• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they're leaving YouTube to set up their own site you have to subscribe to.

View: https://youtu.be/g-ohi1iYP5k?si=AVzjDHkWpSG9CcBT

I wish them all the best, but as almost literally every comment on the video is saying, introducing another subscription service in this day and age seems like a terrible idea. I'd get it if they want to put some exclusive stuff behind a Patreon or something, which plenty of Youtubers do, but this seems like a step too far imo.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Dang. I haven't really watched any of these or the ghost videos (I usually binge a ton of them during Halloween time on walks to get in the mood).

There's no way in hell I'd pay a subscription for these. There's a million true crime/weird stories/ghost hunting videos on youtube. Haha.

EDIT: They are locking all their past videos behind the paywall too? Uhh. Good luck I guess. How are you going to attract new subscibers.

Last edited:

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Streaming is such a curse on media. Puppet History is one of the best shows on YouTube and now it'll just be gone.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like an incredibly bad idea that's probably going to have the complete opposite effect from what they're hoping.
If their content is too expensive to make then cutting costs seems like a much smarter option than potentially tanking the entire company on the hopes that people will pay for the content.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Seems like they're leaving YouTube to set up their own site you have to subscribe to.

View: https://youtu.be/g-ohi1iYP5k?si=AVzjDHkWpSG9CcBT

This is such a terrible idea. They should've just done what Kinda Funny does and introduce a monthly channel membership with some benefits (livestreams, daily content) to get more income. Just like every single person in the comments section is saying, respectfully, we will not be moving to this streaming platform for their content no matter how much we love them.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I mean

I already subscribed to Dropout for almost the exact same experience

I think it would be worth it to me for the content they offer

Dropout is $5 a month/60 a year as is, this is 42 a year right now

honestly I can kinda see the appeal

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait for Mystery Files and Ghost Files to be completed on their seasons and sign up for one month and binge. I don't see this working long term, but I wish them the best. It seems like Ryan and Shane are really passionate for their new company.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I already have way too many streaming services, and mostly just because I got some crazy deals on them. It'll probably be cut down even more when those promotions expire. I'm not adding another $6/mo to that. I'm really curious how this business model will work for them. Seems like a bad move, but maybe they have enough people who will subscribe to survive?

I mostly just watch Ghost Files and Mystery Files.. most of the other content isn't something that I go to them for, so definitely not worth it to me. Maybe like BFIB said, subscribe once in a while for a month and binge, but they'll probably fall off of my radar since they won't have a YouTube presence any longer.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
They'll back track on this so hard.
They're gonna have to issue an immediate response because the response is incredibly negative. From the comments section to their subreddit, everyone is unified in not wanting to support this because they're willing to sit through ads if they have to for their content. I haven't even looked at their Twitter comments lol

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's a terrible decision. I watch Ghost Files and Puppet History sometimes. Not often enough to justify paying for it.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
I just subscribed to this channel a month ago and caught up on Mystery Files and Puppet History. Enjoyed what I watched, but not enough to subscribe to a separate streaming service dedicated to their content.

Best of luck to them.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
They're gonna have to issue an immediate response because the response is incredibly negative. From the comments section to their subreddit, everyone is unified in not wanting to support this because they're willing to sit through ads if they have to for their content. I haven't even looked at their Twitter comments lol
They have just as many quoted tweets as they do likes and that's NEVER a good sign.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I guess im the odd one out
I don't think you're entirely the odd one out, people are willing to support a company like Watcher because of their content and how passionate they are with communicating with their community but like, alienating 95% if not more of your community for more income because you're struggling isn't a great move. They should've done stuff like Kinda Funny's monthly stream marathon with goals and shit to get fundraising for example. Or even selling limited time merch for a month to raise as much as possible every other month. There were better options than going this route without even testing the interest of the community. And it sucks because every comment reads the same "I love Watcher but no thanks"

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you're entirely the odd one out, people are willing to support a company like Watcher because of their content and how passionate they are with communicating with their community but like, alienating 95% if not more of your community for more income because you're struggling isn't a great move. They should've done stuff like Kinda Funny's monthly stream marathon with goals and shit to get fundraising for example. Or even selling limited time merch for a month to raise as much as possible every other month. There were better options than going this route without even testing the interest of the community. And it sucks because every comment reads the same "I love Watcher but no thanks"
And that "more income" is probably going to be significantly less income, making this a baffling unforced error.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I simply think about it the same way I think about Dropout

I don't like every show on Dropout, but I would and will always support it for the shows I do love

I pay $5 a month and sometimes I get BREAKING NEWS and I don't care, but then I get GAME CHANGER sometime, and it's all good, it's all going towards what I like in the end so I pay out monthly

I guess that's not what the setup is for fans yet, I dunno

guess im just saying id pay 5 bucks a month for the shows I like on Watcher

CrackaFett

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Man I remember bingeing their stuff years ago on BuzzFeed then followed them to the watcher. I won't be paying unfortunately.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Cultivating a huge audience on one platform when it was beneficial to release it for free*, then banking on the hope that a small portion of that audience will spend enough to sustain you financially on a much more limited platform is a fairly cynical move.

I understand the idea, and I don't think they're terrible people for doing this, but I truly don't understand how they'd have near enough content to make it worthwhile for the average consumer. It feels like they're putting a lot of faith in their diehard fans to keep them going. Dropout has been successful but so many others have failed. This is so risky and if it flops, it will take a ton of work to gain back the trust lost here.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I guess ill go to bed for know and see how his all shakes out :/

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
I would probably subscribe, but I don't think too many else would. Seems like a bad idea.

Partnering with an existing service like Shudder or something, sure. But I just don't see that many people supporting an exclusive Watcher service. Really feels like cutting costs and increasing promotional content is the safer bet.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I do feel like they coulda eased into it at least

like have the shows on YouTube, but offer more content on the channel, or offer the episodes early

but to be fair, I seen a lot of programs like that through the years and they all failed, I was the only one paying $3 a month to see Super Best Friends let's plays early

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
And that "more income" is probably going to be significantly less income, making this a baffling unforced error.

Like Fat4all has said, they're hoping for the Dropout strategy. They lost the majority of their audience by creating a subscription service, but that was offset by a steady flow of income by those who did subscribe. And they have significantly more people to pay than Watch does given all of the shows. They have to do be doing extremely well given how much they're able to put out.

It seems like either this will work out for them or they'll need to scale back the shows they make in order to move back to Youtube.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
the only other comparison I wanna make with Dropout is

I can subscribe to Dropout through YouTube, so I can watch all their premium content on YouTube

id honestly consider subscribing if Watcher does the same, where I can sub through YouTube and watch anywhere I can sign in to YouTube

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
yeah i love Watcher but i can't simply afford it right now.

won't be joining them in this.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Some of these reddit and youtube comments are quite melodramatic. "These guys were my best friends and helped me when I was depressed. This is a betrayal. I'm going to pirate these now." If you liked them that much, why wouldn't you want to support them? This is their livelihood. They aren't making content to make you feel better. Lol. It's probably either this or they dramatically cut content/close their channel permanently.

It must be heartcrushing to be a Watcher employee and see some of these reactions. You pour your heart and soul into editing, writing, directing and starring in these videos for years and most of your audience says all that isn't worth $5 a month. Like this is their job.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Oh man, what a shame. Granted, their content is not really my cup of tea (I only watch their theme park podcast), but I really enjoy that podcast, and I am assuming they are putting their podcast content behind the paywall as well.

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London
What a horrible decision. I like Puppet History, but I'm not swinging $5 a month for it.
That's where I'm at. I a big fan of Puppet History and Ghost Files (even if it's losing most of its appeal with the recent seasons). Everything else from them I usually skip.

That's not enough content for me to justify the $5/month, even if I can afford it.

As others have suggested, I might wait for them to release the full seasons and subscribe for a month, but as is I feel like this is way overpriced.

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
Patreon is still going to be a thing, but it's centered on their podcast, merch discounts and live event presales.

This is big time risky for them, especially given they have a lot of momentum already. Ghost Files is going international and live showings are taking off. I wish them well. Independent creators are in such a tough spot. We all want them to thrive independently, but we also want them to stay attached to giant corporations for ease of access. I don't know what the right answer is.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
edit: Hey all! Seeing a lot of folks saying that we're pulling all of our content off YouTube. To clarify, all of the content on our YouTube channel will continue to live here forever. For new seasons, the first episodes will be released on YouTube will the remaining coming out exclusively on the Watcher platform.

Watcher added this to their pinned comment. At least they aren't pulling everything that's already out there.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I do wish they woulda rolled this out a bit slower

im 100% behind paying them for content, but it's clear that it's not such an easy sell for most

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London
Patreon is up, but it's centered on their podcast, merch discounts and live event presales.

This is big time risky for them, especially given they have a lot of momentum already. Ghost Files is going international and live showings are taking off. I wish them well. Independent creators are in such a tough spot be. We all want them to thrive independently, but we also want them to stay attached to giant corporations for ease of access. I don't know what the right answer is.
I definitely agree. The current state of affairs for video creators seems quite awful, and I get that they have the right to try to and find better conditions to work under.

I'm not going to subscribe to their service because I'm just not that big a fan of their library of content. I don't think this subscription is aimed at people like me, but hopefully there's enough fans that this will work out for them in the end. I genuinely wish them all the best.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just do a YouTube Membership with exclusive videos...

Yeah, Google will get a cut, but the audience is already there.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
just found these guys

oh well I am still working my way through last Podcast on the left