Which character will you be starting with?

• Diva No. 5

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Siugnas the Dismal King

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Bonnie Blair & Formina Franklyn

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • Tsunanori Mido

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Ameya Aisling

Votes: 8 10.0%

• Total voters

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Started my second Tsunanori run. Already off to a bad start because none of the starting worlds are Pulchra. I wanna finish the last two side stories there (assuming White has one) and I want Lita. After I beat a world, do the rest shuffle around? I'll keep reloading if I have to. Didn't do it this first time because it would mean restarting the story from the beginning and I already geared everyone up.

Edit: I did Capitol City as my first world and Lita was the reporter for whatever reason. Not only that, but when I beat it, I couldn't recruit her. Also none of the options for the next three worlds are Pulchra. Please don't tell me Mido can't even do Pulchra on a second run. If that's the case I'm dropping this playthrough right now and just playing as Siugnas.

You can do Pulchra.

I think I went Capital City -> something I can't remember -> Pulchra -> Cinq for my 2nd Mido run. The worlds available change after each required world.

I don't think you can recruit Lita in Capital City. I've done it like 4 times and never recruited her. Someone said you can recruit the singer with Suignas, but not sure if it's possible to recruit anyone else in that world.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
You can do Pulchra.

I think I went Capital City -> something I can't remember -> Pulchra -> Cinq for my 2nd Mido run. The worlds available change after each required world.

I don't think you can recruit Lita in Capital City. I've done it like 4 times and never recruited her. Someone said you can recruit the singer with Suignas, but not sure if it's possible to recruit anyone else in that world.
Oh ok so they change. Regardless, I think I'm just gonna abandon this run and do Siugnas' story instead. He's the only one I haven't beaten the game with hand I think in the end I'd rather at least beat the game with everyone than treat every playthrough as simply a requirement for Ameya's stupid ending. Pretty sure you can recruit Mido in his story so I also have that to look forward to since he got pretty damn strong. Then I can try to make Siugnas really strong in his own story so that I can recruit him in Ameya's. I'll probably give him dual wielding and replace LoLo with him. Ameya is busted, Boh inherited a ton of skills and roles from Mido, and I hear Siugnas in general is just super strong, so I think my Ameya party has potential to steamroll the game. Hopefully.

Mar 11, 2020
I think Diva's scenario gets the highest BR rank because it just has so many required worlds. I ran into the same issue on my first run.
And the fun thing is that if you do Diva's scenario first, it means any time you carry over BR to anyone else it starts that high (X_X)

Yeah, I was going to ask at this point if anyone has actually made a great monster party member that's viable for high end battles, and if so what skills they have on them.

I also wonder what the best mech skills are.

So people have run Mido #4 and it's identical to #3? Have players hit the final variation in any of the other runs? Is the community just assuming Siugnas/B+F/Diva don't have any variations beyond their first run?
JP wiki lists different endings for those 3 on their second round, so i assume there are more still.

Man some of you guys are stupid farther than me. Almost done with my first Mido run and second playthrough total. Idk i got caught farming magic stones here at the end cause I REALLY want to be done with trading already as i hate micromanaging it after every battle and i've almost got it to rank 8.

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Finally getting around to doing the end game Mr S challenges and even though I have all the tickets (in fact I have about 5x copies of each of them since they were worth 7 points to bid on) challenge number 4 just isn't in the Junction, period. It looks like I can't repeat them so I guess I'm just going to hope after clearing out the other 7 challenges will get it to pop up next time I come to the junction. Annoyingly, the first two challenges were pretty easy for me, each taking two tries, and they both dropped some cool weapons for the completion, but... the third trial took me like 6 tries and some in menu optimization and upgrades to take care of, and that one didn't drop anything besides the mission rewards. I would really hope they give 100% drop rate on these challenges seeing as you can only do them once (per run, I imagine?) and they're tough, but I wasn't about to reload and have to re-optimize my party.

Unrelated to the challenges, enjoy Lifetaker Everywhere All at Once.

View: https://youtu.be/h888qoqVotY?si=xA5MvnwRUnEq2PJB

Yo the soundtrack is on iTunes. What the fuck I'm buying that right now.

Oh hell yeah I see it's on Amazon as well, I'm gonna get this shit for sure (or weigh my options I'm not super familiar with any digital store tbh).

Mar 11, 2020
Ahaha, Mido's first ending is kinda hilarious where it ended.

2 cycles away from maxing trade. God im so done with that.

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
So I did get my missing challenge to spawn next time in the Junction, I'm guessing there's just a maximum of 10 branches in the Junction at any one time and my 3 available worlds+8 challenges meant one had to go. The other challenges also respawn so long as you have tickets so they can be farmed between worlds, but I doubt I will. The biggest challenge in any fight is really just outfitting my team with status resistances and it's time consuming to remember which ones for each fight haha. But they really weren't too bad on the whole, and I even one shot a few of them. I understand there's one more challenge ticket available that's a bit different, but I've never seen it show up even though my characters are all approaching 900 HP.

With Siugnas I've unlocked the door that lets you visit any world. Pretty cool! Whereas you're usually limited to how many worlds you can visit, since Siugnas is just vacationing through the conjoined worlds in search of darkness and doesn't really have a mission, he can visit every single world (except one of either Capitol City or Pulchra, and of course Brighthome and Yomi are unique cases). You can just get a monstrously large retinue on Siugnas, and build a crazy pool of LP haha. Actually thinking about it I wonder if Mido and probably Ameya are the only ones super limited to worlds they can visit in a single playthrough once the door is unlocked.

Aside from early catch up a couple of playthroughs ago, I have just stomped through the game despite carrying over BP. It feels like the game just can't catch up to my equipment level. Sometimes I die on a brutal or hard encounter, but most every normal encounter is over within two rounds, most hard encounters are actually trivial, and only brutal encounters present any challenge any more. Strange. I imagine I might get fucked when I do my next Ameya run, since her party was only at like 500 HP but uh we'll cross that bridge when it comes. I have finished all the Pulchra events though so I'm looking forward to finally wrapping up her story!

My fourth visit to Kamala and I finally got a recruit from there yay. Progression didn't work out quite how I figured it would in this world for a fourth visit but it's cool. Since your first 3 visits are each a unique Epuyke on a different clifftop, I figured the fourth clifftop would have a fourth scenario! But instead it seems you're just now given a choice of the 3 different scenarios via different doors, so that's cool. I chose Nana again and this time recruited her instead of flowering her, and then I finished the world doing the battle challenge I've been ignoring and got one of the bug people too so that's cool! I adore Nana's story, but all 3 scenarios in Kamala are great. I would like to see if I can recruit any of the other Epuyke or see how else their scenarios might change.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
Someone finally uploaded the music for Diva's final boss fight.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VsVZkPAXz4

I'm on my 6th overall playthrough, having done all characters once and going for Diva second playthrough. My plan is to do a second playthrough of all scenarios and then a third actual final playthrough aimed at tackling the Mr. S challenges/true final boss form with either Sigunas or B&F. Sigunas because Sanguine techs are really absurd and the whole team can make use of them (while the rest of the protagonists either don't have a unique gimmick that comes into play for combat or they're inconsequential to team building overall), and B&F because they're the only protagonists that are able to recruit all of the others during their playthrough as well.

Sword and gun techs are overpowered as hell. Airwave and Airswell just wrecks so many fights, getting multiple sword users spamming it trivializes a lot of things. Guns have absolutely absurd utility too.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I still struggle with a lot of fights even approaching 900 HP. I'm guessing because my gear isn't up to par. I have at best +2 stuff and a couple of +3 because I just stopped doing the item trading. So I have a limited supply of stuff like obsidian and I never see stuff like dragon scales or meteorites. Some enemies can still kill me in like 3 hits. The only times I can kill enemies super fast is if I have Ameya and she casts the Tower and I trigger an Overdrive.

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I still struggle with a lot of fights even approaching 900 HP. I'm guessing because my gear isn't up to par. I have at best +2 stuff and a couple of +3 because I just stopped doing the item trading. So I have a limited supply of stuff like obsidian and I never see stuff like dragon scales or meteorites. Some enemies can still kill me in like 3 hits. The only times I can kill enemies super fast is if I have Ameya and she casts the Tower and I trigger an Overdrive.
Are you not getting obsidian as item rewards and stuff? I barely engage with trading any more, but missions constantly give me high quality items so it just hasn't been an issue. Whereas I used to get ironstone for a mission reward now I'll get like 2x obsidian instead. Could be because I'm at trading rank 8 though. And to be fair though I'm now on my 9th playthrough and spent several playthroughs just amassing a wealth of materials and never bothering with upgrades, only going all out on enhancements from my 8th playthrough which is when I started carrying over BP. Anyway, dragon scales come from killing dragons, squid fins from the squids, but I think I only get meteorites from trading in sadly, aside from the Mr S Challenge and Trial rewards which can get you some. Superalloy is also from the trials exclusively I think, but now that I have 2 of them I can't even remember what I needed it to upgrade lol.

But also while my armor is more generically upgraded, all my weapons are upgraded forms of unique drops. For example my absolute monstrous power hitter Hero is using the 2H Halberd Qinglong Yanyuedao +1 with a WP of 81 (don't know where I got this), and the 2H gun Star King with a WP of 86 (from the final trial, but it replaced my Hyperion Bazooka +3 which has WP OF 84 AND is a guaranteed hit, and I have 2 of them I think from Delta Base scenarios). This monster can do 2k in a single attack, and showstoppers can just effortlessly have a hilarious 5k+ damage output since I have him sitting on majorly reduced BP.

Also speaking of the Mr S Challenges, that's a system I stopped engaging with after like my second playthrough. I just have it auto pick challenges because I can't be bothered with it, but I don't even look at them or go out of my way to complete them and have been hoping to just max it out across playthroughs. I'm at level 9 right now and hoping 10 is the last. I wish I could select challenges to never be picked though, I basically only use offensive magic on Ameya playthroughs and the game loves picking "finish with a bang", so that'll be a wasted slot for like a dozen battles until I actually glance over there and am like oh shit I need to change that. For me the entire magic system boils down to Hasten Time and that's it though lol. But with SSG and now EB these little extra challenges are just not implemented in a way I find engaging at all. I've easily done most all the challenges, but having the right one selected at the right time? Meh. I think they should just all be active all the time, it could also be a fantastic way to track stats which is something I desperately wish this game did.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Are you not getting obsidian as item rewards and stuff? I barely engage with trading any more, but missions constantly give me high quality items so it just hasn't been an issue. Whereas I used to get ironstone for a mission reward now I'll get like 2x obsidian instead. Could be because I'm at trading rank 8 though. And to be fair though I'm now on my 9th playthrough and spent several playthroughs just amassing a wealth of materials and never bothering with upgrades, only going all out on enhancements from my 8th playthrough which is when I started carrying over BP. Anyway, dragon scales come from killing dragons, squid fins from the squids, but I think I only get meteorites from trading in sadly, aside from the Mr S Challenge and Trial rewards which can get you some. Superalloy is also from the trials exclusively I think, but now that I have 2 of them I can't even remember what I needed it to upgrade lol.

But also while my armor is more generically upgraded, all my weapons are upgraded forms of unique drops. For example my absolute monstrous power hitter Hero is using the 2H Halberd Qinglong Yanyuedao +1 with a WP of 81 (don't know where I got this), and the 2H gun Star King with a WP of 86 (from the final trial, but it replaced my Hyperion Bazooka +3 which has WP OF 84 AND is a guaranteed hit, and I have 2 of them I think from Delta Base scenarios). This monster can do 2k in a single attack, and showstoppers can just effortlessly have a hilarious 5k+ damage output since I have him sitting on majorly reduced BP.

Also speaking of the Mr S Challenges, that's a system I stopped engaging with after like my second playthrough. I just have it auto pick challenges because I can't be bothered with it, but I don't even look at them or go out of my way to complete them and have been hoping to just max it out across playthroughs. I'm at level 9 right now and hoping 10 is the last. I wish I could select challenges to never be picked though, I basically only use offensive magic on Ameya playthroughs and the game loves picking "finish with a bang", so that'll be a wasted slot for like a dozen battles until I actually glance over there and am like oh shit I need to change that. For me the entire magic system boils down to Hasten Time and that's it though lol. But with SSG and now EB these little extra challenges are just not implemented in a way I find engaging at all. I've easily done most all the challenges, but having the right one selected at the right time? Meh. I think they should just all be active all the time, it could also be a fantastic way to track stats which is something I desperately wish this game did.
I amassed quite a bit of obsidian on my B+F playthrough but for some reason almost none on Mido's which was the last one I completed. I'm currently in Pulchra with Siugnas (final Pulchra run thank god) and have only 9 obsidian left. I think I have one or two weapons that need stuff I don't have like meteorite or superalloy. But I'm kind of at a loss as to how to use my remaining obsidian. There's some weapons that need it and a lot of armor. I guess I don't know if I should upgrade the weapons or armor. Killing stuff faster is always good but some of these guys hit so damn hard. I had a Gravity Bind hit me for over 900 damage.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I think I finally beat Pulchra forever. After doing this last set and beating the boss, I noticed some pentagram lighting up right before leaving the world. I'm not sure if that always happens or if that only happened because all 5 sub stories were done.

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Despite what I said about not bothering with the Mr S Final Trials I ended up wanting to go another round with one of them and... it had changed. I realized the engagement said the boss was ????? which was weird since I had just beat it earlier in the junction. So I decided to check them all and ended up refighting all 8 trials, and weirdly four of them had new bosses, but the other four were still the same ones I had already fought. So I guess they're not as fixed as I had thought lol. And maybe those other 4 can change too. I should try reloading next time to see if they randomize or if I just crossed some BP threshold in the middle of my fights last time I guess. Kind of dumb.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm in the middle of a fight, pick all my skills, initiate the round and it does the animation where everyone runs up to the enemies at different camera angles, and then it does it again, and again, and again...and I guess I just have to shut down the game

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
So I'm in the middle of a fight, pick all my skills, initiate the round and it does the animation where everyone runs up to the enemies at different camera angles, and then it does it again, and again, and again...and I guess I just have to shut down the game
The good thing is the game constantly auto saves before every encounter (and maybe node interaction?). Can't say I've had that happen though it sounds hilarious to see, though it sucks it couldn't have just happened at the start of the fight. I have had like 2 crashes though.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Beat B&Fs route. It was interesting to see the results of multiple play-throughs in certain worlds.

In Grelon one of the characters just gave me the pieces to unlock the gate after unfreezing everyone, without having to search around or subsequently track down more pieces later, which was nice. Unlocking shortcuts in some of the longer/more tedious worlds is always welcome.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
So Kawazu originally wanted 8 characters and even more worlds for Emerald Beyond. Guessing budget limitations killed that dream. https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/saga-emerald-beyond-interview-akitoshi-kawazu

The more I play, the less the BR system inheritance in NG+ makes sense. Why not give the option of using the BR from the last protagonist you played or the highest from all characters. That way, people who played through the longer characters routes first can still carry over BR for Mido or Ameya without it starting out obscenely high.

Mar 11, 2020
Despite what I said about not bothering with the Mr S Final Trials I ended up wanting to go another round with one of them and... it had changed. I realized the engagement said the boss was ????? which was weird since I had just beat it earlier in the junction. So I decided to check them all and ended up refighting all 8 trials, and weirdly four of them had new bosses, but the other four were still the same ones I had already fought. So I guess they're not as fixed as I had thought lol. And maybe those other 4 can change too. I should try reloading next time to see if they randomize or if I just crossed some BP threshold in the middle of my fights last time I guess. Kind of dumb.
OOO, ok i was right to keep buying them on my following playthroughs.

Anyways, is there any good list for trading or like a spreadsheet people have been contributing to? I FINALLY maxed trading and the game has been so much more fun not worrying about trading and just auto giving me the S challenges. Ugh i feel like the way that worked broke up the flow of the game too much and now it feels right after that's done.

I saw the Great Beast > 2 Oak and 1 Oak > 3 magic beast then 3 magic beast > Great Beast to start gaining mats but i wonder if people have mapped out more direct trades without relying on the randomized ones yet.

Back to collecting cats.

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Wait monster equipment doesn't carry over?
Nope. If you reclaim the same equipment I think people say it retains whatever the last absorbed skill though, but you either have to redo the challenges or recruit the same character I guess? Just another reason monsters suck.

As for trading, I don't know of any resources. I really think my multiple playthroughs of just ignoring my resources saved me from ever having to worry about that shit again thankfully because I have dozens of high level resources and man I never want to touch trading again lol. It's so badly implemented.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
So Kawazu originally wanted 8 characters and even more worlds for Emerald Beyond. Guessing budget limitations killed that dream. https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/saga-emerald-beyond-interview-akitoshi-kawazu

The more I play, the less the BR system inheritance in NG+ makes sense. Why not give the option of using the BR from the last protagonist you played or the highest from all characters. That way, people who played through the longer characters routes first can still carry over BR for Mido or Ameya without it starting out obscenely high.

Good interview. I never even thought of the strategy of not killing off weaker enemies to syphon BP from the stronger enemies so they couldn't use larger attacks. Generally I've found the best way to not get murdered is to kill off the weaker enemies first and hopefully trigger a good United Attack from the kill bonus to do big damage on the stronger enemies.

Re: 8 protags. Honestly I'm kind of glad they didn't if it was going to be more like these. There's just not enough differentiation between the characters outside Siugnas and more characters to do multiple runs with that were essentially the same with some different dialogues would just drag the game down. More worlds would've been great, but 17 is already pretty substantial. If anything I wish they had more time/budget to expand some of those worlds with more variation branching.

I can imagine this game must have been a huge pain in the ass to QA test though with all the branching.

Also interesting that he says playing Mido three or four times will give an idea of the scenario. Would like to know whether Mido's 4th is a big difference from 3rd.

At this point I'm on break and back to playing Rebirth and other stuff. After 6 runs I'm ok waiting until I know what's left to do and then coming back and doing the rest of the scenarios.

Though I may sneak in a Mido #3 because Mido runs are pretty short and I'm curious about his plot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Last night after my third bout of beating the challenging trials I finished Siugnas and I thought it was pretty funny how bad I can just humiliate the end boss. Unfortunately I never got the ticket to upgrade my boss, possibly because it was the first time Siugnas had fought Diverse Heavens. I definitely want to see whatever the biggest challenge in the game is, and I want to do it with my absolutely broken Siugnas retinue. So after Ameya 3, I might do yet another Siugnas run 👀 Which will be 11 playthroughs. I know SaGa games are always said to be made for replayability but before this one I've literally never done more than one playthrough of any of them but I just can't stop loving the game, even though the challenge has just disappeared.

Though I may sneak in a Mido #3 because Mido runs are pretty short and I'm curious about his plot.

Mido's third run is a lot of fun just because how off the rails it goes out of nowhere with his story haha.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I finally beat the game with every character. Now I just have Ameya's true ending left. Gonna enjoy recruiting Siugnas with her.

I gotta say though, I really can't stand this game's way of designing a difficult encounter. It basically just consists of giving encounters the ability of applying every single fucking status ailment in the game. That's not hard, it's just super fucking annoying. It adds menu busy work and more RNG than the game already has.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so finally reached the new ending with Ameya. But there's a big catch. Her Pulchra is honestly pretty tedious. You have to go around fighting constantly in each of the witch bases. Then after that you get a new boss and then her true final boss. Except it's not the true final boss.
So you get a choice before the final battle to either recognize that you have enough power to become the Arch Witch or you can tell LoLo that you disagree with him and that you've got a ways to go. The second choice has you facing off against Macha who's mad at Pulchra because they apparently steal magic from other worlds and fuck with the balance of the Conjoined Worlds. You beat her and then you just get a little slideshow of everyone celebrating and that's it. Credits.
Super underwhelming. It just ends there. The other option is more interesting and kind of amusing.
If you agree that you can become the Arch Witch, Ameya has a sudden heel turn and says she wants to use her power to kill the dude who stole her powers in the beginning of the game and then rule the Conjoined Worlds. It's so out of nowhere that I couldn't help but laugh. Even LoLo was like "girl WHAT!?"
S1qIMoh.jpeg

xlOkbmD.jpeg

This route also has the hardest final boss easily. It's fucking immune to physical damage. Like 100% immune. You can only deal damage with magic, but it's also immune to fire. Because some spells have physical properties, it's also immune to stuff like Hypergravity and Sharp Pain. I found that I could only deal damage with The Tower, Blood Curl, and any ice spell. It was insanely cheap. You also get the boss' weapon at the end but it's not that great. And after all that you still don't fight the dude who takes your powers. So I think I have to beat the fucking game with her AGAIN, including filling the cup completely and doing Pulchra with her again. Then after that I have to assume you get different dialogue options or it simply continues. It's hard to tell from the Google translation of the wiki but that seems to be how it works. That's simply insane. They had to be trolling with this character. It blows my mind that to fight her true final boss for real you have to beat the game a minimum of 5 times. I don't know what they were thinking. I don't think I can do this again just for that. I already have 113 hours. That's enough.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Can always take a break.
Yeah I think I will until that guide comes out and things are more concrete. But even then, I might be done completely. I think the only reason I'm trying so hard for Ameya's ending besides liking her is sunk-cost fallacy. Every other character has an additional ending but I'm not concerned about theirs. Hell, I only beat Tsunanori's game once. If I end it here it's not like I didn't get my money's worth. It's a great game.

cozyduck

Oct 28, 2017
And after all that you still don't fight the dude who takes your powers.

So, fighting Macha (either version) is actually your reward for having beaten the grey witch by yourself. Had you lost your first fight against the grey witch then the other witches will come to help and you'd have been put on the path to eventually confronting the dude who took your powers. The finale is just your regular fight against one world as you must've done plenty of times on other characters though.
If you do decide to replay, at least with direct warp you get to pick the most efficient worlds. At this point in my game I get to basically skip delta base and crowrealm completely, but it's most likely tied to having done all scenarios in these worlds already.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So, fighting Macha (either version) is actually your reward for having beaten the grey witch by yourself. Had you lost your first fight against the grey witch then the other witches will come to help and you'd have been put on the path to eventually confronting the dude who took your powers. The finale is just your regular fight against one world as you must've done plenty of times on other characters though.
If you do decide to replay, at least with direct warp you get to pick the most efficient worlds. At this point in my game I get to basically skip delta base and crowrealm completely, but it's most likely tied to having done all scenarios in these worlds already.
Oooh damn. Is the ending any different? I have a save from before going back to Pulchra if I really wanna go through the trouble.

cozyduck

Oct 28, 2017
Oooh damn. Is the ending any different? I have a save from before going back to Pulchra if I really wanna go through the trouble.

Well, after losing to the grey witch the others join you and you get to do an easier fight against the witch, which you then win. You all make up and free the arch witch. Turns out that Ameya is this generations watcher, so she takes the calamity shard and is exiled forever from Pulchra, which she takes mostly in stride. Back at the Junction you meet the dude who still wants to rob your powers, and as a matter of fact wants to rob all of Pulchras power. You fight him to protect Pulchra and to get payback. Same one world fight as usual, although it does have Awakening Incantation: Wood this time. After that, iirc, pretty much a nonending like usual where you just walk into a junction door for your next adventure.
Personally I found fighting Macha, especially the extra hard version, more interesting. Although Ameyas heel turn is definitely completely out of character. I wish they had given the player the opportunity to steer in that direction of character development more during the game.

This route also has the hardest final boss easily. It's fucking immune to physical damage. Like 100% immune. You can only deal damage with magic, but it's also immune to fire. Because some spells have physical properties, it's also immune to stuff like Hypergravity and Sharp Pain. I found that I could only deal damage with The Tower, Blood Curl, and any ice spell.

Skills that ignore defense such as One for One also work.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Well, after losing to the grey witch the others join you and you get to do an easier fight against the witch, which you then win. You all make up and free the arch witch. Turns out that Ameya is this generations watcher, so she takes the calamity shard and is exiled forever from Pulchra, which she takes mostly in stride. Back at the Junction you meet the dude who still wants to rob your powers, and as a matter of fact wants to rob all of Pulchras power. You fight him to protect Pulchra and to get payback. Same one world fight as usual, although it does have Awakening Incantation: Wood this time. After that, iirc, pretty much a nonending like usual where you just walk into a junction door for your next adventure.
Personally I found fighting Macha, especially the extra hard version, more interesting. Although Ameyas heel turn is definitely completely out of character. I wish they had given the player the opportunity to steer in that direction of character development more during the game.
Sounds overall like a less satisfying ending, even if it is in character.
I liked evil Ameya fun for how amusing it was that it came out of nowhere. I'll just consider the other ending where you save Pulchra from Macha my canon one. Though I never would've guessed I had to lose the fight against the Grey Witch to face the dude from the start. I could've sworn I did die once, but maybe I hit reattempt before dying.

I guess that means my time with the game is over. I put waaaay more time in this than I did Scarlet Grace where I only beat it with Urpina and Leo. I think I ended up getting burnt out faster in SG than here. It helps that in this game you can carry over absolutely everything. SG locked it behind additional runs for some reason.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021

I wouldn't even do BR carryover even if you're technically prepared for it. I didn't do it for my second Diva run and it feels like the BR already caught up after like 3 worlds. Not carrying over BR gives you the opportunity to knock out the harder trials more easily before it becomes too difficult to reasonably do some of them.

Also, I'm gonna bet that the party members that were originally going to be lead characters were...

- Wednesday: She's the only human in the entire game capable of wielding relic gear and monster techs on top of all the other shit humans can already do. Probably the most WTF character in the game from a potential backstory standpoint. She may have had some involvement in the original Beast King incident at Delta Base, which would explain why she's always in that full body suit.

- Blath: She would have been the Ephemeral hero, she's obviously from Kamala and has markings indicating that she was supposed to undergo the ritual there at one point, except she somehow ended up in Avalon (when the only other plant ephemeral we see outside of Kamala is in Brighthome which is filled with people from other worlds on purpose to begin with), and her markings are purple for some reason. She's also the only Ephemeral in the game that can wield weapons since the others are monsters specializing in spellcasting and wielding monster techs instead.

Diva's party has a lot of shit going on that is just never explained, you can tell they ran out of budget for her scenario in particular.

Mar 11, 2020
So my first Ameya ending just ended after only two worlds, no boss, i wasn't collecting side cats, i thought that's how you go further? dang this girl is confusing but i just went straight to playing her again since it went so quick. I guess i should collect side cats this time?

I think this may be one of those SaGa games i go through with every character and try to do everything like i did for the RS remake and Frontier 1. I am having so much fun with this one and it varies more that SG did which i only did two full character playthroughs in, but those were much longer.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So my first Ameya ending just ended after only two worlds, no boss, i wasn't collecting side cats, i thought that's how you go further? dang this girl is confusing but i just went straight to playing her again since it went so quick. I guess i should collect side cats this time?

I think this may be one of those SaGa games i go through with every character and try to do everything like i did for the RS remake and Frontier 1. I am having so much fun with this one and it varies more that SG did which i only did two full character playthroughs in, but those were much longer.
I believe that route is only available after beating it the first time. Just go for the green as soon as they're available. Her game should extend to 4 worlds. At one point LoLo asks you if you wanna go back to Pulchra because you've filled the cup like 80% of the way. You have the option of saying you wanna still collect more. At that point you're allowed to collect any blue cats you ignored. You wanna regain all your spells and I think get INT to 99 so that the game acknowledges that in addition to filling the cup, you regain all your powers. If you're missing some spells and if I think your INT is below 99, LoLo will comment that you've completely filled the cup but Ameya will nervously laugh and say she didn't completely regain her powers. Honestly I'm not even sure the 99 INT matters. I just did it to be sure. It's easy to get hers to 99 anyway.

Mar 11, 2020
I believe that route is only available after beating it the first time. Just go for the green as soon as they're available. Her game should extend to 4 worlds. At one point LoLo asks you if you wanna go back to Pulchra because you've filled the cup like 80% of the way. You have the option of saying you wanna still collect more. At that point you're allowed to collect any blue cats you ignored. You wanna regain all your spells and I think get INT to 99 so that the game acknowledges that in addition to filling the cup, you regain all your powers. If you're missing some spells and if I think your INT is below 99, LoLo will comment that you've completely filled the cup but Ameya will nervously laugh and say she didn't completely regain her powers. Honestly I'm not even sure the 99 INT matters. I just did it to be sure. It's easy to get hers to 99 anyway.
Ok cool, that helps me make more sense of it. Do you know what each other character has to do in Pulchra to finish her out cause i thought once you do the Pulchra stuff with her once, you have to actually do it all with the other protags before it unlocks her final boss? i'm still navigating the JP wiki best i can and dang she is confusing. I've only been to Pulchra once so far with Mido and i barely did anything there.

cozyduck

Oct 28, 2017
There are 5 side quests in Pulchra, each associated with one of the 5 elements, that you need to complete as other characters. This will require a bare minimum of 3 visits to Pulchra, as you cannot complete more than 2 sidequests per visit. Your first visit as Mido doesn't count, as that was part of his main story for his first playthrough and you're not allowed to engage with the calamity war on that visit.

I'm not fully sure on the following, but even on my first "proper" visit it was only possible to complete 1 of the sidequests. Only on future visits doing 2 became possible. If when you start Pulchra you only have access to 3 battlefields, you will only be able to complete 1 quest. If you have access to all 5 battlefields, it is possible to complete up to 2 sidequest, but you will need some good time management for it.

The trick is that once 3 castles have fallen or have been liberated, the war will end. Doing a quest counts as liberating a castle. So in order to manage 2 quests, you will need to allow at most 1 castle to fall. But you also need to make sure to not liberate any of the other castles you're not doing the quests for. One more tricky thing is that the war progresses more quickly at the yellow battlefield than the others. So if you're aiming to clear 2 quests you should either start with yellow (as that also stops the war from advancing on that battlefield), or you should let yellow fall immediately so as to not waste time.
Note that you do not need to fight any of the battles at the battlefields, just watching yields the same results. Also, you need to fully complete a sidequest before another can start. Whichever battlefield you go to will trigger a new sidequest to start, provided you're not already doing another one.

Finally, I think you also need to recruit Ameya at least once with another character. Not sure though.

Once you've done all that, when you finish a new Ameya playthrough (with max mana?) the game will continue once you return to Pulchra. There are multiple outcomes including different final battles depending on your actions though. I currently know of 3 possible endings.

Mar 11, 2020
There are 5 side quests in Pulchra, each associated with one of the 5 elements, that you need to complete as other characters. This will require a bare minimum of 3 visits to Pulchra, as you cannot complete more than 2 sidequests per visit. Your first visit as Mido doesn't count, as that was part of his main story for his first playthrough and you're not allowed to engage with the calamity war on that visit.

I'm not fully sure on the following, but even on my first "proper" visit it was only possible to complete 1 of the sidequests. Only on future visits doing 2 became possible. If when you start Pulchra you only have access to 3 battlefields, you will only be able to complete 1 quest. If you have access to all 5 battlefields, it is possible to complete up to 2 sidequest, but you will need some good time management for it.

The trick is that once 3 castles have fallen or have been liberated, the war will end. Doing a quest counts as liberating a castle. So in order to manage 2 quests, you will need to allow at most 1 castle to fall. But you also need to make sure to not liberate any of the other castles you're not doing the quests for. One more tricky thing is that the war progresses more quickly at the yellow battlefield than the others. So if you're aiming to clear 2 quests you should either start with yellow (as that also stops the war from advancing on that battlefield), or you should let yellow fall immediately so as to not waste time.
Note that you do not need to fight any of the battles at the battlefields, just watching yields the same results. Also, you need to fully complete a sidequest before another can start. Whichever battlefield you go to will trigger a new sidequest to start, provided you're not already doing another one.

Finally, I think you also need to recruit Ameya at least once with another character. Not sure though.

Once you've done all that, when you finish a new Ameya playthrough (with max mana?) the game will continue once you return to Pulchra. There are multiple outcomes including different final battles depending on your actions though. I currently know of 3 possible endings.
Awesome thanks for explaining, i think i get it but i'll probably understand more then once i get Pulchra once on another character then cause i guess that means i haven't done anything with that yet at all. I'll try to recruit Ameya in my Diva playthrough then once i finish up this Ameya run.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I think Ameya and Siugnas might be two of my favorite JRPG characters. They're simply a riot. I've already posted some Amaya moments but these were from my Siugnas run.
88aF1ik.jpeg

72pk9pp.jpeg

YoqEcHo.jpeg

DPBdVZh.jpeg

61s36P4.jpeg

I've said it before but this game's writing and localization is generally great. I will never understand any complaints about it. Ameya's cute, funny, and spunky and Siugnas is so hilariously arrogant but also a pretty good guy. I can't get the words "Dismal KING" out of my head. I think if I were to rank them:

1. Ameya
2. Siugnas
3. Tsunanori
4. B+F
5. Diva

There's a a gap between Siugnas and Tsunanori and then there's a pretty big gap between Tsunanori and the last three girls. B+F and Diva are just fine I guess. They're easily the blandest of the bunch. It's a shame because their designs (Diva and Formina mainly) are killer.

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I like Ameya as well, but my ranking goes more like Siugnas>Mido>Ameya>Who cares. Siugnas is single handedly my favorite new character in years, he is incredible 🖤🖤🖤 I've seen some complaints that apparently he's called the King of Darkness in Japanese and not the Dismal King like the localization went with, but the Dismal King is god damned iconic, a great name for a great character. Mido is heckin' hilarious, and Ameya is a riot as well 😻

Absolutely love the dialogue in this dumb fucking game.

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Shoutouts to Mags. Green is the best Delta Base route just because of her.
I wish we could recruit her <3 Her and a character named Sorceress in Brighthome are my two NPCs I most wish I could make part of my retinue.

Pqx96SR.jpeg

Look at that suit and tell me she doesn't deserve to be one of Siugnas' thralls. You can't.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Can always take a break.
Yeah, given the amount of repetition in the game I don't think I could have kept playing for as long as I have without taking breaks between characters. But to its credit EB is interesting enough to keep me coming back for more.

Diva's party has a lot of shit going on that is just never explained, you can tell they ran out of budget for her scenario in particular.
Diva's scenario just feels so soulless compared to the rest. According to Kawazu her route was supposed to be about a journey of self discovery, but the dialog fails to convey that.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I was so turned off by the demo, but how do we feel about the final game now that we've all had some time to play it? Scarlet Grace had one of my favorite battle systems, and I don't know if what I was quite feeling the changes for Emerald Beyond.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
I was so turned off by the demo, but how do we feel about the final game now that we've all had some time to play it? Scarlet Grace had one of my favorite battle systems, and I don't know if what I was quite feeling the changes for Emerald Beyond.
I tried going back to Scarlet Grace and have been finding it difficult. So much of Scarlet Grace's combat is ruled by RNG at the end of the day, especially towards the first half of the game. It feels heavily balanced by the assumption that the crowd control debuffs such as Mesmerize and Shadow Weave (or whatever that paralysis bow skill was) that you attempt to use will actually land, and it really hurts there when they don't.

In Emerald Beyond, defending actually results in very significant damage reduction, most crowd control debuffs are tied to actual attacks (and are rarer in general) so it doesn't hurt nearly as much if the debuffs don't land, and formations actually seem much better thought out here too in terms of encouraging different tactics.

Diva's scenario just feels so soulless compared to the rest. According to Kawazu her route was supposed to be about a journey of self discovery, but the dialog fails to convey that.
On my second Diva run, I've found that she actually does some major introspection at the end of Kamala, to the point where I wonder if Kamala was originally going to be one of her required worlds and that Blath should have actually had things to say there too.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I went back and reloaded my Ameya save before Pulchra to get the ending where you fight the guy who stole your powers. And because I'm a simp. Absolutely worth it. While the developments and battles of the endings I got yesterday were cool, this feels a lot more definitive as an ending for her. It actually felt conclusive and gives a lot more closure than the others.
It felt much better having Macha thank you and saying bye to her rather than straight up killing her with no dialogue from her or anything once you do.
Also one of the other endings ends with a quiet slideshow. Super unsatisfying. Now I can actually cap off my time with the game. I'm glad I went back to get this ending. For anyone that wants the most of Ameya's endings, make a save right before you fight the Grey Witch. Then for the cool ending I got today, lose to her on purpose. Then you can just reload and get the other ones. Strangely enough, I never got the dialogue option to get the ending where she stays in Miyako City. Not gonna sweat it though.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I wish we could recruit her <3 Her and a character named Sorceress in Brighthome are my two NPCs I most wish I could make part of my retinue.

Pqx96SR.jpeg

Look at that suit and tell me she doesn't deserve to be one of Siugnas' thralls. You can't.

One of the things I'm a little iffy on with this game is that it's incredibly unclear which NPCs can be recruited and so you leave a world not knowing if you didn't recruit Mags or someone because you can't, or because you didn't do the right sequence, or because you can only recruit them with a specific MC (like Siugnas) AND in the right sequence. I find that frustrating. Like going through Capital City over and over and never getting Lita even though it plot-wise would make sense for her to join since almost every other major NPC that accompanies you for an entire world arc can be recruited (except for like the Captain in pirate world and I don't know if you can ever recruit the plant person in Kamala instead of finishing the ritual).

Another reason I'll be happy to come back to this when guides come out with all recruitable NPCs listed and how to get them. It's fun going in blind for the first few runs, but after multiple runs in a world I want to know who is recruitable and how to get them.

On my second Diva run, I've found that she actually does some major introspection at the end of Kamala, to the point where I wonder if Kamala was originally going to be one of her required worlds and that Blath should have actually had things to say there too.

Yeah, her starting party having worlds they come from and stories there definitely seem like something planned but scrapped.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
In the long run, EB gives you more options and better control over the flow of the battle than SG. Combat in EB almost feels like a puzzle you are solving. Sometimes you are trying to put together the optimal combo chain while other times counterattacks, pursuits, interrupts and showstoppers might be a better option. While combos are much easier to initiate in EB the combo system itself is much more complex. But I do admit that setting off a multi character combo chain feels like much more of an accomplishment in SG than it does in EB.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Another Sane SaGa Game, another absolute unit of an end boss with another absolute unit of a theme song.

But you know, I had kinda got used to the Rygar Shield-wielding trashcan by the end, lol

Highly recommended for anyone just reading. Possible #1 GOTY contender. i'll probably start over with Bonnie and Formina sometime this summer