• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
That's a shame if true as Watch Dogs 2 was a genuinely great game. Probably my favourite non-GTA modern open-world title.

I don't think it sold that brilliantly originally did it? I seem to recall I picked it up on sale fairly quickly - though that was pretty typical for Ubisoft - and seeing it included in retail/PSN sales pretty often thereafter.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
It's a shame if you ask me.

Watch Dogs 1 = Wasn't the best, but I had faith in Ubisoft to come good with a sequel (like they did back with Assassins Creed, The Crew etc.)

Watch Dogs 2 = Was fantastic. Everything I wanted it to be. Had me very hyped for what came next.

Watch Dogs Legion = An experiment, but a failed one for sure. The randomised characters meant a lot of the action felt fairly generic and it was hard to feel any attachment to what was happening in the story. Also, as a Londoner, I was also gutted to see how they treated the city as well. It didn't need the 'future evil corpo' stuff and it took away a lot of the character of the city to replace it with generic future city stuff. Also, to have so many amazing potential level locations (Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, Madame Tussauds, Harrods etc.) and then to set most of the missions in generic car parks, factories and offices was a huge miss for me.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I think Legion is appealing to people who play, say, tactical game or resource management games where they're less concerned about playing a character and more about utilizing resources, but that's absolutely not the audience they built with the two games.

It's a shame because while I'm not interested at all in that concept, an attempt at being innovative shouldn't kill an entire franchise. Hindsight is 20/20 but they should've built Legion as some sort of expansion/iterative concept from Watch Dogs 2 and release it within 2 years, while another team prepare an actual Watch Dogs 3.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure Splinter Cell will incorporate some of Watch_Dogs gameplay ideas in the future.

Lil Bee

Feb 13, 2024
Kinda not sad to see it go. It's felt like a series without a real core direction and indentity to me the whole time, bound together only by a "hacking" conceit that is literally just pressing x to make the environment do a thing, which is less hacking and more just pressing x to make environment do thing. I just don't think the entire concept really had much in the way of legs tbh.

Oct 26, 2017
I know I say this in other threads but fuck it; at least port the original Watch_Dogs to Switch. Make it like AC4 where it was basically right between the PS3 and PS4 versions where it lacked the PS4 enhancements, but ran in 1080p docked and 720p portable at a mostly locked 30fps.

Apparently Ubisoft Chengdu did most of the AC Switch ports as well as The Settlers on Switch. I'd bet they'd do a great job with Switch ports of Watch_Dogs and Far Cry 3 and 4. That should be on their to-do list for 2024 I say.

Oct 27, 2017
Not entirely surprising after the wet fart of Legion, but a massive shame as I thought WD2 was excellent and I just wanted a similar follow-up. I would be more than happy with a new Watch Dogs in a different city following Marcus & his gang every five or six years.

Wasn't Watch Dogs the biggest or one of the biggest new IP launches when it first came out? I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that it sold like 14 million copies, but I can't find a link to support that right now (the only sales number is over 10 million as of December 2014, so 7 months after release). According to Wikipedia WD2 sold more than 10 million copies lifetime as well. Kind of amazing how this franchise has been mismanaged.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I know I say this in other threads but fuck it; at least port the original Watch_Dogs to Switch. Make it like AC4 where it was basically right between the PS3 and PS4 versions where it lacked the PS4 enhancements, but ran in 1080p docked and 720p portable at a mostly locked 30fps.

Apparently Ubisoft Chengdu did most of the AC Switch ports as well as The Settlers on Switch. I'd bet they'd do a great job with Switch ports of Watch_Dogs and Far Cry 3 and 4. That should be on their to-do list for 2024 I say.

The Switch 2 comes out literally next year, they wouldn't have to make any changes.

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
The dark, broody atmosphere of the first, coupled with the best gameplay elements from 1 + 2 would have made SUCH a fantastic sequel. Too bad they never doubled down on their original concept with improvements. I think they tried too hard to streamline the series and make it more accessible but it lost all of its personality and appeal at the same time.

Byronman

Oct 28, 2017
Watch Dogs was really a product of its time, a Ubisoft cookie-cutter open world when it was still relevant, and a good balance between the naive optimism of the activist communities when "Software was eating the World" and the greedy cynism of the techbros corporations. Maybe Watch Dogs 3 went overboard with its futuristic surveillance society, but it's a pity to see the franchise go, as they are not many pop culture commentary of the current state of the tech world. The richest people in the world are techbros, tech corporations are basically running elections now, hand in hand with autoritarian regimes, generative AI is basically threatening culture, so it would make sense to have a popular game tackling those issues today.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
It's utterly baffling how they managed to fuck up this series after how great Watch Dogs 2 was. Goes to show how incompetent Ubisoft is these days.

Watch Dogs 2 should have been treated like Assassin's Creed 2.

I really don't understand the love 2 gets. I've tried playing it like 3-4 times now and just bounce each time. When it comes to WD, I feel like that one Star Trek fan that likes only the odd numbered films.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
It was so hard to make a abomination like Legion after the great WD2 and Ubi managed to do it.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I really don't understand the love 2 gets. I've tried playing it like 3-4 times now and just bounce each time. When it comes to WD, I feel like that one Star Trek fan that likes only the odd numbered films.
For me it's because it feels unique. WD1 and Legion are just more open world shooter/stealth games in a sea of them. Watch Dogs 2 to me is an open world puzzle game where the hacking gimmick of series shines because you can beat a majority of the game without stepping foot on enemy territory. There's nothing that feels like it.

The cast of WD2 make a big difference too. I don't think they're great but they're a million times better than anybody in WD1 and Legion.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
Legion is still one of the best and most fun RT representations on console to this day, when it comes to refelctions. Enjoyed the hell doing pictures here.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
"Ubisoft should take more risks instead of playing it safe and making lots of iterative sequels!"

*Ubisoft proceeds to do this, the risk doesnt pan out, and an entire franchise dies*

"Why didn't you just make Watch Dogs 2 again but better? Idiots!"

Last edited:

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
This series never hit big sales wise or am I wrong? I remember Watch Dogs 1 was supposed to be Ubisoft own GTA and it never got there in sales, popularity or critical reception. Not that surprised.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the first Watch_Dogs so much. :'-(

Edit: Somebody correct me, but...
This series never hit big sales wise or ai I wrong? I remember Watch Dogs 1 was supposed to be Ubisoft own GTA and it never got there in sales, popularity or critical reception. Not that surprised.
The first WD actually hit really big, but the reception was so flat, the second one hurt in sales biug time.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The multiplayer was fun in the first game, the controls were good and driving was fine.

Everything else was pretty genetic tbh, even with wd2.

I only played like an hour tops of the last one, will eventually get back to it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely loved WD2, 1 of my favourites from last gen, 1 of the best "spy" games ever made. but don't think Ubi knew what they wanted WD to be so I wouldn't be too shocked if this was true.

The first was a pretty solid cover shooter, with a whole load of warts, could have went all in on that and had something.
The second was a very good stealth game, that made playing like the 1st game not actually super viable due to how fast you die and a really likeable lead, they could have went all in on that and had something.
The 3rd kinda tried to be something in the middle but was just the worst apsects of both instead of actually building on either of the strenghts.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Watch Dogs - Pretty good 1st entry in the trilogy. Decent setting, protagonist was decent as well.

Watch Dogs 2 - Vast improvement over the 1st entry, even had a better protagonist

WD Legion - I mean, the idea seemed good on paper with no main protagonist per say. London as a setting was solid, but the game overall was missing what made the 1st and 2nd entries good. It did have a sort of modern Assassin's Creed-esq DLC, which i guess is as close as we'll get to a modern AC game.

I mean, i'd like to see a new entry. But it would need to be really good.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 is honestly the best game from Ubisoft in that gen IMO

Fantastic open world and gameplay.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Watch Dogs 2 is still, for my money, one of the most dense and lively open worlds ever designed and the game itself is packing an almost insane level of mechanical depth that few (if any) other open world action games can match.

Legion is a fucking disaster, and thinking a Battle Royale was a smart next step for the franchise is yet another example of Ubisoft being the most idiotic and useless fucking company in the AAA gaming space. Absolute pure evil morons running that ship who don't know their ass from their elbows.

I dream of a day where Ubisoft folds and sells off their IPs to publishers that actually give a shit and know how to capitalize on great concepts instead of running them into the grave by chasing dying trends.

Last edited:

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Twice they've tried to make a mp game work, and twice they failed.
One of my favourite open world games, but it is forever cursed to be in IP hell, it seems.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the second game a lot. Should have stuck with having it be bright and colourful rather than the grey and grim look of the original and Legion (no matter how much "wacky" crap Legion had going on).

But also I don't really know that this series has anything more to offer than what 2 delivered, so probably best to move on.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Only played 1. I was excited for legion until the reality of the botched execution hit.
Watchdogs still had a truckload of potential. City open world with a focus on hacking and potentially wholly non-violent. I can understand it's in ice but can't imagine it's completely dead. Maybe don't consider spinoffs and just do a proper Watchdogs 3.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Only played 1. I was excited for legion until the reality of the botched execution hit.
Watchdogs still had a truckload of potential. City open world with a focus on hacking and potentially wholly non-violent. I can understand it's in ice but can't imagine it's completely dead. Maybe don't consider spinoffs and just do a proper Watchdogs 3.
You should play 2, it's incredible.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
A shame. I really liked all of them until the third fucked up my save progress. They're really imperfect but I liked the gameplay and I loved the near-future city settings. I spent a lot of time exploring the worlds and getting silly flavor text from the ctOS.

Oct 25, 2017
im totally ok with this. In fact I wish more generic open World Series were dead and buried and it brought back other genres or more unique experiences but let's be real this is going to be either replaced with another generic focus tested open world game, or the budget is going towards more assassin's creed or some shit.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Hackerman BR sounds like it could've been funny. Could've been similar to that Assasins Creed Brotherhood multiplayer I remember from back in the day, where you actually had to figure out who the actual players were between the npc's.

Unfortunate to hear, liked the series. Never grabbed Legion myself either, people were just so negative about it that I never bothered with it.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind since they're never going back to the tone of WD1 anyway. I hope they make something similar to WD1 though. Like a new IP, city-based open world. Maybe add AC elements in it like dialog choices and customization. Maybe make a Mafia competitor since that franchise also seems dead and buried.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Legions really killed it. What an incredibly boring game and waste of a really interesting core idea. Series never matched the highs of the original.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
Watch Dogs 2 has one of the best open worlds ever. You could encounter so many random crap just exploring, it was super fun.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Watch Dogs feels like a weak enough IP that they would be better off trying something different to get some new eyes on it. Even something that ends up being similar could use a fresh coat of paint. So I get dropping it.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
I am shocked. Absolutely stunned. How could such a thing happen?

Legion was a bad concept. The London setting was nice, but the gameplay and the idea of diluting the characters in a series known for how bland their protagonists are was really a bad move.

Now focus all those resources in making a great Splinter Cell game and we will end up gaining something rather than losing.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
One of our fears when we were working on Legion was that all the amazing tech that took years to bring its concept to life would just get wasted and lie dead after, especially considering that throughout the development more and more concessions had to be done to keep everything workable on PS4/X1.

Various HQ demands didn't help either. Don't know if anyone remembers this, but when Watch Dogs Legion was first announced you could see all the various RPG systems applied to each Operative. I don't know anyone from the team who liked that lol, since when everyone's a blank fully customizable slate it doesn't matter who you recruit. But Serge/Ubi were building whatever their vision of 'perfect open-worlds' they had and that would bring a lot of homogenous decisions to tons of projects including the RPG systems. The fail of Breakpoint was in some ways a blessing in disguise since it forced Ubi to delay a bunch of projects including Legion and has allowed the team to remove that shit in favor of something more fitting the concept, though even with the extra time given it was still too late and there's so much more that could've been done there.

At the end we were all proud of our work even though, again, I don't know a single person who wouldn't want to improve or change a bunch of stuff, for some of which we would need the only console platforms for the project to be PS5/XSeries.

And let me tell you, it's such a shitty feeling to look at the performance after launch and realize that:
a) Nobody from the team is going to get profit bonuses for quite a long while
and
b) There's no way there's going to be another Watch Dogs game and all this tech that the team worked so hard on and was passionate about would never get the chance to truly shine.