• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sambumbia-PR

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
This amazing CPU runs too hot even with a good cooler. To my surprise doing an undervolt gave me better Cinebench 23 scores while running -12° cooler. Going to google and youtube searching for tutorials is kind of scattershot so I wanted to post the amalgamation of info found on how I made my CPU cooler and stable. Im no expert and all credit goes to the smarter individuals who kindly gave their time for these tutorials. I always welcome suggestions on how I can improve this undervolt method.

[Updated 12/04/22] Threadmarks added
[Updated 12/06/22] Changed CPPC Cores to Enabled

[This is focused on gaming]

Things to Download:

OCBASE for Stress and Stability test
Cinebench 23 for benchmark and stress. My score is 15013 multicore for reference.
PBO2 Tuner- Shown as Debug-cli.7z
HWinfo Portable for monitoring sensors like temps and power draws.

Bios Prep [On MSI press the DEL key when powering up]

Im using a MSI B550 Tomahawk and a $40 cooler with the latest BIOS. So, google your corresponding motherboard and get that latest BIOS.

Every motherboard should have these settings, they just have them in different places in your BIOS menu. Remember that if you do not see an option, there should be an Advanced mode and a OC Explore mode you can toggle to make those options appear:

1) XMP- Quite possibly the most important setting for a Ryzen CPU. Activate it and use that RAM to its better potential.

2) FLCK- Make sure half your XMP's Ram speed is chosen. In my case my XMP is 3200, so my FLCK is 1600. If found out recently that if I set my FLCK this way, the Infinity Fabric setting also changes to 1600, which is what we want.

index.php

3) CPU Voltage Offset (-): 0.05

This is a NEGATIVE voltage offset. Kept temps down for me, for others did nothing. This is located when you scroll down on that OC page pictured above. Click Auto on the CPU Offset Voltage (-) section and write 0.05:

1iedhmosyi791.png

4) Global C-State Control: Enabled
CPPC Enabled.
CPPC Cores Disabled.

1627471371872.png

5) Enable Rebar and Above 4G

resizable-bar-20210419-7.jpg

Remember to save those BIOS settings. Come back here if you update the bios since it will delete your saves and return everything back to Default Values.

Lets truly undervolt the 5800x3D:

Easiest Method: Kombo Strike 3- Just go to your overclocking options in BIOS and choose Kombo Strike: 3. Its basically an undervolt with a -30 Core Curve. If youre stable, youre done.

kombo-strike-bios-02.jpg

Dont have Kombo Strike 3 or its too unstable? There is Another Method: PBO2 Tuner

Download it: PBO2 Tuner- Shown as Debug-cli.7z. Change the folder name to PBO2 Tuner. Cut and paste the folder to your Program Files (x86) on your Drive.

Github with the instructions. Thanks to Prime07 and Tullo-x86.

github.com

How-to-undervolt-AMD-RYZEN-5800X3D-Guide-with-PBO2-Tuner/README.md at main · PrimeO7/How-to-undervolt-AMD-RYZEN-5800X3D-Guide-with-PBO2-Tuner

Get the Most out of your 5800X3D using PBO Curve Optimizer! - PrimeO7/How-to-undervolt-AMD-RYZEN-5800X3D-Guide-with-PBO2-Tuner

Instruction 5 is the one I use. I do not use the Burnt toast notifications part of the instructions on the Github. Just use the main PBO2.exe now (not the shortcut we will be creating next). You can try a curve of -10, -15, -20, -25 or go to the max of -30. Input your Curve value and hit apply.

pbo2-tuner-1.png

Run the OCBase after every apply for a stability test. If the PC crashes, do not worry. Just hold the PC power button for a couple of seconds to shut it off and then power it up and try again with a lesser value.

Unfortunately, these changes do not stay after reboot. WE NEED to make sure PBO2 Tuner applies its settings every time we logon to our PC.

An easier alternative to the Task Scheduler in the Github tutorial is to just create a PBO2.exe shortcut. Cut/paste that shortcut to your startup folder. Should be located in:

(Your OS Main Drive letter):\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
[you can copy paste this to your address bar]

Right click the shortcut and input your those Curve Cores values in theShortcut tab's Target: section. To make the changes permanent after every Reboot we need to change the Shortcut's properties by adding your core curve 8 times in the Target section like so: [SPACE] -20 -20 -20 -20-20 -20-20 -20

An example: the Target: should look like

"C:\Program Files (x86)\PBO2 Tuner for 5800X3D\PBO2 tuner.exe" -20 -20 -20 -20 -20 -20 -20 -20​

pbo2-tuner-2.png

If its not saving after reboot, try opening the shortcut on the startup folder, input the curve values in the Curve tab again and applying your curve there.

Heres a youtube vid with this part of the tutorial. Give a like or subscribe to FR33THY if you found this to be useful.

View: https://youtu.be/ss-wft1iVjA?t=228

Test with OCBASE. Bench with Cinebench 23. Play some games. I recommend Destiny 2 or Warzone since they are so delicate to these manual changes.

If the shortcut method dosent work, use the Task Scheduler method (Instruction 6 on the github):
(thanks Mifec)

github.com

How-to-undervolt-AMD-RYZEN-5800X3D-Guide-with-PBO2-Tuner/README.md at main · PrimeO7/How-to-undervolt-AMD-RYZEN-5800X3D-Guide-with-PBO2-Tuner

Get the Most out of your 5800X3D using PBO Curve Optimizer! - PrimeO7/How-to-undervolt-AMD-RYZEN-5800X3D-Guide-with-PBO2-Tuner

You are done with Undervolting. Want to go even further beyond?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sambumbia-PR

Sambumbia-PR

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Lets Change those Power Limits for even better temps at a minimal cost to performance
So PBO2 Tuner has a limit tab. Its basically a manual ECO mode we can apply. Problem is that we need Task Scheduler to apply these limits every time we reboot since the Tuner resets every time.

1) You need to have a password on your Windows login. I personally dont like it and i ONLY tested this method by inputing a password. (Not a PIN or Biometric feature). So go to your Windows Settings and input one. Make sure remember, write it down or make it really easy.

password.png

2) So we should go to Instruction 6 on that Github Tutorial page I linked earlier so we can make that Task

github.com

Only difference its that after some testing, I just added these Power Limit Values from this Reddit thread from user Draco25240. I was skeptical, but
these were the best values I tested:

120 PPT
75 TDC
110 EDC

So we change this part of the Action tab of the Github tutorial:

Edit-Action.png

Notice that I added the limit values to the core curves followed by a 0. This 0 is the Default max Frequency as answered by anibalpedraza on the Github page.

So, for example, that should be Add Arguments (Optional): -30 -30 -30 -30 -30 -30 -30 -30 120 75 105 0

Congrats, your 5800x3D is efficient as fuck. But still, maybe

You DO NOT want to input your password every time you logon
I know, I know. but some people just shutdown their PC's everyday, dont care for privacy and cant be bothered to input a password. But we need a password to make this Task. So, heres a method to circumvent this:

Tutorial on how to have a password without having to input it each time you log on to windows by Brink on ElevenForums (Tenforums should have a similar tutorial)

TLDR: This only works with a password, <NOT A PIN OR BIOMETRIC FEATURE>

Search in Windows or Win + R: netplwiz

Turn-on-automatic-sign-in-2.webp

Turn-on-automatic-sign-in-3.webp

Youre a responsible person. i know you will remember this simple (for you) password, write it down, email it to yourself or make a text document upload to your cloud of choice.

Note: I use Kombo Strike 3 with the PBO2 Tuner task scheduler method for the power limits. Kombo strike 3 automatically inputs a -30 on all Core Curves on the PBO2 tuner.

And thats it. Seems like a lot, but its simple and worth it. I hope this helps anyone that wants a more power efficient CPU with a minimal performance cost. If something needs to be changed or threadmarked feel free to let me know.

Last edited:

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Been doing this since I received it a month and a bit ago. CPU runs toasty no matter the cooler due to the layered cache, but this helps a lot. Very impressive CPU so far.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Does this work with the 6800U? I'm using a OneXPlayer mini which has a very specific hardware design and I'm not certain I want to mess with the default factory settings from OXP because the parts aren't replaceable....it's just a handheld PC with 6800U chipset.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Would this work with the 5800X? I keep tuning mine to try to get better temps because I have it in an ITX build.

Does this work with the 6800U? I'm using a OneXPlayer mini which has a very specific hardware design and I'm not certain I want to mess with the default factory settings from OXP because the parts aren't replaceable....it's just a handheld PC with 6800U chipset.

I think the idea is that the 5800X3D is comprised of binned cores due to the voltage conscious design (mandated by the cache), meaning they can hit full frequency with lower voltage than stock. Other Zen 3 CPUs can do this as well, but you'll need to find a stable offset per-core and it'll take more time and be generally less impactful, based on lottery.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Was thinking about upgrading to one from a 3600. Figured I'd just save up for a GPU instead, and wait for the AM5 mobo price drops along with the x3d chips for that.

Outstanding value with the 5800x3d though.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Literally just picked my 5800X3D up from the mailbox, will take a look at this after I install it tomorrow.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
Was thinking about upgrading to one from a 3600. Figured I'd just save up for a GPU instead, and wait for the AM5 mobo price drops along with the x3d chips for that.

Outstanding value with the 5800x3d though.
Was having that same debate myself with my 3700x. I just realized they actually did add BIOS support for my B450 motherboard to handle these 5000 series chips so I could actually just swap it out without having to replace anything else. Feels like I'm seeing mixed messages about whether a 5900x or a 5800x3d would be the better swan song CPU to keep things going long term. I'm already on a 3080 GPU, so I feel like I'm going to be good there for a while.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Was having that same debate myself with my 3700x. I just realized they actually did add BIOS support for my B450 motherboard to handle these 5000 series chips so I could actually just swap it out without having to replace anything else. Feels like I'm seeing mixed messages about whether a 5900x or a 5800x3d would be the better swan song CPU to keep things going long term. I'm already on a 3080 GPU, so I feel like I'm going to be good there for a while.
I think it boils down to what you're going to be doing, and games you're playing. I had to check too, because I wasn't exactly sure if I'd benefit from the 3d cache as well lol, or doing stuff that would fit the 5900 over the 800x3d.

Still using a 1070. But tbh, I haven't been playing enough PC games to justify the upgrade. I blame xbox gamepass.

OP
OP
Sambumbia-PR

Sambumbia-PR

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Would this work with the 5800X? I keep tuning mine to try to get better temps because I have it in an ITX build.
The Bios prep should apply to all Ryzen CPUs. As for undervolting, Its easier with the 5800x in the Bios. Just change Precision Boost Overdrive part to manual and input custom PPT, TDC and EDC values.

MSI-Curve-Optimizer-5900X-B450-Tomahawk-hero.jpg

Presision Boost Overdrive: Advanced
PBO limits: Manual
PPT: 95W
TDC: 60A
EDC: 90A
Curve optimiser: -10 or -20 all core

You could also try:

PPT: 110W
TDC: 90A
EDC: 100A
Curve optimiser: -10 all core

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for the guide, super helpful. I'm about to buy. I also have the same mobo.

Any opinions on whether a Corsair H100i Platinum SE AIO (240mm) is enough to cool this beast? With these tweaks set also, of course.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the guide, super helpful. I'm about to buy. I also have the same mobo.

Any opinions on whether a Corsair H100i Platinum SE AIO (240mm) is enough to cool this beast? With these tweaks set also, of course.
I have the non platinum version and it works like a charm. You'll be fine.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
I think it boils down to what you're going to be doing, and games you're playing. I had to check too, because I wasn't exactly sure if I'd benefit from the 3d cache as well lol, or doing stuff that would fit the 5900 over the 800x3d.

Still using a 1070. But tbh, I haven't been playing enough PC games to justify the upgrade. I blame xbox gamepass.
Well, I pulled the trigger on the 5800X3D after looking at some more benchmarks/reviews. Did seem like a pretty significant upgrade over the 3000 series chips and without having to invest in anything else I figure it's a good enough excuse to tinker with my PC which I haven't done in a couple years. I was definitely finding myself drifting from the PC when the new consoles launched, but I've been coming back to it more and more lately.

rybrad

Oct 25, 2017
I looked at doing this earlier when I got my CPU and saw some people warning about clock stretching even when the undervolt seems stable. I tried monitoring it with HWInfo but couldn't noitce it. Is there an easy way to test for clock stretching to ensure everything is solid or is it as simple as if Cinebench score doesn't degrade then it's fine?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand. The Gaming Nexus video linked in the OP says Kombo Strike 3 had a negligible performance improvement and a minor INCREASE in temperature and power consumption in all the games they tested. I see there are some other things being modified, though not all of them will need changing (for example, a bunch of people may have already activated resizable BAR and the above 4G settings because of the recent Nvidia drivers showing gains in CPU-limited scenarios). So what's the actual special sauce here?

OP
OP
Sambumbia-PR

Sambumbia-PR

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
I don't really understand. The Gaming Nexus video linked in the OP says Kombo Strike 3 had a negligible performance improvement and a minor INCREASE in temperature and power consumption in all the games they tested. I see there are some other things being modified, though not all of them will need changing (for example, a bunch of people may have already activated resizable BAR and the above 4G settings because of the recent Nvidia drivers showing gains in CPU-limited scenarios). So what's the actual special sauce here?
Bios updates and the negative CPU Offset Voltage.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Bios updates and the negative CPU Offset Voltage.

How do either of those things lead to BETTER performance, though? BIOS updates are pretty nebulous and seem to only apply to select MSI boards if we're talking Kombo Strike specifically. Not sure how lowering CPU voltage improves performance at all.

Also, if it's the CPU offset voltage that's responsible for the power/heat improvements, wouldn't it be better to just do that and avoid Kombo Strike 3, given the results in the Gaming Nexus video?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, because I've seen Reddit posts backing up your claims; it's just that none of them explain what the deal is with the improvements and I like to understand how each bit affects the whole.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I would like to note that undervolting isn't just a free reduction in power while maintaining performance. It definitely increase system instability. It's why AMD and Intel are always more conservatives with their voltage settings out of the box. They would rather their CPUs consume more power and produce more heat than have crashing issues for the users. My experience with undervolting is that it heavily depends on the programs and games you are using. In some cases the undervolt is not an issue for over 97% of all the stuff you use. But there is always that one program that exhibits instability with undervolt.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
That PBO2 trick with adding the -20 in the command line of the shortcut properties isn't applying. Was going off by that video and doesn't seem to work after a reboot.

overthewaves

Sep 30, 2020
I undervolt mine through bios. Just matched the eco mode settings of the 5800x. Runs cool and doesn't go above above 90w.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Thank for the reply. What kind of temps are you getting while gaming?

Depends on the game. Spiderman mm ran kind of cool around 45-50, but something like modded Skyrim, the riftbreaker, or satisfactory, games that put a lot of strain on the CPU, can see it rose to mid 60s.

Good Undervolting explanation

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
How do either of those things lead to BETTER performance, though? BIOS updates are pretty nebulous and seem to only apply to select MSI boards if we're talking Kombo Strike specifically. Not sure how lowering CPU voltage improves performance at all.

Also, if it's the CPU offset voltage that's responsible for the power/heat improvements, wouldn't it be better to just do that and avoid Kombo Strike 3, given the results in the Gaming Nexus video?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, because I've seen Reddit posts backing up your claims; it's just that none of them explain what the deal is with the improvements and I like to understand how each bit affects the whole.

Modern GPU and CPU boost until a limit is reached; voltage, heat, or power. Most are limited by voltage, not by heat or power. There is a frequency curve that says "to hit this frequency use this voltage", but it is sometimes generous with the voltage to account for manufacturing variance. By undervolting with an offset you are telling the GPU or CPU to use less voltage at each performance step but try to attain the same frequency.

Voltage also is heat, lowering voltage also lowers heat.

Traditional overclocking isn't much different, it's just trying to push the frequency higher while staying within the voltage limit, rather than trying to maintain the base frequency with less voltage (functionally the same thing though).

The reason BIOS updates affect performance though is these voltage frequency curves and behaviours can be adjusted and fine-tuned within AMD's SMU.

Edit: In this specific case the 5800X3D has a low voltage limit, and load is not equal, the power pushed through the CPU is low when load is single-threaded, so voltage can be high. Single-threaded workloads will boost high. Multi-core demands much more power, which is bad when voltage is high, so the voltage limit is much lower in a multi-core load. The 5800X3D will not reach its peak frequency when in a multi-core load with the stock curve, but it can reach it or get much closer when undervolted. So in multi-core you can get better performance (from more consistently high frequency) and better temps (from lower voltage).

Not an expert, but this is my understanding of it!

Last edited:

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017
Depends on the game. Spiderman mm ran kind of cool around 45-50, but something like modded Skyrim, the riftbreaker, or satisfactory, games that put a lot of strain on the CPU, can see it rose to mid 60s.

Wow that seems pretty low/cool compared to other reports online!

I'm coming from a Ryzen 3600 so I'm used to a nice and quiet and cool setup. Was initially put off by the reports of heat but I think I'll go for it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Modern GPU and CPU boost until a limit is reached; voltage, heat, or power. There is a frequency curve that says "to hit this frequency use this voltage", but it is sometimes generous with the voltage to account for manufacturing variance. Most are limited by voltage, not by heat or power. By undervolting with an offset you are telling the GPU or CPU to use less voltage at each performance step but try to attain the same frequency.

Voltage also is heat, lowering voltage also lowers heat.

Traditional overclocking isn't much different, it's just trying to push the frequency higher while staying within the voltage limit, rather than trying to maintain the base frequency with less voltage (functionally the same thing though).

The reason BIOS updates affect performance though is these voltage frequency curves and behaviours can be adjusted and fine-tuned within AMD's SMU.

Edit: In this specific case the 5800X3D has a low voltage limit, and load is not equal, the power pushed through the CPU is low when load is single-threaded, so voltage can be high. Single-threaded workloads will boost high. Multi-core demands much more power, which is bad when voltage is high, so the voltage limit is much lower in a multi-core load. The 5800X3D will not reach its peak frequency when in a multi-core load with the stock curve, but it can reach it or get much closer when undervolted. So in multi-core you can get better performance (from more consistently high frequency) and better temps (from lower voltage).

Not an expert, but this is my understanding of it!

Ah, okay, I think that makes sense. That would explain why low 1% framerates seemed to improve quite a bit, I think? Thanks for the explainer!

OP
OP
Sambumbia-PR

Sambumbia-PR

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
That PBO2 trick with adding the -20 in the command line of the shortcut properties isn't applying. Was going off by that video and doesn't seem to work after a reboot.

If you made the PBO2.exe shortcut and cut/paste it in the startup folder it should work. You can check your startup programs by opening your task manager by right clicking your taskbar or CTRL + ALT + DEL, go to the startup apps section and check that PBO2 is enabled.

At first i made a mistake of not putting a space after the "address" part in the target section. Mine looked like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\PBO2 Tuner for 5800X3D\PBO2 tuner.exe" -20 -20 -20 -20 -20 -20 -20 -20

If that does not work, try the Task Scheduler part.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I just bought one of these to so thanks. Question though if I set the min power draw to 5% and max power to 98% in power plan does that work the same ?

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
The Bios prep should apply to all Ryzen CPUs. As for undervolting, Its easier with the 5800x in the Bios. Just change Precision Boost Overdrive part to manual and input custom PPT, TDC and EDC values.

MSI-Curve-Optimizer-5900X-B450-Tomahawk-hero.jpg

Presision Boost Overdrive: Advanced
PBO limits: Manual
PPT: 95W
TDC: 60A
EDC: 90A
Curve optimiser: -10 or -20 all core

You could also try:

PPT: 110W
TDC: 90A
EDC: 100A
Curve optimiser: -10 all core

Is any of that really necessary though? I've just been using AMD's Ryzen Master software for undervolting my 5800X with the "Balanced" Win 10 power plan and haven't touched any of those BIOS settings, other than enabling XMP of course. My temps are really good so I'm interested to know what I'm missing here.

OP
OP
Sambumbia-PR

Sambumbia-PR

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Is any of that really necessary though? I've just been using AMD's Ryzen Master software for undervolting my 5800X with the "Balanced" Win 10 power plan and haven't touched any of those BIOS settings, other than enabling XMP of course. My temps are really good so I'm interested to know what I'm missing here.

Ryzen Master is great, the Bios method is just another way to the same result. Alongside the Bios Prep settings I put in the OP, it gave me better temps and a negligible performance cost when gaming with on a 5800x. I dont think youre missing much. Feel free to test, you can always go back.

My way is just another and found going into bios easier. I use a custom "ultimate performance mode" in the Power Options. The only custom thing is that I changed the processor processor state minimum to 1%. Its another way of balancing things.

I just bought one of these to so thanks. Question though if I set the min power draw to 5% and max power to 98% in power plan does that work the same ?

Have not tested that. Sorry.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
2) FLCK- Make sure half your XMP's Ram speed is chosen. In my case my XMP is 3200, so my FLCK is 1600. If found out recently that if I set my FLCK this way, the Infinity Fabric setting also changes to 1600, which is what we want.
As I understood it, it's actually better to run the highest FCLK that you can, if your system is at 3200 MT/s or lower - since most Zen 3 CPUs should be able to use at least 1800 MHz, and that 200MHz+ clock advantage outweighs the benefit of 1:1 FCLK:MCLK.

Last edited:

sarquiss_

Nov 3, 2020
Are there any mirrors for PBO Tuner 2? Overclockers.net are having server issues. I was able to underclock my 5800x3D via the bios but would like to further optimize the CPU

EDIT: Here is a mirror in case anyone else needs one

EDIT #2: I've been trying to get the app to launch via Task Scheduler but no luck. The task just gets stuck at "running" even if I manually trigger it. I'm just trying to set the Power Limits

Last edited:

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
None of the other tutorials I've seen mention the CPU Voltage Offset (-): 0.05, is this required?

I've also seen some guides recommended CPPC to be on but CPPC Preferred Cores to be off.

Last edited:

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I should do something similar with my 5900x ? bought recently a 4000mhz ddr4 kit at 32giga, and i have a pretty good motherboard for oc ( the b550 aorus master )

OP
OP
Sambumbia-PR

Sambumbia-PR

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
As I understood it, it's actually better to run the highest FCLK that you can, if your system is at 3200 MT/s or lower - since the most Zen 3 CPUs should be able to use at least 1800 MHz, and that 200MHz+ clock advantage outweighs the benefit of 1:1 FCLK:MCLK.
Interesting. I will test that and report back when I have some time this week.

None of the other tutorials I've seen mention the CPU Voltage Offset (-): 0.05, is this required?

I've also seen some guides recommended CPPC to be on but CPPC Preferred Cores to be off.

I did it for my system since it dropped my temps while not having a performance difference. You could always set it to Auto.

Yeah, theres a lot of CPPC on vs off on the web. I chose to leave it off cause it helped me with 1% lows in games.

I should do something similar with my 5900x ? bought recently a 4000mhz ddr4 kit at 32giga, and i have a pretty good motherboard for oc ( the b550 aorus master )

Easiest way is to try the Bios prep in the OP and let Precision Boost on Auto. If you want to test further try the eco modes.

Last edited:

rybrad

Oct 25, 2017
Messed around with this for a bit this weekend and setting a -30 on all cores and adjusting the power limits puts me at 80° in Cinebench while stock settings in at 72°. Scored about 10% higher than stock but not sure the increased temps are worth it for me.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Messed around with this for a bit this weekend and setting a -30 on all cores and adjusting the power limits puts me at 80° in Cinebench while stock settings in at 72°. Scored about 10% higher than stock but not sure the increased temps are worth it for me.

Honestly, I'm not sure why OP has folks doing +0.05 offsets and messing with power limits. If you're setting -20 to -30 all cores you should 100% of the time see the same or lower temps and usually the same or slightly better performance. Most of the rest of the OP is excessive, either making no difference, or possibly having a negative trade-off.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I'm not sure why OP has folks doing +0.05 offsets and messing with power limits. If you're setting -20 to -30 all cores you should 100% of the time see the same or lower temps and usually the same or slightly better performance. Most of the rest of the OP is excessive, either making no difference, or possibly having a negative trade-off.

Yea I've just -30 all cores and called it a day personally.

rybrad

Oct 25, 2017
I skipped everything except setting cores to -30 and the power limits as I had been working on this a bit previously and those were the main things people mentioned. If I do -30 with default power limits I definitely get a temp increase but it boosts to 4425 rather than my usual 4100.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I skipped everything except setting cores to -30 and the power limits as I had been working on this a bit previously and those were the main things people mentioned. If I do -30 with default power limits I definitely get a temp increase but it boosts to 4425 rather than my usual 4100.

Very strange, voltage should be lower and CPU should pull ~10W+ less. Should mean lower temps not higher.

I guess I would use hwinfo64 and track differences with both to see why this is happening.

OP
OP
Sambumbia-PR

Sambumbia-PR

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Its a negative offset of 0.05. If you find it excessive and just want to put a -20 or -30 then good for you. Do what works for you. Im not making anyone doing anything, just the cataloguing the method that gave me good temps and performance on my 5800X3D.

The methods I put in the OP gave me better results on my benchmarks and games and i just put the info in one place.

rybrad

Oct 25, 2017
Very strange, voltage should be lower and CPU should pull ~10W+ less. Should mean lower temps not higher.

I guess I would use hwinfo64 and track differences with both to see why this is happening.
I was using Ryzen master to watch temps so I'll try hwinfo64 instead and see if it looks any different. I'm a bit perplexed about the results as well as everywhere I look people are talking about the big temp drops they got.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I was using Ryzen master to watch temps so I'll try hwinfo64 instead and see if it looks any different. I'm a bit perplexed about the results as well as everywhere I look people are talking about the big temp drops they got.

They will definitely report temps differently, but hwinfo will track everything over-time and log it. Make sure voltage changes when you apply the offset.