Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
It would begin as some sort of series of sabotages and maybe a "revolutionary separatist faction" that suddenly wants to be one with Russia, at least in the case of Narva, similar to what happened in Ukraine since 2014 (?)

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
In no world can Russia combat NATO air power, which would have supremacy within days of any NATO counter, so Russia would not be able to hold any "test" areas. If Putin wanted to test NATO, it isn't to win or hold any location, it would be just to see what they do.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
It would begin as some sort of series of sabotages and maybe a "revolutionary separatist faction" that suddenly wants to be one with Russia, at least in the case of Narva, similar to what happened in Ukraine since 2014 (?)
In Bulgaria, reporters found out about a russian funded paramilitary organisation in one of the port cities. They've basically "bought" a small village there.
Fully funded by russia, hiding with the help of the conservative parties.
I suspect there are similar things happening in other eastern europe countries.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

The main issue is in most places if 50 or so masked people show up at a city hall to proclaim a "people's Republic", the police and military show up very quickly and it soon becomes apparent that this isn't some sort of popular uprising.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
The Kharkiv offensive was assumed with the build up of 50,000 troops. We'll see how hard Russia pushes this week, because they have about a month or so before artillery shells should be coming in significant amounts into Ukraine from the US and Czech purchase.

So far the recon groups got smashed, with significant casualties relatively. I still don't know what they plan to do though as 50,000 troops is not enough to take Kharkiv. Maybe they try to semi-isolate and push east.
Destroy more refineries. Really seems like the US backed off or never really cared about them attacking refineries.
Yeah, once oil prices were proven to go DOWN from attacks, they basically stopped complaining. Plus Russia continued to escalate attacking power plants so that excuse was also off the table.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Kharkiv offensive was assumed with the build up of 50,000 troops. We'll see how hard Russia pushes this week, because they have about a month or so before artillery shells should be coming in significant amounts into Ukraine from the US and Czech purchase.

So far the recon groups got smashed, with significant casualties relatively. I still don't know what they plan to do though as 50,000 troops is not enough to take Kharkiv. Maybe they try to semi-isolate and push east.

Yeah, once oil prices were proven to go DOWN from attacks, they basically stopped complaining. Plus Russia continued to escalate attacking power plants so that excuse was also off the table.
I would assume they are probing right now to see if there are any weaknesses in Ukrainian defense, similar to what Ukraine did during their offensive.

Personally I doubt the goal for the Russians is to take Kharkiv (the city); but to create a new front in the North to spread the Ukrainian army thin. Expect a ton of casualties from the Russian side in the coming days, like significantly more casualties. Ukraine must be really dug in deep along that front by now (one would hope).

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
The main issue is in most places if 50 or so masked people show up at a city hall to proclaim a "people's Republic", the police and military show up very quickly and it soon becomes apparent that this isn't some sort of popular uprising.

Yeah, it's something that needs to be cooked up, 2-5 years timeframe, spread propaganda campaigns, start with a few 100's and steadly increase the numbers to cause trouble and test progressively NATO's humour, it's what is happening in Ukraine since 2014. Everyone knew that both separatist groups in dotnetsk and luhansk were just Russian soldiers.

ratprophet

Jun 24, 2021
In Bulgaria, reporters found out about a russian funded paramilitary organisation in one of the port cities. They've basically "bought" a small village there.
Fully funded by russia, hiding with the help of the conservative parties.
I suspect there are similar things happening in other eastern europe countries.

Do you have a source for this? I don't doubt you, but my gf is Bulgarian and I'd like to share this with her and can't find it through Google.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like the Russians are trying to cross the border near Kharkiv:

www.theguardian.com

Russia-Ukraine war live: Kyiv sends reinforcements to Kharkiv and evacuates civilians as Russian forces advance

Head of the town of Vovchansk’s military administration said transport was being organised for those without cars

If this is the famed and expected "Russian Summer Offensive" then I hope it's as mild as it sounds and no progress is made by Russians.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
Do you have a source for this? I don't doubt you, but my gf is Bulgarian and I'd like to share this with her and can't find it through Google.
Here you go
This is the original, but half of it's locked behind a registration.

www.capital.bg

Ветринска народна република: "Исторически парк" се въоръжава

След превземането на община Ветрино култът на Ивелин Михайлов създава свои силови институции, които да налагат ред в отцепената територия

Fortunately, the first 48 hours of an article don't have any walls and you can read them properly here:

web.archive.org

След превземането на община Ветрино култът на Ивелин Михайлов създава свои силови институции, които да налагат ред в отцепената територия

The situation is dire

Edit: I think the google english translation is good enough if you want to read it on your own as well.

ratprophet

Jun 24, 2021
Here you go
This is the original, but half of it's locked behind a registration.

www.capital.bg

Fortunately, the first 48 hours of an article don't have any walls and you can read them properly here:

web.archive.org

The situation is dire

Edit: I think the google english translation is good enough if you want to read it on your own as well.

Legend, thank you

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
out now
  • Additional munitions for Patriot air defense systems;
  • Additional munitions for National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems (NASAMS);
  • Stinger anti-aircraft missiles;
  • Equipment to integrate Western launchers, missiles, and radars with Ukraine's systems;
  • Additional High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems(HIMARS) and ammunition;
  • 155mm and 105mm artillery rounds;
  • Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicles;
  • M113 Armored Personnel Carriers;
  • Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles;
  • Trailers to transport heavy equipment;
  • Tube-Launched, Optically-Tracked, Wire-Guided (TOW) missiles;
  • Javelin and AT-4 anti-armor systems;
  • Precision aerial munitions;
  • High-speed Anti-radiation missiles (HARMs);
  • Small arms and additional rounds of small arms ammunition and grenades;
  • Demolitions munitions and equipment for obstacle clearing;
  • Coastal and riverine patrol boats;
  • Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear protective equipment; and
  • Spare parts, training munitions, maintenance, and other ancillary equipment.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Well, another Patriot battery will not happen in the near future.
I wonder if it is because there are just not enough Patriot missiles for another battery in full operation.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎

View: https://twitter.com/delfoo/status/1788297235022672296

View: https://twitter.com/delfoo/status/1788297238881403220

things like this will put pressure on inflation later this year (not big, but still), + diesel prices, which play big role in agriculture

seems like damage even more bigger that it looked

May destroyed the crops
www.kommersant.ru

Май уничтожил урожай

Как последствия заморозков отразятся на сельхозпроизводителях
It's hard to assess the magnitude of what has happened now, but that it will seriously adjust our crop outlook is certain.
frosts, for example, in the Moscow region, may last until June 10. But the whole question is when it happens, in what period, and how powerful was the bad weather? Such a strong blow has not happened for a long time, it is even difficult to say when something like this happened".
In the Tambov region, frosts also damaged perennial plantings.
there will be problems with the harvest this year, because last year there was no such deterioration of weather in so many regions of Russia, and then we lost 30% of winter wheat

Russia may lose up to a third of its fruit crop due to frosts

and thanks to Patrushev's son - there's seed shortage as well
https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/6464671
Russia used to buy most of its imported seeds from Germany, Hungary, France and the Netherlands. However, imports from the latter country were banned by Rosselkhoznadzor in 2023

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017

U35k4yQ.jpeg

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017

Reminder the USSR attempted to "force" the west to capitulate on improving the economic situation of West Berlin by blockading all land routes heading in. The West responses by spending almost a full year airdropping supplies to West Berlin. Eventually the Soviets gave in and removed the blockades.

The USSR attempted to starve 250k people for geopolitics, and when the West doesn't have their fingers up their own ass, they have tremendous power they can leverage as seen by that example.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
Oct 27, 2017
They appear ballistic, so not Storm Shadows. But I don't think the US has given permission for Ukraine to use their supplied weapons on Russian soil. Could be Ukrainian tactical ballistic missiles of some kind.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They appear ballistic, so not Storm Shadows. But I don't think the US has given permission for Ukraine to use their supplied weapons on Russian soil. Could be Ukrainian tactical ballistic missiles of some kind.
Remember that Storm Shadows are British and French, not American. And the UK's Foreign Secretary David Cameron said Ukraine is allowed to use British weapons to hit targets within Russia. But you could still be right that these aren't Storm Shadows.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

Impacts of cruise missiles look like ballistic missiles

05ce03bb9b3e4540a91a1201de2b3cbd.jpg

Tbh, i would love to hear those are Ukrainian produced ballistic missiles.
I hope Ukraine will once produce missiles in masses on their own.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Impacts of cruise missiles look like ballistic missiles

05ce03bb9b3e4540a91a1201de2b3cbd.jpg

Tbh, i would love to hear those are Ukrainian produced ballistic missiles.
I hope Ukraine will once produce missiles in masses on their own.
I'm curious too. Last I read they were still working on Hrim-2. But apparently it's been in development for a long time now, and I don't think we even have a timeframe when it'll be in operational use

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
EUs 27 member states seem to have agreed on an Security Assurance Agreement for Ukraine.
The draft reportedly pledges weapons and nonlethal supplies and training and other assistance.

Welt am Sonntag per Radio Free Europe

Surely it will not be as detailed as other bilateral Security Agreements, but an agreement on Security with the whole EU bloc is a big thing.
I wouldn't have thought it is possible with countries like Orban's Hungary in the EU.