• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 11, 2018
I think they're gonna shoot for it, but miss. Odyssey 2 will go up against next gen, and BotW 2 will release in the first half of 2021.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Don't have a clue who Sabi is (I'm new to this whole forum thing and haven't followed video game leaks since probably the release of Smash Bros. Brawl), but I've always seen November 2020 as Nintendo's target date, for a host of reasons:

-- Direct sequel to an existing Zelda game on the same machine.

-- No change in art style or (presumably) controls (Nintendo spends most of its development time fiddling with controls and gimmicks and then coming up with an artstyle to match that. All that work's already been done).

-- Presumably, no (or very little) change to the physics engine, either (remember, the physics engine was why the first game missed its initial 2015 date).

-- Aonuma himself said this game basically grew out of ideas leftover from the BotW DLC, meaning it was never envisioned as a completely new, from-the-ground-up, reinvent-the-wheel sort of sequel.

-- This is speculative, but it's very likely that the core gameplay concepts (like Link's arm powers) were already experimented on somewhat during the development of the first game, meaning they have a head start on that part of the game, which, again, is usually where Nintendo spends most of its time.

-- Development likely started sometime in 2017, giving the game 3 full years of development by next year.

-- Aonuma himself once said they wanted to get the development time for these games down to 3 years. He hasn't hit that goal yet. Maybe he still wants to?

-- It will likely take place in a modified version of the first game's Hyrule, meaning they won't be designing a completely new map, either.

-- And of course, the game will probably heavily re-use the first game's assets, drastically cutting down the workload.

-- Unless things go really, really bad (or unless the Switch 2 is much closer than anyone realizes), there should be practically no temptation for Nintendo to hold this game over to its next system, which has happened in 2 out of the last 3 console Zelda releases. This alone will have a drastic impact on the release date.

-- Nintendo will likely use this game to go head-to-head with its competitors' new hardware releases next year. They have a history of doing this: Majora's Mask released on the same day as the PS2 in North America.

We haven't seen all these factors converge like this for a new console Zelda game since MM, which was also the last console Zelda game to be both 1) properly finished and 2) not delayed. It's been decades--literally, decades, plural--since a new console Zelda game got announced and released on time and came out without a hitch. There are probably people on this forum who weren't even alive the last time that happened, or at least were too young to remember it. Will it finally happen again?

(By the way, what's the current thread to discuss the game here? I've got tons to say about what Nintendo might do/what I'd like to see them do. Where should I go to discuss it?)

People speculate that the underground setting of the teaser implies the map is getting expanded underground and that the game is darker. I don't think either are true. It's just the story setup. The key gameplay premise image for BotW2 is actually this:

Hyrule castle is raising up.

OK lets think this through; This is the sequel to BotW, a game praised for it's freedom including the ability to charge the end from very early if you want. So if Hyrule Castle was the final goal yet again, they wouldn't raise it and make it inaccessible to the player. The reason Hyrule castle is getting raised is because its getting moved. Moved somewhere on the existing BotW map? That would hardly be interesting. We all know how to get around on the BotW map. My guess is, it's getting moved far off the BotW map and will provide a key motivation for the new adventure. The most likely expansion is to the south east, across the ocean. Ship sailing would be a great key feature that BotW lacked. Complex sailing with reefs and islands combined with underwater exploration and you have a great feature set for a sequel. Expand the map by 3-4 times. I'm hoping for Zelda being playable or AI coop companion too. This would be an awesome sequel. Caves, while appreciated, were actually present in BotW and not strongly missing. Underwater swimming and sailing (and flying via machine) were sorely missing.

In all likelihood, the castle is getting raised because it's going to spend the game floating in the air, and Link's goal will be to get back to it.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
When Zell says "internally scheduled for 2020" everyone is like "OH WOW"
When Sabi says "internally scheduled for 2020" everyone is like "LMAO"
A leaker who get's their information from people who hack retailer databases, wouldn't have that information stored in it.
Not to mention it could be 2020 but can always be delayed bullshit to come back to and say, yes, I was right either way.
Info on digital only games come from retailer databases too I guess, ok then

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
[
I said it before and I'll say it again: I'd be right in if Hyrule rising out of the ground is suggesting the game is taking place on mega islands floating in the sky, Laputa-style. I suppose it'd be similar to Skyward Sword but as a completely open world with a vast emphasis on exploration like BOTW, flying and floating across the skies to islands above and below. Could even make sense if it were "the same overworld" but just broken into giant, near-unrecognizable chunks of floating lands. I just can't see it being the same map especially considering BOTW was so praised for its exploration and discovery.

Would honestly be the coolest open world ever almost immediately and I lament that we don't get more open worlds that aren't just flat landmasses of wilderness.
I think fans would be very let down if we didn't get a lot more map. I think there is a chance they do include the original games map and vastly expand on it. It would be fun to check in on some of the POIs of the first game to see how they're doing, maybe find some new things. But the meat would be exploring all the newly expanded areas. I'm hoping the BotW Hyrule becomes the upper left quadrant and we get 3-4 times more map much of which is ocean sailing. The quest would feel more epic and important too.

It wouldn't be the first time Nintendo reused a successful Zelda games map.
bBT1y.jpg

overworld-bg.png

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
Where's the port of Wind Waker HD then?

And Twilight Princess too. I also would be surprised if we do not get a Skyward Sword HD on Switch.
"narrative focused Zelda" has never really been a thing though...
You sir are a liar.
Why not both?
2d Zelda requires a much smaller team, and they made an engine for links awakening.
Yes. It's not like we did not have new 2D Zelda games since the first 3D Zelda.
Nah they've repeatedly said the expect the Switch to last longer than usual. I'd guess Switch 2 will come out around 2023. Maybe a pro in 2021 but not positioned as a successor, and without any exclusive games.
2023 would not be longer than usual anyway.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
It's most likely going to keep the same skeleton as BOTW. Big world, shrines, openness. But each Zelda game has a unique hook, this one might have to do with some dark world or underworld you have access too. Maybe Zelda coop sections. I absolutely believe they have to include real dungeons, less mini shrines. We will learn what the hook is at e3 most likely and it will be part of the title as usual.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
[

I think fans would be very let down if we didn't get a lot more map. I think there is a chance they do include the original games map and vastly expand on it. It would be fun to check in on some of the POIs of the first game to see how they're doing, maybe find some new things. But the meat would be exploring all the newly expanded areas. I'm hoping the BotW Hyrule becomes the upper left quadrant and we get 3-4 times more map much of which is ocean sailing. The quest would feel more epic and important too.

It wouldn't be the first time Nintendo reused a successful Zelda games map.
bBT1y.jpg

overworld-bg.png
I just think it's dangerous to expect too much completely new terrain. Aonuma did say that this game was going to take place in the same world, and that BotW 2 grew out of ideas leftover from the DLC of BotW 1. To me, that sounds more like we should be expecting new experiences within the BotW 1 world, rather than the BotW experience recreated in another world.

Besides, there's plenty they could do to make BotW 1's map feel fresh. Simply having all the ruins of the villages rebuilt will make a big difference, for starters. And I think there's a strong possibility the game will feature a vast underground section (basically a recreation of the first game's underground labryinths). Who knows what other landscape features will be different. Mountainous terrain could be leveled; new lakes and springs could have been dug up; some of the races of creatures might have moved.

I don't think we should be expecting another game with the same focus on survivalist exploration as the first BotW. BotW 2 will be providing a different kind of experience. I think it'll be kinda like the change from standard OoT to Master Quest OoT--a lot that's very recognizable, but different in enough places to throw experienced players off. (I mean, it's a new game, not a remixed version of an old one, so it'll be more different than that, but I really don't think we should be expecting to get the BotW experience again, just in a different land. That's not how Nintendo is approaching this, I feel.)

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I would actually really enjoy a BOTW1 world that showed changes over time. It's a huge map with a large part of the terrain underutilized. There could be new settlements and new signs of life in a post-war kingdom. That's what interests me about a direct BOTW sequel. Making a new map for the sake of it feels like Termina to me. Memorable character experiences but that overworld was really boring. Clock Town was obviously amazing and Majora's Mask still had good tows and villages but the connective tissue was really weak.