• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Something that still doesn't quite feel right somehow is seeing the likes of a PlayStation logo on Linux. Anyway, the smash hit God of War is now on Steam and works right away on Linux. You can thank Steam Play Proton for that.

It's hard to believe the changing face of gaming sometimes. Previously console exclusive games now coming to PC more often. A trend I hope to see continue for years to come. Of course the new release comes with the kinds of things you would expect like enhanced graphics, ultra-wide support, NVIDIA DLSS, AMD FSR and so on.

There's some really heavy stuttering though with an NVIDIA GPU. As always with more graphically intense games built for Windows and run through Proton, they need time to build up a shader cache. Once that is done, eventually Steam will have it to give out while the game downloads for your machine to sort it ahead of time. So, if you want a smooth experience, it usually pays to wait a week or so. That said, if you want to put up with the stuttering for a bit, don't let us stop you as outside of that, it seems to play quite brilliantly.

Like me, you might find that the lip-syncing voice audio is completely off though. It's possible you can fix that by adding this as a Steam launch option:

PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 %command%
In my own testing, that made it match up perfectly.
Via Gamingonlinux.com article

I guess this means..

steamDeckGames+=1;

:P

Last edited:

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a good week for big releases running out the box on Linux. First, Monster Hunter: Rise and now this.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
If it runs with Steam's Proton it means that it'll run on Steam Deck, right? Curious to see how it'll perform.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
This year, a handheld PC is going to be capable of playing God of War 2018, Halo Infinite, and Breath of the Wild. What a world

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Really glad to hear. However, the last paragraph is what got me about getting too excited for Linux gaming and the Deck. It's not enough for it just to work out of the box, you might have to tweak games a bit with launch commands or maybe other settings to get them to work perfectly. Hopefully Valve starts manually checking all big releases before they hit and get that sorted out.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Really glad to hear. However, the last paragraph is what got me about getting too excited for Linux gaming and the Deck. It's not enough for it just to work out of the box, you might have to tweak games a bit with launch commands or maybe other settings to get them to work perfectly. Hopefully Valve starts manually checking all big releases before they hit and get that sorted out.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I would play it again if my Steam Deck got here before Ragnarok did.

Jul 7, 2021
How? Like legitimately or illegally?

I've been playing it in ultra-wide 60 FPS 3440x1440p and with double the view distance. Looks gorgeous. I had my friend with a modded wiiU rip my copy.

Unfortunately, I wanted to play it again recently but I lost my rip. So now I have to see if I can get in contact with my friend again or see how much of a hassle/expense it would be to pick up a modded wiiU.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
This is how you fucking do it! I hope more Sony games do this for the future.

Actually, isn't Sony still using Linux (technically) on the PS5 just with an x86 architecture? If so, I assume it would be more straightforward with Sony games to be able to work on Linux? Or is that a no?

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
People always say this but that's got to be a legal grey area right?
Piracy is illegal, breaking DRM can be illegal.
Making digital copies of your game, OS that you own, and playing them on your PC totally legal.

PCSX2 is completely legal for example, if you have a PS2, and you use it to take the bios off of it. And you own all the games you play on it, by ripping each disc. If you go to that extent, all the emulation that you're doing is completely legal. Not even legal grey area, the courts have considered it as fair use.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it runs with Steam's Proton it means that it'll run on Steam Deck, right? Curious to see how it'll perform.
It should, yeah. It looks like Sony was excessively conservative on the minimum specs, and we might get 720p 30FPS on Original settings on the Deck, which would honestly be pretty impressive for a handheld.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
This is how you fucking do it! I hope more Sony games do this for the future.

Actually, isn't Sony still using Linux (technically) on the PS5 just with an x86 architecture? If so, I assume it would be more straightforward with Sony games to be able to work on Linux? Or is that a no?
No it's a Windows game.
Damn it.

Imagine playing 60+ hour rpgs on the go. I really need this.
People have been doing this for decades lol

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
PS4/PS5 systems run their own OS based on FreeBSD. There are more OS than Linux (which itself is a very big umbrella) or Windows.

I get that, but I was more asking if games are meant for PS4/PS5 originally, are they somewhat of the way there already to work on Linux or not? I got my answer now. Thank you.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that like the Monster Hunter game that just came out Valve was able to get a prerelease copy to make sure it worked. Hopefully they continue to do that with major game releases after the Steamdeck releases.