• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Source: https://www.rpgsite.net/news/10916-square-enix-details-additions-made-to-saga-frontier-remastered

Map pointer tells you where you can go

SaGa-Frontier-Remastered_20210325_08.jpg

Scenario Chart tells you where you are in the story

SaGa-Frontier-Remastered_20210325_11.jpg

You can escape from battles now, and they don't count to the battle rank

SaGa-Frontier-Remastered_20210325_10.jpg

- New Game+ carries over parameters, items, credits and techniques.
- New story events regarding Asellus' chapter that were cut from the original game
-New exclusive 8th chapter: The Fuse scenario allowing you to partipate in every character scenario and defeating their final boss (as long as you already beat their character story). The final boss of Fuse will increase in challenge the more you beat their final boss in his scenario, but you also have access to every character. It also has multiple endings. It's basically the chapter that is supposed to tie everything up together but was cut due to lack of time. Keep in mind the story is not the same as it used to be, as Kawazu said Benny Matsuyama's story was better than his idea of what Fuse was supposed to be. Matsuyama wrote Fuse's investigation log in supplemental material back then.
- Fast-Forward inside and outside of battle (2x or 3x)
- Library mode with BGM, illustrations and staff credits
- Auto-equip
- Discarding items
- New sprites
- AI Upscaled backgrounds

eocui2ewmaejnyl7qknl.jpg

SaGa-Frontier-Remastered_20210311_12.png

The making of a great remaster

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if SQEX will release updated FFVII-IX remasters with AI upscaled backgrounds during this PS5SeX generation. That would be so like them...

That's very positive. There are still many PS1 games that can be remastered so maybe they'll do the same for that.
And go back and do FF7-FF9 too.
Isn't Legend of Mana also getting AI upscaled backgrounds?

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Those additions all sound great! The in game speedup options and the map markers all sound sweet.

If I'm understanding it right, The best method seems to be to do Fuse last to get all the content, since his story unlocks more bosses and stuff if you've beaten the others. Sounds good to me.

TFJ

Aug 9, 2019
News outlets are not talking about it, but thankfully the equipment UI was updated to display all provided defence values, not just slash damage type.

Saga Frontier 2 remaster next, please!

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I dont see any quick level gain/infinite money/infinite health/infinite mp type shit that can really make the difference when blowing through these old school bad boys.

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017
Remaster done well.

are they also using AI for legend of mana ?

hopefully frontier 2 will come.

and they will sell us again ff7, ai version !
I would buy it.....

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I dont see any quick level gain/infinite money/infinite health/infinite mp type shit that can really make the difference when blowing through these old school bad boys.
SaGa Frontier originally shipped with two infinite money glitches in the game. One was caught by the testers, given an official nickname, was intentionally left in, and was described in the official strategy guide. So that is probably covered.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I'm glad Kawazu is on the project. It shows that he actually cares about the series.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is awesome. I've never actually finished the game, though I rented it and tried to play it back in the day. This time I wanna finish it!

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So excited for this game. Just finished Minstrel's Song and want more Saga goodness.

Cubs017

Mar 16, 2020
This is a franchise that I've never played before. I take it that this game holds up well, especially with the improvements? Is it a game that respects your time and isn't just a ton of fetch quests or grinding?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
This is a franchise that I've never played before. I take it that this game holds up well, especially with the improvements? Is it a game that respects your time and isn't just a ton of fetch quests or grinding?

You will have grinding but I wouldn't say it has fetch quests. For the most part you have a path you're supposed to follow but you can just go and do what you want.

Grind is there to increase stats and learn skills. Battle system is where the fun is though so that's always been cool with me.

Edit - Also maybe not important but I also always enjoyed how there were no random battles and you could save anywhere.

Last edited:

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
The game is a collection of small stories that each take about 10 to 15 hours to clear. If you just want to play through a story or two, you can blow through it quickly. But it is a game that you play for the gameplay. None of these stories are particularly deep or complicated. What brings me back to this game time and again is the fun of building teams and trying new characters and parties.

If you try to play through every story, you will end up playing through the same side quests four or five times, in all likelihood. There are some key sidequests that you want to do with most of the characters because of the important rewards. So how much repetition you experience in the game depends on how much you want out of the game.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

This is probably the best entry point to the series. I don't know that it respects your time - character progression can be random & since the game consists of several main characters, each with their own story, there's a good bit of overlap between scenarios. But it's a very interesting & unique game & this sounds like a quality upgrade.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I'm so excited.

Slightly off-topic, but is this related to Romancing Saga? I just got RS3 for Switch but yet to dive in

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so excited.

Slightly off-topic, but is this related to Romancing Saga? I just got RS3 for Switch but yet to dive in

It's the game they made after Romancing Saga 3, but I don't think any of the SaGa games have any story connections to any other SaGa game.

SaGa 1-3 - Game Boy games that were released in English as Final Fantasy Legend 1-3.
Romancing SaGa 1-3 - SNES games. Not released in English until much later.
SaGa Frontier 1-2 - PS1 games.
Unlimited SaGa - PS2 game. One of the weirdest & least popular entries.
SaGa: Scarlet Grace - Originally released on Vita (Japan only), later released on Switch/PS4/PC.

There are also some mobile game entries. And various games have been remade.

Last edited:

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
The game is a collection of small stories that each take about 10 to 15 hours to clear. If you just want to play through a story or two, you can blow through it quickly. But it is a game that you play for the gameplay. None of these stories are particularly deep or complicated. What brings me back to this game time and again is the fun of building teams and trying new characters and parties.

If you try to play through every story, you will end up playing through the same side quests four or five times, in all likelihood. There are some key sidequests that you want to do with most of the characters because of the important rewards. So how much repetition you experience in the game depends on how much you want out of the game.

Yeah definitely agree here. Let's add in the Fuse story not found in the original release and the add-ons for Asellus.

The movesets in the battle, while over the top, are amazing to see especially in combo sequences. Square really did a one off with this I felt.

Reslly can't wait to dig back in. I know some people will try to compare it with Octopsth but I feel like there's at least more interaction between the characters than octopath. Just wish they all come together for one story arc, which sadly doesn't happen.

Last edited:

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Didn't know there was a physical release. Just ordered it. Thanks for the info.

Is that the Switch version? I see there was a PS4 Asia version, but it's cancelled now?

noisypixel.net

SaGa Frontier Remastered Physical PS4 Release Cancelled, Switch Release Still Planned

SaGa Frontier Remastered has canceled the physical release on PlayStation 4, however, the Nintendo Switch version is still coming.

Play-Asia:

UPDATE 03/11/2021: SaGa Frontier Remastered Asia Exclusive physical release for PlayStation 4 has been canceled. Meanwhile, the Nintendo Switch version is still open for pre-order.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
It looks like a lot of work went into this. Wondering if I should get it just to support Square Enix going back re-releasing old games, I desperately want more of their old portfolio to come out.

SaGa: Scarlet Grace - Originally released on Vita (Japan only), later released on Switch & PS4.

Just FYI, Scarlet Grace is also on PC/Steam.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I'm actually so torn right now on what to do.

Im getting the physical version on Switch already but not sure if I'm still going to get it on Switch digital as well. Part of me wants it on my iPhone.

Thinking of getting a Backbone controller too.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
So weird that this and Legend of Mana seem to be getting way more effort put into them than most of the FF remasters.

Status
Not open for further replies.