• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Youtube livestream:

For those who aren't aware, Rune Factory 5 will be launching in May 20, which is coming up soon.

I don't know if it supports English at release though...

Amaretto

Oct 27, 2017
Watched a bit of the livestream.

I do like the being able to plant multiple seeds at once. The farm itself though looks a bit drab with all the brown. It also seems to be on the small side, but maybe you'll be able to expand the fields like in Rune Factory 4.

I hope there's a lot to explore - the size of the world in Rune Factory 4 was one of the things I liked the most about it.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Watched a bit of the livestream.

I do like the being able to plant multiple seeds at once. The farm itself though looks a bit drab with all the brown. It also seems to be on the small side, but maybe you'll be able to expand the fields like in Rune Factory 4.

I hope there's a lot to explore - the size of the world in Rune Factory 4 was one of the things I liked the most about it.
Didn't RF4 also give you extra fields in the various dungeons? I might be thinking of that Popolocrois SoS game on 3DS, though.

Also yes please I would like to ride the lioncow.

AAI16ZAAB2bZ.jpg

Amaretto

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't RF4 also give you extra fields in the various dungeons? I might be thinking of that Popolocrois SoS game on 3DS, though.

Also yes please I would like to ride the lioncow.

AAI16ZAAB2bZ.jpg

Rune Factory 4 had seasonal fields in the "overworld", but I don't think there were any in the dungeons themselves.

The animals are cute, was slightly amused / annoyed at the streamers needing to take a few attempts at brushing though - I have that issue myself, and it can be a pain when there's a long brush animation.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone see any load times? Hope they really improved them over SoS:PooT release times...

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Anyone see any load times? Hope they really improved them over SoS:PooT release times...
Going from a building to outside took like a second. The portal from the town to the farm was like 4-5 seconds. From the farm to a barn was 4 seconds and to back outside was like 6 seconds. Dunno why that one was longer. They didn't show the transition from dungeon to town, though.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to watch the footage I guess... if you had told me that about PooT i'd have been like 'seems reasonable' but actually playing it was excruuuuciating, but I don't recall off the top of my head how long the load times were.

Thanks for letting me know tho

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Oh crap this is out in Japan?!?!

I hope it's an early fall release here like September.

With the historical Director of the Story of Seasons/HM games being on RF5, I have high hopes that this one will not disappoint like Pioneers of olive Town has (which was headed by someone else at the company)

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I got recommended a Vtuber stream and yes, the game looks very good, loadings are pretty fast as well.
Still very much excited for this!

Sitrus

Oct 31, 2017
From what little I have played, the performance is really bad. The movement also feels a bit sluggish like you are moving through water. Everything feels a bit stiff. Still, I think I can enjoy it, but it doesn't feel as good to play compared to RF4 In terms of gameplay for now, but it may change later.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
From what little I have played, the performance is really bad. The movement also feels a bit sluggish like you are moving through water. Everything feels a bit stiff. Still, I think I can enjoy it, but it doesn't feel as good to play compared to RF4 In terms of gameplay for now, but it may change later.

damn, I just quoted another post saying performance seemed good, loading times too

haha

well, let's wait for deeper impressions!

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
So does this allow for gay relationships?
No and the game apparently has queerbaiting and questionable decisions involving queer-coded like the Hashimoto Story of Seasons games did.
No, it doesn't. It's also unknown yet whether you can swap with the Main Character of the opposite gender like you could in Rune Factory 4.
I saw a Japanese wiki say it doesn't have that, but we'll see.

Yeah, the game lags and in some spots it's really noticeable apparently.

Other complaints I have seen is that:
-The models and sprites are super mismatched
-The game screen turns dark and freezes when the portraits are on screen, so you don't really get to seem them be expressive or anything. Like the models will be frozen in place and instead you will just see portraits bumping into each other
-Clothing and item textures/models aren't all that good

Some of the characters also seem questionable like Cecil and Fuuka(in the Japanese version at least), but people are going to have their own opinions on that sort of thing.

It's a Rune Factory game though, so there are obviously positives as well.

Amaretto

Oct 27, 2017
The Rune Factory Reddit is reporting that the option to swap skins is in the game, but only after you've completed the main story.

Sitrus

Oct 31, 2017
Some thoughts after completing the first two story arcs: It's Rune Factory again and it feels really similar to RF4 in terms of mechanics etc.
This post is mostly a summary of the performance of the game so no spoilers here.

Some new QoL improvements include auto gather for items and crops And I think it makes up for how hard it is to target stuff at all.
As for the performance, it's an unsteady 20-25 fps most of the times and only hits 30fps inside small rooms where nothing happens. The input for movement has a delay of about 0.1-0.25 s I think and the buffer for inputs during any animation is way too long, so you end up repeating a lot of moves all the time. Imagine chopping wood and during the chopping animation, if you press B again during the beginning of the move, it will execute that move again And you can't stop or change direction. This also means magic is really hard to hit with.

Movement feels a bit like a monster hunter game in how slow and stiff it is. The town makes the fps drop to 5-10fps during the first frames of loading into a new area. When you have more than 4 characters on the screen at once, you can feel how the frame rate tanks so having a party of 4 is never ideal. Festivals are bad as well and it feels so choppy when every villager is gathered at one place.

Last edited:

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i have completely fallen off new game releases lately but I want this lol. gimme. i don't feel like watching a stream or anything, it's Rune Factory, i know i'm gonna like it

do we know if they added gay romance options or nah?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
i have completely fallen off new game releases lately but I want this lol. gimme. i don't feel like watching a stream or anything, it's Rune Factory, i know i'm gonna like it

do we know if they added gay romance options or nah?
No. After you beat the game you can swap your model though. Any game Hashimoto makes whether it's SoS or RF won't have gay marriage in it. Instead you will get queer-baiting, questionable interpretations of gay characters, and some other things.
This is why it's a good idea to wait for the localization release.

Assuming they can and will fix the issues. I think they can fix some stuff, but the lag seems to be pretty bad and every part of the game, so I'm not sure how much they can address it.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, but it was also a 3DS game and wasn't pushing the 3DS very hard at that. Framerate and loading issues are what I've been expecting for a while now.

Bummer. Ever since stardew, I've been looking for my next farming sim on Switch. May have to consider passing on this if they don't clean it up.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Rune Factory 4 ran fine. I have no idea what happened with this game other than Marvelous seemingly not giving them a budget and what they did have going to cinematics.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. After you beat the game you can swap your model though. Any game Hashimoto makes whether it's SoS or RF won't have gay marriage in it. Instead you will get queer-baiting, questionable interpretations of gay characters, and some other things.
bummer :\ thanks for letting me know