Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's so fucking depressing to wake up to this. I've said it a hundred times, but the world will be a better place the day Putin dies.

FM from Ukraine has a pretty simple ask tonight:

THey are not asking for boots on the ground, we should be able to do all this and MORE.

Everything here is more than reasonable, let's fucking go.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any word of the fighting at the Belarussian border? Last update was that Ukrainian soldiers engaged Russian and Belarussian forces, but nothing about whether they were able to repel the enemy..
Watching the tanks just cruise down the street through the border crossing into Ukraine was surreal, like there weren't any attempts to barricade or anything. I suppose their defense were just further inland though

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
We can't risk WW3 no. The best option is to try and bleed Russia out and shut it out from the rest of international community.

Some would argue we should have stationed thousands of troops in Ukraine before all this, to try and prevent a Russian attack. But that is a risky proposition, since more troops might have made Russia attack sooner and if Putin doesn't give a fuck about killing western troops as well, are we willing to escalete into full on war?
If Putin is willing to kill western troops in an offensive capacity in a war of his own aggression then it's just a matter of time before he would go to war with us anyways.

Blackrobe

Nov 1, 2019
Cruise missile strike in far western Ukraine, at a airport SE of Lviv, farthest large city from the Russian border.

Oct 26, 2017
God damn, I can't imagine how awful it is for folk in Ukraine atm. It seems like everything is going to shit across the world. Hope something good happens soon and Ukraine ends up alright in the end

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
It's absolutely disgusting that that soulless monster has been allowed to do this and is hell bent on wiping out Ukraine as we know it. A bullet would be too good for Putin, and would no doubt only galvanise people behind his image, but this monster deserves everything that's coming to him.

My thoughts are with those in Ukraine, stay safe and take care of one another.

So realistically, beyond sanctions from the wider world, what else can be done? Putting seems very aware of NATO being on standby but is no doubt prepared for that eventuality which will allow him to look beyond Ukraine's borders into other European countries. So military assistance seems like it would just end in a full blown world war (China have been very vocal about their support of Russia and pushed back against any force against them from Western powers in the past, so a deadly combo should anything wider play out).

Is sanctions the best that can be done? If, as Sergei Lavrov said, the Russians have gotten used to sanctions will this genuinely impact them then? From what I understand their economy is in dire straits and Putin doesn't have great approval ratings (not that that's ever stopped him winning votes) so maybe I just don't understand the full picture but surely sanctions will do little in the grand scheme of things.

Obviously supplying military aid, defenses and humanitarian aid is a must but there does need to be something strong done to stop Putin and his megalomania in its place.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the tanks just cruise down the street through the border crossing into Ukraine was surreal, like there weren't any attempts to barricade or anything. I suppose their defense were just further inland though

There was little/no activity by Ukrainan military as far as I know - which puts into stark context the idea that Russia was doing this 'in repsonse to calls from the rebels to protect them from Ukrainan aggression' - there wasn't any so its so unbeliveably bullshit it'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
just broke the news to a colleague who is Russian and follows Russian news, he wasn't aware of the strike until I showed the NBC sources

Oct 28, 2017
If Putin is willing to kill western troops in an offensive capacity in a war of his own aggression then it's just a matter of time before he would go to war with us anyways.

He is not going to start a war he can't win, but he might take a gamble that no one is willing to risk nuclear war by attacking him.

But it doesn't matter at this point. The thing left to do is to stand together and hit Russia with all the non-military "weapons" we got.

maabus1999

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ukraine has almost 8 years of fighting the Russians now and their proxies, so they probably are setting up what is most advantageous to them right now (not the border...). Also, since the US/NATO poured intel on them, they knew the force dispositions probably as well as the Russians knew of their own.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
at this stage do the actions line up with solely annexing the east - with the wider attacks being focused in military infrastructure? Is there a hope Russia stops there? why they felt the need to attack across the country if they only aimed to annex - didn't think they'd be able to pull it off without Ukranian response maybe but this is such a big escalation if they don't aim for full occupation..

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's harrowing to see this play out.

It was obvious that it would come, but I don't think I expected a three way strike with support from Belarus right out of the gate. So many lives are going to be lost, so many tragedies are being writ. And for what?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Genuine thought, not trivialising or anything: I imagine Eurovision will be called off this year.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Are the people in Russia just content with what's happening right now? Can't they do anything there, protest or something :(

China is real fucking quiet right now.
Well they're probably observing the reaction by the west / rest of the world, putting in notes for their own eventual confrontation with Taiwan.

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021
Never would have imagined to see full scale assault from Russia into Ukraine. Hopefully EU is already working on a plan to take in Ukrainian refugees. We can't have same shit show we did back in 2015.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Are the people in Russia just content with what's happening right now? Can't they do anything there, protest or something :(

Well they're probably observing the reaction by the west / rest of the world, putting in notes for their own eventual confrontation with Taiwan.
How effective were people in the US at stopping the US invasion of Iraq? Regular citizens don't have that kind of influence over government. Years of sustained protest didn't end the Vietnam War either.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
at this stage do the actions line up with solely annexing the east - with the wider attacks being focused in military infrastructure? Is there a hope Russia stops there? why they felt the need to attack across the country if they only aimed to annex - didn't think they'd be able to pull it off without Ukranian response maybe but this is such a big escalation if they don't aim for full occupation..

nope it is country wide

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

This is "forcing Ukraine to peace", Geargia-style,. but much grander scale..
The stated goal is "demilitarization and denazification"- so, regime change, and probably excessive repressions against anyone pro-Ukrainian.

This "pacification" would require occupation. Which is something that's gonna cost them dearly.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Can the US rally the rest of the world against this? China might be hard (although would be great to have them against this), but even getting all the nuclear powers against this would be good (India, Pakistan, China).

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Your fears are way past realized, unless apartment buildings are critical Ukrainian military infrastructure.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Can the US rally the rest of the world against this? China might be hard (although would be great to have them against this), but even getting all the nuclear powers against this would be good (India, Pakistan, China).

China supports this and will work with Russia to undermine western interests wherever possible. They want to run the same playbook on Taiwan.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
can we threadmark or start another thread to link relief or other humanitarian efforts for donations?

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I knew it was just a matter of time, but waking up to the news made me dizzy and sick. Sanction the fuck out of Russia, make it hurt as bad as possible.

Apr 25, 2020

They will try from a sanctions point of view, but India have already made their position clear (sitting on the fence), and not a peep out of Pakistan and China.

maabus1999

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They want Russia to get away with it because they want to do the same thing with Taiwan and Honk Kong (years before Honk Kong was supposed to rejoin Beijing's government).
Actually, if this goes as terrible as many are predicting, it wouldn't surprise me if Taiwan received a lot more deterrence support, so it does not happen. China is probably pissed because they are probably still several years away from even thinking about this decision.