• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
This sucks so much. I used to find so many good deals on Blu-Rays during Black Friday. Now there's barely even a section for movies.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Not gonna lie, I legit can't remember the last time I bought physical media in stores.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy looking at physical stuff, even if I'm not planning on buying something (and sometimes I do). Already online shopping can be annoying. I buy collectibles that share a single SKU sometimes, and online will sell "at random" and then scalpers (aka online toy stores) will post then at bloated prices. You pretty much need to look for them in stores yourself.

But besides that, I like looking at different shops and things when travelling. I find it fun, or like, finding a retro game store or something to poke around in. Getting stuff at home is losing it's special feeling for me.

Yeah, I agree.
I'm a toy collector, and I miss the fun of hunting for new things. Going around to several stores to try to find what you're looking for, and then the thrill of finding it. Making a pre-order and then having it show up a few months later just isn't the same at all.

Physical media is only one small section in any Target. You guys are acting like there's no reason for the place to exist now. Haha.

You know how Targets are always packed with people? They're buying everything else.

You're not wrong. The stores aren't going to go away.
The problem is all the fun stuff is going away.

Like it used to be go there to pick up some soup and a pack of socks, but while I'm there I might as well pop over to the video game section and see what's there or if anything good is on sale. Then go spend some time in the movie section. Maybe grab something new to watch this weekend. Then check out the Transformers section and see if there's any new figures I don't have. Fun!

Now it's go there to pick up socks and some soup, and then leave. Woo.
At least the toy section is still there, but distrubution has sucked so much since Covid that it might as well not be there.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I enjoy looking at physical stuff, even if I'm not planning on buying something
they should bring back Blockbuster, but you cant rent anything

you simple pay $3, go in, wander around looking at all the movies and games, picking up the boxes and reading the backs, watching some trailers and cringe Blockbuster ads on the hanging CRT, smell the weird microwave popcorn smells coming from the POPZ kettle corn buckets, and then leave

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Funny how places are killing physical storefronts at the same time that digital storefronts have increasingly become horrible messes. So many of the 'big box' online places have made it impossible to search, get accurate product info, etc.

I've found I read less with Kindles, and that I'm more likely to read if it's a physical book. Arguably better to buy a physical book that's recyclable and can be passed down than some device that's going to be e-waste in West Africa in 3-5 years like my last two Kindles.

www.cbsnews.com

The tragic costs of e-waste

According to the U.N., about 50 million tons of electronic waste (or e-waste) are produced every year, the vast majority of which winds up strewn in landfills in the global South, where people sift through the electronic debris in search of valuable metals. Correspondent Seth Doane looks at the...
Word. I buy and read lots of physical books, and they never break or become obsolete. They just work, entirely standalone. It's a beautiful thing when all other media require players to function.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I've had to limp back to GameStop with my tail between my legs since Target/Walmart/Best Buy apparently don't care about stocking their game sections anymore.

This would definitely not surprise me.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
they should bring back Blockbuster, but you cant rent anything

you simple pay $3, go in, wander around looking at all the movies and games, picking up the boxes and reading the backs, watching some trailers and cringe Blockbuster ads on the hanging CRT, smell the weird microwave popcorn smells coming from the POPZ kettle corn buckets, and then leave

They already do this at various county fairs and conventions, so The Blockbuster Experience actually exists.

I can tell when people don't like the enjoyment of window-shopping though.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy looking at physical stuff, even if I'm not planning on buying something (and sometimes I do). Already online shopping can be annoying. I buy collectibles that share a single SKU sometimes, and online will sell "at random" and then scalpers (aka online toy stores) will post then at bloated prices. You pretty much need to look for them in stores yourself.

But besides that, I like looking at different shops and things when travelling. I find it fun, or like, finding a retro game store or something to poke around in. Getting stuff at home is losing it's special feeling for me.

The problem I have with online shopping is it focuses much more on you already knowing what you're looking for, searching for that specific item and then buying it. It does not cater well to browsing and discovery let alone when you're not exactly sure what you're looking for. Often times when I'm gift shopping, shopping online just doesn't do it for me and I'll head to the mall where I can just browse and get ideas that I wouldn't have found otherwise. Physical stores show me choices and options and making discovery much easier than an online store.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Target actually carries a lot of niche boutique companies online. Makes their B2G1 sales a perfect time to stock up on Blu-Rays.

Will be a real shame if they get rid of it online too.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The problem I have with online shopping is it focuses much more on you already knowing what you're looking for, searching for that specific item and then buying it. It does not cater well to browsing and discovery let alone when you're not exactly sure what you're looking for. Often times when I'm gift shopping, shopping online just doesn't do it for me and I'll head to the mall where I can just browse and get ideas that I wouldn't have found otherwise. Physical stores show me choices and options and making discovery much easier than an online store.

Yeah I think the discovery is a big part of it, when you find something you didn't know you were looking for, or that even exists. Also makes for conversation when out and about. I enjoy my visuals, and honestly, it beats skimming through marked up drop-ship items too.

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
Not surprised to hear about this at the retail stores, but losing them as an online option would be a damn shame. They're the ones that got me my Cameron 4K discs 🤣

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
Gonna be difficult to actually own stuff in the future. Everything is just going to be leased to you though subscriptions models.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Would be funny if books and vinyls are the only physical media to prevail

Boutique home media companies are thriving and keep popping up more and more, so they'll still be around on their own storefronts.

It's actually kind of hilarious. You can get a bunch of old Italian horror movies in 4K through boutique companies, but you're desperately hoping that movies up for Oscars get any kind of physical release.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think the discovery is a big part of it, when you find something you didn't know you were looking for, or that even exists. Also makes for conversation when out and about. I enjoy my visuals, and honestly, it beats skimming through marked up drop-ship items too.

Ya, I completely agree. To make things worse, I just got back from Japan and shopping at stores there is like heaven by comparison to how stores are now here. I mean it was always better even a couple decades now, but it feels like the options shown to you compared to here has widen the gap because we're losing so many stores that focus on specific categories. Heck, it's amazing that the Tower Records in Shibuya is still there and it's just 7 floors of stuff to look through. I can't remember the last time I even saw or stepped foot into a music store around here now that most of them are gone in the Bay Area.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
And most people are perfectly fine with not owning anything.
I understand the convivence angle, but I truly can't fathom why everyone is simply okay with giving up ownership. I really can't. I know people are gonna try to reply to this and tell me all of the understandable and obvious explanations as to why this is the case, but the idea of just being ok with subscription services that are constantly rising in price is beyond me.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Ya, I completely agree. To make things worse, I just got back from Japan and shopping at stores there is like heaven by comparison to how stores are now here. I mean it was always better even a couple decades now, but it feels like the options shown to you compared to here has widen the gap because we're losing so many stores that focus on specific categories. Heck, it's amazing that the Tower Records in Shibuya is still there and it's just 7 floors of stuff to look through. I can't remember the last time I even saw or stepped foot into a music store around here now that most of them are gone in the Bay Area.

I love watching videos in Japan with the floors and floors of just stuff to look at, almost like mini museums of visual-overload. I've never been though.

I do wonder if brick and motor will come back in a sense of companies popping up and wanting growth in terms of constant expansion, to appropriately place specialty stores around. I feel like Texas and the midwest is spoiled by an abundance of these places, that I alwsys see on videos. And Fry's are all gone, but now Micro Center is coming back to Santa Clara! A bunch of my friends, who sure, buy stuff online, are excited for it!

The bigger thing here with "physical movies etc are dying" is also the bigger talk of "physical stores are dying to internet shopping" and that's not entirely true either. I feel like both still has a place in the US, but more of a strategy is needed for it, but something that can survive.

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
Well this sucks, I don't get the no online either, But this is a big blow. RIP to the 33% off "glitch" via the B2G1 free and canceling trick.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I understand the convivence angle, but I truly can't fathom why everyone is simply okay with giving up ownership. I really can't. I know people are gonna try to reply to this and tell me all of the understandable and obvious explanations as to why this is the case, but the idea of just being ok with subscription services that are constantly rising in price is beyond me.

I've always wondered what the correlation is with this and home ownership. If there was no lack of space with renting something probably smaller, would this open some people up to purchasing some things they enjoy?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If Target stops selling physical media then how is Taylor Swift going to sell exclusive versions of her albums?

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Honestly, if the market still exists we should see a revival of old school games stores.

That may already be happening. I know of at least 4 mom n' pop game stores within a 30 mile radius and I don't live in or near a big city. One just opened up a new store in my fairly small hometown. These stores focus on retro video games of course along with MtG, Warhammer, etc but before too long all physical video games will be "retro".

Oct 27, 2017
This is honestly no real loss. Target is not competitive in the physical media space. My location has UHDs and Blu-rays in the entryway. I look every time and walk right past because I'm not paying $25 for a disc.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Sucks physical is going away but hopefully this leads to stores pushing their own digital deals in comparison to steam, psn, eshop and Xbox

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Movies, and even Xbox/PS5 games I can see based on my local Targets but the Switch sections are always well stocked and crowded. I can't see them abandoning that

icecream

Oct 27, 2017
Seems a lot of people here are burying the lede in the rumor saying Target won't even sell physical media online. Doesn't matter if you don't think people don't go into a store to buy stuff anymore, but no online shopping is a vote of no-confidence against the sustainability of physical media for sure.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly no real loss. Target is not competitive in the physical media space. My location has UHDs and Blu-rays in the entryway. I look every time and walk right past because I'm not paying $25 for a disc.

It is a real loss because they often do a B2G1 sale multiple times a year on movies and TV shows which gets them to a pretty good price. Plus add on an extra 5% off with the Red Card and the fact that you don't actually need to buy three items to get 33% off and they apply to preorders, that means we're losing out if the rumor is true they plan to exist. It's a big loss IMO, especially after Best Buy left.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed the movie section got downsized, but the music section got bigger mainly due K-pop releases.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
First Best Buy and now potentially Target. I guess I'm just going to have to keep hitting up secondhand stores to get my blu-rays.

Oct 27, 2017
It is a real loss because they often do a B2G1 sale multiple times a year on movies and TV shows which gets them to a pretty good price. Plus add on an extra 5% off with the Red Card and the fact that you don't actually need to buy three items to get 33% off and they apply to preorders, that means we're losing out if the rumor is true they plan to exist. It's a big loss IMO, especially after Best Buy left.
I can see that being the case for the more devoted. I'm only at Target to pick up deo or TP with the kids in tow. I'd love to grab the occasional movie on a whim but it's usually $5-10 more than other sources so why bother.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I can see that being the case for the more devoted. I'm only at Target to pick up deo or TP with the kids in tow. I'd love to grab the occasional movie on a whim but it's usually $5-10 more than other sources so why bother.

Options are good. The less options out there means other sources can raise their prices when there's no competition to keep them in check. So those other sources will likely go up in price now that Best Buy and Target are gone. Amazon will likely stop having their B2G1 sales that they do to match Target's.

Eye Konik

Nov 17, 2023
Yeah, I was at Target during Christmas season and the video game section was literally barren. There were no games there, just accessories and game cards.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I love having physical media (mostly games), but I also like being able to pick up lots of it at discount from different retailers. Black Friday pricing won't be the same when no one sells physical copies of games, and I doubt these chains will feel the need to compete with each other, like shaving $5 off the standard Ubisoft 3-week discount just to scoop up more purchases

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhat related, but for anyone else, is this a large part of the reason why Black Friday sales became uninteresting? Without the physical movie and game anchor - the TV, SSD, whatever sales just haven't been able to carry it for me, and has left us with "Amazon's garage sale."

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
A shame, but not surprising. Our local Target has more bookshelves than they do movies or music-related releases. Which is nice I guess, but I'd rather to go B&N.

I prefer physical media. I'm really sick of trying to hunt shit down on streaming. I don't want more than one service.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
There's a fairly chance this ends up being true, but there's a next-to-zero chance this source is actually legitimate. That said,
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
people actually buy physical books still?

i feel like that's the biggest waste of space/resources. save a fkin tree
Physical books rebounded a lot after COVID and IIRC they are back a lot of the market share they'd lost to digital. Other than saving space, there's essentially no benefit to ebooks when you typically only need access to one, maybe two books for days or even weeks at a time, there's not much of a cost benefit, and books are pleasing collectables like vinyl. Personally, I also significantly prefer the tactile experience of reading a physical book - the ebook experience feels far inferior to me, in a way that's far more tangible than the differences between digital and physical versions of most other media.

I mean that's part of what killed K-mart so good luck
Movie sales and non-Switch software are sub-margin-of-error-tier in terms of the percentage of total sales. They'll be fine.

Well this sucks, I don't get the no online either, But this is a big blow. RIP to the 33% off "glitch" via the B2G1 free and canceling trick.
Not a glitch, the terms of the deal explicitly lay out how the deal functions in that way if you return or cancel items.

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Part of me wishes everything was just print-on-demand.

If I want a Blu-Ray of fucking Apple Dumpling Gang for some reason I should be able to get Disney to slap a blank disc in a burner and send me a copy.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

For me, I had some of my games and a console stolen years ago, and when I replaced the console, I got all of my digital stuff back and (obviously) none of the physical stuff.

Life's too short for me to care about "owning" something. Can't take it with me and all that. I still have three rows of DVDs but I only occasionally pull one out to watch.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Target is the nearest retailer that stocks physical games for me, so this sucks. But also, the Target games section never had anyone at the desk. You'd have to buzz for them, hope they have the right key, and show them where the game you want is. It was like pulling teeth.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Specialty stores will make a comeback. They already exist and are selling newer titles; that's as far as it's probably going to go. Big box stores won't be the one stop shops anymore, but other, probably local places will pick up the slack.

Status
Not open for further replies.