EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I don't think it's these. Definitely not 42 of them, I don't even think that many exist.

I believe it should be something similar to that design.
The list says 42 mine clearing tanks, beside 4 mobile and protected mine clearing systems.

But yes, could be all kinds of mine clearing tanks.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
This is quite different from Kyiv and Kharkiv. Russia is ceding territory that Russia officially recognizes as theirs.
This terrible precedent is of their own making because they wanted to create a more credible nuclear threat and use their conscripts on occupied territory.
In the end it will only harm their statehood and territorial integrity.
Great.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
So what do they mean exactly by surrendering? Are the Russians just retreating from the city or are they actually giving themselves up to the Ukrainian military? I presume it's the former.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Hundreds of doom posts on Telegram that Kherson has surrendered, and that it will officially be announced tonight.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
This is quite different from Kyiv and Kharkiv. Russia is ceding territory that Russia officially recognizes as theirs.
This terrible precedent is of their own making because they wanted to create a more credible nuclear threat and use their conscripts on occupied territory.
In the end it will only harm their statehood and territorial integrity.
Great.
technically , they haven't acknowledged it's theirs.

You see, the "new territories", as per Russian constitution are missing this tiny little detail... called clearly defined borders

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Hundreds of doom posts on Telegram that Kherson has surrendered, and that it will officially be announced tonight.
Even if that is true i doubt we'll get a official ukrainian statement before the weekend.

Spetsnaz and pioneers will have to advance very slowly through kherson city.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Yes, the "big joke" about Russians "new territories" is that no one knows where the actual borders are.
They made "referendums" in territories without a known border, and "incorporated" territories into the Russian Federation without known borders.

I'm sure the official language will be that Kherson is not part of the protected and incorporated new Russian territories.
While, of course, propaganda says that Ukraine attacked Russia.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Yes, the "big joke" about Russians "new territories" is that no one knows where the actual borders are.
They made "referendums" in territories without a known border, and "incorporated" territories into the Russian Federation without known borders.

I'm sure the official language will be that Kherson is not part of the protected and incorporated new Russian territories.
While, of course, propaganda says that Ukraine attacked Russia.
FYI, Snihurivka was actually part of Mykolayiv Oblast all along.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
FYI, Snihurivka was actually part of Mykolayiv Oblast all along.

I mean, those "new territories" don't need to respect Ukrainian oblasts.
Russia just announced as fast as possible some "new territories" by name, to have something in hand if there would be negotiations.
Almost no one will recognise the territories, as the votes in the UN show.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I guess Russia wanted to get out of Kherson before winter really set in. I wonder if those troops that got crushed in assaulting Pavlivka had been drawn from Kherson area.

With Kherson back to Ukraine Russia has very little left for the tens of thousands dead. If Ukraine squeezes that neck of the land bridge to Crimea, then Russia will have achieved virtually nothing but death and destruction.

SunGodNika

Jul 11, 2022
Can someone explain to me why people are saying Kherson is under UA control, when the city of Kherson appears to still be in Russian hands?

I mean looking at the ISW map, the map location for Kherson appears to be in the red territory.

Oct 25, 2017
Huge victory in Kherson getting liberated, with the range advantage Ukranian forces should be able to keep Russian temper tantrum artillery from doing major damage to the city proper.

This also leaves Ukraine to prepare for the next offensive.

Aug 12, 2019
I'll huzzah when the Ukrainian flag is raised in Kherson and evacuations immediately begin as both the infrastructure situation leaves thousands exposed AND as soon as they cross the river Russia will begin pounding Kherson with artillery I suspect.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
means they did the correct military thing, at the expense of an enormous political humiliation.

Also means the rest of the fighting will become even more intense, b/c the orcs will have a greater concentration of now battle-hardened troops along a shorter frontline.
Really depends on how well they withdraw, with what equipment, and how depleted they are from holding on so long. Both sides now will have a much shorter line but the way things are going for Russia momentum wise, this will significantly help Ukraine get ready for a more concentrated thrust in the Winter somewhere.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
Excellent news. Let's see how that withdrawal goes, I hope that they lose a ton of heavy equipment because they can't evacuate it all using the pontons.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Excellent news. Let's see how that withdrawal goes, I hope that they lose a ton of heavy equipment because they can't evacuate it all using the pontons.
I suspect the bulk of it has already been evacuated.

UAF will get their bunch of trophies, to be sure, but I wouldn't expect anything significantly greater than the Balakliya-Izyum trophies. They'll abandon whatever wasn't running, but they've had plenty of time to pull stuff out using barges in the past 3 weeks.

I would love to be wrong, obviously, but given this is the absolutely correct military decision they are making (albeit about 2 months too late), I am expecting something that'll be 15-20% rout at most. majority of the units will withdraw properly.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Going public like this probably makes a structured withdrawal of the remaining forces unlikely. Once they hear of the retreat panic is gonna set in and everyone is gonna start running