracks is true because he's the only guy I can think of that could make something as good.

The beta/pc tracks just don't cut it either I mean listen to this:

That ain't Ice Cap. That's just cap.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
if they re-release Sonic 3 without the original Ice Cap, Carnival Night and Launch Base tunes we'd better hope the rumor they got Tee Lopes for new tracks is true because he's the only guy I can think of that could make something as good.

Ice cap is the only loss, Beta CNZ and LBZ are both better.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

Ice Cap is definitely the weakest of the three, the composition isn't as good as the others and it sounds noticeably unfinished compared to the others given how the two Acts are basically the same song with minor changes.

I really like the proto Carnival Night and Launch Base tracks though, they're arguably better than the MJ versions. Someone already posted Carnival Night Act 2 which I think is actually one of the best songs in the game, but I like Carnival Night 1 and Launch Base 2 a lot as well.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I legit don't get people who say that the beta Launch Base song is better, it's not only horribly ill fitting (sounds like it belong in Balloon Park, one of the bonus stages, or 3D Blast's Spring Stadium) for the theme of the level (keep in mind that LB was the final level of S3 standalone) but the composition is repetitive and painfully shrill. It's just as bad as the awful beta Ice Cap.

The problem is that unless they remix the entire soundtrack (and at that point you may as well just do a Mania style remaster) I'm not confident that anything Tee Lopes could make would "fit" with the rest, it'd need to be composed with all the restrictions of original hardware in mind or you'd notice when stuff like sound effects aren't overlapping.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No thanks, both sound horrible (specially Launch Base one) and I'd rather keep the tracks from the original release

Launch base opens like a military march and that fits so well for launch base. At this point I would rather the game stops getting the snub and releases with the music that was made for the stages then a pedophiles music.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Zippo has zero credibility.

Dude had a huge page on how the Adventure remakes were cancelled, which were pretty quickly debunked when reaching out to the writers. It's existence could be under NDA or something, but Zippo's record gives me no reason to believe anything he says is true.