• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
I just got what is basically my dream job in San Francisco, so I will be moving out there in a month or so. I'm on the East Coast and never been to San Francisco, what should I know specifically about San Fran?

How is Mission Bay?

Yes, I already know it's expensive as fuck. Sad, but my girlfriend and I have already considered that in our plans.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Don't move into the city, move somewhere further south/east and commute via Caltrain every day. My wife does the commute from Sunnyvale to SF every day.

Are you driving there? Flying? Figure that shit out fast!

What do you want to know? We've been out here a bit over two years.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Don't move into the city, move somewhere further south/east and commute via Caltrain every day. My wife does the commute from Sunnyvale to SF every day.

Are you driving there? Flying? Figure that shit out fast!

What do you want to know? We've been out here a bit over two years.
Is there a reason you say don't live in the city? Would love something that's in walking distance to work.

Flying.

In general, I'm just wondering if there are any specific things about San Francisco I should know, like neighborhoods to avoid, why to not live in the city, great restaurants, etc.

Nice!

Nov 7, 2017
If you and the gf make decent money you should live in the city. Commuting in the Bay Area kinda sucks.

Mission Bay is alright but be prepared to pay minimum $4000 a month for a 1 bedroom.

Try to look for apartments near Outer Mission/Excelsior/Bernal Heights

I would probably avoid Tenderloin at night.....the Mission can be sketchy at night if you are alone but it's usually just some really loud homeless person. Also don't leave shit in your car anywhere you park in the city because there's a high rate of property crime.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
If you and the gf make decent money you should live in the city. Commuting in the Bay Area kinda sucks.

Mission Bay is alright but be prepared to pay minimum $4000 a month for a 1 bedroom.

Try to look for apartments near Outer Mission/Excelsior/Bernal Heights
Thanks. I'm looking for apartments. When you say "it's alright" do you mean because the prices are crazy high, or there's another reason I should think twice about it?

Nov 7, 2017
Thanks. I'm looking for apartments. When you say "it's alright" do you mean because the prices are crazy high, or there's another reason I should think twice about it?
Yea just the high rent prices. Mission Bay is a hot area right now in terms of apartments. It's close to Oracle Park (where the Giants play), Chase Center where the Warriors are gonna play next season, UCSF Mission Bay, and most tech companies have their hqs there

A much cheaper option is staying at Sunset/Richmond neighborhoods. You can get a decent 1/1 for less than $3000 a month but the only downsides are it gets foggy as fuck and it's kinda out of the way from downtown and Mission Bay (I assume that's where you are going to be working at).

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
I've been here for 10 years.

• If you work in tech you'll be in a nicely enclosed bubble with not a whole lot of worries if that's how you want it. Sad but true.
  • You don't need a car if you don't want one
  • The TL/poop problem isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be
  • I find it's possible to live in the city if you don't mind living with other people. It's best to learn how to be a open and honest communicator and live with a big house if you want a room for ~$800-1000/mo. in a good area. With all the expensive housing developments going up to store the tech bros in, the market has got a teensy less hectic.
  • The food is really good
  • Get a bike but not a super good one. Find a handmedown that has some scuffs and DON'T KEEP IT IN A GARAGE OVER NIGHT
  • It's-its are like so-so
  • Learn how to recycle/compost. The rules are always changing, check Recology's website
  • If you see someone that's facing homelessness and/or may have mental health issues, don't call the cops, call an outreach team
  • Everyone is nice and mostly willing to help. Just pay it forward.
  • Buy a good fan for hot days cuz there's a 90% chance your place doesn't have air conditioning.
  • etc etc good luck!

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Yea just the high rent prices. Mission Bay is a hot area right now in terms of apartments. It's close to Oracle Park (where the Giants play), Chase Center where the Warriors are gonna play next season, UCSF Mission Bay, and most tech companies have their hqs there

A much cheaper option is staying at Sunset/Richmond neighborhoods. You can get a decent 1/1 for less than $3000 a month but the only downsides are it gets foggy as fuck and it's kinda out of the way from downtown and Mission Bay (I assume that's where you are going to be working at).
This is good insight. Thanks.

Yeah, I'll be working close to Mission Bay. Honestly, the last thing I want is a long commute. I'm the type of person to turn down a job if the commute is too long. I've heard SF traffic is wild, so if I could live in walking distance, that would be ideal.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
I've been here for 10 years.

• If you work in tech you'll be in a nicely enclosed bubble with not a whole lot of worries if that's how you want it. Sad but true.
  • You don't need a car if you don't want one
  • The TL/poop problem isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be
  • The food is really good
  • Get a bike but not a super good one. Find a handmedown that has some scuffs and DON'T KEEP IT IN A GARAGE OVER NIGHT
  • It's-its are like so-so
  • Learn how to recycle/compost. The rules are always changing, check Recology's website
  • If you see someone that's facing homelessness and/or may have mental health issues, don't call the cops, call an outreach team
  • Everyone is nice and mostly willing to help. Just pay it forward.
  • Buy a good fan for hot days cuz there's a 90% chance your place doesn't have air conditioning.
  • etc etc good luck!
Nice! Thanks man...we have two cars now so we are thinking about if we will need them, or just one, or none...

Nov 7, 2017
This is good insight. Thanks.

Yeah, I'll be working close to Mission Bay. Honestly, the last thing I want is a long commute. I'm the type of person to turn down a job if the commute is too long. I've heard SF traffic is wild, so if I could live in walking distance, that would be ideal.
If you work at UCSF they have a free shuttle service to their campuses (their Parnassus campus is near Inner Sunset). You can also take MUNI which is decent enough (not as good as NY public transportation tho)

Oct 25, 2017
You took a job in a city you've never been to?

You need to book a trip out there ASAP and explore areas to get a feel on things

Oct 29, 2017
Good luck OP. I wouldn't live in that city even if I could afford it.

You need to book a trip out there ASAP and explore areas to get a feel on things

Also this. You are going to spend a lot of money living in a place that you could very well hate.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
If you don't mind a train ride everyday try living a bit outside of the city. Can find good spaces for $1k and.more less than the city proper.

For food what do you enjoy? Since you're from the East coast the variety and flavors of SF's Mexican, korean and Japanese food will probably be quite different and better. But that's west coast pride talking.

Edit: saw that you have cars. Parking can be rough so see what places have available for tenants if anything.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck OP. I wouldn't live in that city even if I could afford it.
Thanks. Why not?

Yeah we will probably go out there soon and check it out before doing anything major.

I got the job, I haven't accepted the offer yet. I'm doing all my research now. This Era thread is just for fun. I'm not nearly as helpless as the thread title made it sound lmao.
If you don't mind a train ride everyday try living a bit outside of the city. Can find good spaces for $1k and.more less than the city proper.

For food what do you enjoy? Since you're from the East coast the variety and flavors of SF's Mexican, korean and Japanese food will probably be quite different and better. But that's west coast pride talking.

Edit: saw that you have cars. Parking can be rough so see what places have available for tenants if anything.
I enjoy all food if it's good. Asian is my favorite cuisine but I like Mexican, Italian, and "American" lol
Call it San Fran again and us natives will come after you.
LMAO noted.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Live in the city IMO. Try it out for a year.

I live in Santa Clara (South Bay) and it's a 2 hour commute with train and walk. Thankfully at this point I'm able to WFH 2-3 days a week but I did that commute for a year and a half and it was brutal. And it's not like it's cheaper here. It can cost $3500 a month if you get an apartment right next to the Sunnyvale Caltrain station.

I'd say experience the city. Try it out for a year. Explore the surrounding cities, see what you like.

May 9, 2018
Mission Bay is a good place to live if you can handle the price (it has received a lot of development lately due to the Warriors Stadium, which has not helped the prices).

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
depending on what you and your partner are making is how you'll decide where you'll want to look for a place to live. if walking to work is a big deal then you're really caging yourself in for a bad time. there's still plenty of affordable stuff in the city, you just gotta know where to look and be patient. I've managed to live in San Francisco for 11 years now despite not making crazy money.

I definitely don't make 10k a month, so that's a hilarious figure.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
For everyone talking about what's crazy expensive, how much are you all talking about we should be making per month to live in the city? Would like to hear it from Era members who live there instead of punching numbers into a standard of living calculator.
Live in the city IMO. Try it out for a year.

I live in Santa Clara (South Bay) and it's a 2 hour commute with train and walk. Thankfully at this point I'm able to WFH 2-3 days a week but I did that commute for a year and a half and it was brutal. And it's not like it's cheaper here. It can cost $3500 a month if you get an apartment right next to the Sunnyvale Caltrain station.

I'd say experience the city. Try it out for a year. Explore the surrounding cities, see what you like.
Thanks. I would die with a 2 hour commute. Appreciate the insight.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
don't live in the city unless you make 10k+ a month.
Thanks for giving a number with your suggestion.

This isn't necessarily true. Also depends on how small you are looking.

Look at richmond district and sunset as well. Commute is easy and it's overlooked a lot.

Mission Bay is getting better

Also look for something built before (i'll have to double check) 1960 as it will have rent control.

I've lived in a wide range of SF districts over the last 13 years.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Nice! Thanks man...we have two cars now so we are thinking about if we will need them, or just one, or none...

Everything timshundo said, plus ditch at least one car.

You can do fine in SF with no car. One at most. A car is just an additional expense that you won't use. Cheaper to just rent or Uber/Lyft when needed.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Is there a reason you say don't live in the city? Would love something that's in walking distance to work.

Flying.

In general, I'm just wondering if there are any specific things about San Francisco I should know, like neighborhoods to avoid, why to not live in the city, great restaurants, etc.

Nice!

It's just less expensive for a family of three to live further out. I *technically* walk to work! Walk to the train, then to the hospital once I get off the train. ;)

There's sooooo much good food in SF and the surrounding area. I think our favorite (though was super pricy) is La Mar with some of the best seafood I've ever had. Surisan was great Korean.

Probably the worst part about not living right in the city is that I can't eat there whenever I want.

shazrobot

Oct 28, 2017
For everyone talking about what's crazy expensive, how much are you all talking about we should be making per month to live in the city? Would like to hear it from Era members who live there instead of punching numbers into a standard of living calculator.

Thanks. I would die with a 2 hour commute. Appreciate the insight.
I mean I make less then 2.5k and do just fine.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I haven't had a car in SF for 7 years. I use zipcar when I really need one. Parking/parking tickets/eternal denting from bad parkers make it not worth it.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I live in Inner Richmond and would highly recommend it. Decently priced (if you can say that about anything in SF), really really quiet neighborhood that has a lot of safe street parking for SF and some good food/bars close by on Geary, Clement, Arguello, Divisidero and Lower Haight etc. Right next to Golden Gate Park and a pretty short bus ride to Downtown.

p.s. if you're going to park on the street you gotta stay on top of the street cleaning scam and make sure your car is on the right side of the street every day. Those tickets are like $75 a pop. I ended up just keeping my car at a friend's place in Oakland and would grab it for the weekends I needed it.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Keep a CLOSE EYE on your tech like laptops and stuff. The no. 1 crime in the entire Bay Area are laptop/tablet thefts, and will smash car windows in parking lots to grab bags and backpacks, in hopes of finding something good. Happened to 2 of my friends already, and there are known crime rings that involve mass tech theft, and then shipping them off in giant containers to other countries in the ports :/ (Phone snatchers are also apparently a thing on transit too, but I've only seen videos of that).

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I live in Inner Richmond and would recommend it. Decently priced, really really quiet neighborhood that has a lot of safe street parking for SF and some good food/bars close by on Geary, Clement, Arguello, Divisidero and Lower Haight etc. Right next to Golden Gate Park and a pretty short bus ride to Downtown.

I agree with this. What's up neighbor.

Thanks! I'm excited about the food. Like really excited.

No kids here.

One thing to keep in mind is that the food is expensive. Eating out puts a pretty big dent into our budget.

Oct 29, 2017

I lived in Alameda in the east bay for 4 years. It was ok but the Bay area is a total cluster fuck if you want to actually go out and do anything. If you plan on staying in the city and never leaving then its fine I guess and the city has a lot of weird interesting things to go do and see. If you want to leave the city, prepare for a battle to go to anything. Muir woods? Forget about it. Also driving in SF is madness, the homeless problem has noticeably gotten worse (been back a few times since).

Frankly, its just way too hectic for me. I always felt stressed going into the city for anything and the east bay aint much better since its basically high crime areas all up and down the 880 corridor.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I would highly recommend visting this area for a week tops before making a commitment to move here. I've lived here 17 years (Jesus I can't believe this is true) and I wouldn't recommend anyone move here if you had a choice. There are WAY too many people here, food is astronomically expensive and everything is clogged up. If I had the choice I would be leaving the Bay Area but my wife wants to stay.

The reason traffic is insane is because no one can really afford to live near their work-hence the 1-2 hour commutes. Everyone has this ideal vision of San Francisco until they actually get here and confront the reality. the roads/bridges are clogged with commutes/Lyft/Uber and because they're so packed everyone else crams into public transportation so literally everything is packed. If you are able to get a house next door to your work, that would be great-but the reality is that's going to be hard to pull off most likely. I've worked with people that commute into San Francisco from Sacramento every day and if that were my life I would be in utter hell.

You're right about Muir Woods. I went recently and you can't even park anywhere nearby. You have to take a shuttle ride from VERY far away to even get there. The logistics are just pure stupidity.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I lived in Alameda in the east bay for 4 years. It was ok but the Bay area is a total cluster fuck if you want to actually go out and do anything. If you plan on staying in the city and never leaving then its fine I guess and the city has a lot of weird interesting things to go do and see. If you want to leave the city, prepare for a battle to go to anything. Muir woods? Forget about it. Also driving in SF is madness, the homeless problem has noticeably gotten worse (been back a few times since).

Frankly, its just way too hectic for me. I always felt stressed going into the city for anything and the east bay aint much better since its basically high crime areas all up and down the 880 corridor.

I used to live in Alameda-great town. Until I decided I wanted to stop renting and become a home owner. Everything there was astronomically expensive and this was back in 2008. I miss it dearly though and visit every chance I get.

You're right about the Bay Area being a clusterfuck. Want to go anywhere other than the spot you live? Be prepared to sit in traffic.

naw...weren't there still some of those closet spaces available at $1200/month!?
all sold out

Oct 29, 2017
I used to live in Alameda-great town. Until I decided I wanted to stop renting and become a home owner. Everything there was astronomically expensive and this was back in 2008. I miss it dearly though and visit every chance I get.

You're right about the Bay Area being a clusterfuck. Want to go anywhere other than the spot you live? Be prepared to sit in traffic.

Yep, I liked Alameda. I was walking distance to Webster street and would haunt the bars there. Wally's Corner was my fav dive. Buying a home in the bay area just seems impossible for most people. This is one of the big reasons why I moved too.

That is kinda hilarious in a sad way.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Living outside of the city and in the surrounding area, and I barely even WANT to go in. Tolls too to put into account, unless you want to go all the way around the peninsula :/ I think it's up to $6+ now? But yeah SF trips need to be early because leaving at the wrong time to just make it back onto the bridge suuuuucks. I feel like every time I do go to the city, there is some big event going on, so a bunch of the streets are closed off for a few blocks and make it more frustrating :x I think I only make it into the city once or twice a year, mostly just for a food place or some museum/event thing with friends.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Thanks! I'm excited about the food. Like really excited.

No kids here.
I would highly recommend visting this area for a week tops before making a commitment to move here. I've lived here 17 years (Jesus I can't believe this is true) and I wouldn't recommend anyone move here if you had a choice. There are WAY too many people here, food is astronomically expensive and everything is clogged up. If I had the choice I would be leaving the Bay Area but my wife wants to stay.

The reason traffic is insane is because no one can really afford to live near their work-hence the 1-2 hour commutes. Everyone has this ideal vision of San Francisco until they actually get here and confront the reality. the roads/bridges are clogged with commutes/Lyft/Uber and because they're so packed everyone else crams into public transportation so literally everything is packed. If you are able to get a house next door to your work, that would be great-but the reality is that's going to be hard to pull off most likely. I've worked with people that commute into San Francisco from Sacramento every day and if that were my life I would be in utter hell.

You're right about Muir Woods. I went recently and you can't even park anywhere nearby. You have to take a shuttle ride from VERY far away to even get there. The logistics are just pure stupidity.

This is why after living in Vallejo for a spell I moved back into the city because the commute wasn't worth it. Luckly got a reasonably priced rent controlled one bedroom in the inner richmond in 14. Wife and I have found similar units in outer richmond and outer sunset but inner richmond is too good of a district for us to consider moving. Though since we are considering having a kid soon a countdown on leaving our place could happen real soon.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Oct 27, 2017

This is good insight. Appreciate the post. Sounds like there's a tough time commuting and that's the crux of the issue.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
OP since you know how much you will be making and where you will be working you can do research on housing to see if you can afford to rent near work

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just got what is basically my dream job in San Francisco, so I will be moving out there in a month or so. I'm on the East Coast and never been to San Francisco, what should I know specifically about San Fran?

How is Mission Bay?

Yes, I already know it's expensive as fuck. Sad, but my girlfriend and I have already considered that in our plans.

I didn't care for it when I visited. I was told to avoid an area called The Tenderoin if I didn't want to get stabbed or step in human waste.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
If you want to save money, you can live in the outskirts of SF and save quiet a bit - I'm talking Sunset, Excelsior, Ingleside areas. The commute will be 30 minutes to an hour though.

I pay half to a third of what my friends deeper in the city pay, but I also live right above Daly City in the southern most point in SF.

Regarding the car situation, it really depends on where you live. For the outskirts area, a car is necessary. Anywhere Mission District or deeper I would say you don't need one.

I wouldn't recommend living out of SF or Oakland if your work is in SF - the commute is really bad. Places like San Mateo are nice, but getting yourself to Downtown SF is torture.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
OP, what kind of rent range you looking for? Also what size? Are you willing to live in a studio to avoid commute or pay a bit extra for a 1 BR?

Last edited:

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I agree with this. What's up neighbor.

Hella neighbors.

Traffic is terrible because all of the wealthy communities outside of SF neutered BART because they didn't want the homeless and anyone lesser than them to have easy access to their exclusive communities. 40+ years later the population has exploded and we have a single track BART that has to be shutdown every night for maintenance and doesn't go nearly enough places. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I really like the pizza at The East End in Alameda!

Last edited: