• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt it and if it did come I expect something akin to Xenoblade undocked, which is terrible.

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
Let's say that this does happen, and CDPR want to invest in it, or give full reign to another studio. (Panic Button or someone else) I would think it would use the Witcher 2 styled engine, which worked on 360.

Then again, i am not an expert on these things either.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Let's say that this does happen, and CDPR want to invest in it, or give full reign to another studio. (Panic Button or someone else) I would think it would use the Witcher 2 styled engine, which worked on 360.

Then again, i am not an expert on these things either.
You can't just change the engine of the game. That would basically mean remaking the game from scratching technically (this is what happened for DQXI (although it was 'just' a change of version for Unreal Engine 4), but I doubt any western developer would do that - or any other Japanese developer for that matter).

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
You can't just change the engine of the game. That would basically mean remaking the game from scratching technically (this is what happened for DQXI, but I doubt any western developer would do that - or any other Japanese developer for that matter).

I realize that, hence the "If they want to invest in it" part.

It is unlikely, but not surprising either. (At least to me)

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Only way I see an actual port happening is if they do it for a revision model, and it would have to be exclusive to the revision model.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
DQXI isn't an open world game. You're limited in where you can go, and only play small sections of map at a time
Starlink certainly is, though. The point is, people will always find some arbitrary and technically unfounded reason to suggest these ports are impossible. On the previous page we have people suggesting a switch port can only be done if the PS4 version is already at 60fps. The goals will continue to move until something like the witcher 3 or Monster Hunter World does come out on switch, and then it'll be a case of "lol who wants to play an inferior version like that anyway." Just like what happened with DOOM.

EtaMari

Dec 17, 2018
I don't believe in this rumor.
Here is how the Witcher III looks on the lowest settings, no way it would be ported to Switch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Starlink certainly is, though. The point is, people will always find some arbitrary and technically unfounded reason to suggest these ports are impossible. On the previous page we have people suggesting a switch port can only be done if the PS4 version is already at 60fps. The goals will continue to move until something like the witcher 3 or Monster Hunter World does come out on switch, and then it'll be a case of "lol who wants to play an inferior version like that anyway." Just like what happened with DOOM.

Yeah this is why people bring up Doom. Not because it is comparable to TW3, but because once upon a time this game was also considered impossible by most people here. Then it was only 60fps linear games.

Now it's people discounting DQXI or ignoring the existence of Starlink (who can blame them with how the game has sold though).

None of these games prove TW3 (or anything else for that matter) can be ported successfully, but they do prove that these arbitrary bounds for what the Switch can do set by people here are constantly wrong.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
You can't just change the engine of the game. That would basically mean remaking the game from scratching technically (this is what happened for DQXI (although it was 'just' a change of version for Unreal Engine 4), but I doubt any western developer would do that - or any other Japanese developer for that matter).
Bollocks. Don't spread nonsense. What do you mean you doubt any Western/Japanese Dev would switch engine versions of the same engine? It happens all the time. We literally just jumped to 4.20 last week in the studio I work for. It took us 2 days, and nothing broke. It was more or less totally seamless. Also no, even if you decide to change your engine entirely, that doesn't mean starting from scratch. In a previous studio I worked for we moved everything from UE3 to UE4, and we'd moved a lot of assets from unity to unreal in that time, too. It's definitely an upheaval, especially late in development, but it happens.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Bollocks. Don't spread nonsense. What do you mean you doubt any Western/Japanese Dev would switch engine versions of the same engine? It happens all the time. We literally just jumped to 4.20 last week in the studio I work for. It took us 2 days, and nothing broke. It was more or less totally seamless. Also no, even if you decide to change your engine entirely, that doesn't mean starting from scratch. In a previous studio I worked for we moved everything from UE3 to UE4, and we'd moved a lot of assets from unity to unreal in that time, too. It's definitely an upheaval, especially late in development, but it happens.

I once moved an entire project from Unity to UE4 and I was actually stunned at how painless the process was. It took a little time to figure out the best way to replicate the Unity prefabs but once I did it went quite smoothly.

This was just a small hobby project though. I can't imagine doing that with a full game built by a team.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
It's either going to be Panic Button or Iron Galaxy.
Iron galaxy people have in my view a much stronger track record than PB. They also have the experience of porting Skyrim and gave a true half gen open world game.
PB ports are good, even very good for Wolfenstein, but certainly not miraculous as often claimed and they often make questionable porting choices. Diablo 3, albeit existing also on last gen console, was very very close to the current xbox1 version and quite an impressive port in my opinion. If I was cdpr, I'd go with them for porting Witcher 3.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I once moved an entire project from Unity to UE4 and I was actually stunned at how painless the process was. It took a little time to figure out the best way to replicate the Unity prefabs but once I did it went quite smoothly.

This was just a small hobby project though. I can't imagine doing that with a full game built by a team.
Good stuff! Oh man I hate unity, everything looks so much better on the unreal side. I think generally we artists hate unity, seems to be the way it goes.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Also since everyone and their mom mention starlink, I very prophetise that the division to release on switch down the line. The snowdrop engine has proven to be very well suited to the switch and ubisoft is gonna capitalize on it. Book it!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Alright, I was going off of comments made by the Dragon Quest developers (and extrapolated that that would make engine transition very difficult):
Gamespot said:
"It's true that the Nintendo Switch version is under development at this moment in time," Okamoto said via translator. "Specifically with regards to the development, this game was developed on the Unreal Engine, but the version for Unreal Engine needs to be updated, I suppose, in order to support Switch. In that sense, the development is still expected to take a very long time. It's still a long ways out."

Maybe they simply meant that it took a long time because they were simply waiting for Epic to implement the necessary Switch optimisations? That was also going on at that same time, so maybe I drew the wrong conclusion from their words. I trust that if your team can do it rather effortlessly, then the process as a whole shouldn't be as I made it seem.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't this with an extra mod installed for lower minimum graphics?

Yes but for something like Doom they had to create an entirely new low preset because the low setting on PC was still too much for switch (even after cutting the fps in half to 30), and that was for an engine that was a lot easier to run than CDPR's.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I was going off of comments made by the Dragon Quest developers (and extrapolated that that would make engine transition very difficult):

Maybe they simply meant that it took a long time because they were simply waiting for Epic to implement the necessary Switch optimisations? That was also going on at that same time, so maybe I drew the wrong conclusion from their words. I trust that if your team can do it rather effortlessly, then the process as a whole shouldn't be as I made it seem.

Depending on the scope and type of UE4 project a version update can add a long time to development, yes. And it also depends on what version the original game was built on.

However we've already seen the PS4 version take advantage of the new UE4 update in the NA release so I don't think this quote really implies that it's a completely different game rebuilt from the ground up. Meaning, they likely just waited for the UE4 version they needed to arrive before even starting to port the game to the Switch. You can see they updated the PS4 version to take advantage of the newer UE4 version so it's not really rebuilding the game in that sense.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I am going to debunk this rumor. This website also has a listing of Luigi's Mansion 3 for the 3DS. The cover is obviously fake and seems to come from a website with fanmade games (Fantendo).
Link

Seems like it is fake then. I wouldn't be surprised at Gwent or Thronebreaker, but I doubt that The Witcher 3 would look even OK in something like the Switch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but for something like Doom they had to create an entirely new low preset because the low setting on PC was still too much for switch (even after cutting the fps in half to 30), and that was for an engine that was a lot easier to run than CDPR's.

Where does this keep coming from? The Switch version of Doom has many graphical effects that the lowest settings on PC do not have. Is this purely in reference to resolution? That might be true I guess.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Digital foundry themselves. I marked where they say it.

Skittz's point was that they do say that, but that you can't equate the fact that several settings are lower than PC with the notion that the Switch version runs at lower settings globally, since for example anti-aliasing has been turned on for Switch, along with some other things I don't remember off the top of my head, which are in fact disabled when turning PC options down to their lowest settings.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3 with a dynamic resolution of anywhere between 200-720p. I could see it. Hell look at ark, it might be done but it sure as hell isn't going to be pretty.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If it's true, maybe it would be exclusively for the Switch revision that might come out later next year?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
The Witcher 3 with a dynamic resolution of anywhere between 200-720p. I could see it. Hell look at ark, it might be done but it sure as hell isn't going to be pretty.

The Witcher 3 runs miles better than Ark on other consoles. A port of the Witcher 3 would also run miles better on switch than Ark. And that's assuming a perfect homothety between both ports, not accounting that some port studios are more talented, and that a Witcher port would have more resources allocated than the Ark port.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It's a ue4 indie game, doesn't compare to Witcher 3.
KagE1p.gif

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it and if it did come I expect something akin to Xenoblade undocked, which is terrible.
If the game somehow came to Switch and ran as well as Xenoblade undocked it would be a miracle achievement. But I highly doubt it's happening regardless and don't know why people are putting stock in a random listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.