DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
JyJj9zY.png

www.sagaftrastrike.org

Halloween Guidance from SAG-AFTRA

This Halloween, to make sure our members don’t inadvertently break strike rules, some costume quick tips on the dos and don’ts.

Boo! SAG-AFTRA has issued some strict Halloween costume guidelines for striking actors.

The union is prohibiting actors from dressing up as popular characters from struck content and then posting the images on social media.

That means some of the most popular Halloween costumes this year — such as Barbie and Wednesday Addams — are not allowed.
Instead, the guild told members on Thursday to "choose costumes inspired by generalized characters and figures — ghost, zombie, spider, etc." (Surely, however, somebody is going to show up at a party as a fake Carol Lombardini).

Members can dress up as characters from non-struck content, however, like an animated TV show. Marvel superheroes, however, are not allowed despite having comic book roots, because they're owned by Disney.
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Barbie Banned: Striking Actors Are Given Strict Halloween Costume Rules

Under newly announced Halloween costume rules from SAG-AFTRA, being seen online dressing as popular TV and movie characters is prohibited.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
I mean, a strike where you refuse to promote brands is indeed a strike where you refuse to promote brands.

Actors have a presence in the world so them wearing a brand costume is - whether intended or not - promotion.

All makes sense.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Malibu Stacy and Cynthia costumes about to sell out

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Is it just Barbie costumes related to just the film or Barbie period? Barbie is a toy brand first and foremost.

They talk about it a bit in the THR article:

Members can dress up as characters from non-struck content, however, like an animated TV show. Marvel superheroes, however, are not allowed despite having comic book roots, because they're owned by Disney.

A truly determined fan could cite character ownership technicalities here — Barbie, for instance, is owned by Mattel, yet the appearance of promoting the summer's biggest movie from a major studio would surely be frowned upon and the whole idea is to be mindful of the message that a costume might send.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Seems pretty reasonable, but this is the kind of thing I would have never thought about before lol

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
SAG might be pushing it a bit with that one. The Barbie brand is associated with Mattel, not WB. With Marvel/DC being owned by major studios, the ban definitely makes sense.
Given the context of this year, I highly doubt most adult Barbie costumes this year are because of the toy and not the movie. Any other year and I'd agree with you.

Oct 27, 2017
Given the context of this year, I highly doubt most adult Barbie costumes this year are because of the toy and not the movie. Any other year and I'd agree with you.
I wonder how Mattel feels about this. Maybe they're in support of it but I wouldn't be surprised if they were annoyed that their brand is being targeted despite them having nothing to do with this conflict.
So you can dress up as an animated character that is owned by Disney, but not a comic book character owned by Disney.

🤔
Yea, I understand animation has its own union but regardless, it's still promoting something from Disney.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
So would you not be able to dress as Dracula and Frankenstein because of the many movies about those characters?

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
is it only recent stuff or is all studio stuff?

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
So would you not be able to dress as Dracula and Frankenstein because of the many movies about those characters?
Is the rule "no promoting any movie that has ever existed at any point in time" or "no promoting any movie released in the last X months"? It talks about "struck content"; what exactly does that mean?

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
is it only recent stuff or is all studio stuff?

All studio stuff, ideally.

Is the rule "no promoting any movie that has ever existed at any point in time" or "no promoting any movie released in the last X months"? It talks about "struck content"; what exactly does that mean?

Anything that is or would have been covered by the Television/Theatrical/Streaming contracts.

I don't think the original Frankenstein was a SAG production, but it'd be best to avoid anything of that nature if you want to push this to its fullest extent.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
14743834707176.jpg
So….just the sexy random costumes then.

celebrity-halloween-costumes-benjamin-mckenzie.jpg

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for kids to start calling each other scabs on TikTok for dressing up as Iron man or whatever.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
What are the rules for that... like I'm sure there's some random Marvel or DC guy they can pull then, if it hasn't been adapted.

If you're a SAG actor and are considering a costume, I guess the rules boil down to: is there a chance you'll be called a scab on social media by wearing this costume? If yes, don't do it. If no, it's all good.

In the end, it's all about perceptions. The message to SAG actors is to not take chances.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
If you're a SAG actor and are considering a costume, I guess the rules boil down to: is there a chance you'll be called a scab on social media by wearing this costume? If yes, don't do it. If no, it's all good.

In the end, it's all about perceptions. The message to SAG actors is to not take chances.
Meanwhile they got exceptions to do conventions, which while isn't promoting a specific show, I mean... the actors are basically there to promote a show without promoting a show. lol