New Box City

Oct 27, 2017
I'm torn on for what platform to buy this game. I do prefer handheld gaming to the big screen but can anyone attest to the performance on steam deck? I also have a Series X if the steam deck just isn't capable.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn on for what platform to buy this game. I do prefer handheld gaming to the big screen but can anyone attest to the performance on steam deck? I also have a Series X if the steam deck just isn't capable.
I did a search yesterday and apparently it runs very well on Steam Deck. Maybe not solid 60, but seems like a 30 or 40 fps cap runs liek a dream. The PC specs are very low

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
This will be one of "screw the reviews" kind of game. Cool vehicles with smooth transition? Checked. Large worlds to explore? Checked. Toriyama Akira arts? Checked.

That's all I need.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Really wanted to grab this but tried the demo and the performance was unacceptably poor with nonstop shader stutter and not really sure if I want to run the risk again with the full release. Hope they can add some precompilation or something. Tried forcing dx11 but the game looks worse and while the performance is a bit better it was still pretty bad. Tried using dxvk async but got errors. Oh well.

As someone with an older rig (i7-7700k, RTX 2070), the game is running flawlessly for me. There was some minor shader stutter during the intro cutscenes, but after the scenes with Rao's introduction they've been totally gone and it's been smooth as butter. And this is with everything turned up to max and running at 1440p.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
About 12h in and loving it, while the PC version is really awful stutter wise I'm shocked at how good the sidequests are... Just did the sister sidequest and I was floored by the end

My only really big complaint is defeating high level enemies and doing sidequests gives such a small amount of XP that the player can basically ignore them because there's no real incentive

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
About 12h in and loving it, while the PC version is really awful stutter wise I'm shocked at how good the sidequests are... Just did the sister sidequest and I was floored by the end

My only really big complaint is defeating high level enemies and doing sidequests gives such a small amount of XP that the player can basically ignore them because there's no real incentive
Just to let you know, quite a few sidequests have multiple endings.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I'm about 10 hours in.

I've soured on it. The open world is not a good open world with invisible walls and too many ravines that you can't cross. This breaks up the map and takes away the feeling of an open world imo.

The story is trash and the main mission gameplay is not very good. It's very disjointed, you spend too much time traveling through boring dungeonesque ships and ruins and many of the cutscenes happen in weird places with weird timing.

I'm going to mainline it and get rid of it.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Where does the story take place? Like is it condensed version of anime/manga like the usual licensed anime games or new story or after the anime?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Where does the story take place? Like is it condensed version of anime/manga like the usual licensed anime games or new story or after the anime?

I haven't read/watched any other Sand Land media but I'm sure I saw in a review that it's a direct adaptation of the source material.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
I'm enjoying playing this alongside Stellar Blade. Feels a lot more relaxing after an hour parrying everything in sight.

Is there no way to have the text auto progress though? Having to continually click to advance is a bit annoying.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I suppose this game is bombing given it doesn't even have an OT on a gaming forum and nobody seems to talk about it in larger circles ?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying playing this alongside Stellar Blade. Feels a lot more relaxing after an hour parrying everything in sight.

Is there no way to have the text auto progress though? Having to continually click to advance is a bit annoying.

If you leave it a bit longer after they've finished speaking, they continue. It's not very natural though, it takes a while!

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
I'm enjoying it, although even on hard it's still really frictionless.

It's a very holistic experience - none of the individual mechanics are that special, but between the exploration, side-quests, combat, customisation, not to mention the sheer charm of the world and its characters, there's enough here to keep me coming back.

It's not perfect, but it's definitely a cut above your average tie-in game. Shame it seems to be getting overlooked.

Robotoboy

Banned
Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
I'm about 10 hours in.
I've soured on it. The open world is not a good open world with invisible walls and too many ravines that you can't cross. This breaks up the map and takes away the feeling of an open world imo.

To be fair the game seems to treat its world as a sort of metroidvania since a lot of other pathways and secrets can be hidden behind things like stronger rocks, high cliffs, ramps and crates and stuff.

Also I definitely agree the game has a ton of jank, but I enjoy it. It's very Megaman Legends-esque. Seems like a highly divisive game for a lot of people. You either love it, or hate it. For me it's harkening back to PS2 era games, and I'm sort of in love with it for that reason.

I'm enjoying it, although even on hard it's still really frictionless.

It's a very holistic experience - none of the individual mechanics are that special, but between the exploration, side-quests, combat, customisation, not to mention the sheer charm of the world and its characters, there's enough here to keep me coming back.

It's not perfect, but it's definitely a cut above your average tie-in game. Shame it seems to be getting overlooked.

I have run into a few bosses that have given me a little trouble, but I haven't run into too many issues yet.

It's like an expanded version of the anime/manga if anything.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of putting together an OT this weekend but it feels like it would be wasted which fills me with sorrow šŸ˜”

I hope a bunch of other people are enjoying this comfort food as much as I am.

Hfqmw9.png

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of putting together an OT this weekend but it feels like it would be wasted which fills me with sorrow šŸ˜”

I hope a bunch of other people are enjoying this comfort food as much as I am.

I am definitely enjoying Sand Land. Supposed to be going to some Junker's Market but that was several hours ago and I'm just wandering the desert in a tank, loving the music and ambience and occasional giant scorpion combats.

wasylycia

Jan 11, 2024
picked this up after reading thru this thread and am having a great time. excited to see how far the vehicle stuff goes, just got the jump bot

question: i picked up a part for the "option" vehicle slot but can't seem to equip it, anyone run into this? i see it in my inventory and it doesn't look like it's level gated so not sure what I'm missing

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
picked this up after reading thru this thread and am having a great time. excited to see how far the vehicle stuff goes, just got the jump bot

question: i picked up a part for the "option" vehicle slot but can't seem to equip it, anyone run into this? i see it in my inventory and it doesn't look like it's level gated so not sure what I'm missing
Options are vehicle specific I believe so is it maybe for something else or one you don't have yet?

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Probably not the game for me, but it's an interesting looking game at least so tried the demo on PC and the resolution/scaling is extremely odd. No DLSS/FSR, but the Resolution Scale setting of High/Medium/Low does nothing in terms of visual quality/perf so that setting seems broken.

However, changing the actual rendering resolution instead seems to alter some form of reconstruction, rather than actually changing the output res. Like running at 4k and setting the resolution to 1440p doesn't change the output res - it still looks "4k" and decidedly not 1440p (there's not even a split second of screen flicker/adjustment), but you'll notice some slightly flickering artifacts on foliage now.

So it looks like it's maybe using UE4's TAA upscaling, and have incorrectly mapped that to the actual rendering resolution setting instead of the Resolution Scale setting? Dunno, odd.

No excuse for no shader precompilation though. I mean sure I doubt I'll be buying this game anytime soon, but goddamn if a game hasn't been featured on DF there's basically zero chance this stuff will ever be addressed. I'm still seeing UE games released on a monthly basis it seems that make no attempt to address shader stuttering, it's beyond pathetic at this point. It's 2024 people.

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to do all side quests and man this game is so satisfying.
I feel like I'm playing extremely beefed up PS2/3 era game which is exactly what I was looking for.
No loading time, gorgeous graphics, Toriyama designed characters and Machines.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
I only played the demo. But, I only experienced some minor shader hiccups for about 15 minutes. And then it was totally smooth after that. But, I do have some nice hardware and keep my Windows 11 install in fresh shape.

wasylycia

Jan 11, 2024
one thing i do wish they patch in is checking completed things off the map. like there's a bandit camp that says hostile when i hover over it even tho i ran thru it like 4 times, and im not sure if it's just cuz enemies eventually respawn or if it glitched or whatever

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
61% done with the main story according to the activity cards after 27 hours played.

I had a feeling about this game since I saw the reveal and it has lived up to it in spades.