• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

View: https://x.com/PhysicalMedia_/status/1780688163243164136

FWIW: This account has posted memes and other questionable content like an AI generated Deadpool 3 popcorn bucket but given that a lot of people have all mentioned about how poor of a selection their Targets have right now, it feels like this is an inevitable thing. If mods wanna close this thread cause of the shotty source, I get it.

Last edited:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotaly from the state of the physical media (games/music/movies) at Targets now this wouldn't surprise me. Its like one shelf for vinyl, one shelf for movies/tv shows, and a section for each game platform.. at some point its probably not worth the valuable shelf space if its just not moving in high numbers anymore and no longer effective as a loss leader.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
They already significantly reduced the footprint of that section at my Target so I believe it

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
makes sense for a retailer

figure things like Amazon or digital stores/warehouses will be the last holdouts

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Target has been transitioning toward this for like a decade, but it sucks to see it really happening. There's going to be nowhere to go to buy physical product soon.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is inevitable. I barely ever see folks in those sections and they're already smaller than ever. Only physical section I recall people browsing in are the records.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
It's going to be very weird not having a reason to go into stores for anything other than food.

I used to go to Walmart and Target to look at new releases and inevitably buy a bunch of snacks or cheap movies. Now I had no reason to go.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
End of an era. :(

I would go to a Target run Tuesdays for the new DVD/Bluray releases.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is potentially true and something most people could assume just by looking at their current selection of movies. But this isn't a reliable source, just like the thread about the "Sam Raimi in talks to direct Spider-Man 4" rumor wasn't from a reliable source. This account posts fake news and shit-posts.

FWIW: This account has over 30K followers and is even followed by the official Lionsgate Twitter account so they might actually have real sources.

That's not how it works.

I'm followed by Obama but I don't know any government secrets.

Coolent

Apr 13, 2024
i support this. A lot of people don't even have dvd and blu ray players anymore and it would give Target much needed space.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
While this sounds like real bummer news on the face of it, Target's already a physical media wasteland, at least near me. Nothing really lost here.

PatAndTheCat

Apr 1, 2024
Good. Less waste for the environment and chances are you're going to buy it on Amazon after seeing it in stores anyway

Namikaze1

Oct 25, 2017
My local Target's bluray/dvd section is pretty much nonexistent and gaming's is far more smaller than it was years ago.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
My targets already a wasteland for this stuff sadly. I wonder if the plan is to expand the book isles and other stuff. Feels like I've been watching it slowly grow over the past 4 years.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
My local Targets basically started this last gen. There's more shelf space for prepaid cards than actual games in the two stores I shop at.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Actually looking at the target physical media area is wild. Makes no sense it still exists in the way it does.

Honestly, if the market still exists we should see a revival of old school games stores. They went away because Gamestop and big box retailers sucked up the market. They'll either get their book store revival moment or it'll all just go away quietly.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Dang. I was a huge proponent with music streaming, and now TV shows/movies that buying media is actually the better choice over subscriptions long term for the cost. I realize not everyone feels that way. I have a small curated library of Blu-ray content that allows me to cancel streaming at any time without feeling a loss. It would be really unfortunate to be forced out of that.

The good news is we're probably only a few years away from the next major codecs being released, which for even more people will close a lot of the quality gap between streaming and disc-based media. Still - just like cable, the incentive is going to be to compress, compress, compress to save on costs.
people actually buy physical books still?

i feel like that's the biggest waste of space/resources. save a fkin tree
I've found I read less with Kindles, and that I'm more likely to read if it's a physical book. Arguably better to buy a physical book that's recyclable and can be passed down than some device that's going to be e-waste in West Africa in 3-5 years like my last two Kindles.

www.cbsnews.com

The tragic costs of e-waste

According to the U.N., about 50 million tons of electronic waste (or e-waste) are produced every year, the vast majority of which winds up strewn in landfills in the global South, where people sift through the electronic debris in search of valuable metals. Correspondent Seth Doane looks at the...

Status
Not open for further replies.