• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
Am I imagining things or did they talk about making a game set in a Generation Ship a few months ago?

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think the budget is between 10-20 million USD for Obsidian game?
PoE 2 raised 4 million from backers only + Obsidian funds.
They noted they didn't have a specific budget cap in mind, so I'd imagine that's the minimum for something like a 60-100+ person team for ~3 years.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Obsidian filling that Mass Effect sized hole in my heart would make me so happy. Would instantly shoot to my most hyped game.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, this is an Unreal Engine 4 and multiplatoform game, top down RPGs are a PC thing, and they have success on PC not on consoles, at all, they are going for a multiplaform project published by Take-Two, this is 100% a 3rd person game.

Ah cool. I'll have to keep an eye on this then.

Oct 28, 2017
Why does everyone seem to think it is and want a cRPG out of this? If it was a cRPG, they would have crowdfunded it or gone with Paradox. They haven't done a proper 3D game since Fallout New Vegas (yeah yeah I know they did that Skyforge thing and that tanks MMO but those don't count).

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm hopeful, but moving out of their current niche and into AAA game development seems risky.

Err, they've done plenty of non niche games.

South Park: The Stick of Truth
KOTOR 2
Fallout: New Vegas
NWN 2 and the expansions

As far as risk, with them having Take2 on board to publish it I'd say it's less risky then them doing POE and depending on Kickstarter or their own money to self publish it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That was Iron Tower, the developers of Age of Decadence
http://irontowerstudio.com/new-world-news
Finally got in-game screenshots recently btw
x_173719.jpg
x_173707.jpg
Certainly an upgrade over AoD

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Obsidian doing sci-fi would be a dream come true. Ive wanted them to return to it since KoToR 2.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Why does everyone seem to think it is and want a cRPG out of this? If it was a cRPG, they would have crowdfunded it or gone with Paradox. They haven't done a proper 3D game since Fallout New Vegas (yeah yeah I know they did that Skyforge thing and that tanks MMO but those don't count).
Because the two leads worked on Fallout, Fallout 2, Arcanum, and Vampires the Masquerade, and they had this to say:

"It was the opportunity to work with Tim on a new IP that we were creating from scratch again, because we did it on Fallout and Arcanum and those were great experiences and I just missed doing that, says Boyarsky, who most recently worked on Diablo III for Blizzard. "I missed working on single-player, in-depth RPGs with a lot of choice, consequence, and reactivity. I like making other types of games, but there is something special about the kind of games we started with Fallout that really appeals to us and speaks to us creatively."

The duo plans to reveal more about the project at a later date, but Cain says "If people have liked our previous RPGs they're going to like this one in terms of how we make reactive worlds and especially our style of humor."

Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait.
Also, I'm guaranteeing that the game is not based on some self-published book that no one has heard of. That's just a coincidence.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
An original ci-fi IP from Obsidian would be really, really cool. I'm looking forward to the official reveal if this is real.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt that book has anything to do with it, and Outer Worlds isn't exactly a unique phrase. I am ready for Alpha Protocol in space though Obsidian. Just reskin everyone with space helmets.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last Matt Chat interview with Leonard they hinted this might be a hardcore rpg (whatever that means for Leonard) and Matt managed to get out of Leonard and Tim (yea Tim shows up at the end) to say it is not going to be a standard fare RPG but it is going to have that nice Troika twist/enhancement.
Hardcore rpg and that Troika twist is all I need to know. Play it, love it, laugh at all the bugs. Replay it 15 years later with bugs removed by fans.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Chris L'Etoile is working on this, or so I would assume. His Linkedin states he's currently at Obsidian Ent.

In case you don't know him, he wrote the entire codex, Legion, EDI and more on Mass Effect 1 and 2.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda owns the IP.
And after the NV bonus tied to Metacritic i think Obsidian will no longer work with Bethesda.
This isn't true. Both sides are more than happy with each other over NV, especially on Beths side because they didn't have to pay the bonus.

Reality is that Bethesda doesn't want to contract work on AAA anymore. They already have an army of big studios to pump content out with.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am SO in on an Obsidian sci-fi. I often daydream about them making a game based on the Eclipse Phase tabletop RPG because that setting is so rich and amazing, but I would go in day 1 on any sci-fi game from them.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Couldn't have thought of a more generic premise. Pass.

Edit: The book is not related then? Or maybe it is but tangentially? I'm over "space Jesus" stories and silver blue sci fi, but if they can subvert genre tropes I might be interested.

I love Obsidian.

Last edited:

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm down for pretty much anything Obsidian puts out. Their take on ME would more than pique my interest.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know this for a definitive fact or just your theory.
The book has 5 damned reviews and has nothing to prove it has anything to do with anything other than some dude wrote it for dosh on the side.

You posted it, so burden is on you to provide proof here not me. Please explain the reasoning behind why 2K would invest 20M into a book some dude wrote on the side and sitting with 5 reviews on amazon? I mean really come on now man this is obvious as fuck with even cursory look into the info provided.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'd be very surprised if this had anything to do with the book. They're supposed to be working on their own original IP. Boyarsky even said that he's currently working on his 'dream game'. I doubt his dream game would be something that their team didn't come up with from scratch.

OP
OP
Plumpbiscuit

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You posted it, so burden is on you to provide proof here not me. Please explain the reasoning behind why 2K would invest 20M into a book some dude wrote on the side and sitting with 5 reviews on amazon? I mean really come on now man this is obvious as fuck with even cursory look into the info provided.
Same name for starters. 'The Outer Worlds' is also filed under 'Booklets in the field of computer and video games; Comic books; Magazines in the field of computer and video games; Pamphlets…'. Also it isn't uncommon for games to be based off books, especially RPGs.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same name for starters. 'The Outer Worlds' is also filed under 'Booklets in the field of computer and video games; Comic books; Magazines in the field of computer and video games; Pamphlets…'. Also it isn't uncommon for games to be based off books, especially RPGs.
IpDAgCi.gif

This is barebones supposition not even a tabloid would run. Come on man, unless the guys over at obsidian went to HS with the guy there's no reason to think that book has anything to do with the game other than sharing a rather generic name.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if this is even a thing, I would bet good money that it has nothing to do with the book. The supposed title itself is generic enough to have been thought of by more than one person.

If it was a game called "The Endless Nexus," and there was a book with that title, I would assume a connection. This title? Generic as it gets.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if this is even a thing, I would bet good money that it has nothing to do with the book. The supposed title itself is generic enough to have been thought of by more than one person.

If it was a game called "The Endless Nexus," and there was a book with that title, I would assume a connection. This title? Generic as it gets.
Not to mention it came out a few years ago and based on reviews less than a hundred people even read it. Really 20M worth of licensing territory there, that.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well you aren't an idiot, because an idiot would double down here :) You are someone who apparently likes discussions.

We all win!
Yep. It's really on OP for not removing it, honestly.

I think people posting all the "wow! Obsidian Mass Effect!" are probably going to leave pretty disappointed.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. It's really on OP for not removing it, honestly.

I think people posting all the "wow! Obsidian Mass Effect!" are probably going to leave pretty disappointed.

To be fair, I think a lot of folks just really WANT an Obsidian take on ME. I mean, it might be unrealistic, but it's understandable.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There is zero chance that book is related. There are Obsidian employees who have self published books. They commission nice cover art:
51n%2ByRdSbPL.jpg

Probably helps that they work with a bunch of talented artists.

But further, Obsidian has no need to license a self published book no one has heard of. It gains them zero and they have plenty of talented writers internally who can craft a world for their games. If it's not bringing the brand recognition of DnD or William Gibson or Firefly or something else notable there's no point.