Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Hilarious. Russia seems to have forgotten that Ukraine got rid of all nuclear weapons on it's territory in exchange for a memorandum that respected the security, integrity and borders of Ukraine...and Russia was a signatory to that agreement.

View: https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1787495811422548185?t=EghlyXBDOEjEefWyGG6DrQ&s=19

Never, ever, ever, ever, give away your nuclear weapons.
Actually get at least one done before anyone knows you're doing it (good luck with that though).
What a disaster from Nato.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017

It really sounds like Ukraine could booby trap the hell out of their trench, pull back, and yield it to Russians. Russians seem obsessed with gains they can measure in meters and are happy to rush bodies in to take anything they can.

Edit: Also I really need to remember to clear out replies I started on but forgot about. /shrug
Your victory parade for 2024:

I expect the BTRs and S-400s are probably in small numbers too.

View: https://twitter.com/GuyPlopsky/status/1787358009661981153

I'll admit I'm surprised that Putin hasn't opted to either only use WW2 era equipment at these parades or to keep a few modern tanks that have been stripped down for parts and are basically just tank shells with engines.

Both seems like easy ways to excuse the lack of modern equipment in the parade without fessing up that they're starved for it in Ukraine.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Actually get at least one done before anyone knows you're doing it (good luck with that though).
What a disaster from Nato.
It's another in a long line of toothless threats. They said the same thing about western weapons being used on Russian territory (which is currently happening).

Agreed though. Ukraine giving up their nuclear capability with an agreement of Russia never attacking them is an insanely bad move in retrospect. No one would argue that.

Spesi

Apr 26, 2022
Finland
ROME, May 6 (Reuters) -

Italy's Defence Minister said on Monday economic sanctions against Russia had failed and called on the West to try harder to negotiate a diplomatic solution with President Vladimir Putin to end the war in Ukraine.

Comment like it's 2014. I just fear that these type of comments will come more common if / when right wing populists will gain power in EU. Next step would be questioning sanctions in general. Just discraceful.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
According to Wikipedia, the codes to launch them were never in the hands of Ukraine, so in effect, they were never Ukraine's nuclear weapons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction

Even if Ukraine was in control of these weapons, keeping them in working condition is not cheap: as an example, France spent billions of euros yearly to keep it's nuclear deterrence program up to date and in working condition. The number I read / heard are between 5 to 8 billions of euros each year, which is more than what Ukraine spent on its army before 2022.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

Comment like it's 2014. I just fear that these type of comments will come more common if / when right wing populists will gain power in EU. Next step would be questioning sanctions in general. Just discraceful.

I mean they have worked, we have Russia begging North Korea for arms and they're strapping wood logs to their tanks while also having to field tanks from the 40's and 50's. I'd say the sanctions are working just fine.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
According to Wikipedia, the codes to launch them were never in the hands of Ukraine, so in effect, they were never Ukraine's nuclear weapons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction

Even if Ukraine was in control of these weapons, keeping them in working condition is not cheap: as an example, France spent billions of euros yearly to keep it's nuclear deterrence program up to date and in working condition. The number I read / heard are between 5 to 8 billions of euros each year, which is more than what Ukraine spent on its army before 2022.
ICBM codes were in Moscow.

But Ukraine also had tactical nuclear missiles.

Originally, the US was insisting only on the ICBMs from UA, BEL and KAZ being given back to Russia. But all 3 presidents have decided that joining the Non-Proliferation treaty was the better option.

Nowadays Ukrainians generally lament the loss of tactical nukes, because those alone are believed to have been a sufficient deterrent against Moscow's predations.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Nowadays Ukrainians generally lament the loss of tactical nukes, because those alone are believed to have been a sufficient deterrent against Moscow's predations.
Even tactical nukes have a limited shelf life, and it would have been immensely costly for Ukraine to develop the infrastructure and expertise to maintain them. Not to mention they'd risk heavy sanctions. Only reasonable way for them to "keep" them would be with the help of a partner like in the Soviet days, and, well, the only one who might go for that would probably be Russia...

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Even tactical nukes have a limited shelf life, and it would have been immensely costly for Ukraine to develop the infrastructure and expertise to maintain them. Not to mention they'd risk heavy sanctions. Only reasonable way for them to "keep" them would be with the help of a partner like in the Soviet days, and, well, the only one who might go for that would probably be Russia...
Aye, and Russia insists on keeping a massive arsenal which continues to be a massive drain on them (if they are all being resourced correctly even).

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
ICC Wanted Criminal expects several Western envoys as guests to his party,
or Several Western envoys will visit Putins swearing-in as President of Russia

A European diplomat told Reuters that 20 EU member states would boycott the event, but that seven others were expected to send a representative.
The EU's foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell, was against the bloc participating in the event, spokesperson Peter Stano said in Brussels.
Germany's Foreign Ministry said it would not be represented, and two European diplomats said they did not expect the U.S. to send an envoy, although Washington has not made a public announcement.
But, underscoring the divisions over how to deal with Russia, a Paris diplomatic source said: "France will be represented by its ambassador to Russia."
The Baltic states, which no longer have envoys in Moscow, have categorically ruled out attending the inauguration.
"We believe that the isolation of Russia, and especially of its criminal leader, must be continued," Lithuania's Foreign Minister Gabrielius Landsbergis said.
"Participation in Putin's inauguration is not acceptable for Lithuania. Our priority remains support for Ukraine and its people fighting against Russian aggression."

REUTERS

I would have expected representatives from Austria and Hungary, but not from France.
I hope the UK and US make the right decision and don't send an representative to "Putins party".

Last edited:

Tony72495

Banned
Apr 26, 2019

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they could also be a "surprise, motherfucker, we're shooting down your planes from a place you didn't think we could shoot from", such as the Sea of Azov or the Black Sea? Assuming that Ukraine has better battlefield awareness through help from EU/US that seems like it could be on the table.

Yeah, I wondered if that might be a possibility. Either way, Ukraine's naval drone programme seems to have been extremely successful and innovative, and I'll be interested to see how they use these naval SAM units.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

And there would be a non-zero chance that at least one of the several Russian-aligned governments Ukraine had until 2013 would have given them away to Russia in one deal or another regardless.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
www.bbc.co.uk

Ukraine war: Seven killed in attack on Russia's Belgorod region

The governor of the border region says 35 people were also injured when a drone strike hit minibuses.

Seven people have been killed and at least 35 injured in an air attack on Russia's Belgorod region, on the border with Ukraine.

Regional governor Vyacheslav Gladkov blamed Ukrainian forces for the strike near the village of Beryozovka, which he said was carried out with drones and hit minibuses transporting workers to a meat production facility, as well as a private car.

Mr Gladkov said several other locations in Belgorod region had also come under attack in the last 24 hours, with residential buildings damaged.

Hours later, Mr Gladkov reported another fatal attack, this time in the village of Nikolskoye. At least one person was killed when an outdoor cooking area was struck, he said.

Seems weird?

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Seems like an excuse by Russia as a reason why they can't have any of their equipment on display

But if it helps to live in their heads I'll allow it

I mean, if Ukraine really have had the go ahead to use British missiles in Russia, they'd be stupid not to be planning this

Russia needs to live with the same fear of strikes Ukraine has for the past 2 years and said permission has been the only thing preventing that before

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
www.bbc.co.uk

Russian plot to kill Zelensky foiled, Kyiv says

Two Ukrainian security officials have been arrested over a Russian plot to assassinate President Zelensky, Kyiv says.

The Ukrainian security service (SBU) says it has foiled a Russian plot to assassinate President Volodymyr Zelensky and other high-ranking Ukrainian officials.

Two Ukrainian government protection unit colonels have been arrested.

The SBU said they were part of a network of agents belonging to the Russian state security service (FSB).

They had reportedly been searching for willing "executors" among Mr Zelensky's bodyguards to kidnap and kill him.

Other targets included military intelligence head Kyrylo Budanov and SBU chief Vasyl Malyuk, the agency added.

The group had reportedly planned to kill Ukraine's military intelligence chief Mr Budanov before Orthodox Easter, which this year fell on 5 May.

According to the SBU, the group was planning to use a mole to get information about his location, which they would then attack with rockets and drones.

One of the officers that was later arrested had already bought drones and anti-personnel mines, the SBU said.

I don't think this is new news, just BBC catching up on stuff that was reported elsewhere a while ago. But I'm not totally sure.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Seems an increase inshells are making it to the front at least, though from an anecdotal account of an Ukranian artilleryman:

View: https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1787812228046991521

Edit: Also due to Western artillery systems being better, Ukraine doesn't need overmatch with Russia right now, but does need to be within a 3 to 1 ratio to be effective, since that would provide enough counter battery opportunity and able to hit spotted assaults quickly. Since Ukraine shouldn't be conducting mass assaults, they don't need to pepper a zone with artillery in advance either.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Maaaan. I just wanna say, I really appreciate ya'll here. This is the best source I got for super informative and civil discussion about the war. It does sadden me to see the war here and slaughter of the Ukrainians by a madman is becoming more and more of an afterthought (at least on my side of the US). There is more at stake from this war than most people want to even think about.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
apnews.com

American soldier was arrested in Russia and accused of stealing from a girlfriend, US officials say

An American soldier has been arrested in Russia's port city of Vladivostok and accused of stealing from a Russian girlfriend.

View: https://twitter.com/OlgaNYC1211/status/1787932017700598132

View: https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1787860108480749738

laugh-cant-hold-it-in.gif