• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lard

Dec 3, 2018
The arrogant way she says 'mr. Snyder' instead of dr., thinking she made a point and then still getting completely destroyed is nice.

Timothy Snyder is such a treasure. I saw him a few months ago giving a lecture in Berlin. There were so many people that they put speakers outside and let you look thru the windows. Afterwards Timothy got the Beatlemania treatment by all the Ukrainians :p. He was a perfect gentleman and gave everyone a bit of a chat and signed books, etc.

Lecture was great as well. He mentioned that there's remnants of an ancient city in Ukraine that gets way too little attention as it could be one of, if not THE oldest settlements in the world. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebelivka_(archaeological_site)

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
A few questions for people in this thread who may know that I haven't seen answered any articles I've seen:

1. Is this aid to Ukraine expected to last for the remainder of the year? Will it?
2. When will further US military aid be considered once this passes?
3. Does the current aid package contain enough for Ukraine to strengthen its defenses and make gains on the battlefield (however marginal)?

I'm quite ignorant on military tech so all the talk of ATACMs, Patriot missile systems, etc. goes way over my head as a non-American.

(also fucking YAY IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING)

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Majority of Republican voters voting against, but the bill will pass. Really shows you the current state of the Republican army, in 30 years they've gone from willing to go to war to stop the Soviet Union from spreading into any country to openly supporting Russian imperialism.
VU0VUkm.png

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Fantastic.

I hope some Patriot batteries and missiles, as well as millions of 155mm shells, will be on its way to Ukraine in no time.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Thank fuck for that. It's been getting harder and harder for Ukrainian forces to fight back and it's been clear that's in no small part due to lack of supplies.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Gods, finally. I'm so embarrassed for this country and saddened for the Ukrainians whose lives could have been saved if this had been done when it was needed.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
What's included in H.R. 8035 exactly? I went through the bullet points but couldn't find a figure.

It mentioned the President shall have increased powers to transfer defense articles and services to foreign countries but I wonder how Biden can effectively use that new authority.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Thank goodness.

Moscow Marjorie is such a worthless human being. Always good to see her get wrecked in front of the whole nation.

SLAVA UKRAINI!

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Finally. The Trumpist insanity in the US politics was really depressing to watch considering how many Ukrainian lives were being lost every day.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Also passed a bill which allows the President to seize Russian assets and send the funds from it to Ukraine
(b) Seizure or transfer of assets.—
(1) SEIZURE OF RUSSIAN AGGRESSOR STATE SOVEREIGN ASSETS.—On and after the date that is 30 days after the President submits to the appropriate congressional committees the certification described in subsection (c), the President may seize, confiscate, transfer, or vest any Russian aggressor state sovereign assets, in whole or in part, and including any interest or interests in such assets, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States for the purpose of transferring those funds to the Ukraine Support Fund established under subsection (d).

(2) VESTING.—For funds confiscated under paragraph (1), all right, title, and interest shall vest in the United States Government, provided that no use of those funds other than the use of those funds consistent with subsection (f).

(3) LIQUIDATION AND DEPOSIT.—The President shall—
(A) deposit any funds seized, transferred, or confiscated under paragraph (1) into the Ukraine Support Fund established under subsection (d);

(B) liquidate or sell any other property seized, transferred, or confiscated under paragraph (1) and deposit the funds resulting from such liquidation or sale into the Ukraine Support Fund; and

(C) make all such funds available for the purposes described in subsection (f).

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Also passed a bill which allows the President to seize Russian assets and send the funds from it to Ukraine

And of course social media is just focused on the so-called ban on TikTok.

Repo act is clearly the most important thing imho.

Mentalist, it is night time somewhere in the world. Time to drink and celebrate!!!

Day drinking is a thing in North America lol :)

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking finally.

In saying that, the E.U CANNOT rely on the U.S solely for its safety moving forward. I know that means military production, I know people will go "bu-bu-but that's bad" but as long as Russia is run by authoritarians, absolute peace is NEVER gonna be an option and if a Trump-figure ever gets elected again, the U.S will not help Europe. It just won't.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Now we wait when Schumer calls in the Senate, which is supposed to be this weekend. Biden may be able to sign these bills prior to Monday, and it wouldn't surprise me as the risk is off the DoD is already moving.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Oh they are definitely spooked (maybe not Putin), but they only took one stronghold in the past several months U.S. aid has been slow or non-existent. Their missile campaign and FABs have definitely put the hurt on the Ukrainians, but ground wise not much has happened minus avdiivka

I'm hoping Ukraine will be able to mount a summer offensive round 2 this year.