• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Source: Imran Khan

Please delete if this has already been posted.

In the latest episode of the Kinda Funny Gamescast, former senior editor at Game Informer and industry insider Imran Khan revealed how Nintendo had "absolutely approached Disney" about the possible inclusion of Sora in Smash. When asked if Disney was the problem, Khan explained how it was "Disney Japan specifically" who had supposedly prevented any deal from going ahead.

Shame if true.

EDIT: Imran Khan does believe it's Master Chief or Sora as the next big character, so there is still a chance.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
good. don't want sora to take a spot.
giphy.gif

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
If you watch the video, he says he believes Sora has a shot, but of course no site is reporting on that.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Love how widely misreported this was.

These takes are already hilarious btw

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I'd only want Sora if it had Disney content. Bare minimum is characters in final Smash and a couple Disney characters in the stage.

Best would be a stage that travelled between Disney worlds and Mickey/Donald/Goofy appearing in final smash and taunts.

If it doesn't have any of that at all then I Sora is one of the few choices that would genuinely disappoint me. The series is so closely tied to Disney that taking the Disney out of it would make representing the series a waste of effort.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I don't understand why Disney would care that much. They pretty much don't give a shit about KH and it's original characters. They are only protective of their original IPs from their movies. Also, they let Wreck it Ralph in Sonic Racing for crying out loud.

Honestly, I don't see why they'd veto Sora in Smash.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it means this increases Lara Croft's chances then so long Sora.

But to be clear it's not clear when these talks happened. Maybe things have since changed.
I'm sorry but Sora>>>>>>Lara, and I was a conscious human through both characters' time in the spotlight.

Anyways, this is weird to me since they have no problem putting Sora on Nintendo consoles, even in games exclusive to them.

OP
OP
SchroDingerzat

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
If you watch the video, he says he believes Sora has a shot, but of course no site is reporting on that.

Though didn't he say he would be surprised (which is what the article also reported), which kinda means he thinks it's more unlikely then likely.

EDIT: Found the exact bit, adding it to top of thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not true, but if true, I'm glad it didn't happen. Wasting yet another spot in Smash on "generic JRPG character, but with giant key instead of giant sword" would have sucked. Cloud, Roy, Marth, and a Xenoblade character is more than enough of that.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Though didn't he say he would be surprised (which is what the article also reported), which kinda means he thinks it's more unlikely then likely.
I definitely agree it's not going to be easy. At this point I think few companies would straight up now allow their characters in Smash, but Sora is probably one of the few that would be a challenge.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
And I bet Disney demanded that they keep ST Falcon out of DLC until the very end, the bastards!

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shame if true. The character would definitely be a crowd pleaser.

OP
OP
SchroDingerzat

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
I definitely agree it's not going to be easy. At this point I think few companies would straight up now allow their characters in Smash, but Sora is probably one of the few that would be a challenge.

I do hope it happens, but I can see why Disney might be resistant. I did find the bit you were talking about and added it to the top of the thread though.

On another note, I can see Nomura making Sora's smash appearance 100% canon. Probably having him visit the toy story world again and being sucked into another game.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
But....but.... Nintendo already got Sora in Smash bros. Ultimate. Sora Ltd, that is. ;P

latest

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Sora seems like a licensing nightmare, Cloud is less painful to get and we got the bare minimum from Square-Enix.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Why would Disney care? Not like Sora is some great character to them lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If Sora got vetoed and we get a piece of crap like Master Chief instead, that would be super disappointing.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I'm sure if you asked Bob Iger who Sora is he wouldn't even know. All Disney needs is to see a paycheck and they be signing the papers.

The only issue would be if Sakurai wanted Elsa to appear in the background or something.