Big One

Oct 25, 2017
So as you all know, the first fighter's pass - while great - has been a bit of a sausage party.

Let's say you're a developer at Sora and Sakurai has given you this task to at least pitch him five characters to go on this pass. However there are certain guidelines you have to follow:

1. Must be female.
2. Each character must be from a different gaming franchise.
3. No Nintendo characters.
4. If they have a Spirit or a Mii Costume they're a no-go.

Of course the usual guidelines are also there as well such as no non-video game characters and whatnot. Sony characters are a no-go too.

So without further ado, let's go through my own picks.

g6heZKM.png

1. Jill Valentine from Resident Evil (series)

Not only is Resident Evil one of the most iconic franchises in gaming, but Jill has been the front and center of this series for ages next to other characters such as Leon and Chris. From the very beginning she's been one of the most important female figures in gaming, though I hope if she did make the cut she'd retain her classic look.

D4psiY6.jpg

2. 2B from Nier Automata

While I realize she's already in Soul Calibur, I do not think that intrudes on her chances of being in this game. I've personally never even played Nier Automata (that'll change someday) but one thing that has always struck me is 2B's striking design. Even if you haven't played the game, you can instantly tell who 2B is, "Oh, it's that girl from Nier." That alone makes her worthy of inclusion and that isn't even the only testament to her popularity either.

bFuVuht.jpg

3. Lara Croft from Tomb Raider (series)

We need at least one gaming icon representing the Western game industry here, and Lara is the perfect example of this both classic and new gen Lara Croft. Till this day she's still one of gaming's most iconic females for better or worse. Seeing her duke it out with the likes of characters like Samus, Princess Peach and Zelda would be absolutely nuts, and Smash isn't afraid of utilizing guns anymore so...why not? Give us a stage based on the Amazon as well!

pt1lHCw.jpg

4. Kawase from Umihara Kawase (series)

Now a minor icon of Japanese gaming and my fringe pick. This is one of those picks that makes people go, "WTF?" but personally I would mark out so hard for this it could potentially sell an entire fighter's pack for me. So what is it about this little girl that makes her so unique? Well aside from her being a feature of one of the most fun and unique platforming series out there, her moveset would be something truly unique to Smash Bros. as she uses a fish hook to latch onto walls and ceilings to travel around. Think of a character that just uses a fishing hook to latch onto other characters and do all sorts of crazy combos and moves. That's how she would function.

kCxFuVf.jpg

5. Alis Landale from from Phantasy Star (series)

Oh no another swordsman! Oh I mean *swordswoman. Regardless, I think Alis would be a real cool addition to Smash for a variety of reasons. For starters it completes the big three of JRPG gaming back in the 80's by including a Phantasy Star rep, and it's not like the franchise is dead or anything of that sort despite it being exclusively MMO nowadays, lol. You could even do a cool thing like having Myau be alongside her acting as something similar to Luma on Rosalina. There's so much potential for a scifi swordswoman character I dunno where to begin, and not to mention all the cool Phantasy Star content that would be adding ranging from music, Mii Costumes, Spirits, etc.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
latest

Nicole from Dead Or Alive cause I want a Halo rep
Edit: forgot the other ones

Zoe/Rochelle from L4D
Joanna Dark
Claire Redfield
Commander Shep

2b and Faith would also be cool

Last edited:

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on phone so I can't do fancy pictures but I'd nominate Pai for Sega Virtua Fighter, Edelgard from Fire Emblem 3 houses, Alta from Crono Trigger, a female rep of Monster Hunter and I would 2nd Laura Croft for her influence on games alone

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd agree with Jill and Lara. Don't really understand why they have to be non-Nintendo unless you are just inverting the current assumption that the FP we have is 100% male 3rd party? I'd love Elma and Ribbon Girl personally from Nintendo but aside from those... I can't really think of any others that I care about. Mayyyybe Monster Hunter with the female Hunter as default?

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
  1. Kula Diamond - King of Fighters
  2. Sylvanas Windrunner - Warcraft Franchise
  3. Terra Branford - Final Fantasy 6
  4. Chun-Li - Street Fighter
  5. Sophitia - Soul Calibur

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
1. Tracer
2. Lara Croft
3. Jill Valentine
4. Xianghua (Soul Calibur)
5. Jade (Beyond Good & Evil)

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Lara Croft
Sylvanas or Jaina to represent Blizzard
The Boss
Chun-li
Kitana

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  1. Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
  2. Tracer (Overwatch)
  3. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
  4. Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)
    • Like in MvCI, the Huntress will be the default Monster Hunter.
  5. 2B (NieR: Automata)
    • Her design would have to be modified to be E10+ friendly.
Those are basically my suggestions within your limits. If you lifted the no Spirits & no Nintendo rules, I could add Twintelle, Elma, Dixie Kong, Chun-Li, & a number of others. I considered Amaterasu & Morrigan, but I didn't want my pack to be TOO Capcom-heavy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big One

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I'd agree with Jill and Lara. Don't really understand why they have to be non-Nintendo unless you are just inverting the current assumption that the FP we have is 100% male 3rd party? I'd love Elma and Ribbon Girl personally from Nintendo but aside from those... I can't really think of any others that I care about. Mayyyybe Monster Hunter with the female Hunter as default?
Its kind of to make it more challenging to choose characters cause Nintendo quite a bit of great female characters already that aren't in Smash. I also genuinely feel Sakurai's mindset is outside the box when it comes to these DLC picks.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just thinking of a few the first ones that come to mind are.

Kos-Mos from Xenosaga

Jill from Resident Evil

Lara from Tomb Raider

Terra from Final Fantasy 6

Nina from Breath of Fire

Lastly I would also say Lucca and Marle from Chrono Trigger

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Kasumi from Dead or Alive

Ivy from Soul Caliber

Morrigan from Darkstalkers

Mai Shiranui from King of Fighters

Dizzy from Guilty Gear

Easy, too easy. Pay me money Nintendo.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here's mine. Tried to do different companies, though I'll count S-E and Eidos as different entities. ;)

1. Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)
2. Tracer (Overwatch)
3. 2B (Nier:Automata)
4. Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
5. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Uhh...

Shiki (The World Ends with You)
Celes/Terra (Final Fantasy VI)
Mitsuru (Persona 3/Q/Q2)
Edea Lee (Bravely Default/Second)
Nozomi (Shin Megami Tensei IV/Apocalypse)

Thank god you didn't say 1 per company.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
I m
1. Must be female.
2. Each character must be from a different gaming franchise.
3. No Nintendo characters.
4. If they have a Spirit or a Mii Costume they're a no-go.
Layla Hassan from Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey

layla-hassan--93.1.jpg

She is the new modern day face of the franchise and her gameplay could be her switching "styles" based on Bayek, Aya and Kassandra/Alexios. Hell, make her something like the Dragon Quest hero and give her Aya and/or Kassandra skins.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people not reading the OP in here. No Nintendo characters or characters that are already spirits (aka no Chun-Li and Shantae).

Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Lara Croft (unlikely since the only western characters are ones that did or do have direct connections to Nintendo)
Tracer (see above)
Tifa or 2B (I'd prefer 2B, but Tifa might fit Smash more)
Kos-Mos (I don't care, but a ton of people want her so sure, can use her XB2 skin)

For maximum salt and to get rid of any western characters:

Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Reimu (Touhou, representing Japanese indies)
Djeeta or Gran (Granblue Fantasy, to represent the gacha side of gaming. It's big and you can't deny it. Cygames keeps growing)
2B (Nier, but they would probably need to alter her costume)
Kos-Mos (Xenosaga, but makes sense considering her role in XB2)

Last edited:

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'll try to stay within the rules but I have no idea who has a spirit aside Shantae (who would have been on my list).

1. Jill Valentine
2. Lara Croft
3. Alena (Dragon Quest)
4. Tracer
5. Amaterasu

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
2B from Nier Automata
Tracer from Overwatch
Kassandra from Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Jill Dozer from Drill Dozer (Nintendo published but they didn't make it so I'm taking this one)
Amaterasu from Okami

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great post, OP. We share some picks!

-Lara Croft because she is a goddamn legend and back when 3D gaming came home, she was the answer to Mario for anyone playing on a PlayStation, Saturn, or PC.

-Mai Shiranui because Terry needs a partner in Smash so he can battle Ryu/Ken and Scorpion/Sub-Zero (I'll never let this go! It has to happen!) Also, Mai is about the only other character that could represent SNK and be instantly recognizable like Terry. She's another legend.

-Kasumi of Dead or Alive. She's another one who has been around since the 90s and she's just a great character in general. There's a ton of great music and stages from DOA she could bring with her as well. I love Kasumi and the DOA series and would be over the moon if they got an invitation. I'd also buy DOA6 on Switch in a heartbeat. Its amazing on PS4/Xbox.

-Nina Williams of Tekken. Tekken just needs to be in Smash and there's no cooler femme fatale in the entire series than Nina Williams.

-Ivy Valentine of Soul Calibur. She's been around since the 90s, she dresses up nice (SCII alt costume!), and her whip-sword would really open her up for a lot of creative attacks that would be unique in Smash. There'd be nobody else like her. Plus, think of the music that she'd bring with her! OMG.

I'll also say that Jill Valentine is a good pick, but I almost think Capcom has enough representation in Smash already. Still, she has a long history in gaming and has been kicking ass since day one. I'd be happy to see her join up.

Oh, and an extra mention for Tifa from FFVII because she's a fan favorite and arguably the most relevant female in the entirety of Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like your picks. I was gonna pick Alis lol. So instead, here are mine:

Nei from Phantasy Star II (nyah!)
Bastila Shan from KOTOR.
Aika from Skies of Arcadia
Kassandra from AssCreed Odyssey
Hornet from Hollow Knight

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
I don't have time to come up with a list, but it seems like a lot of people's lists are exclusively made up of "realistic" white or Japanese human women.

I'd hope that if Sakurai did something like this, that we'd also get a little more racial diversity, and also non-human/humanoid female characters too, like a Hello Kitty type or something.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
Faith from Mirror's Edge
mirrors-edge-03.jpg

Pullum Purna from EX Fighting Layer
pullum-sfex1-character-select-artwork.jpg

Ulala from Space Channel 5
latest

Hilde from Soul Calibur 4:
hilde1.jpg

Master Raven from Tekken:
1591.jpg

(Or Alternatively Cristi Montero)

I think all these characters would be interesting mechanically speaking and would add to the game (as well as just liking them overall).

Bonus: Madeline from Celeste 'cause why not?

Last edited:

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Rule 4 should be removed :(.

1. Shinobu (No More Heroes)
2. Shantae (Shantae Series)
3. Kos-mos (Xenosaga)
4. Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
5. Pab & Peb (Puzzle Bobble)

Edit: I also really like the idea of Morrigan from Darkstalkers, that's a great pick I never thought of! I'd probably replace Kos-mos for her if I did the list again. :O

Last edited: