Oct 25, 2017
uematsu-sakaguchi.jpg

To further add to Fantasian's classic JRPG feel, Sakaguchi enlisted longtime friend and collaborator Nobuo Uematsu, the legendary composer of Final Fantasy, as well as such Mistwalker titles as Lost Odyssey, The Last Story and Terra Battle.

Uematsu Sakaguchi All told, the two have been collaborating for around 35 years, but it almost didn't happen with Fantasian. "Before we approached him to work on Fantasian, he was going through some health issues, and there were concerns if he was going to be able to compose everything or if was it even possible for him to work on this," said Sakaguchi. But ultimately, Uematsu pulled through to compose the game's entire 60-piece orchestrated soundtrack.

It's an especially important collaboration for them, says Sakaguchi, as the work required to compose and orchestrate entire soundtracks might prove too difficult for Uematsu going forward. "I think he kind of hinted that Fantasian is maybe the last game that he does from end to end in terms of scoring an entire soundtrack," recalls Sakaguchi. While he notes that Uematsu will likely continue to do individual compositions for games — like last year's Final Fantasy VII Remake, for which he wrote the main theme "Hollow" — Fantasian "might be his last record."

If Fantasian is to be their last full collaboration, though, Sakaguchi says he's more than happy with the end result. "On a positive note, he poured his heart and soul into it. For me, when I heard it, it almost made me tear up a little bit, because it was a very big moment in both of our careers." Fantasian is "coming soon" to Apple Arcade. The subscription service costs $5.99/month in Canada.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/03/03/...game-mistwalker-hironobu-sakaguchi-interview/

There's no word yet as when he will be retired. If so, then I'm def gonna to miss him greatly and I'm so glad that I got to watch him orchestrated a few years ago in Toronto City with my brother and his friends, and It was absolutely best experience I've ever had. ♥

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Do these mobile game soundtracks typically release physically? I'd be interested in getting a copy if so.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Uematsu's health has been in decline for a while. If they actually convinced him to do the full soundtrack for Fantasian that's pretty impressive, because he's been ratcheting back his time investment in full soundtrack composition for years now.

It's gonna be sad when he retires, but he's earned the peace and rest.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Thread title is a nightmare. What a weird way to say it.

Anyways, I really look forward to this title.You can always trust this team to deliver top notch music.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dude's an absolute legend and deserves to slow down or retire. Hopefully it's more because it's what he wants and not being forced to. I like the thought of his final full score being another Sakaguchi collaboration.

Man, he and Amano, the people that made me care about music and art as a kid in the early 90's are both starting to get up there. Oops, and here comes my midlife crisis.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Thread title is a nightmare. What a weird way to say it.

Anyways, I really look forward to this title.You can always trust this team to deliver top notch music.
I think the nouns actually got mixed up.

Nobuo's one of the only composers that I'd regularly just hear people talking about. I think he's cemented his legacy.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
A legend. It's going to be sad when he retires but hes earned it. I was lucky to be able to attend a Distant Worlds concert but sadly he wasn't present at the time. I'm looking forward to hearing his work on Fantasian though sadly I won't be able to play it until it releases on non apple devices.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
He still puts out bangers. I liked a lot of his tracks in Agra blue Fantasy

the hype for Fantasian is slowly going up

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Clarification: He says FULL game as a composer. He'll still be working as a composer.

Anyway, the GOAT has earned the right to go out how he chooses. What a ridiculous career he's had.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Yeah that thread title is uh, something

Uematsu deserves the rest, he's one of the legends. Never heard of Fantasian, going to check it out

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Nobuo Uematsu is an absolute legend. I wish him the best of health.

He's one of the best and the industry will be lesser when he actually retires.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn... I've heard "health issues" for years, but it's never been specified what's going on. Is it unknown how serious it is? I hope his legend thrives for years to come, he's still somewhat young.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
NO
NOOOOO

OH THank god he isn't completely gone yet. He does deserve to retire though, dude has had a long ass career

OP
OP
Futabaisthebest<3
Oct 25, 2017
Look, forgive me if my old title is confused to some. I just couldn't come up with a better title and there's nothing to be ashamed of that I just rarely created a thread like this one, that's all.

Also, thanks mod for fixed my title.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this looks amazing.

I'm not signing up for Apple Arcade to play it though.

Zanasea

Oct 28, 2017
France
Clarification: He says FULL game as a composer. He'll still be working as a composer.
This needs to be insisted upon. Sakaguchi only says he might not oversee a full soundtrack again as he did with Fantasian, but he'll definitely keep composing for games, probably mostly main themes and theme songs. (Will we hear him in FFXIV Endwalker?)

In an interview he gave last year, Uematsu said that his health issues made him reconsider his future. He mentions how he's afraid he would die without having the time to write all the music he cares about, so he has decided he would draw a clearer balance between "composing for work" and "composing for himself".

Fortunately, his health has improved since the time he had to stop his activities (in late 2018), but I guess this gave him a sense of urgency.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
What was the original thread title?

Anyway, F to my hopes of Uematsu returning to compose for a Final Fantasy for at least the last time.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I hope 1. Fantasian turns out as good as it has the potential to be, and 2. that it's only a timed exclusive.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Makes sense, the guy's old and not fully healthy, it's sad but I think it's time to retire.

That said I hope he gets to compose a song for FFXVI, it probably releasing in the year of FF 35th anniversary would be the perfect point to finish with.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
What was the original thread title?

Anyway, F to my hopes of Uematsu returning to compose for a Final Fantasy for at least the last time.

original: According to Sakaguchi (Final Fantasy's successor) confirmed that Nobuo Uematsu might be his last Fantasian game as a composer
new: Sakaguchi (Final Fantasy's successor) confirmed that Nobuo Uematsu last game as a composer might be the upcoming 'Fantasian'

I don't know how this got changed and is still absolutely unintelligible.

what it should say:
Fantasian (Sakaguchi's spiritual FF successor) might be Uematsu's last full project as main composer

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
original: According to Sakaguchi (Final Fantasy's successor) confirmed that Nobuo Uematsu might be his last Fantasian game as a composer
new: Sakaguchi (Final Fantasy's successor) confirmed that Nobuo Uematsu last game as a composer might be the upcoming 'Fantasian'

I don't know how this got changed and is still absolutely unintelligible.

what it should say:
Fantasian (Sakaguchi's spiritual FF successor) might be Uematsu's last full project as main composer
Those are quite some title gore right there

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Mitsuda stopped doing full soundtracks decades ago too. Pretty sure Hamauzu, Sakimoto, Shimomura, etc. rarely ever do full soundtracks either nowadays.

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
Fantasian page on the App Store if you're wanting to learn more about the game.

It looks pretty good and the "stack monsters to fight them all at once" mechanic instead of each in random encounters looks really cool.

I'll probably play this on Apple TV with my Series X controller connected. I don't have an active Apple Arcade subscription currently but I may just get one month to try it out.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to know Uematsu is still doing music, but it's sad to me that he's slowing down.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
Hope he has a nice retirement, he has truly made some wonderful music that has meant so much to so many.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Not too surprising considering his health. I'm surprised hes even doing the full soundtrack for Fantasian since I thought he was already done with full games.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit this looks amazing.

I'm not signing up for Apple Arcade to play it though.

I don't have an iPhone but to me Apple Arcade is the only promising spot when it comes to mobile gaming. But then again haven't they walked back some of the initial pitch for the service?