Yurei

Feb 28, 2023
Well, I'd rather have him direct than a more generic marvel factory director. Even if MoM was mid.

I'm just waiting for a Holland Spiderman movie to feel like a spiderman movie. Where he's almost entirely independent struggling with normal spiderman problems. Spiderman 2 and Spiderman PS4 handled peter having a mentor figure better than any of the holland movies.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Not sure of the source on this but either way I'm good. I like the Raimi movies well enough but I can do without the nostalgia act.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Aligns well with my super low expectations of MCU movies. DS2 was weak.

Maybe, let's find out. And let us hope they put a decent writer too.

They had a decent writer for MoM. Michael Waldron created Loki and wrote the pilot episode. So he's at the very least decent, given that he played an important role in one of the best projects the MCU has ever put out.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe this rumor but really hope it's true.

Jon watts movies were so goddamn ugly and visually boring. At least Raimi can improve in those areas

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Well he nailed Dr. Strange 2
you-sure-about-that-i-think-you-should-leave-with-tim-robinson.gif

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want it, not under Disney. SM1 and 2 might as well have been made on a different planet when you look at MCU's spiderman films. MoM had some flair but nothing else going for it, especially since it ignored the entirety of Wandavision outright. Not Raimi's fault but I want a Sam Raimi film out of him, not a Disney movie by Sam Raimi.

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't know people disliked Strange 2. I thought it was a great time and one of the few movies from that "Phase" that I actually liked. I'm certainly interested in Raimi directing another MCU movie.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Sam Raimi did a great job with Doctor Strange, he still got it. Would be fantastic to have him on a new Spiderman!

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I would be down for that. Dr strange 2 was one of the most interesting marvel movies in years and I've always dug his style

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It probably had more to do with Garfield being a much better actor and finally not having garbage material to work with compared to the TASM movies.

Tobey hardly acts anymore, dude doesn't care lol. They both got paid the same amount to do that film.
Haha yeah, I was joking. Garfield is a much stronger actor than Maguire overall.

Unfortunately his Spider-Man movies are some of the worst (superhero) movies ever made.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know people disliked Strange 2. I thought it was a great time and one of the few movies from that "Phase" that I actually liked. I'm certainly interested in Raimi directing another MCU movie.

Same, I really enjoyed it. I went in with low expectations, but it was the first MCU film in a while to me that felt... energetic, like it wasn't just going through the motions. I'm definitely up for more Raimi, as well

Oct 25, 2017
Raimi is known for being a director who is incredibly hands on with the creative process and storytelling of his films. We don't get to pretend that's not the case only when the result is lacking.
No offense, but you vastly overestimate how much a director can change once the cement is dry on certain aspects of a film in these director-rescue situations. Especially with an unmoving deadline for picture lock. Raimi was fortunately still able to exercise his usual flourish in execution, but executing is all you really have time for in these situations.

b91dac98c48c97a4ed7737dfd49eff18.gif

I would have him in a heartbeat if he could bring that Spider-Man 2 energy into Tom's fight scenes.
The secret sauce to his action scenes are that he actually has artists storyboard them. Every shot meticulously crafted and deliberate. Something lost in the age of infinite money and CG budgets that allow endless fiddling and muddies the result.

Nah, let David Lynch do one or a dr strange. Let's get weird
How I wish we were in this timeline.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
No offense, but you vastly overestimate how much a director can change once the cement is dry on certain aspects of a film in these director-rescue situations. Especially with an unmoving deadline for picture lock. Raimi was fortunately still able to exercise his usual flourish in execution, but executing is all you really have time for in these situations.

I don't think I'm overestimating here.

MoM is a Raimi-as-Fuck film. If the idea that he was rescuing the movie at the last minute without the ability to make it his own was true, I don't believe he would have been able to "exercise his usual flourish" at all. The film woild have felt a lot more visually generic.

Instead, it's pure Raimi. For better and worse.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Haha yeah, I was joking. Garfield is a much stronger actor than Maguire overall.

Unfortunately his Spider-Man movies are some of the worst (superhero) movies ever made.
Oh gotchu, yeah, it's criminal that they shooed Raimi out the door just to create those movies and keep the rights to the IP.

Ah well.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt this is true but he would certainly be a big upgrade visually compared to Jon Watts

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'm overestimating here.

MoM is a Raimi-as-Fuck film. If the idea that he was rescuing the movie at the last minute without the ability to make it his own was true, I don't believe he would have been able to "exercise his usual flourish" at all. The film woild have felt a lot more visually generic.

Instead, it's pure Raimi. For better and worse.
Yes, but a locked script is a locked script. There might be some pickups and reshoots here and there, but if the assets are done, the digital sets complete, and the shooting schedule is barreling closer, there isn't really room for detours here. You're talking about the difference between furnishing a home which can absolutely reflect someone's unique flavor, vs taking part in the actual blueprint, building AND furnishing of said home. I've been on too many rescue productions where we do the best we can do with a fixed amount of tools and time and the reality is there's only so much you can change. The personal flourish in directing fortunately remains one of those things.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
It's pretty crazy, I never see takes like this outside of Era.

The idea that Spider-Man: Homecoming isn't a good movie. It's like stepping into an alternate universe sometimes.
A… Multiverse of Madness??

I'm not interested tho the dr. Strange movie was fine as an one of horror-ish movie. But I don't want that from Spider-Man

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
MoM had a bad script. Raimi has directed so many movies I have liked so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Peep the community note for this tweet:

This is not true. World of Reel is known for spreading misinformation for clicks.

Sam Raimi denied rumors of him directing a potential Spider-Man 4 at WonderCon, saying "Marvel's so successful with their current Spider-Man.. I don't know that they're going to go back to me..."
https://heroichollywood.com/sam-raimi-spider-man-4-update/

View: https://x.com/onetakenews/status/1780411159926956474?s=46&t=6c6lsBBbH2CiU2s3cbciAQ

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
MoM is the only recent MCU film to really feel like it had its own soul or personality, which I'm like 90% certain is become Raimi was at the helm. I sorta get if it didn't do it for you, though some of the often cited reasons baffle me, but it's wild not wanting him back for more comic book stuff.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want Raimi back on Spider-Man (even if they did another with Maguire/Dunst, the time has passed), and I don't want him doing Avengers or any other big tentpole movie. If he's doing more Marvel stuff let him keep the momentum up with Strange and let him craft a sequel from the ground-up. More weirdness, more horror-adjacent stuff, less multiverse, less cameos.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Raimi's directing for DS2 was sublime. However, you can't direct bad writing and turn it into good writing.

Jan 20, 2024
Gross. His over the top, hamfisted filming style mixed with his blatant disrespect for his audience would remove any enthusiasm I might have had for spiderman 4. Hope this isn't true.