• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
T-virus (it´s complicated) wolves look like this, from Rev 1:

Plaga-wolves are what you expect, from RE4:
latest

I would just copy Miura´s homework (remember when Guts almost ate Casca, that please). Souls did it too, twice. I went with the more RE one:
latest

The RE wiki is VERY well done with a filled-in deleted material section. Old ideas keep returning. Let´s see what the future will bring:
Poor Man-Spider. How could REmake 2 skip you?

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
So Capcom just sent out a play test invite for March to RE Ambassadors. Saw a bunch of people posting in on twitter including our friend Jawmuncher. I really think this might be for a Revelations 3. Oddly enough I never got into those games but I started giving Revelations another shot last weekend.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
So Capcom just sent out a play test invite for March to RE Ambassadors. Saw a bunch of people posting in on twitter including our friend Jawmuncher. I really think this might be for a Revelations 3. Oddly enough I never got into those games but I started giving Revelations another shot last weekend.

Capcom, please don't listen to Jawmuncher's feedback lol

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK
I really liked RE7 and I liked the RE2 Remake so this combined with the RE3 Remake sounds pretty good to me.

Jul 26, 2019
As much as I like Resident Evil 2 Remake, freshness and excitement I have felt with RE7 was what I wanted from series for long time. I'll be happy if Capcom continues from that direction. And I'm hoping they will add improvements from learning experience made from RE2R. Just like they made with RE7 to RE2R.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I mean, in a single night he lost his hand, had it stapled back on, was infected by a bioweapon that gave him superhuman healing abilities, and single-handedly fought back against an extremely powerful BOW that had mind-controlled nearly everyone else it touched.

Based on the feats of past protagonists in their debut titles, Ethan's actually among the most badass of them. And if he's still got Eveline's regenerative powers, he's a step above a lot of the BSAA operatives already.

Hope, Chris pass/teach his punch technique to Ethan.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Revelations 3 is probably the best shot we have at another game with Jill. It was in Revelations 2 that they teased her return, as well. Would be kinda cool to have a game set around the same time as RE7 that explores the repercussions of what went down in China and whoever this new organisation is that created Eveline.

Oct 27, 2017
Prob because Leon and Jill just got a spotlight. Hopefully Ethan will be more of a character.

Yeah, that's fair enough. We've just had Claire and Leon last year and Jill will have a starring role in a few months, but even so Chris has been in a lot more mainline entries than the others. I would love a game which finally unites all four of them. I don't think that has happened yet. Resi 6 had a lot of problems but the way it teamed up a lot of the heroes in an epic way was really fucking cool.

I'd also like Sherry, Sheva and Josh to be in more games in the future too.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic, that means there's a chance of getting REM4KE now despite the recent news of no more remakes.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
what? They are still an action game, you shoot stuff and blow shit up and they rely on your reactions a lot.

RE7 you shoot stuff too, just really awfully for the modern standards and the boss fights (lul) and enemies are god awful, unlike RE1 and RE2.

The people who think Resident Evil was always an action series are absolutely deluded. If being able to shoot stuff and blow things up is all it takes to be an action game then the action genre is absurdly large and meaningless as a designation.

Also, the idea that you relied on your reactions in classic Resident Evil is absolutely silly. The control scheme appeared to be designed solely to inhibit reactive gameplay. The "action" in the first two Resident Evil games (and to some degree RE3, RE0, CV, and Outbreak) is more about careful positioning, preparation, and inventory management.

Resident Evil 1, 2 and 7 are horror games.

Resident Evil 3, Code Veronica, Outbreak, and Resident Evil 0 are horror-action hybrids.

Resident Evil 4, 5, and 6 are horror themed, action games.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, give it to me now!!
But PLEASE no more follower enemies like Mr X and Nemesis, I'm fucking tired of them. Mr X almost killed RE2 for me :( and the new Nemesis looks so annoying that I'm not sure to buy the game, at least day 1.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
About what Capgod can bring back, as this is part of the multi-source leak. First of all Onimusha, then Dino Crisis (but with actual writing and characterizations) that uses the combo system from 2 and an actually good version of Haunting Ground (a rework of one of the RE 3.5s). That game had something to it. But less sleaze, please.

Shinji Mikami also said in 2017 that he would do a new RE game. He and Capcom are still on talking terms. Who knows about GhostWire but his studio needs work regardless of that. RE x Mikami. Yes, BIG yes. Give him a canon spin-off or something.

PS: Where is my Outbreak HD Collection that plays like File 2 you cowards? The assets still hold up and the community is ready.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
New test happening soon, invites must be out for a select group of RE Ambassadors. Check your e-mail:

s2o2r1vorpd41.jpg

Jun 18, 2018
If this RE8 is the version that has since been rebooted then that's a shame. FP RE is amazing, and there's plenty of scope to further evolve the series in VR by embracing motion controllers.

As for Ethan, it is possible to develop the character beyond his basic form in RE7, but my biggest concern with the rumour is that this version of RE8 sounds like a greatest hits, whereas the series needs more originality to sustain fear and mystery.

Either way, Capcom, take your time! RE7 & RE2 did so much right, and I'd love to see RE8 built from the ground up for new consoles.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever decided that dumbo wasn´t cover material chose the wrong job when doing the Outbreak 2 cover.
52b9552df25ae9ac85c2b137bef09687.jpg

Wolf-men are also nothing after the T-Rex-man who then cronenberged into The Fly in RE6. RE6 had ideas alright... This is canon:
maxresdefault.jpg

So yeah. I think that the oh so precious RE canon can take a Beast of Darkness enemy. Here is from when RE1 was still an FPS:
EPZadC7XUAcNmJJ.jpg

The RPG fights in Sweet Home are all in first-person. So yeah. Capcom still has those files. No wonder that FPS elements constantly return.

PS: REmake remake (Capcom talked about it) could work as an FPS but let´s maybe wait at least half a decade till things start to go stale again. They will. They always do.

Still laughing at Capcom putting a boss battle straight from Dino Crisis into RE6.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Still laughing at Capcom putting a boss battle straight from Dino Crisis into RE6.
More like Pararasyte Eve (there was no 3rd game, nope) but sure:

The RE6 villain named Simons could transform back to human form within seconds after walking the dinosaur cuz who even cares at that point as at least 3 full cities were wiped off the map at that point. Any logic or stakes were gone by then. It´s now on the Switch so you can the madness with you.
RE6 has its strengths, almost none are narrative, but the series producers can never ever do that much blow again while developing a game. RE would not survive it. That 3rd anime film fucked us too. You can now turn back to human form after becoming a zombie through a gas. It may not have been the T-virus but I am still salty.

Kinda crazy that the sleazy as fuck RE VII was the classy entry after a decade of ever-increasing shark-jumping. The is a QTE-driven shark boss in RE6. Lol. Rev 1 even had death satellites. A remote castle is the de-escalation we need. Especially as REmake 3´s 3rd act is destined to be pretty crazy.

The Evil Within 2 has an open-ish world and it´s one of the best survival-horror games of all time.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
It sometimes feels like people didn't play longer than the starting house. If this wasn't a Resident Evil game, then what is?
Or not longer than the demo. That game was RE to a point where it almost felt too much RE. The latter half in particular.

Which in itself is very Resident Evil-esque: these games always start mysterious and tense, and usually end up a bit too bombastic and actiony for my tastes.
I would have loved for RE7 to offer more elements that differ from the classic recipe.

It's still a really good game, and I liked Ethan. Not a fantastically developed character, but he's still pretty badass given how much he had to endure.

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Imagine actually caring what perspective a game is in lol... First person, third person, who cares, just make the overall package good!

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Kinda crazy that the sleazy as fuck RE VII was the classy entry after a decade of ever-increasing shark-jumping. The is a QTE-driven shark boss in RE6. Lol. Rev 1 even had death satellites. A remote castle is the de-escalation we need. Especially as REmake 3´s 3rd act is destined to be pretty crazy.

Real talk: Terragrigia might be the least believable thing in all of Resident Evil canon. A massive floating city built in the middle of the Mediterranean in only eleven years (mind you, it would have started construction sometime in the mid-90s), fully sustained by solar power? Absurd. I'll believe the transforming dino zombie man before I believe that.

(Final Fantasy Leech Man in RE0 gets second place, but at least with that I can wave my hands and just say "Magic Leech Virus Power!")

Oct 25, 2017
I was definitely exaggerating earlier in the thread but in seriousness I really don't want Ethan back as a protagonist.
Hopefully Rebecca is the protagonist of 8.
And give us a damn update on Jill.

Oct 25, 2017
*Say something stupid*
*I was just-pretending guys!*

That's not how things work.

I mean Zeo caught it pretty darn well
I mean, Ethan sucks and I'll be disappointed if 8 is an FPS again but like, some quick advice:

Your troll was so close to working well until you went hilariously over-the-top with the bolded line.

Gotta be more subtle.
I said i'd take Gaiden 2 over it....
Gaiden.

Operation Raccoon City 2 was serious though, Heroes mode with Chris, Rebecca, Barry, Wesker, Sheva, etc added would be amazing.

Last edited:

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
OMG *please be true* I'm so excited !
RE7 VR is a pure masterpiece, please do it again !
FPS is definitively the way to go since the RE7 reboot.
Damn, the wait for a confirmation is going to kill me.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
OG RE1, RE2, REmake: Am i a joke to you?

I mean..they are though?

I just played REmake and it is most definitely an action game, lol. so is RE2. They have incredibly cheesey one liners and you get a fuck ton of ammo to blow up everything in your way. Yes they are horror, but they quickly reveal how action packed they are.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean..they are though?

I just played REmake and it is most definitely an action game, lol. so is RE2. They have incredibly cheesey one liners and you get a fuck ton of ammo to blow up everything in your way. Yes they are horror, but they quickly reveal how action packed they are.
If you play on easy everything is an action game.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no. The original and 2 were Survival Horror.

Just having combat doesn't suddenly make it an action game.

It's not just about the combat, though? It's about how much combat there is, a fuck ton. I never disputed it is a survival horror game, of course it have scares and is tense, but it's a fucking shooting gallery. The hardest moments are usually the first 90 minutes or so, but ammo is so damn plentiful in the games.

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
  • It will not be called Resident Evil 8, but will have a "clever title"
  • Gameplay starts in a village leading up to a castle
Resident Evil 4x2?

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I didn´t mind Leech man Lowblood, as it took him a decade to form and some of his powers are cool. James (but not really) doing a dollar store Sepiroth on the other hand, well...
6092141-queen%20leeches%20%282%29.gif

Zero is a mixed bag but the visuals save it.
The Bebop writer came up with Terragrigia btw. That script feels like it belongs in the Dino Crisis world. He also wrote the actually coherent Rev 2.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Best leechman is from Outbreak, no joke. That shit is true horror. Also reminds me of Mr. X

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
Reading this thread is making me want to play through RE7 but I'm still going to wait for psvr 1 or maybe wait for psvr2 and a ps5 before I play it. Want my first play to be with vr definitely, sounds like an incredible experience.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just about the combat, though? It's about how much combat there is, a fuck ton. I never disputed it is a survival horror game, of course it have scares and is tense, but it's a fucking shooting gallery. The hardest moments are usually the first 90 minutes or so, but ammo is so damn plentiful in the games.

Still wouldn't classify it as an action title. There is a huge gulf between RE4 and RE1 in terms of how it presents it combat.