Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
The info comes from the same person that the past few months has provided The Snitch with details and screenshots of Rise of the Ronin, which he went on to post on his Discord channel. On top of that, he was also the one to inform The Snitch about the development of a God of War: Ragnarok DLC

Still, grain of salt

image.png

image.png

Thank you to Neoxon for the update
famiboards.com

Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

So does anyone else have access to this data or is it only P4bl0, cause no offence it feels kinda off...

SoldierDelta said:
I do want to chase up on the NG point, but here's essentially my take on the information:
  • Nintendo jumping to two SKUs. The confusing BC rumours being affected by this makes sense for me because it seems like noone is sure based on what information exists out there, additionally it'd explain why Nintendo is seemingly drastically increasing the internal storage for both devices by so much due to the digital version. Furthermore Nintendo doesn't want only a "high-end" system that's unaffordable to more casual consumers, having a slightly cheaper "Entry level" system would still keep some of that crowd.
  • The release date. The Gamescom "Demo" that happened in August to gauge Third-Party interest says a lot to me about what Nintendo wants out of third-parties, so giving them around a year to test the system's hardware and get a launch title ready makes sense to me. Furthermore, while I've got a few doubts about the release date itself (that's something to always be concerned about), the Switch 1's release date was 03/03/17. The Switch 2's is (allegedly) 24/09/24. With the timespan given, that seems like a memorable-enough date for a launch date of a Nintendo system. It'd also still allow a 5 month window from reveal to release in, say, April or May.
  • The placeholder date. I fully get people's concerns behind this and it was the only real red flag that I had looking at the information provided. For me, the November date could be like a "If things don't go to plan in the next 5 months, move it back 2 months so we can keep holiday sales" plan. That being said, I'm still not convinced by this. This is the only part of the rumour that gave me a raised eyebrow.
As I've said, this is a rumour that I heard and posted. If you don't believe it or find holes in it, I'm inclined to believe y'all. For now though, because I don't see a 100% deconfirmation for now, I'm keeping this leak in my mind.

Update

image.png

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Switch 2 sounds like hell if it doesn't have at least 1TB, haha.
I heard NG around a lot already, though.

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021
Somewhat surprised to see Nintendo going for an all-digital SKU this soon! Physical is still king for them

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Two SKU's probably makes sense.

Folks who don't care about physical can have the cheaper option.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't see the point of a digital edition on Switch. The space and cost of a cartridge reader is negligible compared to a Blu-ray reader. Very skeptical of this rumor.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Digital only being $50 cheaper would be a best of both worlds scenario for me.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Having two console options for a handheld seems weird. You don't save that much space nor money when you omit the cartridge slot. It just makes producing the console harder for not much benefit.

Deleted member 158819

Sep 19, 2023
Two SKUs will actually be:
Super Nintendo Switch Home: $299
Super Nintendo Switch: $399

Lock it in.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Do we know anything about backwards compatibility? I guess I've got about a year to beat a handful of last remaining games. I'm not repeating my mistake from 3DS days and missing out on a classic!

edwardvh

Dec 11, 2018
Digital makes sense nowadays. Steam is too mainstream for not consider the only digital option.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. I pretty much buy digital on Nintendo. But, would probably still want the slot there as an option. But, if that is the only difference, I suppose I would grab whichever one the scalpers allow me to get ahold of first.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the point of a digital edition on Switch. The space and cost of a cartridge reader is negligible compared to a Blu-ray reader. Very skeptical of this rumor.
Digital would be for more profit from digital sales, not to save money on hardware. They'd want to ease people in to make more digital purchases by having the option.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely going for digital only again, so having a cheaper SKU for that is welcome

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
If true, it is a bit pricey for me at the moment.*

Still, the only physical cart I even have is for Ring Fit, so I would be going for the digital SKU whenever I end up taking a plunge.

* For me. This is not a "it needs to be cheap to sell" argument. This will probably sell out before you can refresh a website.

Royce

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
In Japan NG commonly means Not Good. I have trouble believing this, or maybe it's the codename used in the West.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
You know I would actually consider the digital only version if it wasn't for the like, 8 physical switch games I own.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Would be a shame not to do OLED at that price point tbh especially since they can get better deals than those PC handhelds since they'd be buying a lot more volume.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Digital would be for more profit from digital sales, not to save money on hardware. They'd want to ease people in to make more digital purchases by having the option.
Maaaaaaybe.
But the more I think about it, the more I doubt it. We know that console prices are not decided so far in advance. And $400 is still a disproportionately high price for the "cheap" version.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Was the GOW: Ragnarok DLC confirmed?

Anyways might be true but if you asked me to pull a plausible sounding Switch 2 rumor out of my arse that is exactly what I would have guessed aswell.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, isn't NG what Activision called it, meaning Next Gen, weird that it could be the official internal codename all along.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Would be a shame not to do OLED at that price point tbh especially since they can get better deals than those PC handhelds since they'd be buying a lot more volume.

Yeah my first thought coming into this thread was that one must be OLED. 450 would be steep for a LCD though.