• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

1200x-1.jpg

1200x-1.jpg

• Company says phone will come in four colors; ready in April
  • Device marks dramatic shift in type of mass-market smartphone

Samsung Electronics Co. unveiled a $1,980 smartphone with a foldable screen, a dramatic shift in the mass market for phones.

The device has a 4.6-inch screen when used as a phone and can unfold into a tablet with a 7.3-inch screen, Samsung said Wednesday during a demonstration kicking off its Unpacked event in San Francisco. The company said the new phone, called the Galaxy Fold, will be available April 26 and come in four colors: black, blue, silver and green. Users will also be able to customize the color of the folding hinge.

Samsung's device is not the first foldable-screen phone, but the company's brand, reach and technological prowess makes it the most advanced folding phone for the mass market. It's a leap that rivals the category shifts not seen since smartphones took off with a broad audience more than a decade ago.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-980-galaxy-fold-phone-that-turns-into-tablet

Last edited:

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/20/...hone-features-screen-photos-size-announcement

google_fold_map.gif

Samsung first teased its foldable phone back in November, and at the company's Galaxy Unpacked event today it's further detailing its foldable plans. Samsung's foldable now has a name, the Samsung Galaxy Fold, and the company is revealing more about what this unique smartphone can do. Samsung is planning to launch the Galaxy Fold on April 26th, starting at $1,980. There will be both an LTE and 5G version of the Galaxy Fold, and Samsung is even planning on launching the device in Europe on May 3rd, starting at 2,000 euros.

Samsung is using a new 7.3-inch Infinity Flex Display that allows the phone itself to have a tablet-sized screen that can be folded to fit into a pocket. The main display is QXGA+ resolution (4.2:3), and when it's folded, a smaller 4.6-inchHD+ (12:9) display is used for the phone mode. Samsung is using 512GB of Universal Flash Storage 3.0 (eUFS) for fast speeds, alongside a Qualcomm 7nm Octa-core processor and 12GB of RAM. Samsung has even built two batteries for its Galaxy Fold, that are separated by the fold but combined in the Android operating system to represent a total of 4,380 mAh.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
"Exactly what I've always wanted!!" Said no one ever. Especially for that price, phone prices are already in the stupid range at the moment and don't seem to be going down.
The tech has potential but everything I've heard about current folding prototypes makes it sound like we're a good few years away from it being worth looking at as an every day phone.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
This seems like a solution to a problem nobody had.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
We're going past the sweet spot price for smart phones and I've got a fairly bad feeling about how well this is going to do. It's just too much money for a phone that you'll realistically only use for two to three years.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I still don't get it.

I mean, I get that it's a phone, and holy shit or something, you unfold it and it's now a bigger phone. But it seems unnecessary and awkward and fragile.

I also love their Apple-like choice of image with a black background to hide the enormous goddamn bezel on the 'phone' part.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Cool tech but lol at the price. Cant wait to see how foldables evolve over the next couple of years.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
That's really nice and all. But I'm gonna wait till foldable phones hit the $1000 range. But great for progress though.

Mr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
On a second watch it's actually kinda cool. A tablet that fits in your pocket.

Still at that price I'm good with my phone right now

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
$1980 and that outside bezel on the folded up screen? Ooof. Cool tech that a few years from now might be a thing. I paid $250 Canadian for my current Essential phone. So yeah, I am not the market for this thing.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
The price makes sense when you consider it's essentially two high spec phones fused together. I'm sure they'll be able to contract these out to people obsessed with new tech pretty easily.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's incredibly neat. Not $2000 neat, but in a few years i'll be excited to see where it goes.