PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, what is this, the fifth different rerelease of SW4? Tecmo must really think it's the best game in the series to keep releasing it over and over again.

Was SW5 any good? I never got around to playing it.

Oct 26, 2017
Meanwhile the Switch version released in Japan five years ago? Still stuck in Japan. I'm legit pissed. Thanks KT. :/

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Interested, but probably not at that price. Will put it on the wishlist for if there's a sale.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
The price is nonsense, but I did want this version on PC. I'll get it later.

Dec 23, 2017
So this is SW4 repackaged with some enhancements and all the DLC bundled in?... and SW4-II is the sequel to that?

I have very little experience with samurai warriors. 😅

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The price is nonsense, but I did want this version on PC. I'll get it later.

The funniest thing is that SW4-II is exactly the same price on Steam right now. What the hell are they smoking? Like if you're gonna release a new version of the game with infinitely more content, why keep the older version the same price?
So this is SW4 repackaged with some enhancements and all the DLC bundled in?... and SW4-II is the sequel to that?

I have very little experience with samurai warriors. 😅

SW4-2 is a remixed version of SW4 with some gameplay tweaks and new modes, but less of the original game's story content. Think of it more like a standalone expansion than a sequel.

I do not know what DX is but I have to imagine it's meant to be a "full" version of SW4 with content from both 4 and 4-II.

Dec 23, 2017
SW4-2 is a remixed version of SW4 with some gameplay tweaks and new modes, but less of the original game's story content. Think of it more like a standalone expansion than a sequel.

I do not know what DX is but I have to imagine it's meant to be a "full" version of SW4 with content from both 4 and 4-II.

Hmm, is SW4 considered the best or 4-II? 🤔 I tried the demo for SW5 and didn't like it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The funniest thing is that SW4-II is exactly the same price on Steam right now. What the hell are they smoking? Like if you're gonna release a new version of the game with infinitely more content, why keep the older version the same price?

So I think this happened with some of the Atelier re-releases as well and KT did take down the old versions shortly after the new ones came out. Same thing might happen here.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
why did kt stop pumping out musou games?

Oct 26, 2017
So many switch ports of warriors games trapped in Japan. Give me Orochi 3 and DQ Heroes dang it
Yep. Worse is that not only all have localized ports on other platforms... but they also released Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate Definitive Edition (same as Switch) on Steam worldwide a year or so ago. Fuck this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, is SW4 considered the best or 4-II? 🤔 I tried the demo for SW5 and didn't like it.

I'm gonna be honest, these games came out a decade ago so I don't remember that many of the differences between them aside from 4-II not having vanilla 4's story campaigns. It had a different structure for its main single-player content and I CANNOT for the life of me remember what it was.

4-II only has one additional character added to the roster, which is a smaller chunk of newcomers than Musou games' expansions usually add. But my gut feeling is that 4-II is probably the better buy of the two...though we may want to wait until someone digs into 4-DX to see how it differs from its two predecessors before you consider spending 50 bucks.

DW9 was such a catastrophic embarrassment for the company and for Omega Force as a developer that I'm pretty sure they decided to completely reassess their priorities. SW5 is their most recent release, I believe.

jungius

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Sep 5, 2021
Jesus Christ, what is this, the fifth different rerelease of SW4? Tecmo must really think it's the best game in the series to keep releasing it over and over again.

Was SW5 any good? I never got around to playing it.

5 was downgrade compared to 4 by pretty laaaarge margin, they make it linear

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I liked SW5 well enough but I bounced off it pretty quick.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Playing through 5 now, graphically looks better but I didn't like how they kinda made everybody a teenager for no fucking reason.

My fav still remains SW Spirit of Sanada. The closest we'll get to a Taiga drama Musou. I played this while watching Masato Sakai starring in the titular role in the 50 episode epic.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Definitely adding to the wishlist. The last time I played any version of Samurai Warriors 4 was on PS3.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
did they? they just seem to do more licensed ones with Nintendo and Atlus and stuff now.

It's honestly been a while since the last one of those. SW5 was 2021, and then the second Fire Emblem Warriors was 2022. There hasn't been anything in Musou, official or licensed, since. I don't even think they've ANNOUNCED anything since Three Hopes came out. It's been a weird couple years for Omega Force.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best story climax BGMs of all time:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ge5HkPH1f4
Easily one of my favourite musous. I love how so many characters get so much story expanded upon. Despite the boxart, Yukimura and the lead up to his eventual fight with Nobuyuki is only one of many stories. Honestly for much of the game Todo Takatora in particular feels like the "main" character. He goes through so much shit and so much survivor's guilt while also going through a lot of growth in character and skills.
Because SW5 sucked and bombed.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
Remember playing this on the Vita and it was such a glorious title. I wish a new proper SW would come out.

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
Playing the game on Steam Deck, all is great so far - no need to use Proton GE to get videos to run properly. Looks like KT put in some effort to make sure all of the codecs are legit.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly been a while since the last one of those. SW5 was 2021, and then the second Fire Emblem Warriors was 2022. There hasn't been anything in Musou, official or licensed, since. I don't even think they've ANNOUNCED anything since Three Hopes came out. It's been a weird couple years for Omega Force.
There was new DLC for Pirate Warriors 4 within the past year, if that counts for something

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Huh I guess it's been longer since Three Hopes than I thought

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017

Yep, it's the definitive version of the base game. This is for those who wanted to try the base version rather than 4-II which had a different story approach

Mar 11, 2020
Playing the game on Steam Deck, all is great so far - no need to use Proton GE to get videos to run properly. Looks like KT put in some effort to make sure all of the codecs are legit.
Ooo, this may be selling me. I still can't get Warriors Orochi 3 to run perfectly on the Deck. I never played any SW games yet though just Orochi and DW

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
Wishlisted. It'll go on sale like most KT games and I can at least jump back in 4-II if I have the itch. I didn't know 4 was the better game tho, I just assumed 4-II was a straight up sequel and had more content.

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
Ooo, this may be selling me. I still can't get Warriors Orochi 3 to run perfectly on the Deck. I never played any SW games yet though just Orochi and DW

I'm playing it docked and I did not see any graphical options - but was nice to just be able to launch and play a KT Musou game on Steam Deck without switching to Proton GE. ;p

It doesn't hold 60fps when you are whacking thousands of soldiers, but feels and plays great at 45fps.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Well despite it not being much of a musou omegaforce worked on fate/samurai remnant right?

Either way I think what surprised me most is we've not heard anything of dynasty warriors. It's been ages since 9 released to controversial results.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well despite it not being much of a musou omegaforce worked on fate/samurai remnant right?

Either way I think what surprised me most is we've not heard anything of dynasty warriors. It's been ages since 9 released to controversial results.

Omega Force worked on Fate Remnant and Wild Hearts, yeah.

I still think it's very clear though that DW9's flopping as badly as it did absolutely demoralized them, which is why the main Musou franchises have largely been completely invisible since the pandemic. Like DW9 was embarrassingly bad, to the point at which even James Stephanie Sterling, a DIEHARD DW fan, hated the game and devoted significant time to repeatedly, loudly bashing it. It's the kind of sequel flop you don't see often in the industry, a game that seemed like it was rejected by just about everyone.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Omega Force worked on Fate Remnant and Wild Hearts, yeah.

I still think it's very clear though that DW9's flopping as badly as it did absolutely demoralized them, which is why the main Musou franchises have largely been completely invisible since the pandemic. Like DW9 was embarrassingly bad, to the point at which even James Stephanie Sterling, a DIEHARD DW fan, hated the game and devoted significant time to repeatedly, loudly bashing it.
Yeah I didn't mention wild hearts because i assumed that might be a different team inside Omega Force.

With regards to 9, I think I was softer on it than most, which is funny considering i usually hate open world being shoved into games for no great reason. I saw potential in it, I liked the idea of a grand world with battles, and there was flashes of cool battles like that rarely. I think it could have been an interesting step up from the games normal kinda small maps which don't feel like they ever evolved enough, but it just felt like it released far too early, it felt like an early alpha or something. Not quite sure what they were thinking.

Sadly I assume they'll probably play safe and go back instead of building on it.

Joeschmo

Jul 11, 2018
If you're having framerate issues with WO3, toggle between windowed and borderless in the game's settings and it should run at locked 60 until you close the game. You'll need to do this every time you start it. Starting it in desktop mode also makes it run at locked 60.