Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of awards don't mean anything to any big company when it doesn't translate into sales. It's not rocket science people lol.
If sales are still a relevant metric for a game being shadowdropped on Game Pass day 1, then it's clear they literally have no clue what they're doing. It goes against any reasonable and natural logic.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
No I'm surprised at the level of disbelief people are showing at the news that's it.
And so you're demanding proof of things like which awards they won and sales numbers...because? You clearly have an agenda beyond stating you're surprised. Are you trying to convince everyone that they should have been shut down?

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
No I'm surprised at the level of disbelief people are showing at the news that's it.
It's not hard to understand why, though. Hi-Fi Rush was Xbox's most successful game in years, having won an award at pretty much every award show in the past year, and it has a strong word of mouth. Even if you don't believe what Xbox executives say, you have to at least acknowledge that. Microsoft then proceeded to say they need more games like Hi-Fi Rush, despite shutting down the studio behind it. People are in disbelief because there is seemingly no winning with Xbox and they will shut down studios regardless of whether they are currently doing well or not.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I mean shit on MS and Xbox all you want for the Tango-closure but where is this "award-winning, hearts-conquering, mind-boggling" games output talk coming from ?
Hif-rush was a failure sales-wise (I bet it didn't even sell a million on steam, did it sell half a million atleast ?) and ghostwire tokyo was a mega-dud from all possible fronts. Some good gamepass numbers don't offset what's clear hard facts in front of you.

This you?

Wake up babe, its "Is gamepass profitable?" time again. Yes the one where gamers project their biases and pull math out of their ass to put down perhaps the best value service in gaming.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
And so you're demanding proof of things like which awards they won and sales numbers...because? You clearly have an agenda beyond stating you're surprised. Are you trying to convince everyone that they should have been shut down?
Again, I knew about the awards it won but that doesn't give us the whole picture as people are trying to paint this thing.
Who am I to convince anyone of anything when I myself don't have any new inside-info lol.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The gigantic shitshow around Tango's closure exists because HiFi Rush was one of the few actually positive and zeitgeist blips in Xbox's recent history.

Nov 8, 2017
Because I'm not a fool who buys into the corpo-marketing speak.

They very frequently say nothing about rumours or speculation - they just ignore it. That's the normal behaviour. Certainly this wasn't even on the same planet as an important news story that would move the stock price at the time, necessitating an immediate response, but they chose to speak publicly and make statements that it succeeded by their metrics.

I have no reason to doubt that, because the budget was quite modest, far smaller than most of Microsoft's games, it got great reviews, great community buzz, and it posted decent sales numbers on Steam for a game that launched day and date into a subscription service. As a point of reference, Forspoken was a much more expensive project which also had a day-and-date PC release on Steam, and they both launched around the same time, and Hi Fi Rush posted not just higher sales numbers but also outperformed it by revenue on the platform, no small feat when Forspoken had over 2x the RRP. People have also compared it earlier to Forza motorsports - another much more expensive game that Hi Fi Rush pulled more sales numbers than on the platform.

Why would Greenberg go out of his way to comment on a rumour just to tell a very direct lie? The most parsimonuious explanation is that Hi Fi Rush did pretty decently, met Xbox's commercial expectations, and exceeded their critical expectations.

We already had Schrier come out and clarify that one of the factors in shutting the team down was not that it was singularly unprofitable and unsuccessful, but simply that they were required to make harsh cuts and Tango Gameworks happened to be one of the farthest teams from releasing anything. Hi Fi Rush didn't do so overwhelmingly well that it saved the studio, but that doesn't mean it didn't do pretty well for what it was, a mid budget title.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The gigantic shitshow around Tango's closure exists because HiFi Rush was one of the few actually positive and zeitgeist blips in Xbox's recent history.

Yep, it's one of their freshest and most original games in years. And maybe it didn't set the charts on fire with sales, but it was a new IP that reached 3 million + players. There is value in continuing to expand that brand so one day it can be profitable. Do a collaboration with an animation studio to do an animated series, merchandise, comics, hell, a sequel that is actually marketed properly!

And what do they do, piss it down the drain.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Hi-Fi Rush was Xbox's most successful game in years
Critically and in terms of awards and general sentiment, yes. But games like Grounded and Starfield were played by far more people.

I agree with what you're saying and I'm as upset and angry about Tango as anyone, but I think saying that it was the most successful Xbox game in years is not fully accurate.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Critically and in terms of awards and general sentiment, yes. But games like Grounded and Starfield were played by far more people.

I agree with what you're saying and I'm as upset and angry about Tango as anyone, but I think saying that it was the most successful Xbox game in years is not fully accurate.
"success" has a lot of meanings

Xbox had/has a narrative problem

that they don't have games BELOVED

oh hey, hi-fi is BELOVED

let's capitalize on that press!

aaaaaaaand ya fuvkin CLOSED

AndrewDTF

Nov 25, 2019
Ru really not that smart or what? It doesnt matter what metacritic or steam rating your games have, Tango closed because their games constantly flop in terms of sales. No matter who owned them Bethesda or Xbox

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, if it wasn't clear to you when you went up digging my post history lmao. GP is best-value deal in gaming to me, what of it ?
You're very eagerly using unit sales to justify the closing of a studio and the resulting job losses having less than two months ago mocked those who question the profitability of Game Pass, a service on which their last game appeared day one in a shadow drop announcement.

This enthusiastic defence of a trillion dollar company when it does the obscene is gross.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
There's only so much that can be read into Tango's closure. I mean, the circumstances surrounding it are shitty as all hell, but if devs like Insomniac and Naughty Dog aren't immune to layoffs, then who is?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
There's only so much that can be read into Tango's closure. I mean, the circumstances surrounding it are shitty as all hell, but if devs like Insomniac and Naughty Dog aren't immune to layoffs, then who is?
when this eventually creeps up on Nintendo this shit is gonna get

extra fucking depressing

MrCuddles

Oct 28, 2017
You're very eagerly using unit sales to justify the closing of a studio and the resulting job losses having less than two months ago mocked those who question the profitability of Game Pass, a service on which their last game appeared day one in a shadow drop announcement.

This enthusiastic defence of a trillion dollar company when it does the obscene is gross.

100% this

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
And Hi-Rush was hampered in sales because of Game Pass
Not talking specifically about Hi-Fi Rush here, but not everyone who plays games on Game Pass would buy those games if they didn't launch on Game Pass. I'm sure some would, but it's entirely possible that even fewer people would experience the games and then you have fewer people talking about them and evangelising them.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017

I was defending "gamepass the service as it holds value to me" there not the company behind it and I couldn't care less whether its profitable or not.

I AM NOT DEFEDNING MS/XBOX FOR TANGO CLOSURE FFS

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I was defending "gamepass the service as it holds value to me" there not the company behind it and I couldn't care less whether its profitable or not.

I AM NOT DEFEDNING MS/XBOX FOR TANGO CLOSURE FFS
Yeah you have been.

You even posted debunked bullshit about Mikami leaving Tango and gutting the studio on his way out as justification for their closure.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's one of their freshest and most original games in years. And maybe it didn't set the charts on fire with sales, but it was a new IP that reached 3 million + players. There is value in continuing to expand that brand so one day it can be profitable. Do a collaboration with an animation studio to do an animated series, merchandise, comics, hell, a sequel that is actually marketed properly!

And what do they do, piss it down the drain.
Imagine having a "long-term business strategy" when you can burn it all down for short-term metrics.

If having critically-successful, "smaller" games to add value to Game Pass is no longer an aim, I have to wonder how soon the other shoe will drop on GP as whole.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Yeah you have been.

You even posted debunked bullshit about Mikami leaving Tango and gutting the studio on his way out as justification for their closure.
maybe read that again, it was just speculation. I even started that with " I might be wrong...." lmao

So mikami left and nobody else did with him and that left the studio in no worse state than before right ? Ok, I take it as a fact if it's fact now, happy?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just want to know what happens when the next Xbox sells 15 units, because they have tanked any reason for anyone to own one

They have a showcase next month, which they're now going into with a cloud over them

It's just unforced error, after unforced error

I have no idea what their grand plan looks like, as it seems like they want to sabotage Game Pass with price hikes and studio closures ensuring they have fewer games coming to the service

They want to tank their hardware by putting out all their exclusive games on other systems

They want to tank their own first party titles by putting them all on GP day 1 so that anyone can play them for a tenner in the first month, and then shut studios down when those games don't make millions and millions

It's just an endless descending spiral of poor choice after poor choice

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Also, far be from it me to defend a corpo, but sticking Sarah Bond with the hard questions while the rest of Microsoft fucks off is lame.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
I understand who says that compenies don't care about winning awards and just want their games to sale, it makes perfect sense, but the problem is their strategy.

I if want best-sellers, why did they greenlit HiFi Rush to begin with?
Hellblade sold 1 million copies in one year on ps4 and PC, basically nothing for a company like Microsoft, why did they acquire Ninja Theory to make them develop Hellblade 2?

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
maybe read that again, it was just speculation. I even started that with " I might be wrong...." lmao

So mikami left and nobody else did with him and that left the studio in no worse state than before right ? Ok, I take it as a fact if it's fact now, happy?
You've been quick to question a good number (20K +) of overwhelmingly good reviews about a game that was sold (probably one of the best Microsoft games released on steam ever), you're curiously always giving the benefit of the doubt towards the studio slayer first.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
Timestamped for people who want the higher quality version:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS2OGYL11IA&t=7280s

EDIT: Media doesn't seem to work, so here is just the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS2OGYL11IA&t=7280s

Thanks for the timestamp. What a terrible response to the question.

I really fear for Ninja Theory, they are about to release a game that will likely review well and have good numbers on Gamepass but I cannot see it lighting up the sales charts. They then pitch another game that will take 5 or 6 years to release.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I understand who says that compenies don't care about winning awards and just want their games to sale, it makes perfect sense, but the problem is their strategy.

I if want best-sellers, why did they greenlit HiFi Rush to begin with?
Hellblade sold 1 million copies in one year on ps4 and PC, basically nothing for a company like Microsoft, why did they acquire Ninja Theory to make them develop Hellblade 2?

I think the issue is MS keeps changing their long term grand strategy every 6 months, so when those games were greenlit, they were part of what MS wanted to do. Build a strong first party and produce lots of good games that bring value to GP

That's clearly not the plan anymore

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Also, far be from it me to defend a corpo, but sticking Sarah Bond with the hard questions while the rest of Microsoft fucks off is lame.

It's not like every Microsoft executive wasn't coached ad nauseum on what to say publicly and had a list of talking points to pull from. You can see the mental gymnastics going on as she pulls a rehearsed response that was carefully written by legal and the PR team. Sarah, Booty, Phil would all be saying the same things.

Plus, and I hope this doesn't come across bad, but she went to Yale and Harvard - I think she is completely capable of handling this situation just fine on her own.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know what happens when the next Xbox sells 15 units, because they have tanked any reason for anyone to own one

They have a showcase next month, which they're now going into with a cloud over them

It's just unforced error, after unforced error

I have no idea what their grand plan looks like, as it seems like they want to sabotage Game Pass with price hikes and studio closures ensuring they have fewer games coming to the service

They want to tank their hardware by putting out all their exclusive games on other systems

They want to tank their own first party titles by putting them all on GP day 1 so that anyone can play them for a tenner in the first month, and then shut studios down when those games don't make millions and millions

It's just an endless descending spiral of poor choice after poor choice
The grand plan is clear: become Activision, focusing entirely on blockbuster franchises and channelling development resources into getting them out more often and onto every platform.

They don't want to be in the console hardware business.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Ru really not that smart or what? It doesnt matter what metacritic or steam rating your games have, Tango closed because their games constantly flop in terms of sales. No matter who owned them Bethesda or Xbox
Their buisness model is something that makes game sales a near pointless metric though. Like you buy a bunch of studios, most of which didn't have big sellers consistently despite the high quality. MS can't be shocked when they don't sell particularly well still when they are terrible at marketing the games and release on 2 platforms, 1 of which the majority of the spending userbase can get their games day 1 for no additional cost.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
It's a bad interview and she does look completely drained.

On the other hand it could have been a lot worse, I feel the interviewer didn't even attempt to follow up for an actual answer once.

I do wonder if this was scheduled before this decision was made, and they couldn't back out of it.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
It's not like every Microsoft executive wasn't coached ad nauseum on what to say publicly and had a list of talking points to pull from. You can see the mental gymnastics going on as she pulls a rehearsed response that was carefully written by legal and the PR team. Sarah, Booty, Phil would all be saying the same things.

Plus, and I hope this doesn't come across bad, but she went to Yale and Harvard - I think she is completely capable of handling this situation just fine on her own.
Right right.
Still feels like she pulled the short straw this time.