• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone for the responses. I really enjoyed RF4 on the Switch, but depending on how bad the performance is, I might just wait for the PS4 release.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone for the responses. I really enjoyed RF4 on the Switch, but depending on how bad the performance is, I might just wait for the PS4 release.

I would be shocked if there's not a PC release eventually, and with RF4 getting ported to consoles, I'd expect that too.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
The performance in this game is a thing to behold, wow. It's been years since I've played something with this kind of performance. Reminds me of a PS3 game.

Other than that, I'm having fun with it, surprisingly enough.

We really need a super polished, 3D, farming game. Seems so rare nowadays.

Break_Away

Banned
May 8, 2021
California
Alright Nintendo you win. I need to get a switch, so many JRPG games come out for the system. I keep hoping PlayStation pumps out more and it's just not happening. It's never going to reach the same level.

CloverNotes

Oct 25, 2017
The performance kinda hurts, but this game is more runefactory. It is pretty great. Not having a grid makes placing furniture annoying.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Whew, I'm glad to see that performance issue doesn't bother me that much, also early impression feel like I'll really like this game.
There's much to learn and I'm also playing Kirby, but I really want to dive deep into Rune Factory again.
The performance kinda hurts, but this game is more runefactory. It is pretty great. Not having a grid makes placing furniture annoying.
With the L button you can somewhat line up the furniture, not being able to place stuff near wall is going to hurt me much more, haha.

Last edited:

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Holding down R, I think, while placing furniture has helped me get it in a better spot. You can then get it more parallel to the wall.

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I bought it because I'm a sucker for this series.

Is there any major missable stuff?
If you buy all the currently available DLC before you start, there's a bunch of Tomato seeds in the treasure chests that having the DLC spawns. Tomatoes are well known to be an extremely profitable crop if you can nab them early.

There's an interesting Day 3 glitch that you can also abuse to start with a lot of money.

Nothing seems missable yet but I only just got through the first 10 days. One thing that is... delay-able? Is accidentally eating some request items before you fulfill the request, so do not speed through text boxes with the B button, because you can easily delay getting half of your basic farming tools on accident (Sickle, Hammer, and Fishing Pole).

There seems to be a static chest with a very nice short sword (for a beginner) early in the lava ruins area, just go on the North path near the Blacksmith's and then right at the fork in the road. It seems like you can just run there as soon as you can leave town, and it makes the first dungeon much easier. It'll still be there later, of course, but you won't get as much out of it then.

Also, read the tutorials - they're important!

Pastel Melon

Jan 2, 2020
Germany
I've a few questions, if someone is able to help, I would be very grateful:

1. How do I use the hot spring? Murakumo is never on the counter and I can only talk to the stuff upstairs? Do I use it, if I stand in it?
2. Is there a way to place my furniture w/o having to meticulously try to place it as nearly on the wall as possible...?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I've a few questions, if someone is able to help, I would be very grateful:

1. How do I use the hot spring? Murakumo is never on the counter and I can only talk to the stuff upstairs? Do I use it, if I stand in it?
2. Is there a way to place my furniture w/o having to meticulously try to place it as nearly on the wall as possible...?
Murakumo should be in the front desk most of the day, it's not open at all times and not in the morning or super late at night. A lot of characters head to the hot springs around 6, so if you want to make sure he's there then that is a good time.

Yes the furniture placement just sucks lol, someone above said holding R helps.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying it more than I thought, I only played Frontier and didn't like the 2D ones, 5 is pretty fun so far with my ~5 hours of playtime, I love all the feature this game has, it's even more RPG than Frontier!
I tried the 1 star wanted monsters but I'm still really weak, so I'm focusing on increasing my crafting skills and doing some leveling when my RP is low, I did the cooking contest but I got absolutely crushed with first place at 340 points lmao (I had 180)

Pastel Melon

Jan 2, 2020
Germany
Murakumo should be in the front desk most of the day, it's not open at all times and not in the morning or super late at night. A lot of characters head to the hot springs around 6, so if you want to make sure he's there then that is a good time.

Yes the furniture placement just sucks lol, someone above said holding R helps.

Thanks for the help!

Another question: Lucas came into town but the Fishing Contest started so I participated in it and now he is... gone? Where is he suppossed to be? (I did not learn his name yet, I only saw the animation)... I am afraid that it's a bug.

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
Lucas moving into the town proper is a part of the main story progression so you probably still need to see a few more events. He moves in after an event with Heinz.

Most story events are once per day so you have to rest until the next day to progress.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Was expecting something terrible performance wise, but outside of when you leave the a building, performance seems fine. With issues, like the unlocked FPS while moving in the town.

Anyways, have Rune Factory 4 save on my Switch, but I can't find Frey outfit in the wardrobe. Is there any requirement to unlock it besides that? Got the Earthmate Edition and Sonja's outfit. Just started the game, btw.

Oct 28, 2017
Was expecting something terrible performance wise, but outside of when you leave the a building, performance seems fine. With issues, like the unlocked FPS while moving in the town.

Anyways, have Rune Factory 4 save on my Switch, but I can't find Frey outfit in the wardrobe. Is there any requirement to unlock it besides that? Got the Earthmate Edition and Sonja's outfit. Just started the game, btw.
You have to do quests from the Rune Factory 4 special guest characters to get those outfits, it should not be long, probably around Spring 5th through the 7th.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not far in but man the writing is really nice this time around. God I wish the technical performance and the art matched up though.

/Edit I mean the writing is always nice but it's noticeably good here for whatever reason

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally getting a chance to start this...And I just absolutely love the color palette. It's so calming and pleasing, ha.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
Heard so many good things about the Rune Factory series that I decided to get the game as well. Anything a complete noob should know before starting out?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
My wife got me the earth mate edition as a surprise early birthday present. Finished just past the first dungeon, and yep this is 100% a rune factory game. Nothing especially new or game changing, but still very comforting. It's really scratching an itch that regular SoS games just can't anymore.

Pastel Melon

Jan 2, 2020
Germany
man how tf am I supposed to get orange juice this early on for murakamo's request

You can just keep requests. But: personally I found the juice just in a chest.

Anything a complete noob should know before starting out?

It's a very forgiving game but one thing, I always find helpful: try to talk to everyone on a daily basis! It already helps a lot with bonding.

Lucas moving into the town proper is a part of the main story progression so you probably still need to see a few more events. He moves in after an event with Heinz.
Thanks! Yeah, it somehow did not trigger after 3 days but on the 5th it finally happend!

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna wait to grab this after not getting as into 4 when it released on 3DS as I would have liked.
Then I just read you can be gay???
Earthmate edition will be arriving Monday.

Samurai_Heart

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite surprised that the Limited Edition actuallys says that on the cart image, and you get the LE costumes without downloading, I'm guesing Nintendo's unique ID code for carts worked to that advantage.

Gridman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I gave this a shot. I was afraid the performance issues would detract from my experience and they did...at first. I've since adapted to them and while they're still noticeable, I'm ignoring them for the most part. Its a good game to relax with after work. I hope I can make a fist weapon soon. I want to punch stuff!

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering when you'd show up. :)

Did you already choose a bachelor or are you going to get to know them better before deciding?
Martin and Reinhard immediately jump out at me but RF games tend to have marriage candidates who are more than meets the eye so I've gotta get in there and interrogate them all to see who is deserving of me.

Oct 28, 2017
Martin and Reinhard immediately jump out at me but RF games tend to have marriage candidates who are more than meets the eye so I've gotta get in there and interrogate them all to see who is deserving of me.
Nice! I have my eye on Murakumo for "purple" reasons. Honestly my brain short-circuited when I looked at this game and saw how much purple is in it. (In a good way.)

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the deluxe version on the eShop. Are the other outfits that are for sale separate from that?

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Started up yesterday and the performance isn't ideal but it isn't as bad as I was lead to believe. I suffered through Deadly Premonition 2, I can play anything performance wise.

I'm enjoying it so far and it has some really nice quality of life improvements. The L button being more customizable and sorted really helps even if it can still be a bit of a mess to keep organized sometimes. I also like you unlock stuff much faster then in 4.

My only issues are that farming can be a little touchy with where you want the cursor to go and placing furniture is a pain in the butt. I'm sure I'll get used to it with time but it is annoying for now.

Now, the real hard question is who to marry. I'm told you don't get all your options till late in the story so I'll see then.

BDrummer1606

Oct 27, 2017
My only issues are that farming can be a little touchy with where you want the cursor to go and placing furniture is a pain in the butt. I'm sure I'll get used to it with time but it is annoying for now.

Make sure you're holding R (or L can't really remember) when trying to place furniture. Really weird they didn't have a grid system.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I'm very glad I didn't let the performance problems scare me away. The game has been very addicting.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
My opinion on the performance stuff is that I definitely noticed it at first, but it didn't take me very long to adjust. My brain is too busy focusing on the things I want to do in game. It's not even like an "ignoring but still on my mind" kind of thing.

If you're especially sensitive, it's a no-go, but I think if you have experience with the Harvest Moon and RF series going back a few generations, or even just various Switch games in general, it's not anything you wouldn't be used to.

Savii

Apr 9, 2018
I was worried that the game would be too similar to RF4 and that the performance would make it difficult to play but I'm happy to have been proven wrong on both so far. While it doesn't reinvent itself, there are plenty of improvements/new features. It also helps that it has been a while since the last RF. The technical problems are noticeable, especially the very first cutscene lags like crazy/everytime you exit a building, but for the most part it runs fine. However I'm not one to usually notice performance issues so for people that do it might be too much for them.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I got a good laugh when I saw there were five different swimsuit DLC packs.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Are there speacial seasonal farms in this game? I didn't notice any farmland in the first dungeon I entered and I'm not sure if the earth dragon is seasonal.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only thing I don't like structurally about this game is that when you do an event, it locks out others for the next like 3 days. If it was one day, fine, but sometimes you make progress on another and character and you are currently locked into another event. IDK if other Rune Factory games were like this but it's just a pain point.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
afaik, nope. the dragons seem to be the replacement.
Aww, I liked the seasonal dungeons, even if it did break the economy a bit.

I just caught one of those rare spring fish, taimen. Should I save it(it would have to be in my bag until I get the materials for a fridge) or should I sell it for the loads of cash?

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda sad yet inevitable that this will (likely) be the final game in the Rune Factory series

ZakBlade

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Does anyone know how to unlock the pro cooking license? I was able to get the normal cooking license from Eliza, but the pro cooking license isn't showing up in Eliza's list, and it's greatly limiting my ability to cook because I can't get any of the cooking furniture other than the starting table. Googling just resulted in a bunch of people saying what answers to use in the exam, but I can't even get to the exam.

Lirose

May 30, 2018
Does anyone know how to unlock the pro cooking license? I was able to get the normal cooking license from Eliza, but the pro cooking license isn't showing up in Eliza's list, and it's greatly limiting my ability to cook because I can't get any of the cooking furniture other than the starting table. Googling just resulted in a bunch of people saying what answers to use in the exam, but I can't even get to the exam.

Have you visited the cafe? I was also waiting for the pro license to unlock and had an idea to visit the cafe since I hadn't been in there once yet despite already being in mid Spring and the licenses appeared the next day. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not.