• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Won't exactly cry for it because I figured it was the case. Legion really didn't seem to sell well with how quickly it dropped (even for a Ubi title).
Will say it's a bit of a shame though as it's the only open world Ubisoft series I really mess with. Not big on Far Cry and a lot of their other stuff is just a bit too grindy for me. Really liked just taking out bases in WDs with the tech stuff on top of that.

Hopefully BGE2 can fill the void in some form

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Holy shit I forgot Legion even existed until I saw people mentioning it in this thread.

Eh I'm not really sure what else you could do with this series. Not every franchise needs to continue in perpetuity.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
2 was robbed of the spotlight it deserved and not getting a chance to see what a proper iteration of that game would have been is something we were robbed from

GG

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted another like Watch Dogs 2. Why couldn't they have done the play as anyone experiment with a new IP instead of making Legion…….

Grove

Apr 3, 2024
I'll always appreciate Aiden Pearce for being as unlikable as he was in such a mainstream title. Not sure if that was entirely intentional or if he was meant to be badass gruff super hacker man in earnest but it gave me some Kane&Lynch vibes.

WD2 was tonally very weird and I'm 100% with SuperBunnyHop's take that it should've encouraged stealth and movie Batman-style indirect carnage at best instead of gunning down legions of street cops while cultivating a social media following. Legion could've double-downed on 3D printed weapons given the setting of the game. Also I would've much rather had 4-5 solid character archetypes instead of handfuls of meme characters that no one in their right mind would pick.

Series deserves to continue and there's no doubt in my mind it will, eventually.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
they can still try their hand at making a GTA clone, they're one of the few studios that could even attempt it.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
How could it have failed when it had iconic character Adam Pierce with his iconic Hat?

The fact that the sequel actually had the MC and allies geeking when helping him was kind of cringe

Last edited:

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I own 2 and Legion, though I never finished either. It's great to boot up 2 just to drive around SF. Legion could have that same feeling as it's the closest we've gotten to a modern day London since the Getaway, if only they eliminated the police state stuff. Doesn't feel good to walk around and see drones and enforcers everywhere.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Legion just seemed weird as fuck with the whole no protagonist thing.

I don't even know if that's how the game played, but whatever little trailers I saw made it seem like that. Had no interest in that whatsoever.

All they needed was to improve and iterate on WD2. I got Legion for free with my GPU and played it for 5 mins.

Morgan1994

Dec 10, 2017
Loved the first one, I hated the second one because of the hipster robot mask annoying dude. I want to play as a single hacker that is alone not be in some hacker group, once again I loved the first game this problem repeats with other ubisoft games like the division.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
So unfair. WD was pretty solid if not basic and 2 was peak Ubisoft

No comment on Legion...

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
WD2 was tonally very weird and I'm 100% with SuperBunnyHop's take that it should've encouraged stealth and movie Batman-style indirect carnage at best instead of gunning down legions of street cops while cultivating a social media following.

I can normally check my brain at the door with any game but I just couldn't get over the dissonance of being a San Francisco hacktivist and you could play him as if you were Trevor from GTAV. very weird and off putting (not to mention the vibe overall was "how do you fellow kids" sort of cringey)

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Don't know why they chose to go the direction they took with Legion. It's a bummer that Marcus and company didn't get another game. He really turned that series around for me. There was just so much potential there with that cast of characters. He should have been the new face of the series.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The one franchise from UbiSoft that I haven't given up on, and now WD might be gone because someone had the bright idea to not make WD3 with Marcus and the gang, and instead gave us a bland, repetitive game that was filled with glitches upon release. It's a fucking shame. WD2 is one of my favorite games, and I was hoping UbiSoft would follow up on it after the fuck up that was Watch Dogs: Legion.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
I can normally check my brain at the door with any game but I just couldn't get over the dissonance of being a San Francisco hacktivist and you could play him as if you were Trevor from GTAV. very weird and off putting (not to mention the vibe overall was "how do you fellow kids" sort of cringey)
I will always remember how one of the first missions is stealing a movie car, spray painting it and joyriding it around SF for, well, Internet clout.

After I completed the mission I realised that in order to help these guys make basically a Youtube Video I had killed multiple cops, destroyed thousands of dollars of public property and had injured or killed many civilians by changing traffic lights to make regular cars get into full speed collisions with the cops.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Thought the first game was okay. 2 was way better.

It's a shame they didn't just have the cast of 2 return for Legion

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I liked these games, but given how they'd always pull from the near future of technology (Normalization of crypto in Watch Dogs 2, and silk road type Dark Web stuff in the first game) I'd been dreading what they would do in a landscape of all this AI bullshit.

Much like conspiracy theory stuff used to be fun, before turning horrific in the wrong hands, I feel like speculative technology is in the same boat.

Some fun games, but I'm glad they're not going out on a generative AI note at least. Fuck that whole scene.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Its wild they had multiple watch dogs in development.

I feel bad for Ubisoft, they have SO many developers they need to put out games but I feel like they don't really have a huge fan base anymore, just people who like their games but wait to play them when they are on sale or close to free (gamepass, PS+, etc). I think their brand is badly, badly tainted and I have no idea how they recover.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
A battle royale where your all random characters trying to blend into the world but doing hacking etc could have been a cool angle to take

Native_Vel

Jun 5, 2022
The Legion gameplay mechanic of recruiting people was an incredible concept. It really goes to show you how much execution matters just as much as that killer idea.

The only thing that comes close to that level of immersion (in my opinion) is the nemesis system. The difference being they had the vision and the execution to make it work.

mrmyth

Oct 27, 2017
Currently playing Cyberpunk, find it a great irony that W_D2 has better hacking than a game set nearly 100 years in the future.

I only played W_D1 after finishing W_D2, just to get more background on the universe. It was a slog to go backwards but I finished it. After the backlash from all the 'can't relate' gamers to Marcus, I ended up with a sour taste on the series and delayed playing Legion until I caught it a on a sale. Couldn't finish it, bugs crashed me multiple times on the final mission and I gave up. Such a waste. Still pisses me off - I feel like Ubi caved to the chuds on Marcus and gave up on the idea of a set protaganist altogether instead of sticking with the one lead who had actual charisma.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It gets downright dark considering you can let random people get targeted by the police or various gangs which just clashes so hard with the actual story of the game. If I recall correctly the whole reason Marcus even gets involved is because he was flagged as potential criminal without having even done anything

Chev

Mar 1, 2021
Yeah, the big dissonance that immediately strikes me in WD2 is the techno state unjustly profiles you as being a potential hacker and terrorist and you fight back by immediately becoming exactly what they said you'd become.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
sucks, Watch Dogs 2 was ace and I heard Legion a really troubled development cycle (I think Crossing Eden talked about it on here)

If Legion fulfilled its full potential, who knows how it would be received

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, Watch Dogs 2 was and still is truly great but Legion was a step down.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Don't y'all usually dump on Ubi for not "taking risks" and putting out the same game.

"Ubisoft should take more risks instead of playing it safe and making lots of iterative sequels!"

*Ubisoft proceeds to do this, the risk doesnt pan out, and an entire franchise dies*

"Why didn't you just make Watch Dogs 2 again but better? Idiots!"

View: https://twitter.com/The_GM_is_God/status/1782734868226490487

ket

Jul 27, 2018

im not criticizing ppl for not liking legion, im criticizing ppl who simultaneously say that they want ubi to take risks but also say that they're dumb for not just making wd2 again but with new features and a new setting.

Taking a risk means not knowing if something will work out and it's easy to say in hindsight, "Well, they should've just played it safe!"

Im also pretty lukewarm on legion but still think it's an interesting game on a mechanics level

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
It's really funny that the iconic hat is maybe going to be one of things the series is most remembered for. In a way it actually became iconic, in the most backwards way possible

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022

Yeah, that's kind of a shortsighted gotcha.

Risks are risky and sometimes fail, that's the thing we don't acknowledge when asking for these things.

Besides, I was specifically responding the posts that criticized them for not being iterative when all people usually do is criticize them for making the same game. I don't like Legion either, but it was a hell of a effort instead a poster will just say something shitty like "and nothing of value of was lost". Are we serious?

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Watch Dogs 1 was great and 2 was fantastic. Had two cool protagonists right there with Aiden and Marcus. Hell, Wrench was a cool character too. I'm not sure what they were thinking with Legion. Is it true you can now play through Legion as Aiden or Wrench now? I checked out a long time ago before finishing it.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad. WD2 was really fun and the invasion gameplay was hi-la-rious. Hiding in a foodtruck while hacking another player was such a joy.

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
I always felt like Aiden has this awesome look and feel. I just wanted them to flesh the character out more in a sequel instead of moving on from him.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I keep wanting to play WD2, but it's a damn shame they never added achievements for the PC-version.