• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
i watched the DF video, it's not too bad. i've played games with worse resolution and frame rate on switch. it's still something i want to get in the future, maybe digitally on sale.

I've been playing it in handheld mode and overall I'd say it's solid and very playable. The pop in is the biggest issue I've had and it seems less noticeable to me in handheld, but is still very noticeable.

I think in general a lot of gamers incorrectly remember how a lot of these games ran on last gen hardware.

Edit: to be clear, this is in reference to Dragons Dogma that others were discussing and comparing.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
yeah i think unless a game is notorious for running bad, people jus assume it ran at 720p 30 fps.
It's been so long since i played the PS3 version i don't remember it running that bad. Then again i was so used to that level of performance on PS3 it didn't bother me at the time. These console launching with such poor cpus was a mistake hopefully next gen will beef up their cpus.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
The annoying thing about it all is, is that with a relatively slight overclock on the cpu and gpu, the doesn't run too badly at all....

BlueKoopa

Apr 28, 2019
Indiana
There's always that guy!

Sometimes people genuinely don't mind. No need to treat them like that. Personally I can get over lower frame rates. Not gonna be super happy with them, but I can definitely put it aside if I'm having fun. This particular instance is one I feel that way towards a little except the difference is I'm not having fun rather I'm totally indifferent because $40 or whatever the price is is completely bonkers for a port of Saints Row the Third. This game is a decent game, but it ain't much more than that. The low frame rates are just an icing on the cake for me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes people genuinely don't mind. No need to treat them like that. Personally I can get over lower frame rates. Not gonna be super happy with them, but I can definitely put it aside if I'm having fun. This particular instance is one I feel that way towards a little except the difference is I'm not having fun rather I'm totally indifferent because $40 or whatever the price is is completely bonkers for a port of Saints Row the Third. This game is a decent game, but it ain't much more than that. The low frame rates are just an icing on the cake for me.
yeah i don't see how this port justifies a 40 dollar price tag when stuff like dragon's dogma are 30 bucks. makes even less sense when you consider that dragon's dogma is on a 16 GB cart but this one is using an 8 GB one.

BlueKoopa

Apr 28, 2019
Indiana
yeah i don't see how this port justifies a 40 dollar price tag when stuff like dragon's dogma are 30 bucks. makes even less sense when you consider that dragon's dogma is on a 16 GB cart but this one is using an 8 GB one.

Definitely. Like I'm not usually too angry at Switch ports costing a little more (hell I bought Skyrim and Doom on release) but this is a game I played free on the Xbox years ago. This should have included a port of Saints Row 4 at least.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even on PC with an RX 580 it gets nasty stuttering and rather low FPS at times at 1080p maxed.

patch 1.4.0 analysis

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
very (very) late bump, but I've taken a look at patch 1.4.0 on Switch as promised! apologies for the delay, I got sick, then was job hunting, but things have started to calm down again now.

in summary (but pls watch the video!):
  • vault sequence new minimum fps is 22 fps compared to 12 fps, average is 29fps compared to 26fps
  • skydiving sequence new minimum fps is 18fps compared to 11fps, but average framerate is same at 24fps
  • no noticeable downgrade to resolution as I believe it's still 1080p
  • slight performance improvement in cutscenes
  • no real improvement in moment to moment gameplay although worst case scenarios definitely improved

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
very (very) late bump, but I've taken a look at patch 1.4.0 on Switch as promised! apologies for the delay, I got sick, then was job hunting, but things have started to calm down again now.

in summary (but pls watch the video!):
  • vault sequence new minimum fps is 22 fps compared to 12 fps, average is 29fps compared to 26fps
  • skydiving sequence new minimum fps is 18fps compared to 11fps, but average framerate is same at 24fps
  • no noticeable downgrade to resolution as I believe it's still 1080p
  • slight performance improvement in cutscenes
  • no real improvement in moment to moment gameplay although worst case scenarios definitely improved

nice, i was waiting for your analysis post-patch.
looks like there's been some improvements but the game is still not in a very good state, and i doubt they're gonna do anything about it from now on.