• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
This is brilliant news then, as these long gaps allows thier talented teams to really reshape the series in drastic ways.

- Crouch to stealth (game changer)
- RPG progression (love that it encourages side quests to reach level barriers)
- UI
- Combat (far from perfect but much more challenging and definitely in the right direction)

I'm still playing Origins , ive not been able to play Yakuza 6/Monster Hunter/God of War because I'm obsessed with the world they've built, it perhaps for me one of the greatest representation of a culture, land and people in any game created, and exploring this land is a sublime experience.

I adore Bayek, his moral compass is clear as well, so happy to see him return.
I think the thing I loved most about the map in Origins is how the scale and human functionality make sense.

Example:

Pick any Military or Bandit base. You'll have/see areas in which the AI sleeps, patrols, stores food and items (although we don't see them doing this often), prison cells/cages, pratice ranges, general hangout places in the base and more.

What I mean to say is that for once you can actually imagine humans living/using those bases, cities, etc because they actually make damn sense from a scale and functionality perspective. Not all of course, but for the most part, I feel they nailed this aspect right on it's head. And that makes a world of difference in terms of immersion (for me at least) as I can clearly picture the world for myself.

It's perhaps a "small" detail, but one that for me makes or breaks how real a world is.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
i Skipped origins, as i did most.... hell, since Brotherhood to be perfectly honest.

Started Black flag, started Liberation, never made after a few hours... revelations i think i stopped about 10 hours in. Been following the series up close with great interest, but the "want" of play never really grabbed me again. I dunno, felt like ... it got a bit souless. The first few games had a bit more meaning to me, it was building up to somehting. Im not even talking about the future storyline, i mean, even lore-wise each game added another layer to the world of Assassin's Vs Templars and that worldbuilding was engaging...

Now it just feels really like "Hey you like this year's gimmick? You can fuck around with it for 30 or so hours and have a good time" which is fine... i guess... just not really what i wanted.

To be totally honest about it, China and Japan interest me because Assassin's Creed in those regions is the closest i can get to a new tenchu game nowadays, so im into that.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Origins was the wrong game to skip. It's in essence a gameplay reboot, a good one at that. It doesn't have the depth of games like Witcher 3, but it's as close to the idea of the first AC's "open hitman sandbox" we've gotten. Stealth still could be better, combat now just needs some proper fine tunning and we know they can build wonderful worlds (they just gotta get better at making more than 1-2 towns meaningful).

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
i was already bored to tears with Origins... now that without the interesting Egypt landscape but in...Greece? Not for me i guess...

Assassins Creed in China that is something i could get along with...but not Greece or Rome, sounds sleep inducing
Kind of sounds like you don't really like assassins creed games regardless of setting, which is cool! They have a very specific loop.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
dynasty.jpg

An assassin's creed with characters I can relate, AT LAST!

An assassins creed game set only around Aaron spelling 80s soap operas would be the GOAT

Your mission is to rescue Tori Spelling

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's true but out this year not early next year.

Assassins Creed is one of the few games to stand up to Red Dead Redemption 2. Splinter Cell will be destroyed as its been so long since the last title.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Greece seems like an obvious choice for a quality location they haven't done yet, and fits well with the Origins formula of a big space with lots of smaller city environments scattered throughout, but Flavian dynasty seems like a really odd choice for time period. It doesn't really have any major characters or events who are known well in pop culture in the way the periods they usually pick do. Feels like you'd want to go a bit earlier and get Augustus or maybe do Nero or Caligula as a villain, if you don't want to go pre-Origins to do an actual, pre-Roman Ancient Greece game. Hard to see people getting hyped for... Vespasian? Also it puts you far enough forward that Bayek and Aya have to be dead, denying you even those cameos.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Greece seems like an obvious choice for a quality location they haven't done yet, and fits well with the Origins formula of a big space with lots of smaller city environments scattered throughout, but Flavian dynasty seems like a really odd choice for time period. It doesn't really have any major characters or events who are known well in pop culture in the way the periods they usually pick do. Feels like you'd want to go a bit earlier and get Augustus or maybe do Nero or Caligula as a villain, if you don't want to go pre-Origins to do an actual, pre-Roman Ancient Greece game. Hard to see people getting hyped for... Vespasian? Also it puts you far enough forward that Bayek and Aya have to be dead, denying you even those cameos.

I think the era is incorrect. Cleopatra is still alive at the end of Origins and that would be something big they would cover.

I think it's a new character under orders from Bayek to expand into Greece.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'd prefer to see their take on Japan but China is cool too. I would love a location in South America eventually too.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I think the era is incorrect. Cleopatra is still alive at the end of Origins and that would be something big they would cover.

I think it's a new character under orders from Bayek to expand into Greece.

thats what i reckon - although i think they may do an 'add-on' AC this year - maybe a $40 add on which you can also buy standalone. Then next year a full era change

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
What's wrong with China?
I guess there's nothing wrong with it. But I really like what Ubisoft did with Bayek and Egypt. I would like to see them evolve on that instead of dropping it and moving to a completely different location and period. I wouldn't mind a Bayek trilogy but it doesn't seem like we're getting that.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
If the gameplay and story get the attention like it got in Origins, AND it's set in China, then it's Day 1 for me.

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be cool if we played as Jun. She was alright.

Off topic but Embers was an alright send off for Ezio, could've been better but I'm glad it exists.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Patiently waiting for the usual suspects to show up and give a cryptic thumbs up or thumbs down to this rumor so I can know whether to take it seriously.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
This is brilliant news then, as these long gaps allows thier talented teams to really reshape the series in drastic ways.

- Crouch to stealth (game changer)
- RPG progression (love that it encourages side quests to reach level barriers)
- UI
- Combat (far from perfect but much more challenging and definitely in the right direction)

I'm still playing Origins , ive not been able to play Yakuza 6/Monster Hunter/God of War because I'm obsessed with the world they've built, it perhaps for me one of the greatest representation of a culture, land and people in any game created, and exploring this land is a sublime experience.

I adore Bayek, his moral compass is clear as well, so happy to see him return.
This is where I'm at with Origins as well (although I don't have any consoles, so I can't play the three games in bold). I have a ton of games that I've been meaning to get to, but the past 2.5 months have just been filled with AC Origins and a little Sea of Thieves. I played for another 3 or so hours yesterday. I'm working on finishing up all of the stuff in the first area before moving onto the expansions.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope that new Splinter Cell is not a fucking open world.

Assassin games is giving back that annual game shit image again. It's wrong. The path they entered with Origins is great, but game have a lot problems. Bayek was an empty character that was no different from an NPC, story is empty, events, action scenes are banal, modern day was horrible. They need to work with proper writers. And they need a iconic characters like before. You can't do that things in such a short time.

Last edited:

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One day people will realize how painfully boring the naval stuff in these games are and stop asking for it to repeat over and over in each AC.

Social Stealth returning could be big but I'll wait and see how it actually plays. Like AC1 I'm not expecting anything more than Hitman-lite in terms of depth.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
thats what i reckon - although i think they may do an 'add-on' AC this year - maybe a $40 add on which you can also buy standalone. Then next year a full era change

Yeah, doing a Anthony/Cleopatra/Octavian expansion for $30ish leading up to Aya's assassination of Cleopatra makes the most sense to me. It would largely be reusing the Egypt map, so it doesn't make much sense for a stand-alone game, but the Origins story feels incomplete without it. And it would be a good way for them to release something in the off year without people getting too mad about annualization.

Then Greece can be the year after. I think time period-wise I'd still rather see them go backwards to pre-Roman Greece than forward to a less-interesting era just so they can pitch it as being tied into Bayek's story. And there is lots of earlier stuff they could delve into lore-wise, too, around the wristblade that predates Bayek and the piece of Eden that ended up in Alexander's tomb.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The new rumor seems believable enough, especially since it would allow them to reuse a lot of assets.

2 more games and then, finally, having one set in Japan sounds both terrible and great. Terrible since I've been wanting one set in Japan for 11 years but great since it might actually happen.

It's probably bullshit, though.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
This seems legit. I keep wondering though if a new AC or even Watch Doges is coming this fall? If neither is coming out what would Ubi have fir the end of the year? Just seems a year too soon for both of these games to me

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
This seems legit. I keep wondering though if a new AC or even Watch Doges is coming this fall? If neither is coming out what would Ubi have fir the end of the year? Just seems a year too soon for both of these games to me
The Division 2 maybe? I can see them announcing a Battle Royale game for late this year at E3 too.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
The Division 2 maybe? I can see them announcing a Battle Royale game for late this year at E3 too.

Oh yeah the Division , true. I'm skeptical that Watch Dogs 3 ot AC Dynasty are this year. I think they are safely 2019 titles but yeah Ubi will need something noteworthy this fall if that's the case. I'm not in a big hurry for either of these so 2019 is A-OK with me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.