StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
No, but much like Trump with America he represents a disturbingly large portion of Russia. I still remember a disturbing article I read several years ago about how some absurd percentage of Russians think Stalin was just great.

But yes, it's easy to lose the reality that a large percentage of the Russian people don't agree with this bullshit. And it's tremendously brave of them to go out and do that on the day Putin himself warned anti-war protesters "could be" arrested.
It's mostly "boomers" who still remember Soviet Days plus some people who remember and fear the chaotic 90s. However, majority don't think Stalin is great, don't want return to Tsars and Soviet Union and so on.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Makes sense. I just wonder what happens once the last 3 reactors go offline, would the mix go more toward gas?

Ok, makes sense. So most gas like folks previously stated is going toward home heating.

I also wonder if German industry is concerned due to things like Palladium likely spiking up (and aluminum, and other metals).
the German economy is generally concerned about EVERYTHING and the German political elite is generally concerned about the economy AT ALL TIMES.
You have never seen someone love something the way a German politician loves the German economy.

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021
Boris Johnson is finally getting his Churchill moment :roll_eyes:
But I don't even care if he is a knob, long as he talking loud and gives sanctions that EU has to respond at some what same level or lose some credibility.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
So do nothing then?

Yes I am sure they were blindsided, the only ones that were are not juiced in and Putin doesn't care about those, the ones he does would have known.

I don't want more death, but a few sanctions and words isn't going to do anything, and as for these "cyber attacks that will stop Russian trains etc" give me a break.
Depends on your definition of do nothing. If do nothing is just sanctions and sending allies to NATO countries like you're saying, then yes we should do nothing. It is a no win situation and shitty for Ukranian people, but no one is going to start a WW3, nuclear or not, over a non-NATO ally.

Kendaskig

May 15, 2020
It's okay. The world is complex and interconnected enough now that lots of people know Russia and its people aren't a monolith - and certainly not all Putin.

What's your read on the ground level Russian perspective? No worries if that's nor appropriate or too anecdotal etc

You mean how the ordinary people here feel? To be honest I don't know how to answer correctly. I have a feeling that almost everybody who's not brainwashed by the state media is horrified, but I might be in a bubble somewhat. In general almost all the people that I know feel tremendous shame. Words that my colleague said to me and they are stuck in my head right now: "Today is the first time in my life when I regret having kids."

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Reposting:

Significance of this is that it's 60 miles north of Kyiv, one of the shortest land routes from the Belarusian-Ukraine border (where Russia is moving troops in) to Kyiv. Low population density which makes it ideal. It's a staging ground for moving on the capital using the Hostomel military airfield.

KzwEuRH.png

It is a quick route from Belarus to Kyiv, essentially. It also has an airstrip which can be used as a staging ground. It has tactical significance.

only 2 hours away from the capitol.

cXMVHPt.png

Appreciated, thanks.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I think unfortunately, conceptual lines have been obliterated given the events today.
Quite possibly, but if so then it'll take a while for a new consensus to form regarding acceptable interactions between state actors. Whatever that consensus might be, I think it's very unlikely that there'll be general acceptance that economic sanctions aren't okay or that cyberattacks are okay.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
I have the impression that Putin really thought it will work this quickly. That's the only explanation for going for this insanity now.

Yeah, it's just... I don't want to get my hopes up, but I really expected the progress in capturing Ukraine would be greater on the first day. It's just very confusing what is happening given how, on paper, Russia is such a significantly more powerful army

Oct 30, 2017
(...)

Ok, makes sense. So most gas like folks previously stated is going toward home heating.

(...)
I've looked up the statistics for the heating market, it's a bit old (2017 on the right), but I don't think much changed.

Yellow: Gas
Green: Renewable Energy
Grey: Hard Coal
Pink: Waste
Brown: Lignite
Blue: Oil

Renewables did catch up somewhat in the first two decades.

5_abb_energieeinsatz-fernwaermeerzeugung-kraftwerke_2020-01-02.png

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It's mostly "boomers" who still remember Soviet Days plus some people who remember and fear the chaotic 90s. However, majority don't think Stalin is great, don't want return to Tsars and Soviet Union and so on.

I think to some extent it's also about pining for the days when Russia was still a genuine world power, and not the crumbling kleptocracy it is now.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck, ABC. The anchor was just trying to bait the reporter in Ukraine to say the Putin only did this attack now because he views Biden as weak. As if Putin was afraid of Trump! Fuck fucking fuck the media. Thankfully the reporter was having none of it, but the anchor was pushing the narrative hard.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
You guys realize it's cold in Europe right now without gas? Now, the problem isn't buying gas right now, is not changing stuff in these last years so they wouldn't have to buy gas from Russia.

Hopefully this means that things will change going forward, but expecting things to turn on a dime is unrealistic, problematic as it might be.

Moving away from nuclear energy was a huge mistake that Putin is banking on now.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I think to some extent it's also about pining for the days when Russia was still a genuine world power, and not the crumbling kleptocracy it is now.
Oh sure, but again, that's not common with folks in their 40s and on down. Most people just want to live, work, have kids, be like a normal Western country. Hell, most Russians wouldn't have minded joining EU/NATO, but they are powerless and mostly fatalistic. It's like the Hong Kong example earlier in the thread.

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017

Natasha Bertrand
@NatashaBertrand
Biden: "Today I'm authorizing additional strong sanctions and new limitations on what can be exported to Russia." Says "we have purposefully chosen these sanctions to maximize the long-term impact on Russia."
1:46 PM · Feb 24, 2022
[/MEDIA]
Natasha Bertrand
@NatashaBertrand
NEW: Biden says, "today we're also blocking four more major banks. That means every asset they have in America will be frozen. This includes VTB, the second largest bank in Russia, which has $250 billion in assets."
1:48 PM · Feb 24, 2022