• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which character will you be starting with?

• Diva No. 5

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • Siugnas the Dismal King

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Bonnie Blair & Formina Franklyn

Votes: 25 33.3%
  • Tsunanori Mido

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Ameya Aisling

Votes: 8 10.7%

• Total voters

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
From what I'm reading, there's a lot of replay value here, even with the same character. It sounds like there are some events that will only happen on repeat playthroughs. Love this kind of idea for a short but high replay JRPG.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, while it bothered me at first in Scarlet Grace, no healing isn't an issue when you find out how to defeat everything fast and make use of blockers to mitigate damage. The heal is after the battle.

I do think it would be more interesting if mixed in properly, but it all works fine without it.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
An example of how scenarios change betwixt characters/playthroughs: In Tsunanori's path, when I got to Grelon, everyone was having nightmares about the Final Emperor, but in Ameya's path, everyone is having pleasant dreams about the Final Emperor. The actual mechanics are the same (run around with the kid to unfreeze people) though.

(Unfortunately, Grelon is the least interesting world I've visited so having to do it basically twice in a row is kinda.... At least the vibe is a bit different!)

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Launch trailer came out! Nothing very exciting about it to be honest but yeah.

View: https://youtu.be/r_L1X8Pn4CU?si=9xxbxzVU_OXilYBF

An example of how scenarios change betwixt characters/playthroughs: In Tsunanori's path, when I got to Grelon, everyone was having nightmares about the Final Emperor, but in Ameya's path, everyone is having pleasant dreams about the Final Emperor. The actual mechanics are the same (run around with the kid to unfreeze people) though.

(Unfortunately, Grelon is the least interesting world I've visited so having to do it basically twice in a row is kinda.... At least the vibe is a bit different!)
I could easily be wrong at this point but I'm not sure that's how Grelon works. In the Ameya demo I had a very even mixture of people with nightmares and people with dreams. BECAUSE of this I intentionally sought only nightmare havers in my Mido playthrough (for example I remembered the mayor to the right having a good dream, so did not unfreeze them). But I also had quite good luck or intuition because it's true I didn't even have to reset to accomplish this, so maybe I thought I was gaming it in a way it was already disposed to happen?

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

When I did Ameya's route in the demo, it was a mix of dreams and nightmares in Grelon.

The FuzzPig

Oct 31, 2017
Playing as that dismal king dude.
Leaves the first world.
Hmmmm, that one eyed monster looks vaguely familiar?
Mr S? The teacher from the second game all the way back on the game boy? That was his name right!

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
💀

What kind of RPG is this?
SaGa games heavily deemphasize healing becuase it basically ends up taking up a mandatory slot (don't like your healer? Too bad, you're probably going to have to use them anyway unless you want the game to be fifty percent harder) in other JRPGs and ends up demanding its use, SaGa has always been really good at pacing becuase it keeps things going at a quick pace rather than being slowed down doing maintenance on your party in between battles. Its all about making careful decisions and burning down your enemies as fast as possible, not trying to outlast them through turtling or buffs. There ARE healing spells in Scarlet Grace but they're kind of a trap and you're better off staying on the offensive.

Diva has made me realize Captain America would be a much better character if his shield doubled as a circular saw.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I forgot this was coming out today. I had restarted my lapsed first run of Scarlet Grace earlier this year, and then Rise of the Ronin and real life took a lot of my time. Why is all this good stuff dropping at the same time! I feel like I at least need to finish one run of SG before I get this. Very excited to dive into it though.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I forgot this was coming out today. I had restarted my lapsed first run of Scarlet Grace earlier this year, and then Rise of the Ronin and real life took a lot of my time. Why is all this good stuff dropping at the same time! I feel like I at least need to finish one run of SG before I get this. Very excited to dive into it though.
Emerald Beyond's battle system is still pretty fresh despite just coming off of Grace myself too.

United attacks function nothing like they did before, killing enemies wedged between two party members seems to do nothing.

Rather its now about linking attacks together on the timeline to build combos and fill a gauge that will result in "overdrive" if its reaches 200%.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Enjoying the full game on release continuing from the Diva PC demo. I don't understand like half the mechanics but still getting by. Mostly just don't know what I should be upgrading and how important are stats. Haven't upgraded any gear yet. And basically just left default combo formation for every battle so far since I don't quite understand some of the other formations.

Like I got
Dolores from the DIsmal King zone
and their stats are in the 20s whereas my characters I'd be replacing them with in my party are more like stats 26-30s. The only real benefit of that character is they start with 5 in sword techs and start with a good 4 star interrupt. Not sure if that interrupt is specific to that character. Or if there's anything unique about acquired characters.

On the 3rd world and going to restart a new save and play the first couple of hours with another one of the characters to see how similar the main game is after the starting zones. If the game is going to be mostly the same across routes just with different dialogues, probably not going to replay the whole thing with everyone, so need to figure out who I actually want to use.

This is the first SaGa game I'm playing on release before there's years of guides explaining everything. Dunno if that's a pro or a con.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
United attacks function nothing like they did before, killing enemies wedged between two party members seems to do nothing.

The second party member can join into an on-going combo of the first party member group if this happens.

Rather its now about linking attacks together on the timeline to build combos and fill a gauge that will result in "overdrive" if its reaches 200%.

Pretty sure overdrive kicks in at 150%? I haven't hit 200% yet.

Emerald Beyond's battle system is still pretty fresh despite just coming off of Grace myself too.

I never could get into Scarlet Grace, but planning on playing it after Emerald, figuring Emerald will be a good way of getting the hang of some of Scarlet Grace's unique structure/mechanics coming from older SaGa games.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
This is the first SaGa game I'm playing on release before there's years of guides explaining everything. Dunno if that's a pro or a con.
Honestly prob the one of the best way to experience it first hand and self discover for yourself. The satisfaction of figuring it all out absolutely fresh is exhilarating, or frustrating depending on who you ask. I believe that's one of the appeals of SaGa for me. Throwing the conventional thinking out and learning the systems and quirks of the world Kawazu has for each title.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
One thing I don't get is, you do a combo and get overdrive and sometimes not everyone goes again? But sometimes they all go again?

i.e. five person combo, hits overdrive, first three characters go again and then it's over and the enemy has a turn even though the last two characters didn't go twice.

I also don't understand the attack techs that fall under protect, but don't seem to have any covering/deflecting/parry aspect?

And occasionally my techs are greyed out even if I have enough BP. Not sure why.

ATXAlchemy

Nov 1, 2017
I find monster summon attack thing to be honestly annoying.

I also don't understand the attack techs that fall under protect, but don't seem to have any covering/deflecting/parry aspect?
Unless they added a new Protect mechanic in SagaEme, all Protect Skills are targeted.

If the protect target isn't attacked, you won't see it. If you have spare BP for protect, put it on your Casters to prevent them from potential stuns.
They're basically just "guarding" while redirecting damage from your selected ally. Also works against AoE.

And occasionally my techs are greyed out even if I have enough BP. Not sure why.

Are those skills Interrupt based or something?

They changed it so that you can't use an interrupt if it can't interrupt anything that turn.

I'm too lazy to boot up SSG to check but IIRC it didn't show the attributes the enemy attacks had.
So you had this knowledge-test/guessing game aspect where you have to know/guess what attributes the enemy has.
Frogs for example generally use Blunt attacks.

I do like that aspect but I guess more casual users have a harder time with this so they streamlined it.

I never could get into Scarlet Grace, but planning on playing it after Emerald, figuring Emerald will be a good way of getting the hang of some of Scarlet Grace's unique structure/mechanics coming from older SaGa games.

They have the same core idea but play vastly different. Especially the united attacks.

SSG can have way better highs because, by design, high-chain combos are waaaay harder to do.
And you can't always do it, which helps making gameplay be less monotonous (AKA "united attacks is always the goal").
Some scenarios also pretty much prevents united attack, like solo bosses, outside of your units dying.

On topic of death, that's also another "high", IMO.
Have you ever had a win because someone died?
I thought I was gonna get wiped out, then only one person dies, which initiates a 4-ally united attack.
Dead enemy. Was pleasantly surprised. Felt good.

I've only played 2 hours of SagaEme so far but I personally like SSG more.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Started playing my first run as Siugnas. After the initial segment, world selection is immediately interesting…. This is gonna be so peak

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
The second party member can join into an on-going combo of the first party member group if this happens.

Pretty sure overdrive kicks in at 150%? I haven't hit 200% yet.

Overdrive has a chance to proc at 150 but isn't guarnteed unless it hits 200.

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
So yeah I finished my Mido run at 11 hours last night, very cool. My favorite part of the final battle is literally the very last move in my fight was glimmering my very first counterattack ability, meaning I got the hype tutorial announcer as the "final boss" died haha. It definitely ended feeling like there's more going on here, whether it's something through other protag playthrough or multiple playthroughs I don't know, but I can understand how some reviews acted like they didn't know what happens. Unlike those reviews treating it as a negative though, I'm just very intrigued to continue playing and seeing how and if the game addresses the gaps in the narrative.

Started Siugnas this morning 🧛 I wonder if anyone can help me, across both Mido and now Siugnas I have done the Mr S challenge "2 Star Slugger" numerous times and have not been able to get it to clear. The wording doesn't feel that confusing but there must be something I'm missing. It says to only use 2+⭐BP techs and so I... I do that. Every move is 2+⭐BP. But I never clear it T_T

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, damn. The save data import from the demo didn't work. That sucks. Oh well. At least I didn't put that much time into it.

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Oh, damn. The save data import from the demo didn't work. That sucks. Oh well. At least I didn't put that much time into it.
This is on PC I take it? I can't pretend to understand what any of this means but there was a reddit post about it. That might help you if you did want the transfer.

I hope you're able to enjoy this one more than Scarlet Grace! Iirc you mentioned falling off Urpina's route when going under the castle in that one city maybe, which was a pretty early choke point in that game difficulty wise. So far I think the consensus might be that EB is on the whole a bit easier to get to grips with, though I do think there's a bit of a more chaotic element that can make battles almost unpredictable sometimes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is on PC I take it? I can't pretend to understand what any of this means but there was a reddit post about it. That might help you if you did want the transfer.

I hope you're able to enjoy this one more than Scarlet Grace! Iirc you mentioned falling off Urpina's route when going under the castle in that one city maybe, which was a pretty early choke point in that game difficulty wise. So far I think the consensus might be that EB is on the whole a bit easier to get to grips with, though I do think there's a bit of a more chaotic element that can make battles almost unpredictable sometimes.

Yeah, I think the problem has to do with the save data sync between the demo and Steam Cloud, as well as my Steam Deck and my desktop PC. I could still see my demo save on the demo on the Steam Deck, but it looks like it never synced to the cloud and got beamed to my PC. So when I booted the full game up for the first time on my desktop, the game didn't have a demo to refer to and that was the origin of my Steam Cloud sync for the full game, ignoring the demo save on my Deck.

It's fine, I'm not gonna throw a fit about it, I very deliberately stopped pretty early in Diva's path so I won't have to redo more than a couple battles. Right now I have Eiyuden to finish so I probably won't start in earnest for a while but I want to make sure I support the franchise.

ATXAlchemy

Nov 1, 2017
Tsunanori be like "I'm the only MC-like around here."

Nah, man. This guy fucks.
uvkXi6t.png

Seriously, though... Wanted to avoid Diva5 on first playthrough, and I wasn't feeling Siugnas/Bonnie&Clyde. So it was a choice between Ameiya and Tsunanori. Was leaning towards Tsunanori coz puppeteer... then he droped that line and I'm like "yeah no".

No Rugrats.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Man... I need to put a pin in this game to buy it when I have the time to stick with it.

Yeah, I think the problem has to do with the save data sync between the demo and Steam Cloud, as well as my Steam Deck and my desktop PC. I could still see my demo save on the demo on the Steam Deck, but it looks like it never synced to the cloud and got beamed to my PC. So when I booted the full game up for the first time on my desktop, the game didn't have a demo to refer to and that was the origin of my Steam Cloud sync for the full game, ignoring the demo save on my Deck.
Yeah, if you were playing the demo on your Steam Deck, that'd explain it.

Short explanation, the Steam Deck's "Windows games on Linux" setup means that every game has its own "sandbox" of folders to put things like save files into. So on Linux, the full game can't see the demo's save files, because they're isolated from each other. And I'm guessing the demo doesn't use cloud saves at all.
If you want, I could walk you through getting those demo save files so they can be transferred to the full game. It's a pretty simple process.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Just started the game as Tsunanori, I love how he's the only one who talks like an anime character. The localization is great.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if you were playing the demo on your Steam Deck, that'd explain it.

Short explanation, the Steam Deck's "Windows games on Linux" setup means that every game has its own "sandbox" of folders to put things like save files into. So, on Linux the full game can't see the demo's save files, because they're isolated from each other.
If you want, I could walk you through getting those demo save files so they can be transferred to the full game.

It's cool. I appreciate the offer but I'm just gonna move on and start a fresh playthrough when I'm ready to start playing. I only did the first, I wanna say...5 battles as Diva so I'm not really missing all that much if I choose to start with her again. And if I pick any of the other protagonists I'd be starting from square 0 anyway! It's all good.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
They have the same core idea but play vastly different. Especially the united attacks.

SSG can have way better highs because, by design, high-chain combos are waaaay harder to do.
And you can't always do it, which helps making gameplay be less monotonous (AKA "united attacks is always the goal").
Some scenarios also pretty much prevents united attack, like solo bosses, outside of your units dying.

On topic of death, that's also another "high", IMO.
Have you ever had a win because someone died?
I thought I was gonna get wiped out, then only one person dies, which initiates a 4-ally united attack.
Dead enemy. Was pleasantly surprised. Felt good.

I've only played 2 hours of SagaEme so far but I personally like SSG more.
Showstoppers let you win due to an ally death much more commonly than you could in SSG.

But yeah, I've played ~6 hours of a Diva run plus the demos on each platform and I think I'm with you preferring SSG. It's still better than damn near every other JRPG battle system, but Unite Attacks/Showstoppers are so powerful and easy to pull off that it feels like you're pigeonholed into a single playstyle, and fighting single enemies doesn't really feel very different from groups.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Does ranking up techs really make much of a difference? I swear rank II tech is the same but has like 1 point of higher damage which isn't much.

So yeah I finished my Mido run at 11 hours last night, very cool.

Is that doing all 17 worlds? My understanding of the structure from trying Diva and Tsunanori is after the unique openings they all have access to the rest of the worlds and only a few are required to advance/finish their storyline but you can do all 17 worlds.

If it's ~11ish hours for all 17 worlds, which means if you speedrun just the required worlds, maybe a 4-5 hour run, that's pretty good for quick replays.

I kind of feel like since every world I've done so far only has two choices per event that after playing through the game twice and choosing the opposite choices, you've pretty much seen all the story/writing in the game outside the unique main story points for each character, so by run 3 probably will just do the main required worlds for each character while picking up a few characters for my party from other worlds if I really like them.

How long was a single run in Scarlet Grace in comparison?

Overdrive has a chance to proc at 150 but isn't guarnteed unless it hits 200.

Oh, that explains why sometimes it doesn't proc. Seems a high rate though, pretty rare my combos at 150% aren't going into overdrive.

Showstoppers let you win due to an ally death much more commonly than you could in SSG.

But yeah, I've played ~6 hours of a Diva run plus the demos on each platform and I think I'm with you preferring SSG. It's still better than damn near every other JRPG battle system, but Unite Attacks/Showstoppers are so powerful and easy to pull off that it feels like you're pigeonholed into a single playstyle, and fighting single enemies doesn't really feel very different from groups.

I feel like showstoppers are more useful for certain characters. In Diva's run I've pulled off a few and it just does 2-3 normal attacks and doesn't make much of a difference. But in the intro of the magic girl, where she's firing off rapid high damage spells that seemed to be way more OP.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Also, I tried this on Steam Deck for the first time last night and really impressed at how well it runs. Super smooth and great looking. Which coming from the Switch demo is a night and day. PC version is excellent.

1z2OjzNl.jpg

What does Tech Order + 1 mean?

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Could anyone who's played this on Steam Deck tell me how the performance is?

I heard the Switch version was weaker based on the demo, which rules out that version. But ideally I'd like to play this on the go instead of on console, since I have the others on Switch.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
I feel like showstoppers are more useful for certain characters. In Diva's run I've pulled off a few and it just does 2-3 normal attacks and doesn't make much of a difference. But in the intro of the magic girl, where she's firing off rapid high damage spells that seemed to be way more OP.
Showstoppers give the character all your remaining BP, plus a couple extra, to randomly use techs/spells from their current list. They can be a bit wimpy if you don't have many known techs or don't leave them much extra BP, but they're absolutely backbreaking if you do. It's to the point where it kind of feels hard to lose, since a couple characters dropping means it's much easier to set up a Showstopper on one of your heavy hitters.

Doesn't ranking up a tech make it cost less BP? I think that's how it works in other SaGas.
Sometimes. Mostly it's just a little extra damage, but you also rank techs up a lot more quickly than usual.

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Poetry slam! Wham bam Goddamn!

or

Does this appease you, eyeball?

I'm loving quotes in Siugnas' run lmao.

Is that doing all 17 worlds? My understanding of the structure from trying Diva and Tsunanori is after the unique openings they all have access to the rest of the worlds and only a few are required to advance/finish their storyline but you can do all 17 worlds.

If it's ~11ish hours for all 17 worlds, which means if you speedrun just the required worlds, maybe a 4-5 hour run, that's pretty good for quick replays.

I kind of feel like since every world I've done so far only has two choices per event that after playing through the game twice and choosing the opposite choices, you've pretty much seen all the story/writing in the game outside the unique main story points for each character, so by run 3 probably will just do the main required worlds for each character while picking up a few characters for my party from other worlds if I really like them.

How long was a single run in Scarlet Grace in comparison?

If you want specifically how many worlds that was (and it seems pretty locked in how many Mido can do first run): You have intro in Miyako, first world of Pulchra, then choices of Yomi, Grelon and Delta Base, but you will do all 3 eventually, then you return to Miyako to finish. While I've gone to a different scenario I've read others say running the same character a second time gets you different dialogue options and different worlds. I really get the distinct feeling progress in this game isn't very straight forward with replays and stuff.

Scarlet Grace is ungodly long in comparison. I've only ever done one route (and I did it twice because I'm stupid) but it took me like 40-50 hours the first time (second time was faster but I didn't finish it lol).

What with you having not played Scarlet Grace maybe you're missing some of the "tells" of the system but I feel like you're substantially underestimating the amount of variation in each world. I feel like most of the worlds I've been to probably have at least 3 major end point divergences, with more smaller ones throughout that may or may not have significance. I could be overestimating it as well, but only time will tell.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Showstoppers give the character all your remaining BP, plus a couple extra, to randomly use techs/spells from their current list. They can be a bit wimpy if you don't have many known techs or don't leave them much extra BP, but they're absolutely backbreaking if you do. It's to the point where it kind of feels hard to lose, since a couple characters dropping means it's much easier to set up a Showstopper on one of your heavy hitters.

Ah, the remaining BP thing is why I wasn't getting much out of them. Good to know. Can see them being devastating with a lot of BP.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
What with you having not played Scarlet Grace maybe you're missing some of the "tells" of the system but I feel like you're substantially underestimating the amount of variation in each world. I feel like most of the worlds I've been to probably have at least 3 major end point divergences, with more smaller ones throughout that may or may not have significance. I could be overestimating it as well, but only time will tell.

Maybe. I'll see how it goes. Like I did the Dismal King scenario with both Diva and Tsunanori and it was basically 99% the same including the NPC dialogue (and can't skip dialogue which is a bit of a bummer unless that unlocks on NG+) with basically two options for each underlord and a boss. Maybe some of the other worlds are more complex.

Scarlet Grace is ungodly long in comparison. I've only ever done one route (and I did it twice because I'm stupid) but it took me like 40-50 hours the first time (second time was faster but I didn't finish it lol).

Yeah, I think I'll probably just do one run of Scarlet Grace, whereas with Emerald I'll do all the MC Protagonists for their stories. I really prefer the shorter games like Frontier 1 as I'm not really interested in replaying a 40-50 hour game that's heavily the same thing I've already done, but a 5-11 hour one, sure.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
Maybe. I'll see how it goes. Like I did the Dismal King scenario with both Diva and Tsunanori and it was basically 99% the same including the NPC dialogue (and can't skip dialogue which is a bit of a bummer unless that unlocks on NG+) with basically two options for each underlord and a boss. Maybe some of the other worlds are more complex.
It isn't necessarily just the dialogue options that affect things. Order matters a lot as well, and worlds apparently get new events in future playthroughs even for the same character. I played through SSG 8 times and was still seeing new stuff, and this game seems to be leaning much harder into run variety.
Yeah, I think I'll probably just do one run of Scarlet Grace, whereas with Emerald I'll do all the MC Protagonists for their stories. I really prefer the shorter games like Frontier 1 as I'm not really interested in replaying a 40-50 hour game that's heavily the same thing I've already done, but a 5-11 hour one, sure.
FWIW, I don't think a playthrough of SSG is 40-50 hours. Maybe your first? It took me 200 hours to finish 8 playthroughs, and that includes a lot of preparation and experimentation to beat all the superbosses. You can blast through the game on replays.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
Also worth pointing out, there's very little variation between different Scarlet Grace main characters when it comes to tackling each area's plot lines (if any), it's largely based on the game's 4 major story arcs. Whereas it seems the vast majority of worlds play out differently depending on the protagonist in Emerald Beyond.

I'm currently on hour 8 for Diva and the playthrough shows no signs of ending as quickly as people are reporting for the other protagonists, either I'm missing something or she's actually one of the more open-ended protagonists in terms of possible progression.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
1. Do enemies have weaknesses in this (besides anti-air for airborne enemies)? If I have a slash attack and a blunt attack that are both otherwise identical (say they both do 32 damage and are 1 BP and the stat they are based off is the same), not sure what the difference is to use on an enemy since I can't tell if slash or blunt or pierce is doing more damage since there's no obvious "you hit a weakpoint" marker. Same with elemental spells. Not sure if certain elements are strong against certain enemy types?

2. Was messing around and for chain attacks (which seem super useful since you can combo them no matter where the person is on the timeline), if you have two characters do chain attacks, only one of them will chain off the non-chain character doing an attack. So I guess generally you don't want more than 1 character doing a chain attack per round.

3. How do you get around enemies that interrupt constantly? I was testing stuff and fighting these werewolf mobs in Tsunanori's route and I swear they were interrupting or protecting on blunt and slash and pierce and it kept breaking my combos I'd try to set up.

I'm currently on hour 8 for Diva and the playthrough shows no signs of ending as quickly as people are reporting for the other protagonists, either I'm missing something or she's actually one of the more open-ended protagonists in terms of possible progression.

Yeah, maybe not every character gets access to all the worlds like Diva does? Spending about an hour or more in each world with Diva, so that would be ~17 hours?

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018

There was quite a bit shared about the world of Yomi since it was accessible in the demo, and we already know there's at least 3 major endings to that world. If you want to know specifically I'll put them in spoilers:

First of all companion wise you can get Dolores or a Werewolf or nobody, so that's 3 results. Also you might fight the 4 wardens, you might fight "the Dismal King", which then reincarnates into a baby, or you might fight "the Dismal King" and there's no reincarnation.

Currently I'm in Delta Base with Siugnas and while the first branch of the red quest I did was the same as Mido's, the yellow side quest is very different and tailored to an item that Delta Base took from his world. So I can potentially see at least 4 ways of progressing this world across the two characters I've visited it with.

ArcticDonkey

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I decided to go with Diva to start and while it's been a few years since Scarlet Grace, I'm experiencing that familiar feeling of not knowing what the hell I'm doing. Went to the futurish world with the elevators and researchers. Normal encounters have been fine but I just placed a page back into a necronomicon which triggered a Brutal boss fight with a flying thunder thing that had minions with instant death . It felt pretty impossible.

I'm definitely not getting the finer points of combat but again, I had a similar situation with SG before it clicked and I loved it. I'll say, off the bat I'm not liking the method of united attacks compared to before but I might just not be adapting well.

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
I decided to go with Diva to start and while it's been a few years since Scarlet Grace, I'm experiencing that familiar feeling of not knowing what the hell I'm doing. Went to the futurish world with the elevators and researchers. Normal encounters have been fine but I just placed a page back into a necronomicon which triggered a Brutal boss fight with a flying thunder thing that had minions with instant death . It felt pretty impossible.

I'm definitely not getting the finer points of combat but again, I had a similar situation with SG before it clicked and I loved it. I'll say, off the bat I'm not liking the method of united attacks compared to before but I might just not be adapting well.
That's by far the most difficult encounter I've had in the game. I just spent like 90 minutes trying a million different strategies and can't help but feel like I only won due to lucky RNG (though I also definitely lost once due to bad RNG - glimmered 2 brusque blades in a combo which pushed him into a showstopper combo 😭). I'm with a different character than you so while I could try to offer some advice I doubt any of it would help much haha. Might be an easier boss to do in future runs when you have more armaments and formations etc.

ArcticDonkey

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
That's by far the most difficult encounter I've had in the game. I just spent like 90 minutes trying a million different strategies and can't help but feel like I only won due to lucky RNG (though I also definitely lost once due to bad RNG - glimmered 2 brusque blades in a combo which pushed him into a showstopper combo 😭). I'm with a different character than you so while I could try to offer some advice I doubt any of it would help much haha. Might be an easier boss to do in future runs when you have more armaments and formations etc.
That's actually reassuring to hear thanks!

There's other games where I'll happily slam my head against a wall against an early optional difficulty spike. Like in Elden Ring I spent a similar 90 minutes beating the Tree Sentinel at the beginning. However with this game I still don't quite get the ins and outs of basic fights so it's not worth the headache.

I don't even understand why the flower girl in my retinue seems to level up her class which reduces her max LP, to the point she has 1/1 right now so I'm kinda screwed if she goes down once I guess?

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
That's actually reassuring to hear thanks!

There's other games where I'll happily slam my head against a wall against an early optional difficulty spike. Like in Elden Ring I spent a similar 90 minutes beating the Tree Sentinel at the beginning. However with this game I still don't quite get the ins and outs of basic fights so it's not worth the headache.

I don't even understand why the flower girl in my retinue seems to level up her class which reduces her max LP, to the point she has 1/1 right now so I'm kinda screwed if she goes down once I guess?
Ephemerals will reincarnate when they run out of LP, passing down stats and techs to the next generation. I don't have one yet so I'm not sure how it works but you should be good, it's expected for her to run out!

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017

Menu - Tips - Character Fundamentals - Ephemerals

You actually want Ephemerals to LP die at their Elder stage so they can reincarnate with better stats and new skills. The form they reincarnate into depends on their weapon skill and spell affinity.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Are there any defensive strategies for enemy attacks that hit all party members if you can't stun the boss? Can you interrupt all boss attacks if you have the right interrupt?

Noticing all the big bosses just do full party attacks so idk what you can do besides use a formation with higher defense/lower damage, though with lower damage the fight may last more rounds which means the boss gets off more all-party attacks, so not sure that helps.

Menu - Tips - Character Fundamentals - Ephemerals

You actually want Ephemerals to LP die at their Elder stage so they can reincarnate with better stats and new skills. The form they reincarnate into depends on their weapon skill and spell affinity.

Oh. Yeah, I've been running my 1LP Elder Knight plantgirl for a while. Will kill her off then.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I could easily be wrong at this point but I'm not sure that's how Grelon works. In the Ameya demo I had a very even mixture of people with nightmares and people with dreams. BECAUSE of this I intentionally sought only nightmare havers in my Mido playthrough (for example I remembered the mayor to the right having a good dream, so did not unfreeze them). But I also had quite good luck or intuition because it's true I didn't even have to reset to accomplish this, so maybe I thought I was gaming it in a way it was already disposed to happen?

So far the characters I've unfrozen in both routes have had different dreams: Tsunanori Remi dreamed of Alexandre's Youth Honor Guard dying in a bloody war, while Ameya Remi dreamed of a mine cave in where Alexandre's Youth Honor Guard came to save him. I forgot what dream Virgile had in Tsunanori, but in Ameya he has a dream about being a bear who was nearly killed by hunters until the Final Emperor showed up to ban hunting. So I guess some of them are nightmare adjacent, but they end up with positive impressions of the Final Emperor compared to the ones in Tsunanori's, which viewed him as a tyrant.

(Maybe it actually just boils down to which of the first two events you choose?)

In any case, it feels like a throwback to both RS2 and RS3.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I think I'm going to skip the blue "..." worlds with Diva. Did the
presidential election
world and had a pretty awful time. Had no idea which events would influence the
election
either way so it was just RNG with no actual input, didn't end up with the
candidate
I wanted, story was long and repetitive and boring, no boss fight, didn't progress the heart main story, didn't recruit any side characters, basically just felt like a 1-2 hour waste of time.

Plus given that Diva/Mechs need to unlock their slots to gear up, not doing worlds that progress the mecha frame/slot unlocking keeps them behind. My MC Diva character feels like the weakest member of my team and gets getting KO'd on hard fights. I have Administrator Gold from the first world and they have way better stats because they come with all equip slots unlocked.

I'm struggling a bit on hard or higher difficulty fights right now with my team. I keep getting bad RNG turns where all the enemies are at the beginning of the timeline and none of my characters can move far enough left so the enemies get a combo and demolish my team. Not sure wtf I can be doing. I'm hitting them with the smart water gun that drops action speed -8% to all enemies, but they still get turns like that.

Does what you do in a turn reflect on your queue starting positions next turn? I.e. if everyone participates in an action combo on turn 1 will they all be late on timeline on turn 2? Whereas if you defend with everyone, they'll all be early on the timeline next turn?