• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which character will you be starting with?

• Diva No. 5

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • Siugnas the Dismal King

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Bonnie Blair & Formina Franklyn

Votes: 25 33.3%
  • Tsunanori Mido

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Ameya Aisling

Votes: 8 10.7%

• Total voters

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Yd0rfBQ.jpeg

Developer/Publisher: Square Enix
Release Date: April 25, 2024 (Worldwide)
Platforms: PS4/5. Nintendo Switch, Steam, iOS and Android
Physical Release: Currently only for Japan & Asia, including the collectors edition
Price: $49.99, €49.99, £39.99
Demo: Yes - PS4/5 users can play as Tsunanori Mido, Switch users at Ameya Aisling, and Steam users as Diva No. 5 for 2 worlds, and progress carries over to the full game.

View: https://youtu.be/r_L1X8Pn4CU?si=9xxbxzVU_OXilYBF

A New SaGa
A brand new standalone SaGa adventure is here, bringing together elements from across its 35 year history in a unique package that has you traverse 17 connected worlds in what promises to be the SaGa with the most branching choices in the series yet! An iterative game that looks to have built upon the foundations of SaGa Scarlet Grace, but also featuring sci-fi elements not seen since SaGa Frontier, races and character choice that covers everything from the mechs and mutant mechanics of the Gameboy titles to the pirates, monsters and non-human races of the SNES titles, and so much more. SaGa Emerald Beyond promises to be an evolution of the series while also pulling from its long and varied history for references and mechanics and callbacks. Set out on your journey by choosing one of 5 different scenarios featuring 6 different protagonists and follow the emerald waves that bring you to new doors and adventures, and every playthrough is certain to feature unique experiences from your choices!

For those who haven't played a SaGa game before, Square Enix have a nice introductory guide to getting into the series. Briefly, some of the things it mentions are the nonlinear storytelling, exploration, and character progression. The storytelling is more focused on scenarios that can be weaved throughout the narrative, dropped or adapted to player choice, and similarly exploration might entail you never visiting certain regions and locations depending on the choices you make. Characters progress is typically a mixture of equipment levels and skills developed while using that equipment, as well as stats like HP/MP increasing over time, or strength/dexterity etc. The games tend to feature a "battle rank" mechanic in lieu of any traditional levels, and there's often a stigma or fear mongering around the level scaling and screwing yourself over, but I really haven't found it to be a problem in any of the games at all. As you get stronger you will fight stronger opponents; if you somehow end up fighting tougher opponents your abilities will increase faster to take on that challenge as well. The games often have limited healing or item usage, with tactical gameplay based around damage mitigation and all out battles where you're healed in between encounters. There's often a lot of systems at play and many of them are not always explained to the player that well or at all, but these systems give the series a very strong and unique Identity that has been crafted for decades, and more recently there's been a lot more transparency about the underlying systems to ease onboarding of players and overall engagement. For this title in particular check out the battle section where I try to explain some of the basics.

Protagonists

Diva No. 5
ULlD9aj.jpeg

Character Trailer

A mech who specializes in singing and dancing. She is popular in Avalon, a world where industry has developed around the royal city.

She was a flawless and captivating entertainer, but after singing a forbidden song she found in the Royal Museum, both her memory and singing functions were disabled, and she lost her ability to sing. Dejected, she abandons her humanoid body and joins the National Extradimensional Exploratory Task Force, leaving Avalon.

Like all mechs Diva can change her abilities and techs by changing which armaments she has equipped, but she can also change body type which might grant different roles or techs depending on which body type you're using.

i3Mx7e4.jpeg

1QuVGof.jpeg

Siugnas
baKZLPJ.jpeg

Character Trailer

After being removed from his throne by someone or something's betrayal, he awakes to find himself in Brighthome, a world where fallen warriors gather. He is recruited into the king's band of warriors called the Generals and sent to fight in a chaotic battle against invaders. But how did he, an immortal, end up in a world where only the dead can go? Together with fellow members of the generals, he begins a journey to regain his abilities as the Dismal King.

jbQutf8.jpeg

Siugnas is the games only Vampire, which gives him the same abilities as other human races but also access to unique Sanguine Arts that consume LP (life points, the series system for governing whether or not your characters can participate in battles). In addition to this, consuming party members LP will grant additional Sanguine Arts and also put them into a thrall state. Granting these thralls Sanguine Gear will turn them instead into your Knights, who can use Sanguine Roles+Arts, but at the cost of any special racial traits they had before. Removing this gear will permanently reduce this party member to 1LP and make them a Wastrel who can no longer use these powerful abilities, learn new spells or glimmer techs, so make sure you choose wisely.

p0arMhu.jpeg

giWVOFr.jpeg

Bonny Blair & Formina Franklyn

j9KTrN3.jpeg

Character Trailer

Former marine Bonnie Blair and renowned sharpshooter Formina Franklyn are two police officers working together to find the truth behind the assassination attempt on the President of Capitol City, a world studded with skyscrapers.

With the claim of a key person of interest in the case that the president is a traitor and a mysterious triangle piece as their only clues, they set off on a journey through other worlds to uncover the hidden truth behind the incident.

WAEC4MH.jpeg

Unless I've missed it we don't really know as much about this scenario as most of the others, so we'll have to see what unique element the dual protagonists bring us!

Tsunanori Mido

NKpknRR.jpeg

Character Trailer

Tsunanori comes from the long lineage of the important Mido family of Miyako City, a world filled with traditional, old-fashioned city streets that sprawl out from the central Gokakudo Temple. He can control kugutsu, or animated puppets, which bear their own will.

The last great war destroyed the old societal and spiritual orders alike. Ever since, Miyako City has been plagued with all kinds of supernatural phenomena. Tsunanori is selected for the Cathedral Project to investigate other worlds and restore order to the spiritual realm. With the kugutsu accompanying him, he sets out on a journey to other worlds to find four elemental spirits to accomplish his task.

Tsunanori alone is able to imbue the puppet like Kugutsu with additional roles learned from defeating enemies, and starts with a full retinue outfit of them. However Kugutsu can not glimmer new techniques and will be dependant on mimicking the moves from other enemies or allies in the middle of battle.

Ameya Aisling

Y5rGVy1.jpeg

Character Trailer

Ameya visits Miyako City from the Witchdom Pulchra, a world ruled by witches, as part of her witchterms.

While in Miyako City, she assumes the identity of an 11-year-old schoolgirl named Yumeha Izumi and lives with her cat familiar, LoLo. But after being attacked by an unknown man, she loses her magic powers completely.

Will Ameya be able to get her magical powers back and pass her witchterms?

Ameya will grow her magical stats by finding cats which seem to be manifestations of her lost magic. Go to many worlds and find the cats, while also trying to pass your witchterms with flashy heroics that produce mana when witnessed by others!

Your Retinue
yVg8Iaa.gif

Your retinue will grow across the worlds you visit and as outcomes to the choices you make during the branching scenarios. Your active party consists of 5 members, with Emerald Beyond now introducing a sixth support member who can grant various buffs to accommodate your teams strategy! Enjoy a huge variety of races and unique characters like mechs, monsters, kugutsu puppets, cats, moles, werewolves, witches, pirates, bug like aliens, living plants, scarecrows, and more. When a character has 0 LP they can no longer participate in battle, so switch around your characters if in need and let the backline heal up. (Ephemerals are a unique monster race that will actually be reborn when they hit 0 LP, passing down techs and spells to the next generation)

Worlds
EyPZvQ0.jpeg

There are 17 explorable worlds in SaGa Emerald Beyond. A world of darkness that Siugnas once ruled, a world of witches who live an unfettered existence in exchange for a cruel fate, the skyscraper studded Capitol City, a cellular sized microcosm, a sci-fi land of progress with thanks to something called triangle theory, the Valhalla like land of unending fighting, a dead desert world filled with dead machines and scarecrows that serve no purpose, an ocean world filled with pirates, a plant world centered around a blooming flower and the unending cycle of life... and many more are waiting!

The Battle System

Like its predecessor (SaGa Scarlet Grace), Emerald Beyond features a turn based timeline battle system in which you will develop a strategy each turn before confirming your actions. Learning to both offensively and defensively take advantage of each units position in the timeline is absolutely critical to success in what can be a challenging and demanding system. Your retinue will have access to a host of moves but at the cost of ⭐ Battle Points (BP), the resource shared across your characters to decide which moves to use each round. Different formations for your party can change how you accrue BP, effects of magic or techs, attributes such as attack, defence and speed, etc. New to Emerald Beyond is the method of creating "United Attacks", important combos that are triggered by having moves with a green timeline range link your characters together.

IcLLU1B.jpeg

In this case you can see the move buckshot has a green 3 beneath the ⭐x3 BP cost, which means it has a range of 3. On the timeline as well you can see the green bars positioned, so that if you were to select Bonnie and give her a move with a range of at least 1, these two characters would be enjoined in a combo. Similarly the cat to your right is in immediate range as well, and you could even potentially have Formina join you by delaying the enemy in front of her, or selecting a quicker acting move that positions her before the enemy. The possibilities for characters moving is great with a number of moves that affect players or enemies, and special conditional techs such as chain attacks which move you behind another character on the timeline, pursuits which position you after an enemy, or defeating an enemy in the middle of a combo introducing a character to the combo that otherwise hadn't been a part of it. The tactical depth to the battles is fantastic, as not only do you have access to all these abilities and strategies but so too do your enemies. Prevent them from being positioned together or else you will be on the receiving end of a deadly United Attack! You might think this would make boss encounters easier to manage but you must still be wary, as Showstoppers are combos performed by a single unit when they are given sufficient space alone on the timeline, depleting their BP to unleash as many moves as possible. And of course, you yourself can make use of these Showstoppers!

The "techs" you learn are dependant on the weapons you use in battle. I believe these are the weapon categories for the game:

2-Handed Swords (greatswords, katanas, and polearms)
1-handed blades (longswords, short swords, daggers and axes)
1-handed guns (equipping two let's you use the dual gun wielding tech Guns Akimbo)
2-handed guns
Martial Arts

Using a category of weapon will increase your proficiency, and the likeliness that when facing a sufficiently strong opponent and with thanks to RNGesus, you will "glimmer" (💡) a new tech in the midst of battle! It can be exhilarating to only win a difficult encounter by getting a new tech to glimmer, maybe even having it move you into position for a combo! Similarly it can be devastating to have a glimmered tech move you out of position and ruin a carefully planned combo lol. Increasing the level of a tech makes it stronger and can even decrease the ⭐BP cost.

VkkVKAt.jpeg

Different characters and races might have unique mechanics as alluded to already throughout this post, or otherwise. For example "Monsters" like cats can't equip weapons but those they were born with like their claws, but they can equip accessories, or by equipping relics they can absorb other monsters and their special techs. Humans are the most versatile group probably by virtue of being able to glimmer and also equip two different weapons on top of that, but many other races and characters promise to have fun and unique ways of developing them. All races except mechs can learn spells but I'm not sure how those mechanics work just yet!

And that's all I've got. I hope you enjoy the game! There's more systems and choices than you can shake a stick at, and some pretty sweet music and great art and fun humor and out there scenarios and crazy characters to come across. Here's a fun character moment I saw on Reddit (LOUD):

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/PJWwG1Xmr4Y?si=FqpySeNfVF5OUaYT

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Great OT, Jaken! I don't know when I'll have time to play the game (I'm literally overburdened by RPGs right now) but I'm gonna snag a Steam copy to support the franchise, even if Scarlet Grace was way too hard for me.

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Pretty long winded OP and I wrote it up on my phone so I'm sorry if it looks bad. I saw reviews were dropping and figured I should try to get the thread out. Busy this morning so I can't collect them all just yet, but I see some 7s and 8s for those that care. RPG Site considered Scarlet Grace their GOTY 2019, though, which means as the only site worth looking at they are the expert and they seem to like the new one as well.

Mar 11, 2020
Awesome OT! I love you did a writeup on each protag seeing as they seem to be making them very unique even play wise this game.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to play. From what I understand the PC version unlocks tomorrow at noon or tonight at Midnight right?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, to finish my Mido game from the demo or start over with a character I actually care about...................

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Here is my outlet's review. Our biggest critique was the story being weak but gameplay and the music are incredible

Console Creatures - Recommended
Hmm, not being able to return to worlds is very interesting. I think it's a bit of an overcorrection of Scarlet Grace.

I can imagine a lot of people got lost when the game pretty much goes hands off when it comes to progression.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Still debating whether I'll be there on launch but I'm definitely going for the Dismal King. Gimme my monster man harem.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty long winded OP and I wrote it up on my phone so I'm sorry if it looks bad. I saw reviews were dropping and figured I should try to get the thread out. Busy this morning so I can't collect them all just yet, but I see some 7s and 8s for those that care. RPG Site considered Scarlet Grace their GOTY 2019, though, which means as the only site worth looking at they are the expert and they seem to like the new one as well.

Thanks for the OP🙂I think it looks great and after reading it's more difficult for me to decide who to play first😂

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
SE preemptively banning their own games locally(the game is banned in 6 countries in Steam) is something I don't understand considering stuff like Baldur's Gate is available worldwide, they did the same for True Colors smh.

oh well .. seems like a game I will never play I guess.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's having mixed reviews, but it's SaGa, it's a very divisive series. I will be there, tho.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
SaGa is a series where if you Get It, You Get It, and If You Don't, You Don't, and unfortunately for a lot of reviewers, They Don't. Let's take a moment of silence for the lack of taste on their part.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Mixed reviews and SaGa games, name a more iconic duo~ 💁‍♂️

I like that SaGa is weird and challenging.

Mar 11, 2020
SaGa is a series where if you Get It, You Get It, and If You Don't, You Don't, and unfortunately for a lot of reviewers, They Don't. Let's take a moment of silence for the lack of taste on their part.
Lol it's a hard series to recommend too unless i know someone that loves combat mechanics and toying around with them.

Yeah that's just always been the case with SaGa games, you either love them or hate them pretty much.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Hmm, not being able to return to worlds is very interesting. I think it's a bit of an overcorrection of Scarlet Grace.

I can imagine a lot of people got lost when the game pretty much goes hands off when it comes to progression.
So I bounced off the demo surprisingly hard, because it felt like the game is overcorrecting for so many "Saga-isms". I felt like I was on a leash the whole time, and worst of all I could SEE the leash.

That just ain't what I come to Saga for, even when the combat is phenomenal.

I really want the game to succeed and will be following this OT with interest, despite not getting it myself.

I'm curious to see how this "clearer" presentation resonates with fans.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto

Yeah I can see why a lot of people drop off the series. I usually recommend SaGa Frontier as an introduction.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Damn NoisyPixel gave this a 5.5. I'm not surprised though. I don't think this will review very well for the most part. Or get reviews actually.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KWUA1Sk98SA&&pp=ygUac2FnYSBlbWVyYWxkIGJleW9uZCByZXZpZXc%3D

Recommending Re;Universe for a modern SaGa experience is very odd. It's an AFK lite gacha game that lacks the strategic depth they wanted more of. You play with Auto on 95% of the time. There's also zero exploration, it's just a crazy amount of grinding.

Mar 11, 2020
Damn NoisyPixel gave this a 5.5. I'm not surprised though. I don't think this will review very well for the most part. Or get reviews actually.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KWUA1Sk98SA&&pp=ygUac2FnYSBlbWVyYWxkIGJleW9uZCByZXZpZXc%3D

Lol just watched it and all their complains are like positives for a SaGa game for me. Also idk how they said all their mages died constantly, that seems odd if they played far enough at least in SG you had to manipulate turn orders to be able to cast effectively and i assume it's the same here since this is basically SG2

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The art style for this game grabs my attention so strongly, but I haven't played a SaGa since I was much younger. Going to monitor reviews and impressions over the next few days…

mookie1515

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Great OT! I really want to find time to get and play this. It would be my first SaGa game, and seems to be a good starting point.

Shiki

Nov 30, 2017
So conflicted about this one. After playing the demo multiples times, I *love* the combat and music. Main character designs are also very inspired and they intrigue me.

But i despise absolutely everything else about it. The weird pop up book visuals, the vacuous characters/npcs and nonsense story.

I guess I'll wait and see how the full game turns out later on. I could possibly ignore the rest if combat is that solid throughout.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
So conflicted about this one. After playing the demo multiples times, I *love* the combat and music. Main character designs are also very inspired and they intrigue me.

But i despise absolutely everything else about it. The weird pop up book visuals, the vacuous characters/npcs and nonsense story.

I guess I'll wait and see how the full game turns out later on. I could possibly ignore the rest if combat is that solid throughout.
I'm curious, did you play Scarlet Grace at all? If so, how did you feel about it?

Reviews New
OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Shacknews - 9/10
This is a game that wants you to tinker and fail, before you "get it". It's also a game explicitly designed to be different every time you pick it up. With its disregard for convention and disinterest in "quality of life" guidelines, you could have a rough start. But there's so much going on under the hood, so much charm in its presentation and fearlessness in its design, it's easy to recommend even to folks who might be looking at me like a weirdo right now. SaGa Emerald Beyond comes with caveats like any other JRPG that isn't the usual Final Fantasy or Persona blockbuster, but those caveats are in service of an experience you won't find anywhere else.

RPG Site - 9/10

I feel that's a tough ask for the average RPG fan; and it makes recommending Emerald Beyond to those unversed in Kawazu's picture of the RPG a difficult proposition. For anyone that's already a fan of SaGa, however, it was never really a question if Emerald Beyond would be for you. This is a SaGa for SaGa fans, and in truth I couldn't be happier any other way.

RPG Fan - 81/100

SaGa Emerald Beyond isn't what I expected. The initial trailers made me think it would be SaGa Scarlet Grace with more of a budget and the return of many beloved series elements. I thought it might even end up being the most SaGa game to ever SaGa. Instead, it feels more like SaGa Scarlet Grace done differently. I am happy to see many of the wackier elements of SaGa make a return, but I still very much miss being able to traverse dungeons, go to shops, and talk to the townsfolk. Despite the ways SaGa Emerald Beyond doesn't click for me, it is impossible to deny the sheer genius of its addicting combat system or the creativity of its developers. I don't think SaGa Emerald Beyond will convince anyone who didn't like the series to give it another go, but it is worth playing for fans and potential fans alike.

PSX Brasil - 80/100

SaGa Emerald Beyond is another good step for the series, evolving the ideas seen in its predecessor and delivering a fun RPG based on freedom and challenge. A few missteps prevent it from being even more memorable, but it's a game that will please both fans of the series and curious newcomers.

Worth Playing - 8.0/10 (I really enjoyed reading this one)

SaGa: Emerald Beyond is easily one of the most accessible and easy-to-play SaGa games ever released, making it a solid evolution over SaGa: Scarlet Graces with an improved combat system and more focused area design. At heart, it's still a SaGa game, and that means it is frequently obscure, often confusing, and is unashamed of making you miss content without explaining why. Combine that with the low-budget visuals, and it seems like it's destined to be a love-it-or-hate-it game. Despite that, if you're curious about SaGa, Emerald Beyond is probably the best place to start to see if the eccentric series is right for you.

Gaming Trend 75/100

SaGa Emerald Beyond is a fun experience with new mechanics and many ways to play. With five different characters with their own stories, it's a fun time to run around fighting a flurry of monsters, demons, and more. While things might get a bit repetitive at times, many will find it a blast trying out the different formations, United Attacks, and more.

Hey Poor Player 3.5/5

Square Enix's addition to the SaGa series is a bit of a mixed bag. On one hand, you've got its storytelling and exploration mechanics—both of which feel strangely placed, and neither of which gives the proper amount of freedom that you'd expect from a SaGa title. Its masterful approach to combat, however, ensures that you'll never have a dull moment when it comes to duking it out with the baddies—or even when setting up your own team! SaGa Emerald Beyond isn't "middle-of-the-road" by any means. It's a mixture of good and not-so-good. However, as long as you go into things knowing that, you'll probably still have a pretty good time.

siliconera - 7/10

SaGa: Emerald Beyond often feels like a solid, if not occasionally uneven and awkward, Saturday morning cartoon due to its variety, goofy writing, constant action, and lovable characters.

GamersRD 7/10

This is a JRPG where each new game will not be the same, due to the plot that involves 6 characters. The combat system is demanding but fun. Graphically it feels outdated, but the soundtrack makes up for it. Recommended for lovers of the SaGa franchise and role-playing games.

CG Magazine - 7/10

SaGa: Emerald Beyond is a strong entry in Square Enix's most bizarre franchise. It may not be the best introduction to the series, but it's filled with wacky characters, fascinating stories, and an incredible combat system.

Nintendo Life - 7/10 (seemingly confirms no JP audio for Switch)

SaGa Emerald Beyond has a deep and satisfying combat system that gets its hooks into you from the jump. There's a lot of narrative content across its five adventures, as well as a diverse collection of characters, but very little that truly grips the attention.

Console Creatures - Recommended

SaGa Emerald Beyond is a challenging throwback that hardcore veteran players will feel at home with. Casual fans should probably stay clear of it; with a lack of difficulty settings, gameplay can be a wildcard to recommend as an introductory title with an unpredictable range of easy to brutal fights players will surely deal with. What SaGa Emerald Beyond excels well at is its fantastic soundtrack and its approach to gameplay.

Noisy Pixel - 5.5/10

SaGa Emerald Beyond doesn't do the series any favors in delivering a more straightforward SaGa experience. Still, you'll never be confused about how to progress; you'll only be confused about everything else. Through the weak character introductions, lack of context missions, and difficulty spikes, I couldn't get into this adventure. As a fan of the series, I don't know who this is catering to. While I found some glimmer of fun in the strategical depth of the battle system, I doubt enough players will stick around to discover it or even care enough to play longer than the first hour. I want more SaGa, but this isn't the direction the series should take. If you're looking for an accessible and modern SaGa, stick to Romancing SaGa Re: Universe.

Nintendo World Report - 5/10

It's a shame that SaGa Emerald Beyond doesn't stick the landing outside of the enjoyable turn-based combat because it's still a fascinating and distinct series. I wish I was more engaged in the story, because the potential of bouncing between 17 worlds and criss-crossing replayed stories sounds cool. It just doesn't coalesce into something all that fun. Maybe the SaGa series is something best left to ports and remakes.

norn

Oct 26, 2017
the Shacknews review is really good, and the accompanying small Q&A done by the author is a solid little companion piece.

www.shacknews.com

Akitoshi Kawazu and the SaGa Emerald Beyond team discuss the latest (and weirdest) Square Enix RPG

A new SaGa adventure is right around the corner, and we got to ask the game's leadership a few questions!

word on the street is that bonnie & formina are our leonard or lute this time around; the protagonist(s) with the most freedom. grain of salt on that though

Mar 11, 2020
the Shacknews review is really good, and the accompanying small Q&A done by the author is a solid little companion piece.

www.shacknews.com

Akitoshi Kawazu and the SaGa Emerald Beyond team discuss the latest (and weirdest) Square Enix RPG

A new SaGa adventure is right around the corner, and we got to ask the game's leadership a few questions!

word on the street is that bonnie & formina are our leonard or lute this time around; the protagonist(s) with the most freedom. grain of salt on that though
Oh, i may not do them first then, that helps my decision of who to start with

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Lol just watched it and all their complains are like positives for a SaGa game for me. Also idk how they said all their mages died constantly, that seems odd if they played far enough at least in SG you had to manipulate turn orders to be able to cast effectively and i assume it's the same here since this is basically SG2
I never fully understood how to optimally use magic. In SG I always had that nagging feeling that I was wasting a turn, even when once the spell was cast it did nasty damage.

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Thank you everyone for the kind words about the thread! I was indeed nervous about making an OT even for a lower profile game like this haha, but I wanted somewhere to discuss the release and share lots of the fun art and other pre release materials I've been enjoying. I hope everyone enjoys the game and that interested parties can understand some of the passion from us fans of the series and garner new interest in the game and series. I will never forget the duckroll thread (at the old place maybe?) being my motivation to really get into the series and especially Scarlet Grace, and that kind of passion for the series is easy to understand once it gets its hooks into you. It's unapproachable and unapologetically different to the norms of game design language, and I would absolutely not have it any other way. It is definitely not for everyone, but it's incredible that it can continue to be what it is for those of us that love it!

www.shacknews.com

Ooh I hadn't seen the interview. I like this response about the localization:

The thing that stuck out to me immediately when I first got a playable build of the game was that the characters came off sounding very colloquial and casual. Unlike many RPGs, SaGa Emerald Beyond's storyline doesn't take itself overly seriously, and that irreverent tone is very clear in the Japanese game. As such, when localizing the game, I wanted the localization team to let loose and deviate from stuffy, trope-y fantasy RPG language and deliver something modern and casual that isn't afraid to say, "This game is a little bit silly." That's what the Japanese audience would be experiencing, after all!

I know the localization is undergoing some scrutiny, especially with the voice acting, but I've absolutely loved it. For a series that embraces its weirdness, this localization has felt absolutely full of character and with a unique voice unlike any other entry. The accents, the heckin' vernacular, the whimsical and irreverent dialogue interactions... It is very silly and fun, and I think a perfect match for the series which has always had such briskly paced scenarios that have often been like "look at this cool event, okay next". I have said it many times but I appreciate how much Neil has personally been doing to bring some awareness to the franchise recently, but I've got to say as well I just really appreciate the localization itself!

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how I'm gonna fit this in with everything, but I'm really looking forward to it.

I was already leaning towards them, this might push me to start with them. I want to try the more open route after Urpina's guided one.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished my first run of Scarlet Grace and I don't think I have the energy to do another long full run right now even though I want to finish them all (was my favorite part of frontier!). Moving on to this, I think and then coming back.

I can easily see why Kawazu wanted each run in Emerald Beyond to be shorter now. Encourage people to play more characters rather than just doing one big run and getting burnt out on the whole thing.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
It's worth noting that there was an insane amount of variation present in each world even during Diva's demo, and each world seems to be different for each main character. Like three different potential final bosses in her first world. So each run may be shorter but there's far higher replay value compared to Scarlet Grace where everything basically plays out the same for everyone after the first third of the game.

Mar 11, 2020
I never fully understood how to optimally use magic. In SG I always had that nagging feeling that I was wasting a turn, even when once the spell was cast it did nasty damage.
Mostly in SG it was about chaining to effectively lock enemies down with chains and utilizing spells not just for damage but for utility. Getting spells ranked up was pretty key too so they cost less bp

I think i usually always had one or two spell casters in each party.

I never really had a prob with them dying before getting spells off unles the whole party was struggling

Last edited:

Shiki

Nov 30, 2017
I'm curious, did you play Scarlet Grace at all? If so, how did you feel about it?

I did not play scarlet grace, almost did a few times but something else came up every time.

I had the same reservations about it though. Combat looked awesome but everything else just doesnt grab me (at least at first glance)