Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
dralla I've now put 9 miles onto the Novablast 4 with a 3-mile and a 6-mile run. These shoes are the truth and I cannot wait to bury 500 miles into them. Knocked out those six miles at 8:08 pace this morning and my zones were:

Zone 5 & 4: 0%
Zone 3: 11%
Zone 2: 87%
Zone 1: 1%

I kept accidentally picking up the pace but my HR still stayed in Zone 2. Had to remind myself constantly "slow down, it's an easy day" but the shoes just wanted to go. Great recommendation.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
dralla I've now put 9 miles onto the Novablast 4 with a 3-mile and a 6-mile run. These shoes are the truth and I cannot wait to bury 500 miles into them. Knocked out those six miles at 8:08 pace this morning and my zones were:

Zone 5 & 4: 0%
Zone 3: 11%
Zone 2: 87%
Zone 1: 1%

I kept accidentally picking up the pace but my HR still stayed in Zone 2. Had to remind myself constantly "slow down, it's an easy day" but the shoes just wanted to go. Great recommendation.
Tk3X0N.gif

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Well lads - i did the damn thing

Mill Town Half Marathon
Official time: 1:53:05.2
Previous HM PB: 2:04:10
Overall Pace: 8:37
88th overall
5th in my age group (35-39)
Shoes: NB SC ELITE 4

Totally sandbagged miles 1-7 to make sure my knee wasn't gonna flare up. When i realized I was in good shape I took off from the 2 hour pacer and never looked back.

Feeling really strong and fit right now and well on the path to hitting sub 4 marathon on 6/9

Congrats and good luck on the coming training block

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a couple of weeks since the BCN Marathon, and I still seem to be in one piece (although I've seen an inversion of GCT balance at faster paces since then, so I'll have to keep watch on my left leg).

I had the idea of going for a 3h15 pace, but like the idiot that I am, I felt pretty good at the start (and apparently, forgot about the almost 3 years of my feet as the race started) and pushed to 3h08 pace. To tell the truth, I was really comfortable for the first 30km, but then the combination of heat, lack of proper training and oxygen debt came back to collect their dues, and had to slow down quite a bit. Managed a 3h20 finish time (faster than the last one by 7' at least) but I'm pleased all the same - I just love running long distances.

The new course was alright I guess. The starting line is near Plaça Catalunya and the finish line is very close to the one of the Half Marathon. It's has a longer triple S section just at the start, so it's mostly concentrated on the right side of Barcelona. This means that while the total amount of ascent is just slightly less, there are three noticeable changes 1) We now go downhill on Paral·lel 2) The uphill sections are more spaced out 3) Meridiana (one of the tougher stretches on the previous course) is very much reduced. Of course there are downsides: the coming-and-going of Diagonal Mar continues to be a staple, and we run near the coast twice (which sucks if you are not elite due to sun and wind). Still, it's a faster enough that I think once the construction work near Plaça Espanya and the Venetian Towers (the old start and finish) is done, they won't go back to the old course.

Right now I'm following Paladino's level 4 10K plan to get ready for a 10K on the 26th of May, since there won't be any long races until after summer. After that the first half marathon is in September I think, so if everything goes well I'll start a full HM plan at the beginning of summer.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
As some of you might recall, about six weeks back I was venting my frustrations about getting COVID and having a setback and having to take time off to fully recover. Yesterday, I laid down a brutal 50 minute tempo run and even with that, today I put down 4 miles under 32:00 and my HR never left Zone 2. I am so fucking happy to be back.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
As some of you might recall, about six weeks back I was venting my frustrations about getting COVID and having a setback and having to take time off to fully recover. Yesterday, I laid down a brutal 50 minute tempo run and even with that, today I put down 4 miles under 32:00 and my HR never left Zone 2. I am so fucking happy to be back.

Happy for you - feeling like you can't give your all, to me is the worst feeling

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Hello. Very amateur runner here.
I just did Couch to 5K for about the 7th or 8th time?
It's only the second time I actually finished it though, I usually fail to get past the 20 min run and give up.
I did up to week 7 on the roads, but then I joined a gym and started doing treadmill runs because it's easier to keep a steady pace - otherwise I tend to burn out before the end.
I got up to the last run and decided to try and do it outdoors as i didn't think I'd have as big a sense of achievement if I did it on the treadmill, and actually managed to finish the 30 min run.
Problem is the name 'Couch to 5K' is very misleading because it's actually 'Couch to running for 30 mins' which in my case was only 3.66km, which was quite disheartening.

My goal is to do a full 5km outdoors but I'm not sure how best to hit that goal now I have no app to guide me.
I aimed to 4.5km on the treadmill yesterday and managed it in 33 minutes but it really took it out of me.
Time passes soooooo much slower on the treadmill, but the weather here has been abysmal so I don't want to run outside.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Lads, I am officially a marathon'er . Felt good pretty much the entire way and honestly could've ran further. Didn't hit any walls and the pain was never too severe. I wasn't trying to run fast or anything so that's probably why. I feel fine even now, just hungry. More than anything it's just nice to see all the running I've been doing paying off. Nothing is more motivating and exciting than seeing/feeling progress in your fitness.
TJjVYUb.png

PsScXsj.png

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Lads, I am officially a marathon'er . Felt good pretty much the entire way and honestly could've ran further. Didn't hit any walls and the pain was never too severe. I wasn't trying to run fast or anything so that's probably why. I feel fine even now, just hungry. More than anything it's just nice to see all the running I've been doing paying off. Nothing is more motivating and exciting than seeing/feeling progress in your fitness.
TJjVYUb.png

PsScXsj.png

Incredible work Drallllllaaaaaa

My wife and I hit our local parkrun this morning for a 5K
I finished at 24:18 nice little PB for me and the misses came in at around 28. Highly recommend everyone goes out to a local if they are available to them.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Hello. Very amateur runner here.
I just did Couch to 5K for about the 7th or 8th time?
It's only the second time I actually finished it though, I usually fail to get past the 20 min run and give up.
I did up to week 7 on the roads, but then I joined a gym and started doing treadmill runs because it's easier to keep a steady pace - otherwise I tend to burn out before the end.
I got up to the last run and decided to try and do it outdoors as i didn't think I'd have as big a sense of achievement if I did it on the treadmill, and actually managed to finish the 30 min run.
Problem is the name 'Couch to 5K' is very misleading because it's actually 'Couch to running for 30 mins' which in my case was only 3.66km, which was quite disheartening.

My goal is to do a full 5km outdoors but I'm not sure how best to hit that goal now I have no app to guide me.
I aimed to 4.5km on the treadmill yesterday and managed it in 33 minutes but it really took it out of me.
Time passes soooooo much slower on the treadmill, but the weather here has been abysmal so I don't want to run outside.
Time on feet is more important than distance tbh. The body doesn't know how far you've ran, only how long. The speed will come in time but getting your body comfortable running for extended periods of time is key.

Incredible work Drallllllaaaaaa

My wife and I hit our local parkrun this morning for a 5K
I finished at 24:18 nice little PB for me and the misses came in at around 28. Highly recommend everyone goes out to a local if they are available to them.
I wish parkrun was more a thing in the US. Seems like it's popular in the UK and Europe but it's barely a thing here in the US.

--

ps. I am officially hurting

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
TJjVYUb.png

PsScXsj.png

Congratullations dralla! There's no marathon like your first!

Time on feet is more important than distance tbh. The body doesn't know how far you've ran, only how long. The speed will come in time but getting your body comfortable running for extended periods of time is key.

I wish parkrun was more a thing in the US. Seems like it's popular in the UK and Europe but it's barely a thing here in the US.

--

ps. I am officially hurting

Not going down stairs like a normal person for a couple of days I'm afraid

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Congratullations dralla! There's no marathon like your first!

Not going down stairs like a normal person for a couple of days I'm afraid
I live on the second floor so going down the stairs yesterday was quite the ordeal. There was no way I was gonna cook and needed food so I had to hobble my way down the stairs and to get some food at the store. Soreness-wise I actually feel pretty good today. My high weekly mileage probably got me used to this. Unfortunately I think I'm officially injured 😥. I had a dull, lingering sensation in the back, right of my knee over the past 2 weeks or so. It felt more like tightness/soreness than pain. Since it was so mild and didn't effect my running gait I was still running and was hoping it would go away, but it kept hanging around. I think yesterdays marathon pushed it over the edge since now it feels more like pain and it's a little more severe. It's not horrible or anything but I definitely need to take it easy for a while. After Googling a bit I'm fairly certain it's Biceps Femoris Tendinopathy - "Biceps femoris tendinopathy is inflammation within the biceps femoris tendon which lies to the outside of the back of the knee". That means my running streak officially comes to an end at 124 days. That's a lot of days so I guess an injury was bound to happen sooner or later, even though I was being smart about it with short recovery runs 1-2 times a week. I probably could've gone out there later today for an easy 30 min jog if not for my injury tbh. Recovery time doesn't seem too long if this is what the actual issue is, so I guess that's good news.

That brings my final March stats to:

Activities: 34
Distance: 279.73 mi / 450.18 km (my highest monthly mileage ever)
Time: 42:38:08
Calories: 31,112

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
The best side effect of getting into running shape is being able to run 5 on 5 full court ball for a couple hours and feel fresh.

lol running is truly the greatest thing to happen to me

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I normally listen to podcasts when I'm on the treadmill but if I know it's probably going to be a struggle day I'll switch to music. I find that around 6 songs is enough to get me just either side of 5k so if I'm under there's only a little more to do and and if it's over then it's already a win and if I don't feel bad I'll push on for another song. If it's a 10k then I'll aim for 12-13 songs. If you're aiming to hit a 35 minute 5k then I'd probably suggest playing 10 songs without looking at the treadmill and see where you've got to, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

The trick for me in these circumstances is not to look at the treadmill at all. I just set it off at the pace I want and don't look down until those songs are all done. It stops me from looking down and getting disheartened if I've not gone as far as I thought.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
I normally listen to podcasts when I'm on the treadmill but if I know it's probably going to be a struggle day I'll switch to music. I find that around 6 songs is enough to get me just either side of 5k so if I'm under there's only a little more to do and and if it's over then it's already a win and if I don't feel bad I'll push on for another song. If it's a 10k then I'll aim for 12-13 songs. If you're aiming to hit a 35 minute 5k then I'd probably suggest playing 10 songs without looking at the treadmill and see where you've got to, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

The trick for me in these circumstances is not to look at the treadmill at all. I just set it off at the pace I want and don't look down until those songs are all done. It stops me from looking down and getting disheartened if I've not gone as far as I thought.

It feels impossible to me to not look at the distance on the treadmill. I think the most I've ever ran on a treadmill was 5 miles. I find them more tolerable if I'm trying to do speed work and keep a specific higher pace.

That being said I'm getting real tired of running in 25F weather. This week it's been raining almost every morning (but at like 40 degrees). Cold Rainy days are one of the things which will cause me to skip planned runs.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Ran a half on a threadmill once. It's not undoable but quite miserable.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
lol I'm the psycho who does 90% of their runs on a tread. I Just lock in an audiobook and turn my brain off

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
Back during COVID confinement I was lucky enough to have a treadmill to keep training on, and I just taped an old tablet on it to watch The Simpsons. On the one hand, it is dreadful. On the other, being able to have a thermos with cold water is nice.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Will try to participate in this thread going forward. At the start of 2023 I put a focus on weight drop (the four years prior I refurbished a house and became a parent which caused me to seriously lose form) and in August 2023 I picked up running and bought a good deal of equipment (Garmin Forerunner 745 watch, pulse belt, Adidas Adizero Strung X shoes). The 'Garmin Coach' functionality in their apps is a godsend for beginners, very inspiring.

Ran a 5K in October at 25m 31s (still many kg/lbs from my weight goal at that point). Due to harsh winters in my region and an upcoming parental leave I also invested in a new treadmill that month, the Sole F85 2023 model (good belt/motor but not very pleased to be honest as it's very squeaky despite heaps of maintenance attempts, also really bad media center/speaker quality). I still try to do as many outdoor runs as I can but it's not always practically possible.

Last week I ran a 10K at 53min 31s. I still have 8kg/~18lbs to drop before I reach my 'normal' weight at this point (as I'm now 40 years of age, the aim is to do a full health check once normal weight is achieved). The shoes I bought last year are past their end-of-life mileage so I have now ordered the Adidas Adios Pro 3. I believe I have seen the last serious snow fall of the winter now (Norway) and its turning green all over, really looking forward to more outdoor running going forward. My weekly average mileage is 22~25 (35~40km) but I'm going to gradually increase my minimum to surpass 31 (50km) as my next goal.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Ran my first official 10K race this morning! Final time was 45:43. Rounded splits:

7:20
7:17
7:15
7:18
7:27
7:32
1:34 (7:02 pace) for the finish

dralla just saw your marathon post. Congratulations! And hot splits, too. Heart rate under 144 the whole way as well. You crushed it.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
12 miles in the bank today feeling super fresh. Marathon coming up 6/9 definitely feeling confident I'll crack sub 4

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Having major taper anxiety right now. Feeling fresh actually has a negative impact on my mental state. Thinking over and over that I didn't train hard enough, that I won't be able to run at all on Sunday. Feels awful. Last little workout tomorrow, it's all easy and recovery from there so I hope I get more confident from here.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
Having major taper anxiety right now. Feeling fresh actually has a negative impact on my mental state. Thinking over and over that I didn't train hard enough, that I won't be able to run at all on Sunday. Feels awful. Last little workout tomorrow, it's all easy and recovery from there so I hope I get more confident from here.

Taper psychosis is very real. Keep calm and trust the plan, any deviation now will be to your detriment

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
Has anyone ever paced a race before? I volunteered to be a pacer for the first time for a marathon that's focused on helping people qualify for Boston. Only doing 12mi @ 8:40 pace, but still slightly anxious about screwing up someone's goal.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Looking to incorporate lifting into my routine 2x per week. Does anybody have any good resources for light weight, high rep type of workouts? Something that can be done with a smaller dumbbell and a bench? I am 100% avoiding anything with larger loading like barbell deadlifts, barbell squats, leg press, etc. but would be open to something like split leg squats or goblet squats. I'm just looking for a nice, comprehensive plan.

Oxx

Oct 28, 2017
Nice work.

I'm doing my first half marathon race in 7 days time, and this weekend hasn't been great preparation.

Oxx

Oct 28, 2017
Ran my first 1/2 marathon race yesterday.

I completely ignored my Garmin pace plan and got by on pure vibes.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
Ran my first marathon today. Weather was close to perfect at the 6:30 guntime. Second half was definitely rough and I hit the wall I've read so much about.