• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Please please please kill off Adam next episode. I'm so sick of him.

This could be the last episode we see Edgelord Adam....

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
London
Caught up to the show completely, whew. Now I can read most of the spoiler posts now. Really liking season 6 much more than 4 and 5, tensions are building up in the team and it shows. I don't know how they will handle the
unkillable Salem thing
though without some weird magic god shit.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Correct me if I'm wrong (spoilers for newest episode and the whole series)

Nobody on team Rwby has ever actually killed another human right? Closest I belive is Blake who during her v5 fight watched as someone got crushed but iirc it wasn't her attack that caused it to fall

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong (spoilers for newest episode and the whole series)

Nobody on team Rwby has ever actually killed another human right? Closest I belive is Blake who during her v5 fight watched as someone got crushed but iirc it wasn't her attack that caused it to fall
They knocked a fair few White Fang mooks off the train, but never explicitly on screen, no.

Oct 27, 2017
London
I really want Emerald to defect. She has no loyalty to the villain group other than to Cinder. Also her design is nice as well as Neo's design. I still don't know why the villains are siding with Salem at all, they lack backstory.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really want Emerald to defect. She has no loyalty to the villain group other than to Cinder. Also her design is nice as well as Neo's design. I still don't know why the villains are siding with Salem at all, they lack backstory.
Tyrian is clearly out of fanatical worship.

Watts is probably smart enough to figure out that he has little options of survival apposing her.

Hazel "You hate Ozpin? I hate Ozpin!"

Salem was probably a grab for power. I wouldn't be surprised if she actually wanted the relic's so she could try and double cross her eventually.

I'm conflicted with Emerald. She has her sympathetic moments but still didn't hesitate when it came to murdering Amber or Penny.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Wonder what the final battle will be like this volume. Cinder's gonna die I think. Also please kill edgelord angry bull man Adam. He's a 1D character and he's disappointingly written. His only existence is to further bumblebee. It would be hilarious as someone who was on that Arkos ship if they sank Bumblebee.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what the final battle will be like this volume. Cinder's gonna die I think. Also please kill edgelord angry bull man Adam. He's a 1D character and he's disappointingly written. His only existence is to further bumblebee. It would be hilarious as someone who was on that Arkos ship if they sank Bumblebee.

Still waiting for the reveal that Adam has silver eyes then he ends up joining JNR or some shit lol

I hope Yang ends him next episode though.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Turns out Adam is a god all along who is the physical form of the god of light and is the key to killing Salem! The light god is a Faunus because he has deer horns, Adam is a Faunus, I cracked the code now!

Basically Salem exists because the deities are assholes and didn't bring her lover back. My other predictions is that Salem tries turning Jaune to the dark side by telling him "I know Pyrrha was in love with you, and I know that you wish you knew that she loved you, I feel your pain, side with me and together we can kill the gods and bring her back to you fulfilling all our desires". Jaune refuses because that's not what she would have wanted and he won't betray his friends, even though he misses Pyrrha deeply.

Anyone else miss this show being a mostly wholesome show with school shenanigans, awkward fiirting, when JNR was JNPR and sometimes fighting bad guys?

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Turns out Adam is a god all along who is the physical form of the god of light and is the key to killing Salem! The light god is a Faunus because he has deer horns, Adam is a Faunus, I cracked the code now!

Basically Salem exists because the deities are assholes and didn't bring her lover back. My other predictions is that Salem tries turning Jaune to the dark side by telling him "I know Pyrrha was in love with you, and I know that you wish you knew that she loved you, I feel your pain, side with me and together we can kill the gods and bring her back to you fulfilling all our desires". Jaune refuses because that's not what she would have wanted and he won't betray his friends, even though he misses Pyrrha deeply.

Anyone else miss this show being a mostly wholesome show with school shenanigans, awkward fiirting, when JNR was JNPR and sometimes fighting bad guys?
Nah, cause that show kinda sucked super hard outside of choreography.

Oct 27, 2017
London
I miss the tone of those seasons sometimes though, even if writing wise the show wasn't as interesting back then. Those better times before we get hit by feels trains. The slice of life anime arc before the shit goes down. Though I like the Persona social link aspect so that's why I liked the overall tone back then.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I miss the tone of those seasons sometimes though, even if writing wise the show wasn't as interesting back then. Those better times before we get hit by feels trains. The slice of life anime arc before the shit goes down. Though I like the Persona social link aspect so that's why I liked the overall tone back then.
There's appeal to those more lighthearted arcs I agree.

But it's hard to want to go back at least right now.

I think that's kinda what Chibi is supposed to be for. To capture more of the original light hearted tone.(though obviously more exaggerated.)

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hello friends I haven't watched any of volume 6 yet. After the past 2 volumes I sort of lost my interest in RWBY. The RWBY Fandom seems to really love this current volume but I don't really trust their taste. Should I return? Also I've been spoiled on 2 things.
I've seen thumbnails on youtube for Neo and a redhead. Don't know if it's pyrrha somehow returning or not so don't tell me :P

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Hello friends I haven't watched any of volume 6 yet. After the past 2 volumes I sort of lost my interest in RWBY. The RWBY Fandom seems to really love this current volume but I don't really trust their taste. Should I return? Also I've been spoiled on 2 things.
I've seen thumbnails on youtube for Neo and a redhead. Don't know if it's pyrrha somehow returning or not so don't tell me :P

You've not been spoiled on anything relevant that happens in v6

And if you're only into rwby for the action then v6 won't do it for you as it continues to focus on the story and characters like v4 and v5 did. This volume has had more action on a per episode basis compared to 4/5, but the best episodes of the volume generally have nothing to do with the action.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You've not been spoiled on anything relevant that happens in v6

And if you're only into rwby for the action then v6 won't do it for you as it continues to focus on the story and characters like v4 and v5 did. This volume has had more action on a per episode basis compared to 4/5, but the best episodes of the volume generally have nothing to do with the action.
I don't mind the focus on story. It just wasn't very good in 4/5 lol

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the focus on story. It just wasn't very good in 4/5 lol
Watch the first couple of episodes and see how you feel, if you don't trust others opinions on it all you can do is check it out for yourself.

What I'll say is that its a huge and significant improvement compared to the last couple of seasons.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Watch the first couple of episodes and see how you feel, if you don't trust others opinions on it all you can do is check it out for yourself.

What I'll say is that its a huge and significant improvement compared to the last couple of seasons.
Let me rephrase that. I don't trust RWBY Reddit/Twitter :P I trust this thread a lot more lol

Oct 27, 2017
London
I mean, I enjoy RWBY but writing is not its strong suit, since a couple of dudes (RIP Monty, you are sorely missed) who only wrote a master chief comedy series before are writing this. All I have to say is that season 6 is so much better than 4 and 5. Season 6 is as good as volume 3 IMO. If I was into the series since v3 I can understand if people got disappointed enough to stop watching it. I enjoy the series more for the loveable main cast than any amazing overarching plotline. We actually get Ruby developing as a leader and also some development for the other girls as well. We also get more backstory on the main big bad as well. Cinder still needs a backstory badly though. Watch v6 and see if it's something you like.

Last edited:

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
So far it's the best volume since 3, but for different reasons.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I always stand by every volume 3 and up.

Cause while they're not the best.(really none of rwby is)

I can go back and watch them.

To this day I can't rewatch volume 1

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Volume 1 has some good stuff.

I think the Nevermore/Deathstalker fights are still some of my favorites.

And honestly I know this isn't a popular opinion but I liked Jaune's arc(HAH) and his interactions with Pyrrha.

But the rest is definitely rough around the edges. It's really apparent they were still trying to find their groove.

The fact that the big final fight of the volume only has one member of our title team do anything will always bug me.

2 I think is when things started to pick up.

This will be the Day is still the best theme though.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Volume 1 has some good stuff.

I think the Nevermore/Deathstalker fights are still some of my favorites.

And honestly I know this isn't a popular opinion but I liked Jaune's arc(HAH) and his interactions with Pyrrha.

But the rest is definitely rough around the edges. It's really apparent they were still trying to find their groove.

The fact that the big final fight of the volume only has one member of our title team do anything will always bug me.

2 I think is when things started to pick up.

This will be the Day is still the best theme though.

Volume 1's big problem (besides the obvious budget constraints) is that the momentum hits a brick wall after the teams come together. Filler episodes aren't bad, but making the entire back half of the season before the finale out of filler episodes is a big problem.

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm really concerned that gen:LOCK will damage RWBY because of how much cash has been thrown into that series by hiring famous VA's. Seems like a big resource drain in terms of writers and animators that could be used to improve RWBY.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really concerned that gen:LOCK will damage RWBY because of how much cash has been thrown into that series by hiring famous VA's. Seems like a big resource drain in terms of writers and animators that could be used to improve RWBY.
RWBY Volume 6 seems to be on track to be the best Volume of the show yet and it was made while they were also doing gen:LOCK.

I think it'll be fine. RT seems to be big enough that they can handle a lot of projects.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure that's why Volume 5 was kind of ass, but it looks like their budget has normalized now.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that's why Volume 5 was kind of ass, but it looks like their budget has normalized now.

I think the reason V5 was a mess was because of production issues like making those 3 shorts instead of using those to punch up the actual volume (kinda the same issue V1 of RWBY had) and the fact there was apparently a massive rewrite (where a character was cut out completely from the volume). I am guessing that character might have been Maria considering how slap dash/convenient her introduction into the group in V6 feels.

Oct 25, 2017

I liked V4 despite it's flaws, I hated V5.

So far V6 feels like the best volume of RWBY yet.

I have some small gripes, but imo they don't detract from the overall volume.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
V6 has been okay for me so far, not paced as well as V3. It's definitely better than V4 or V5 but apart from that Oz lore dump in the beginning, my interest in V6 hasn't really been sparked.

Hard to explain but I feel a bit bored/annoyed by the way the characters are interacting and speaking to each other, especially with how they handle Qrow. I like Maria though and her flashback fight scene, and those ReDead Grimm were cool.

The scene with the redhead I admit was very emotional and gripping for me. I won't say more than that but it is my fave scene from V6 so far.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
V6 has been okay for me so far, not paced as well as V3. It's definitely better than V4 or V5 but apart from that Oz lore dump in the beginning, my interest in V6 hasn't really been sparked.

Hard to explain but I feel a bit bored/annoyed by the way the characters are interacting and speaking to each other, especially with how they handle Qrow. I like Maria though and her flashback fight scene, and those ReDead Grimm were cool.

This is one of my gripes of the season as well. I can understand why characters are acting this way, but I don't think they explain it well.

Qrow however I think has been handled really well. His alchoholism has always kinda been treated like a character quirk or a joke. But this volume takes it more seriously. There were also some hints based on the photograph he has of his team where the area around Summer has the imprint of a glass on it, and tears are on the photo. So I am assuming Qrow's drinking is linked with whatever happened to Ruby's mom.

Also when he was poisoned in V4, he is mumbling "She isn't coming back Tai" implying that Qrow was there when Summer died.

Purely speculatory based on these details, but I think Qrow's shitty behavior this volume is because he is having bad memories in regards to Summer's death.

Basically I can get behind the idea of a man completely shutting down after learning what he was fighting for the whole time is seemingly impossible. The kids I kinda had an issue with because at most they've been involved for a year, but Qrow has put more than half of his life into this.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Oh no, I don't have a problem with Qrow, he's fine and I like that they're delving into his issues, I can understand why he's acting the way he is even though it's bad for the team. I have a problem with how everyone around him is treating him. And a number of other things.

> Qrow says one word "Hey" during the Oz argument. Yang, Blake, and Weiss immediately shove their weapons in his face and he looks hurt/shocked but stays silent. No apologies, even from Yang, his niece. It was a gross moment that dropped my opinion of all 3 girls.

> Ruby (and Yang a bit) has been noticing Qrow getting worse with his drinking. They don't decide to talk with him about all they've learned and how it's affecting everyone. Instead everyone jumps to the worst conclusion and sound like they've given up hope...one liners like "We want you there with us, Uncle" from Ruby aren't enough. The issues are shown and shoved to the side. Maybe we'll actually get organic focus on this later in V6 but it's annoying now.

> Seeing that entire story about Oz and not one character.....feels a bit of sympathy towards his circumstances? They all just focus on the last 5 seconds of the story. It feels so mindless and makes me question the intelligence of the RWBY characters (but V5 was already having that effect).

Like I said, I do think V6 is okay. But like in V5, the way the characters interact is frustrating. Like they are being shoved from one scenario to the next without any organic, meaningful development.

I know RWBY's writing has never been the strongest. I just want to see them improve it. V3 remains my fave currently in terms of pace, plot, and interesting character developments that get discussed.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
V3 has awful pacing in its first half. It's just a bunch of mediocrely animated fights with no stakes whatsoever.

It's only once Mercury Vs Yang happenes that the volume kicks into gear and becomes the best volume of the show before V6

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I disagree. The first half of V3 had the build up with Ironwood's Army and the mysterious discussions with Qrow, Oz, etc. Plus, the fight with Qrow vs Winter was a treat and we got some sweet interaction between Qrow/his nieces and Winter/Weiss. I like how before Mercury vs Yang, the show is still almost innocent and naive but teetering on the edge. It contrasts well with the second half.

The tourney fights didn't wow me but certain moments from them did excite me, like seeing JNPR fight together or the brutal Mercury/Emerald tag team.

But anyway, I do look forward to seeing how V6 ends. I hope it's good!

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no, I don't have a problem with Qrow, he's fine and I like that they're delving into his issues, I can understand why he's acting the way he is even though it's bad for the team. I have a problem with how everyone around him is treating him. And a number of other things.

> Qrow says one word "Hey" during the Oz argument. Yang, Blake, and Weiss immediately shove their weapons in his face and he looks hurt/shocked but stays silent. No apologies, even from Yang, his niece. It was a gross moment that dropped my opinion of all 3 girls.

> Ruby (and Yang a bit) has been noticing Qrow getting worse with his drinking. They don't decide to talk with him about all they've learned and how it's affecting everyone. Instead everyone jumps to the worst conclusion and sound like they've given up hope...one liners like "We want you there with us, Uncle" from Ruby aren't enough. The issues are shown and shoved to the side. Maybe we'll actually get organic focus on this later in V6 but it's annoying now.

> Seeing that entire story about Oz and not one character.....feels a bit of sympathy towards his circumstances? They all just focus on the last 5 seconds of the story. It feels so mindless and makes me question the intelligence of the RWBY characters (but V5 was already having that effect).

Like I said, I do think V6 is okay. But like in V5, the way the characters interact is frustrating. Like they are being shoved from one scenario to the next without any organic, meaningful development.

I know RWBY's writing has never been the strongest. I just want to see them improve it. V3 remains my fave currently in terms of pace, plot, and interesting character developments that get discussed.
Why would they be sympathetic to Ozpin, especially at that particular moment?

From their point of view he'd not only lied to them but led them on what must of seemed at the time to be a suicide mission. Then he ups and leaves when they get upset with him. What are they supposed to feel other then anger?

I absolute feel sorry for Oz but I'm not going to hold the emotionally vulnerable group of teenagers acting rashly against them.

Oct 25, 2017

I can understand why they raised their weapons, although the reasoning for why it happened is still a bit strange. Oscar basically had to wrestle control away from Ozpin to warn the girls that Ozpin was hiding something from them. What raises questions for me is "what is the actual nature of Ozpin and Oscar's relationship in terms of knowledge they share?" I can understand why the girls raised their weapons because I doubt they were intending on fighting Qrow, but rather telling him to back off. Qrow was incredibly loyal to Ozpin.

Ruby does voice concern with Qrow. She even tells Qrow that he can talk with her and Yang in episode 6 about stuff, but Qrow brushes her off. And then he continues to ditch them and drink. Qrow isn't in a place where he is open to talk, he feels like everything is over. Although there are some jank lines from Ruby like "they didn't need adults to get them out of bad spots" when 80% of her conflicts have been solved by an adult, I feel like they are handling the idea of people trying to reach out to a person but that person isn't ready to open up to them yet well.

For the Ozma thing, I feel that while a diverse amount of reactions would have been nice... I don't think them "feeling bad for Ozpin" is the message of that story. Yes, he had a tragic backstory, but the information that is relevant to the team and everyone who is following him are "how do we beat Salem" and "do you have a plan?" which he doesn't. Those are the real secrets he was hiding that RWBY had to pry from him. Feeling sorry for him is something we the audience can do because we are just watching the story. RWBY are the active participants. So basically they are reacting to the information that directly impacts their lives.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I can understand why they raised their weapons, although the reasoning for why it happened is still a bit strange. Oscar basically had to wrestle control away from Ozpin to warn the girls that Ozpin was hiding something from them. What raises questions for me is "what is the actual nature of Ozpin and Oscar's relationship in terms of knowledge they share?" I can understand why the girls raised their weapons because I doubt they were intending on fighting Qrow, but rather telling him to back off. Qrow was incredibly loyal to Ozpin.

Ruby does voice concern with Qrow. She even tells Qrow that he can talk with her and Yang in episode 6 about stuff, but Qrow brushes her off. And then he continues to ditch them and drink. Qrow isn't in a place where he is open to talk, he feels like everything is over. Although there are some jank lines from Ruby like "they didn't need adults to get them out of bad spots" when 80% of her conflicts have been solved by an adult, I feel like they are handling the idea of people trying to reach out to a person but that person isn't ready to open up to them yet well.

For the Ozma thing, I feel that while a diverse amount of reactions would have been nice... I don't think them "feeling bad for Ozpin" is the message of that story. Yes, he had a tragic backstory, but the information that is relevant to the team and everyone who is following him are "how do we beat Salem" and "do you have a plan?" which he doesn't. Those are the real secrets he was hiding that RWBY had to pry from him.

The raising the weapon thing felt unnecessarily harsh when I think Qrow was just trying to deflate the anger. I mean, it's not like Qrow was going to attack Ruby or anyone. Telling him with weapons to "back off" when he has a right to join the conversation too, it was disappointing to see the girls display that reaction to Qrow, even if he was loyal to Oz at the time. Yang should know better even if she is easy to anger.

That's a good point about Qrow not being ready and they have shown that. I just want Ruby to be more honest with him and push the issue I guess, she must be frustrated with him. I hope that small moment we got in the last episode wasn't all we get and Qrow suddenly conveniently pulls a 180. That would be too easy.

"Feeling bad for Ozma" was definitely not the message of the story. But even though they are teenagers, I'm almost amazed at how hopelessly they reacted to the story and how they almost view Oz as a "villain" type now. I think the bits about the Gods and everything are just as important as the final bits about Salem.

But watching the story of a guy brought back from death to stop the woman he loved and save humanity from judgment, while being cursed to reincarnate and forcibly take over the life of a random soul........that sucks super hard man.

He's been betrayed by his wife, watched his children die (maybe?), been backstabbed by people he put his trust in (like Leo and many more), got told he can't defeat Salem, went into drunken despair, made countless mistakes watching people die and putting people in danger.

And yet.....

He's still trying. After all that. It's a hopeful but sad part of the story that I was hoping at least one character would see a bit. Maybe Maria??

I understand having an angry immediate reaction. But these characters have had some time to think this over at least a bit. I think it would be terrible if they continue to push away someone who is a mistake-ridden ally and not a villain.

I can understand why Oz kept these things hidden. I'd be afraid too that people would lose hope or betray me if I told them I had no plan to stop an immortal destructive being (which RWBY kinda proves that he was right to worry with how they take it).

But it's not like Salem is all Oz focuses on. He has been clearly trying to help the 4 kingdoms become more stable and protect the relics so they can't be used to bring judgment until humanity is at peace/ready. Hunters and huntresses still protect people from a threat older than Salem, the Grimm. These are not useless, hopeless missions that Oz has put time and effort into. RWBY should realize this.

I think Qrow's despair is more justified given what he's been through so I really want to see them converse. But I've written way too much about this now so sorry. ><

Oct 25, 2017
The raising the weapon thing felt unnecessarily harsh when I think Qrow was just trying to deflate the anger. I mean, it's not like Qrow was going to attack Ruby or anyone. Telling him with weapons to "back off" when he has a right to join the conversation too, it was disappointing to see the girls display that reaction to Qrow, even if he was loyal to Oz at the time. Yang should know better even if she is easy to anger.

That's a good point about Qrow not being ready and they have shown that. I just want Ruby to be more honest with him and push the issue I guess, she must be frustrated with him. I hope that small moment we got in the last episode wasn't all we get and Qrow suddenly conveniently pulls a 180. That would be too easy.

"Feeling bad for Ozma" was definitely not the message of the story. But even though they are teenagers, I'm almost amazed at how hopelessly they reacted to the story and how they almost view Oz as a "villain" type now. I think the bits about the Gods and everything are just as important as the final bits about Salem.

But watching the story of a guy brought back from death to stop the woman he loved and save humanity from judgment, while being cursed to reincarnate and forcibly take over the life of a random soul........that sucks super hard man.

He's been betrayed by his wife, watched his children die (maybe?), been backstabbed by people he put his trust in (like Leo and many more), got told he can't defeat Salem, went into drunken despair, made countless mistakes watching people die and putting people in danger.

And yet.....

He's still trying. After all that. It's a hopeful but sad part of the story that I was hoping at least one character would see a bit. Maybe Maria??

I understand having an angry immediate reaction. But these characters have had some time to think this over at least a bit. I think it would be terrible if they continue to push away someone who is a mistake-ridden ally and not a villain.

I can understand why Oz kept these things hidden. I'd be afraid too that people would lose hope or betray me if I told them I had no plan to stop an immortal destructive being (which RWBY kinda proves that he was right to worry with how they take it).

But it's not like Salem is all Oz focuses on. He has been clearly trying to help the 4 kingdoms become more stable and protect the relics so they can't be used to bring judgment until humanity is at peace/ready. Hunters and huntresses still protect people from a threat older than Salem, the Grimm. These are not useless, hopeless missions that Oz has put time and effort into. RWBY should realize this.

I think Qrow's despair is more justified given what he's been through so I really want to see them converse. But I've written way too much about this now so sorry. ><

I think their anger isn't because they have cast Ozpin as a villain. I don't think any of the characters consider him as such. But he is a character who has constantly mislead them. That's where all their frustration is coming from. He has crippling trust issues, which makes me wonder if there are any more characters this show will introduce who "betrayed Oz" in the past.

Ozpin is a morally grey character. He is doing things for good reasons, but his methods are incredibly questionable and arguably harmful to people around him.

I think the whole issue of RWBY vs Ozpin is a better execution of the concept of the Holdo vs Poe storyline in The Last Jedi. Both Holdo and Ozpin are withholding information from other people, but Holdo's reasoning for doing so makes no sense. Ozpin however has a better reasoning for hiding his motivations and plans, however Team RWBY learns he has no plan.

I understand why people in the audience have sympathy for Ozpin, I do as well. But for Team RWBY their goal is whats important, and that is why they react so strongly to the fact they can't beat Salem.

And honestly I feel sympathy for Salem as well. Because think about it like this. Salem got cursed and the entire world was wiped out because she tried to bring Ozma back. She struggled with grief as Ozma was probably the first person who showed her real love, and he was taken unjustly by an illness. It's a really ironic death considering how Ozma was considered a great warrior.

So after trying to reunite with him after so long and being unable to do so, through desperate suicide attempts becomes the being she is now. And when Ozma returns to her, things seem fine for them. But Ozma is taken aback by Salem's violent methods which seemingly happened because she jumped into the grimm pool (Jinn describes her as an immortal now with the desire for destruction) but even then she still prioritizes Ozma over everything else.

And Ozma chooses to side with the god who cursed her, and drove her into becoming what she is now simply because she went to his brother after he said no, and didn't mention it.

But that doesn't excuse Salem for what she has been doing.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I think their anger isn't because they have cast Ozpin as a villain. I don't think any of the characters consider him as such. But he is a character who has constantly mislead them. That's where all their frustration is coming from. He has crippling trust issues, which makes me wonder if there are any more characters this show will introduce who "betrayed Oz" in the past.

Ozpin is a morally grey character. He is doing things for good reasons, but his methods are incredibly questionable and arguably harmful to people around him.

I think the whole issue of RWBY vs Ozpin is a better execution of the concept of the Holdo vs Poe storyline in The Last Jedi. Both Holdo and Ozpin are withholding information from other people, but Holdo's reasoning for doing so makes no sense. Ozpin however has a better reasoning for hiding his motivations and plans, however Team RWBY learns he has no plan.

I understand why people in the audience have sympathy for Ozpin, I do as well. But for Team RWBY their goal is whats important, and that is why they react so strongly to the fact they can't beat Salem.

And honestly I feel sympathy for Salem as well. Because think about it like this. Salem got cursed and the entire world was wiped out because she tried to bring Ozma back. She struggled with grief as Ozma was probably the first person who showed her real love, and he was taken unjustly by an illness. It's a really ironic death considering how Ozma was considered a great warrior.

So after trying to reunite with him after so long and being unable to do so, through desperate suicide attempts becomes the being she is now. And when Ozma returns to her, things seem fine for them. But Ozma is taken aback by Salem's violent methods which seemingly happened because she jumped into the grimm pool (Jinn describes her as an immortal now with the desire for destruction) but even then she still prioritizes Ozma over everything else.

And Ozma chooses to side with the god who cursed her, and drove her into becoming what she is now simply because she went to his brother after he said no, and didn't mention it.

But that doesn't excuse Salem for what she has been doing.

Yang herself has mislead the team regarding the Spring Maiden, though no one knows it. Everybody has secrets and can withhold info that puts people in danger. Like Oz stupidly not telling them the relic attracts Grimm or Ironwood not telling Oz about Penny. I want the team to be more understanding I guess but that might be beyond them, given that their scope of view is narrow. I'm pretty sure Oz has told people he trusted these things in the past and been met with similar reactions. It doesn't make his secrets right and he should definitely be called out when he misleads the team but it gives us a reason why he is so afraid. If V5 did anything right, it was showing us Leo's betrayal. I wonder how many have walked away from Oz after learning the stakes. My hope is that the team has a less angry talk with Oz soon that is nuanced and thoughtful.

And I think the whole "has no plan" thing is deceptive. Oz obviously set up a stalemate situation, maybe until he thinks of a solution to Salem but he's not a perfect hero who always knows what to do so even though he's made some terrible mistakes, I don't want to condemn him for still trying.

Plus there's the wording of his question and her answer, "You can't." He can't kill/stop her but perhaps if the question was worded, "How can Salem be stopped?" the answer would be different.

The story presents another solution straight from the brother gods. "You must learn the importance of life and death. Only then may you rest."

I suspect this is important but nobody in the show has realized it because they focused on the last 5 seconds of the story? I get that it's probably going to be really hard for Salem to realize the importance of life and death but it is one possible way to bring her end, all is not as hopeless as it seems?

I feel Salem's punishment was cruel and over the top too but Ozma choosing to side with the Gods was, for him, out of necessity. They told him they'd come back for a 2nd judgment so I assume Ozma didn't want to risk humanity getting wiped again as opposed to attempting to overthrow them with his wife.

But well, Salem definitely didn't take it well when Ozma spilled the beans.

(I hope no one is too bothered by this long discussion btw, it's fun to talk about so I guess I can say the Oz backstory is another reason I like V6 but also why I'm disappointed because I thought the charas would discuss it more in the show lol)

Oct 25, 2017
Yang herself has mislead the team regarding the Spring Maiden, though no one knows it. Everybody has secrets and can withhold info that puts people in danger. Like Oz stupidly not telling them the relic attracts Grimm or Ironwood not telling Oz about Penny. I want the team to be more understanding I guess but that might be beyond them, given that their scope of view is narrow. I'm pretty sure Oz has told people he trusted these things in the past and been met with similar reactions. It doesn't make his secrets right and he should definitely be called out when he misleads the team but it gives us a reason why he is so afraid. If V5 did anything right, it was showing us Leo's betrayal. I wonder how many have walked away from Oz after learning the stakes. My hope is that the team has a less angry talk with Oz soon that is nuanced and thoughtful.

And I think the whole "has no plan" thing is deceptive. Oz obviously set up a stalemate situation, maybe until he thinks of a solution to Salem but he's not a perfect hero who always knows what to do so even though he's made some terrible mistakes, I don't want to condemn him for still trying.

Plus there's the wording of his question and her answer, "You can't." He can't kill/stop her but perhaps if the question was worded, "How can Salem be stopped?" the answer would be different.

The story presents another solution straight from the brother gods. "You must learn the importance of life and death. Only then may you rest."

I suspect this is important but nobody in the show has realized it because they focused on the last 5 seconds of the story? I get that it's probably going to be really hard for Salem to realize the importance of life and death but it is one possible way to bring her end, all is not as hopeless as it seems?

I feel Salem's punishment was cruel and over the top too but Ozma choosing to side with the Gods was, for him, out of necessity. They told him they'd come back for a 2nd judgment so I assume Ozma didn't want to risk humanity getting wiped again as opposed to attempting to overthrow them with his wife.

But well, Salem definitely didn't take it well when Ozma spilled the beans.

(I hope no one is too bothered by this long discussion btw, it's fun to talk about so I guess I can say the Oz backstory is another reason I like V6 but also why I'm disappointed because I thought the charas would discuss it more in the show lol)

I feel the team can be understanding. Look at how they all came together despite Ozpin not being there. I think thats the biggest issue. Sure, they had a knee jerk reaction upon learning the truth, but if you look at Team RWBY they've simmered down because they had a few days to think it over. They are still trying to do the last thing Ozpin told them to do which is take the relic to Atlas.

Problem is Ozpin locked himself away. They can't get Ozpin trying to explain it anymore (unless the theory that Ozpin and Oscar merged off screen when Oscar ran away is true)

And I think the reason Ozpin gets more scrutiny is because he is their acting leader. Him not keeping the others in the know is hurting them because he has to be the leader, but he keeps making decisions based on information he won't share nor give to others. It is putting people in harms way, like the train.

Yang on the other hand is lying to protect Raven. Raven wants nothing to do with Salem and Ozpin, so Yang keeps her out of it. Yang is lying to protect someone.

As for the answers Jinn gave, who knows. I think it would be way to simple if it was simple wordplay of Jinn going "oh Ozma can't beat Salem but someone else can" especially since there is no reason for her to lie. They might have to try and redeem Salem, but that is seemingly impossible.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The first half of volume 3 is pretty terrible and is a poster child for how not to do a tournament arc

1) establish a series based upon fighting and working as a team, set up a tournament that arbitrarily reduces a teams roster each round for no reason

2) set up zero stakes for anyone involved in the tournament at all so there is no tension if they win or lose a match

3) waste two seasons where you could potentially hype up several rivals for a tournament, forced to add exposition before most fights to try and create some kind of rivalry

Seriously nothing bad will happen to team RWBY or JNPR if they don't win the tournament. They're not trying to prove themselves to go on missions above their grade (v2 already let that happen), they're not at risk for getting expelled, they're not trying to win prize money or land an internship.

Then you have characters who've had screen time in s1/2 who don't fight in the tournament or we don't focus on (like jean's bullies), the team coco and co are on showed up with no fan fare at the end of v2 and then have to job to mercury and emerald, penny introduces only 1 of her teammates who is never seen again, and even sun's team doesn't introduce the other two members. Fuck who the hell was the 4th on team Cinder? Did Monty/RT not have a half baked minor villain he could have thrown on the bad guys team to have a 4 person match?

Also I always felt it was bizarre how Mercury is sent into hiding, then just shows up the next day to wait for Cinder's declaration of war and doesn't even try to hide from Ruby after being told last episode to hang low. Or how bunny girl introduces her ability to copy any weapon style with her camera, but for no reason doesn't get to fight in any round of the tournament or iirc the end of v2 so she can solo a robot and not be seen again.

Rwby as a series is pretty flawed, but the soft reboot the series did in volume 4 was probably the best decision they could have done. It was kind of shocking to have a volume of rwby where every character actually had an arc and got to grow as opposed to just development being mostly focused on weiss in v1 and blake in the end of v1 and start of v2.

And while I'm ranting, as much as I enjoy volume 6 I'm gonna blow a gasket if I need to hear Ruby give Qrow a "trust us were a team blah blah blah" 'when did you grow up speech' another time. Seriously they did it like two episodes in a row stop it.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
The first half of volume 3 is pretty terrible and is a poster child for how not to do a tournament arc

1) establish a series based upon fighting and working as a team, set up a tournament that arbitrarily reduces a teams roster each round for no reason

2) set up zero stakes for anyone involved in the tournament at all so there is no tension if they win or lose a match

3) waste two seasons where you could potentially hype up several rivals for a tournament, forced to add exposition before most fights to try and create some kind of rivalry

Seriously nothing bad will happen to team RWBY or JNPR if they don't win the tournament. They're not trying to prove themselves to go on missions above their grade (v2 already let that happen), they're not at risk for getting expelled, they're not trying to win prize money or land an internship.

Then you have characters who've had screen time in s1/2 who don't fight in the tournament or we don't focus on (like jean's bullies), the team coco and co are on showed up with no fan fare at the end of v2 and then have to job to mercury and emerald, penny introduces only 1 of her teammates who is never seen again, and even sun's team doesn't introduce the other two members. Fuck who the hell was the 4th on team Cinder? Did Monty/RT not have a half baked minor villain he could have thrown on the bad guys team to have a 4 person match?

Also I always felt it was bizarre how Mercury is sent into hiding, then just shows up the next day to wait for Cinder's declaration of war and doesn't even try to hide from Ruby after being told last episode to hang low. Or how bunny girl introduces her ability to copy any weapon style with her camera, but for no reason doesn't get to fight in any round of the tournament or iirc the end of v2 so she can solo a robot and not be seen again.

Rwby as a series is pretty flawed, but the soft reboot the series did in volume 4 was probably the best decision they could have done. It was kind of shocking to have a volume of rwby where every character actually had an arc and got to grow as opposed to just development being mostly focused on weiss in v1 and blake in the end of v1 and start of v2.

And while I'm ranting, as much as I enjoy volume 6 I'm gonna blow a gasket if I need to hear Ruby give Qrow a "trust us were a team blah blah blah" 'when did you grow up speech' another time. Seriously they did it like two episodes in a row stop it.

4th member of Cinder's team was Neo in disguise. They showed us that.