Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Well if so, it's one of the worst playing action combats in history. Everything has delays and cooldowns and is clumsy as fuck, the camera is straight out of hell and you fight in super narrow places almost all of the time. For me, it's just a convoluted mess of action, ATB, turn-based and party management mixed into one big shit cocktail of a game. In hindsight, I might hate it even more than Final Fantasy 13's abysmal battle system.

But FFVIIR is definitly an Action RPG, a really good playing one at that. Switching around characters, making combos work and everything having a nice feel to it *chefs kiss*

(FFXIIIs battlesystem is also fantastic - perfected in XIII-2)

AGJTX

Jan 28, 2020
The big concern I seem to be seeing is that Nomura doesn't have the restraint that he had in his early days, but after Kingdom Hearts and his role and importance in the company expanded, it became obvious that some of his more out there designs could be made without ridicule. Kingdom Hearts has nice designs and his early stuff is fine too; as Planetsmasher points out, he made Atma weapon and Cloud has some trademarks of his, but he was restrained and his design felt relatable. However recent character designs are so far removed from normalcy that it's tough to relate to literally any one character.

When Nomura designing this new game's characters, I really, really hope he dials into his young self when he had some restraint . Give these characters flair, sure, but make them relatable in design and not just jpop band boy #233.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Just random thought in my head but Platinum Games has been iffy with recent developments (Scablebound of course, Granblue Fantasy: Relink...maybe Bayonetta 3, its been almost four years since the reveal) its probably nothing but it could be that Babylon's Fall was scrapped and turned into this with a new action developer (Platinum > Team Ninja)....or it could be reaching and Babylon's Fall will be revealed with all its glory along with this new Final Fantasy Origins.
Not sure what's been going on with Babylon's Fall, but

1) Scalebound seems to have been in big part an issue with Microsoft dictating a bit too much with the project that Platinum as a not-too-big developer couldn't handle (not that Platinum wasn't also at fault, to some degree) + IIRC a producer or somesuch on Microsoft's side (who championed Scalebound) leaving which can often create a situation where the people who remain or replace previous people don't want to carry on other people's projects, especially if they are not advancing without issues
2) Platinum was ever only supposed to help create the combat system of Granblue Fantasy and that was to be their role (and to be fair, what they cooked up looked about a million time more interesting than the most recent footage), so I'm not sure if they were "fired" from the job or if their input just wasn't needed anymore
3) Both previous Bayonettas took about 4-5 years to be developed so Bayonetta 3 not being out yet isn't too surprising, especially if they are going all out with it & pushing Switch hardware. If we haven't heard anything maybe by early next year, I'd start to get worried about that.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being a Final Fantasy fan that hates Nomura designs. There have got to be more games you dislike than like at this point.

Punished fandom.

I like Nomura a lot, I just don't think he's necessarily a good fit for this. And he's welcome to prove me wrong, I mean we haven't seen it yet. I swear some of y'all can't process someone thinking about something in less than absolute terms. You have to be either an unrelentingly positive fan or you're a hater.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Hate to be that guy, but the rumor of an FF collection was big for the 30th anniversary of Final Fantasy, and then it didn't materialize. Are we a bit more certain this time around?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Well if so, it's one of the worst playing action combats in history. Everything has delays and cooldowns and is clumsy as fuck, the camera is straight out of hell and you fight in super narrow places almost all of the time. For me, it's just a convoluted mess of action, ATB, turn-based and party management mixed into one big shit cocktail of a game.
You'll get a lot of shit for this, but I agree completely. It's awful.

Hopefully this is just pure action though.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
So, if I've read the last few pages right, this is basically going to be a Nioh-esque game from Team Ninja with Nomura enemy designs and positioned as a prequel to FF1?

Because damn, I suck at Nioh/Souls, but this sounds like a good ass time regardless.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hazarding a guess at squares E3:

FF Origin
FFXVI
Endwalker
Avengers update
Eidos New Game
SE Collective
FF Classics Collection 1 to 6 on Switch, PS4, XBOX etc, day 1 gamepass.
DQ12 Trailer.

Oct 31, 2017
Well if so, it's one of the worst playing action combats in history. Everything has delays and cooldowns and is clumsy as fuck, the camera is straight out of hell and you fight in super narrow places almost all of the time. For me, it's just a convoluted mess of action, ATB, turn-based and party management mixed into one big shit cocktail of a game. In hindsight, I might hate it even more than Final Fantasy 13's abysmal battle system.
You just have bad taste then because VIIR and XIII have wonderful battle systems

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
The two Nioh games play better than any Souls game imo, so Final Fantasy x Nioh sounds right up my street.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So, if I've read the last few pages right, this is basically going to be a Nioh-esque game from Team Ninja with Nomura enemy designs and positioned as a prequel to FF1?

Because damn, I suck at Nioh/Souls, but this sounds like a good ass time regardless.

Basically. Don't expect a one-to-one translation of Nioh's combat, though. It's going to be pretty different, with some common DNA.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure what's been going on with Babylon's Fall, but

3) Both previous Bayonettas took about 4-5 years to be developed so Bayonetta 3 not being out yet isn't too surprising, especially if they are going all out with it & pushing Switch hardware. If we haven't heard anything maybe by early next year, I'd start to get worried about that.

also not sure what's up with babylon's fall, although I would not be surprised if it pops up this year (I also wouldn't be surprised if it got cancelled or something)

regarding bayonetta 3, kamiya made some hints in an interview early this year that suggested we'd be hearing about it by the end of the year, so hope springs eternal

n an interview with VGC, Kamiya was asked about providing an update on Bayonetta 3 in 2021, to which he replied: "It's not really our position to say, but… it's January. We've got to have something come out, right? I guess it's safe to expect that something will come out. There's still a lot of the year left is what I'm saying."

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Forspoken, Final Fantasy Origin, Final Fantasy XVI at E3 this year, KH and FFVIIR likely appearing next year. Feels good to be a Square fan

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I just really want to know more about the FF collection. FF1-2 and 4-6 had GBA versions with additional content, so I'd be mortified if we got ROM dumps of the original NES and SNES games.

But then PSP-esque remasters of all 6 games is totally unrealistic

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just really want to know more about the FF collection. FF1-2 and 4-6 had GBA versions with additional content, so I'd be mortified if we got ROM dumps of the original NES and SNES games.

But then PSP-esque remasters of all 6 games is totally unrealistically

I'm expecting just the OG versions of each game. I'd be ecstatic if they used the 2D PSP remakes but I doubt it.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Nioh is fast, but it's nature as a Souls-like really differentiates it from the flashy character action stuff like DMC, which is what appears to be inspiring XVI. I would expect this to be closer to the former.
Alright, I really like this idea, if that's what the game ends up being.

A more Souls-like action game set in a world filled with Final Fantasy, tropes, lore, equipment, etc., sounds really fun. Having that type of exploration and more grounded combat in an FF world compared to the flashy DMC-esque fight visuals of FF16 (and FF15, to a certain extent) seems like something I could sink my teeth into.

Hresvelg

Feb 22, 2020

But then PSP-esque remasters of all 6 games is totally unrealistically
I'd love updated versions of the GBA ROMs with colors + sound from the SNES versions

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
ARPG FF sounds good to me, but the new game and last game were ARPGs pretty much

I'm looking forward to this but a new turn based game would have had me more excited

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
But...but... MY TACTICS 2
tumblr_nv058lymiS1sjiojbo3_500.gif

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Oh hard disagree. FF7R has one of the best combat systems I've experienced in recent memory. A near-perfect blend of action and strategy. Mainly because it's just an iteration on Kingdom Hearts' gameplay which they've spent almost 20 years experimenting with and refining.
I consider FF7R an action RPG like I consider Dark Souls a JRPG. Like technically true, but not quite what people think of when they see the genre name.

FF7R feels legit closer to a turn based game than action rpg personally
Really? It's exactly what I think of when I hear the name. What on earth is an Action RPG then?

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I'm expecting just the OG versions of each game. I'd be ecstatic if they used the 2D PSP remakes but I doubt it.
The person who mentioned the collection didn't seem to know much about what it actually was....so I kinda hope it's just a miscommunication and it's just FF1&2 and we get 4-6 later. I'd be happy to wait for the other games if it meant getting higher quality remasters.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
FF Origin is also a really bad name for a game that's not going back to FFs origins (turn based)

Status
Not open for further replies.