• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
This episode.....i honestly really loved. Like i am not sure how RWBY Reviewers will feel about this episode it i really liked it

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well just fuck me right in the feels why don't you?

Curious how this whole thing will work for Emerald and Mercury.

The entire JNR section was just amazing. But who was the Red Haired Woman!?! Pryyha mom? Sister? A ghost?!!?

Love Oscar's new duds and Ruby finally putting her foot down on Qrow's bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
This was a really great episode but one thing is kinda bothering me

Oscar just coming back with new clothes after they kinda built it up for him to have a conflict with himself feels too clean. There is also the possibility Ozpin is actually in control and is pretending to be Oscar, but right now I am kinda disappointed that Oscar is kinda being glanced over and we don't really get to see him work things out himself

But the other parts of this episode were great

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Man this did not go where I expected it to. Thought things would be more dramatic but everything really started to really come together really well.

On one hand you have Emerald and Mercury the latter of which we now know a lot more of including why we haven't seen him show a Semblance. His father stole it and he never got it back before Mercury killed him. Emerald is really attached to Cinder but I think Mercury might be starting to open her eyes to the realization that Cinder doesn't give a shit about her which is obvious to us because well... Cinder. However to her she really is in denial. More interesting to note is that Tyrion pretty much told them how fucked they pretty much are. 'Oh you can't leave...' like he knows if they even try Salem is going to straight up murder them. They either serve as pawns or die, I'm not really sure where they go from here tbh Emerald is certainly a lot more conflicted then Mercury but I get the feeling he doesn't like the position hes currently in now either. I'm not sure if either of them will actually try to escape and either join up with Cinder or go on the run this is certainly an interesting turn of events. Also big signs shit is going to go down in Atlas soon with Tyrion and the other guy heading there which I assume is next season.

The statue of Pyrrah was unexpected but man it was a damn fine scene. It was nice to hear Pyrrah's voice again from this red headed woman (which is what she was listed as in the credits FYI I was hoping it might list who she actually was but nope) who is clearly meant to look like her family member but by the way she disappeared was more like a ghost. This was a great resolution to the conflict that JNR have been dealing with and really giving them motivation for why they still need to try even if it seems hopeless, because thats what Pyrrah did and thats what they should do. I also liked that Ren and Nora didn't let Jaune beat himself up anymore either, the three of them really feel like they came together in a big way in this moment.

The final scene with Oscar just showing back up perfectly fine (I guess he went out to buy some gear and didn't think to tell anyone? XD) and trying to cook everyone some Dinner was really nice and felt like for the first time that we actually had a cohesive team with the odd drunk out being Qrow who Ruby thankfully FINALLY CALLED HIM OUT ON HIS FUCKING DRUNK BULLSHIT! That was cathartic as all hell. Jaune's plan is clearly nuts but they've got to do something to get to Atlas and sitting around waiting and hoping clearly isn't going to do anything so maybe they should do something crazy. Jaune tends to actually have good ideas and reminds me of Sokka from Avatar TLA in a lot of ways so we'll have to see how it plays out but I get the feeling the season will end with them finally going to Atlas or maybe just arriving.

Also this last part was the first time I felt like we are seeing the real players in this story. It's RWBY and ORNJ, I mean sure its been that way for awhile but many times they've felt overshadowed by Ozpin, Qrow, or many of the other adults but now it feels like they are all really taking the reigns of this mission for themselves instead of being lead by someone else.

Also man IDK what staffing changes they made this season if any but its crazy how much better everything is this season, the writing is better, the animation is better, everything is better and is a huge step up from the past couple of seasons.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Best episode since the first of this season (which is not saying much). As many of us had already guessed, Emerald
does not have a very solid foundation in the group past her loyalty to Cinder
, so that could potentially lead to an interesting change of face. Probably not, but one could hope.

I feel they revisited
Jaune's grief with Pyrrha again
way too far down the line, but better late than never. As a scene, it was fine and I'm glad that Nora has more of a presence this season in general.

Also, I could sell a ravenous crocodile as a domestic house pet better than this show is selling Oscar as part of the team. The ending made me gag. Ruby's development as a leader, while heavy-handed (Kids vs. adults? Seriously?), is coming across relatively nicely.

Last edited:

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't taken the time to post impressions on the previous episodes because honestly they didn't really do much for me. But I have to say they nailed this one out of the park.
The JNR scene was beautiful. Jaune coming across Pyrrha's statue got me emotional almost immediately, and to have a scene where he was able to talk to one of her family members (presumably her mother) made it all the more powerful. Nora and Ren were great too, and I'm happy that both were adamant in letting Jaune know that they care about him.

Props to Ruby for giving Crow the business. Hopefully he'll straighten out... though I wouldn't mind him leaving and we get mama Raven instead.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely top comedy material that Oscar sent the entire team into a panic attack by just going out to buy clothes when everyone else was screwing around in the other rooms.

Also I don't think Ozpin is coming back. He's served his purpose to the plot and the buck's on Oscar now.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely top comedy material that Oscar sent the entire team into a panic attack by just going out to buy clothes when everyone else was screwing around in the other rooms.

Also I don't think Ozpin is coming back. He's served his purpose to the plot and the buck's on Oscar now.
unless Ozpin sacrifice his soul somehow I don't think he has much of a choice oscar is on ticking clock

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
unless Ozpin sacrifice his soul somehow I don't think he has much of a choice oscar is on ticking clock

I could see the rules having a bit of leeway - maybe Ozma has taken full control of his hosts in the merger because he thought that was the right way to save the world, but with Oscar he just passed down his memories and mission while leaving Oscar as the dominant personality?

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, anyone else notice that some of the characters are T-Posing for a few freeze-frames in Ep9?

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
On something not related to the last episode, but rather everything Post-Volume 3 - Which Mercury's line reminded me of since it reminded me of Chrollo in HxH. And compounded by the fact that these are airing the day after JoJo.

Anyone else disappointed that there's really been nothing in the way of Shonen-esque Semblance-shenanigans since Volume 3? Yeah, sure, the characters have been using their Semblances in battle and Jaune's semblance came in handy at the end of V5 and start of V6 - But no Semblances have really been the crux of an episode/arc in a way that can make you say "That's bullshit, but I believe it."

Honestly I hope Salem has more minions around than we've seen so far (Or cranks up the recruitment in V7-onwards), considering we basically know all the current ones' Semblances. The first four Volumes had a solid Villain of the Week format going that introduced most of these guys, but then it basically stopped with Volume 5.

...I can't even put these thoughts into words properly right now >_> - But surely I'm not the only one who noticed that Post-Monty RWBY is decided not Shonen in nature like Volumes 1-3 were. Yeah, Volume 6 has the best production quality and strongest narrative of all the volumes, but it really feels like it's still missing something that the original 3 had.

tl;dr I miss Shonen RWBY, and this last episode making a nod to Hunter x Hunter and Volume 6 airing right next to JoJo Part 5 made my Withdrawal symptoms even worse.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
London
Started watching RWBY and am on Season 3 right now. Animation quality improved greatly since Season 1, that's for sure. Got into it because ScruffyTurtles the Persona game fan artist is a fan of it too. Out of the main girls my faves have to be Weiss and Yang. Even the villain girls are cute even though we're supposed to hate them. Really enjoying it so far.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started watching RWBY and am on Season 3 right now. Animation quality improved greatly since Season 1, that's for sure. Got into it because ScruffyTurtles the Persona game fan artist is a fan of it too. Out of the main girls my faves have to be Weiss and Yang. Even the villain girls are cute even though we're supposed to hate them. Really enjoying it so far.
Glad your enjoying the show.

I'll give you a heads up that Volumes 4-5 are pretty divisive, I didn't mind them but a lot of people really don't like them.

But Volume 6 has been damn near universally praised as some of the shows best so far.

Also always nice to meet another ScruffyTurtles fan.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Caught up to Episode 7 recently and hoooooooooooooooooooly shit what an absurd rise in quality. Volume 4 was awful, and it felt like they didnt like the arc theyd set up in it so tried to rush through 5 asap. Now 6has actual things happening and its getting really good again.

Oz being a semi dirtbag is great, though that retcon backstory for Salem was iffy. They were onto something good but then burped and said "then this character pushed through so many mistakes and betrayals and pushed to selfishness then falls into a tar pit and becomes EVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILL" was lame. I'd have preferred it literally being Salem pissed at Oz and not giving a shit about humans so its just a petty marital dispute with horrific casualties.

I feel really cynical, because I see Jaun's sister and all I see is the team seeing half a decades worth of people getting irritated at no lgbt reps and tossed in a one time token lesbian couple to basically say "here, thats what you get" and then feel completely self righteous when they make every main character straight.

Also sucks that Jaun's sister is so much of a better design than him :( I wish they hadnt just shat all over multiple historical girls who were forced to pretend to be dudes by literally making themdudes and doing nothing with it. Mulan and Jeanne deserve better as inspirations.

MARIA IS SO FUCKING COOL THOUGH

I got into the show this year because of BlazBlue Tag, and it was a huge bummer having the show start off really strong with the first 3 volumes only to fall off hard with 4 and 5. That said, Volume 6 has been amazing so far. Almost every episode has been great (wasn't a fan of the giant lore episode, but I appreciate the effort they put into it)

The girl from the flashback inspired by Peter Pan ('s crocodile) was so cool. Also, went back and rewatched that fight and her clock actually lasted 60 seconds like she said. I'm a sucker for attention to detail like that.
Honestly, The set ups in V2 and the entirety of V3 are so fuckin good. Im glad 6 is doing huge plot reveals with actual drama between characters and conflicts, it's getting good again.

If only cinder was left dead for more than an episode lmfao.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season 3 was the last season Oum worked on(i think?) so reaaaally dont get used to the animation quality.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
When is Emerald going to realize that Cinder was just using her? Why are you making me side with Deathstroke Junior?

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Ream RWBYJNR is all:

ikIucUF.jpg

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel really cynical, because I see Jaun's sister and all I see is the team seeing half a decades worth of people getting irritated at no lgbt reps and tossed in a one time token lesbian couple to basically say "here, thats what you get" and then feel completely self righteous when they make every main character straight.

RT won't be that dense. They've known what a good chunk of their fan base have wanted for 5+ years now. If they use Jaune's sister as their "bone to the fans" the heat they would catch would be nuclear.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Season 3 was the last season Oum worked on(i think?) so reaaaally dont get used to the animation quality.
RT won't be that dense. They've known what a good chunk of their fan base have wanted for 5+ years now. If they use Jaune's sister as their "bone to the fans" the heat they would catch would be nuclear.

They caught heat last year because the first out LGBT character in the series was a "Friendzone makes me muuuuurdeerrr!!!" trope.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they drove on just fine with that awful patronizing racism allegory from the last volume.

Plus, if they go the way they're implying with Yang and Blake, it'll be soooooooooooooooo much worse. Unrequited gay bullshit is as much of an awful overplayed trope as flamboyant villains.

Even worse than that is how much people on the team joke and tease Yang/Blake behind the scenes for the past 5 years, so to turn that queerbaitey annoyance into the shittiest gay trope in the world, would be a trashfire.

They seem to be leaning in on the Yang x Blake
Yeah, in a really obvious way too. That scene of the two in the storage shed was pretty overt.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I would like it if we got to the point a series could just have an lgbt couple and people don't even consider it as some kind of "throwing a bone" nonsense

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'd like Ren and Nora being canon actually. Jaune and Pyrrha is probably the only canon couple that has existed in the series and it's totally one sided because Jaune is a oblivious moron and kept flirting with Weiss in season 2 when she wants nothing to do with him and ignoring Pyrrha's obvious interest in him. The RWBY shipping community seems utterly nuts though. The problem with introducing canon couples though is that given how nuts RWBY shippers are certain people would ALWAYS flip shit that their preferred pairing isn't canon.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like Ren and Nora being canon actually.

Am I missing something or is this talking about some books? To my knowledge Ren and Nora are together in the show. In fact, the only team members to officially have a romantic relationship (which let me tell you, is not entertaining, seeing as Ren has a presence dwarfed by a bag of potato chips). I don't really count Jaune and Pyrrha being an actual couple since one gets destroyed before it really goes anywhere, but it's arguable seeing that the feelings were rather mutual.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Uhhhh Jaune's sister and her wife are not the first LGBT reps.

That's Illia.

You can't be token when your not even the first lesbian in the show.

And Illia wasn't with Adam because she got friend zoned. It was her using her feelings a as an example of Blake not knowing her as well as she thought she did, so she is misjudging what she would be capable of.

Her initially being on his side was about believing in the cause and wanting revenge for her parents. Had nothing to do with being Blake not liking her romantically.

Oct 25, 2017

That's Illia.

And Illia wasn't with Adam because she got friend zoned. It was her using her feelings a as an example of Blake not knowing her as well as she thought she did, so she is misjudging what she would be capable of.

Her initially being on his side was about believing in the cause and wanting revenge for her parents. Had nothing to do with being Blake not liking her romantically.

This

It is genuinely frustrating seeing people claiming Ilia is a "psycho lesbian" when her feelings for Blake aren't what made her attack the Belladonna's in V5. It is because she wanted revenge for her parents dying in the mines.

Adam is a psycho ex.

Not Ilia.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's Illia.

Yes, you can, first of all.

secondly, Illia wasn't good either.

The writers are not good at actually writing anything out of their safety zone when it comes to actual diversity.

I straight up FORGOT Illia was gay, which says a whole lot about how well written that was, and a lesbian couple with an accumulative 2 minutes of on screen presence and maybe 5 or so full lines arent representation, they're background characters.

The going psycho over friendzone isnt the problem, it's the fetishizingly "tragic" clicher of making your gay character be unrequited and mega angsty with no resolution to that.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like Ren and Nora being canon actually. Jaune and Pyrrha is probably the only canon couple that has existed in the series and it's totally one sided because Jaune is a oblivious moron and kept flirting with Weiss in season 2 when she wants nothing to do with him and ignoring Pyrrha's obvious interest in him. The RWBY shipping community seems utterly nuts though. The problem with introducing canon couples though is that given how nuts RWBY shippers are certain people would ALWAYS flip shit that their preferred pairing isn't canon.
Pretty much the only reason I want Blake and Yang to get together is I'm pretty sure the Bumblebee fan base would burn down the internet otherwise.

Frankly if any couple involving Team RWBY happened I'd be rooting for Monochrome personally.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Starting Volume 4. Impressions: Here comes the classic anime filler arc. Not much is happening, I REALLY don't like how the crew is split up and some evil villain council is popping out of nowhere.

Season 3 was fantastic. I am so sad about
Pyrrha, her kissing Jaune before trying to fight Cinder hit me in the feels. I feel like she didn't need to do the heroic sacrifice thing, just run away together goddamnit :( Really liked her too.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Hot take?

Season 4 was the first season of the show that was actually consistently good the whole way through

All four girls actually get to be introspective and grow. We finally get to meet the true antagonist and actually learn her motivations

We learn far more about the world outside of Vale, especially how people who don't live in the cities suffer at the hands of the grim

Nora and Ren actually get to be real characters and grow, Jeaune also gets some great moments deal with the fallout of s3's ending

We get good information about the world and why things are happening

S1 is bad

S2 is mostly bad, but better then s1

S3 has from the time the 1v1s start is pretty great, but the first half is an uniniteresting, no stakes tournament arc that is more worried about showing off weird weapons for one off characters then actually developing the world or cast

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
On something not related to the last episode, but rather everything Post-Volume 3 - Which Mercury's line reminded me of since it reminded me of Chrollo in HxH. And compounded by the fact that these are airing the day after JoJo.

Anyone else disappointed that there's really been nothing in the way of Shonen-esque Semblance-shenanigans since Volume 3? Yeah, sure, the characters have been using their Semblances in battle and Jaune's semblance came in handy at the end of V5 and start of V6 - But no Semblances have really been the crux of an episode/arc in a way that can make you say "That's bullshit, but I believe it."

Honestly I hope Salem has more minions around than we've seen so far (Or cranks up the recruitment in V7-onwards), considering we basically know all the current ones' Semblances. The first four Volumes had a solid Villain of the Week format going that introduced most of these guys, but then it basically stopped with Volume 5.

...I can't even put these thoughts into words properly right now >_> - But surely I'm not the only one who noticed that Post-Monty RWBY is decided not Shonen in nature like Volumes 1-3 were. Yeah, Volume 6 has the best production quality and strongest narrative of all the volumes, but it really feels like it's still missing something that the original 3 had.

tl;dr I miss Shonen RWBY, and this last episode making a nod to Hunter x Hunter and Volume 6 airing right next to JoJo Part 5 made my Withdrawal symptoms even worse.

Yeah the Semblance/Power System in this show has been pretty much entirely squandered. But I guess it's not clear to me that the staff has the writing creativity to use shonen power-sets akin to HxH and Jojo well. There is a big difference in allowed flexibility between "make things faster" (which would be a powerset a Stand would have and is a subset of what the DC Hero the Flash does via the Speedforce) and "limited superspeed" which is basically what Ruby has (and rarely uses).

Oct 27, 2017
London
Season 3 ending was literally the dead girlfriend being the motivation for a dude to get revenge trope which annoys me so much in video games. They must have trolled us by that point when they thought of doing this by canonizing a ship then blowing it up with a literal torpedo minutes later.

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the Semblance/Power System in this show has been pretty much entirely squandered. But I guess it's not clear to me that the staff has the writing creativity to use shonen power-sets akin to HxH and Jojo well. There is a big difference in allowed flexibility between "make things faster" (which would be a powerset a Stand would have and is a subset of what the DC Hero the Flash does via the Speedforce) and "limited superspeed" which is basically what Ruby has (and rarely uses).
Ruby dosen't really have traditional super speed, beyond that provided by her aura, rather her semblance provides thrust; which is why she can fly.

Schnee

Oct 25, 2017
Maria carries on being one of the best characters.

The next few episodes are gonna be wild, really hope we're getting a Summon vs Mecha fight.

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
I screamed when they showed it was Adam even though I should have expected it.

I was also hoping Yang would run him over with her bike.

SD Burton post if you're OK

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved this episode despite how short it was.

Called it being Adam.

Maria is the best person in this show and Ruby is determined to keep that character development.

Guess next episode will wrap up Adam as I really don't see it dragging on much after this.

Hope Bee fans are happy despite my dislike of the paring.

Also still betting on Yang getting her hair forcibly cut short.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Before watching I was like "Damn, it's already episode 10? Some big stuff needs to happen soon"

Adam coming back definitely qualifies, should've seen it coming but definitely a big "holy shit" moment

I forgot he ditched the mask during the short before the season, but I'm still waiting for the reveal that he has silver eyes

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Good setup for the finale.

And he is back! Likely Blake/Yang vs Adam, with him meeting his end indeed.

Mech fight should be fun hopefully, while Neo will probably come in to do some shit, and Qrow might die as a result of that.

Looking forward to this finale!

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say though; Adam's voice actor has gotten a lot better over the years. I remember seeing him in Blake's introduction trailer and he was just abysmal.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yang is gonna get some sweet revenge next episode. I doubt Qrow dies fighting some random joke villain mech.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot the episode came out today so I'm late!

Well a shorter episode again, I wish they'd get a certain length down for these episodes and at least make them 15-20 minutes instead of dipping all over the place.

Maria continues to be the best new character.

The Atlas woman is insane and is likely going to cause massive panic unveiling the mech.

Ruby seems to finally getting through to Qrow not sure what to really think about where he ends up going forward. I could just as easily see him deciding to hold the Atlas military back and turn himself over while everyone escapes or I could see him really turning himself around. I don't think hes dead this season anymore but I think his time is coming.

I really liked the Weiss and Maria banter and the Yang and Blake banter.

Then we get to the end of the episode and for the life of me I didn't think of Adam showing up again, certainly not alone but it was a good surprise. Him full out stalking Blake for months and just waiting for a chance to attack her really shows just how fucked up he is. I really liked Blake's comments here telling him she wants nothing to do with him or his life and he needs to move on but Adam's an abusive asshole so of course he doesn't.

Seriously though, he needs to die. If he survives past this like Cinder did I'm going to be pissed and frankly the show needs to start being willing to kill off more characters as the cast is really bloated at this point and Adam while an effective villain has already served his role and the shit with Blake was settled last season, the only thing left is for Yang to settle things with him and god I hope she does. Girl has spent 3 seasons not doing jack shit after he cut off her arm, its time for her to kick some fucking ass again!!

How many episodes do we have left this season?