• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Yeah, that would definitely explain why Homestuck oosplayers were so hated.

Also, I didn't et into the fandom but hear about Hussie's infamous ability to troll his own fanbase.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty fascinating video. Although she doesn't really touch on why everything went off the rails once the OG comic ended and it's pretty clear why. Money. After a certain point it's no longer "the comic" it becomes, "the franchise."

And LOL at the dog penis thing. Like, holy hell wtf.

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda understand why this video might only be done by someone who was a homestuck fan, but also would have been far more interesting if it had been a more objective video. Very drama focused and largely ignores any actual examination of how the anemic popularity came about in favor of 'boy homestuck was great and I loved it of course it became popular'.

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the video yet, though I plan to over the next couple of days or so. Generally I am able to separate an annoying or toxic fanbase from the material they are fans of, but considering how Homestuck was created I can't help but think of it as a series essentially ruined by its fanbase. I was a big fan of Problem Sleuth and early Homestuck. I did end up sticking with Homestuck all the way to the end, though I admit the Gigapause sucked most of my remaining interest in the project, so my response to the ending was more of a, 'oh, I guess that finally ended, huh.'

My impression of Andrew Hussie in the parts of his comics I enjoyed was that he is an author that liked screwing with his audience/players. Parts of the 'games' were made intentionally obtuse or convoluted as a joke to have the 'players' have a hard time trying to deal with this bullshit, but you know, in a funny way. Like the whole gun/key thing in Problem Sleuth or the kids' annoying inventory systems in Homestuck. These things hung around to mess with the readers until the joke wasn't funny anymore in which case they got dropped, like when the kids all suddenly got normal inventory systems. The joke ran its course and now it was time to move on.

I felt like the troll romance system was supposed to be this kind of overly complicated parody of shippers. You thought pairing up one character with another was your thing? Well now every character can pair up with FOUR other characters with varying types of pairings, only a crazy person would want to make sense of this! Then it turned out that the Homestuck fanbase was full of crazy people who absolutely wanted to make sense of this. Whoops. And all these fans were willing to pour a ton of money into the merch, so why wouldn't Hussie just give them more of what they wanted? So it felt like a shift where all the overly complicated parts were totally un-ironic now, where this silly comic had a super serious lore and a billion characters now and it just wasn't for me anymore.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching this now as someone with basically no background or knowledge in Homestuck whatsoever and what I'm finding fascinating is the degree to which Hussie just...continues to seemingly be bad at leading this operation? I'm saying this very specifically as someone who also has experience working on a Kickstarter that raised significantly more money than expected and turned into an entire operation with a real staff: the mistakes early on are mistakes that I made. The mistakes later on are...uh, the same type of mistakes? Eight years later?

Watching now. I was sort of peripherally aware of Homestuck, but couldn't really get into it, so it's nice to have somebody lay it all out.

Where it crosses into my interests is the stuff with Odd Gentleman. For years I heard that they blew off Homestuck which struck me as such a shitty thing to do and made me feel like a bad person for enjoying their King's Quest game. It's good to hear a little more detail on that, and if the newer revelations are true then I don't necessarily think there is actually a "bad guy" here, since it sounds entirely possible - even likely - that Hussie just was coming in to things with out a real understanding of the undertaking. So it sucks - particularly for backers - and deserves criticisms, but there isn't necessarily any malice on anyone's part.
The Odd Gentlemen bit immediately stood out to me as "Oh this guy doesn't actually understand project management especially managing a third party" which yeah, been there before

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Most interesting part of this so far is the kickstarter stuff, like hearing about things like that and how/why they went wrong

any good vid/docs on stuff like that?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through the rest of this thread and wow they sound like some real jackasses over there huh?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I have to say, despite being pretty involved in fandom for most of my life and thus being aware of what she covers, I really don't care for Sarah Z as a youtuber. Like I guess there's a ton of research done and it was fun being like "oh I remember that, but it's like reading a Wiki page. She never has anything interesting to say or unique analysis to offer. It's just like "welp, here it is /chucks it all on the table". I tried to watch this and it was fun to reminisce for a bit but then I just got bored and shut it off.

That might be part of it. I agree that these videos are summaries more than analyses, but that's great for me as someone who's only peripherally heard of these things.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched the video yet, though I plan to over the next couple of days or so. Generally I am able to separate an annoying or toxic fanbase from the material they are fans of, but considering how Homestuck was created I can't help but think of it as a series essentially ruined by its fanbase. I was a big fan of Problem Sleuth and early Homestuck. I did end up sticking with Homestuck all the way to the end, though I admit the Gigapause sucked most of my remaining interest in the project, so my response to the ending was more of a, 'oh, I guess that finally ended, huh.'

My impression of Andrew Hussie in the parts of his comics I enjoyed was that he is an author that liked screwing with his audience/players. Parts of the 'games' were made intentionally obtuse or convoluted as a joke to have the 'players' have a hard time trying to deal with this bullshit, but you know, in a funny way. Like the whole gun/key thing in Problem Sleuth or the kids' annoying inventory systems in Homestuck. These things hung around to mess with the readers until the joke wasn't funny anymore in which case they got dropped, like when the kids all suddenly got normal inventory systems. The joke ran its course and now it was time to move on.

I felt like the troll romance system was supposed to be this kind of overly complicated parody of shippers. You thought pairing up one character with another was your thing? Well now every character can pair up with FOUR other characters with varying types of pairings, only a crazy person would want to make sense of this! Then it turned out that the Homestuck fanbase was full of crazy people who absolutely wanted to make sense of this. Whoops. And all these fans were willing to pour a ton of money into the merch, so why wouldn't Hussie just give them more of what they wanted? So it felt like a shift where all the overly complicated parts were totally un-ironic now, where this silly comic had a super serious lore and a billion characters now and it just wasn't for me anymore.

This sounds about right. Stuff that started as an ironic/jokey take ended up as beloved by a set of eager fans who were willing to dump money into it. Why wouldn't you take it more seriously then?

This video also made me revisit Problem Sleuth. Still holds up. I love Ace Dick.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
I'm almost afraid to ask but...if I liked Undertale, would I like Homestuck?

Maybe. The thing I find most special about Homestuck is it's ability to capture what the internet felt like as a kid. If you ever used a chat client like AIM then the text dumps will work better when they start happening, as it all takes place through chat logs. And it does have Toby Fox's incredible music, along with a lot from other artists. I like the trolls, but so much of what works with Act 5 builds off of what came before. And the shifting of the story as it expands into something unwieldy is a lot of fun.

It doesn't have the best start, but once things pick up around the end of Act 1 and music starts being introduced, it becomes a lot more fun. Based on other posts of yours, I think you'd enjoy it. Mind you, I got a majority of the way through and didn't enjoy waiting to read a panel when it was posted after having caught up from the beginning.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Here's her update comment, which contains a few clarifications.

If you're a backer of the immensely ill-fated game, you can read What Pumpkin's statements here:
www.kickstarter.com

Update 36: Hiveswap · Homestuck Adventure Game

This update is only viewable by backers of this project
They posted an image from The Odd Gentlemen version of the game in early 2014 which looks really rough:
62ec22b91146c98935201ed4952f83e1_original.png

Really they should just cancel Hiveswap and give us a Problem Sleuth game, because Problem Sleuth is so much better.

Thanks for the heads up. I read this section and couldn't help but laugh:

This prototype, linked above, was sent to WP on 2/18/14. At this point, it was becoming a significant concern among backers that WP had yet to show proof that the game was being made, so WP was looking for any sort of tangible progress update from GC that was suitable to share with the public. But Hussie and WP found the quality of the prototype somewhat alarming, and decided that sharing any shots from the game would only cause embarrassment for GC. Nevertheless, WP was still willing to assume that this was a very early draft of something that would develop into a more promising product soon, and gave GC some more time to improve on it.

Yes, it would be embarrassing only for GC and definitely not everyone. How kind of them to withhold that.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe. The thing I find most special about Homestuck is it's ability to capture what the internet felt like as a kid. If you ever used a chat client like AIM then the text dumps will work better when they start happening, as it all takes place through chat logs. And it does have Toby Fox's incredible music, along with a lot from other artists. I like the trolls, but so much of what works with Act 5 builds off of what came before. And the shifting of the story as it expands into something unwieldy is a lot of fun.

It doesn't have the best start, but once things pick up around the end of Act 1 and music starts being introduced, it becomes a lot more fun. Based on other posts of yours, I think you'd enjoy it. Mind you, I got a majority of the way through and didn't enjoy waiting to read a panel when it was posted after having caught up from the beginning.
Started reading Problem Sleuth since I kept seeing advice to read that first. Apparently has some future relevance to Homestuck.

About nine chapters in. Its the kind of dumb shit I can get behind even if the point and click adventure game gimmick does nothing for me.

Whole thing kind of seems like an interesting writing challenge. He's throwing so much weird shit together and bundle it over and over like a russian nesting doll situation with multiple versions of each character that he's following at one time along with whatever bizarre twist he decides to add next. Its entertainingly convoluted.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Started reading Problem Sleuth since I kept seeing advice to read that first. Apparently has some future relevance to Homestuck.

About nine chapters in. Its the kind of dumb shit I can get behind even if the point and click adventure game gimmick does nothing for me.

Whole thing kind of seems like an interesting writing challenge. He's throwing so much weird shit together and bundle it over and over like a russian nesting doll situation with multiple versions of each character that he's following at one time along with whatever bizarre twist he decides to add next. Its entertainingly convoluted.

I haven't actually read problem sleuth, but entertainingly convoluted is absolutely correct. I'm probably going to read it soon just to cover bases. I'll say one thing since I'm revisiting homestuck for the first time in years:

It uses retarded a fair amount early on. It works okayish in a 2009 context when it's 13 year olds saying it, but every once in a while the narrator does and it's always awkward. I know that mostly goes away later and it's definitely lessened, but that sticks out.

On the other hand, it's also a lot funnier and charming than I remember. And a lot of the convolution makes much more sense this go about. It really seems like there was a general plan.

Oct 25, 2017

Problem Sleuth is great, but Homestuck, at least the original comic, has like zero direct connections to Problem Sleuth. The closest is the characters of the Midnight Crew, who were originally used in a non-canon Problem Sleuth side comic.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Problem Sleuth is basically a Rube Goldberg machine in narrative form. It's incredible.

Rube_Goldberg%27s_%22Self-Operating_Napkin%22_%28cropped%29.gif

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched this yet, but I love that video essay youtube can just turn legal threats into more content now.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017

The "legal" document read over about 15 minute in is incredible. And then the author himself wades into the shit. And then you'll still have over an hour of video!

This a spicy meatball.

edit: Jesus Christ, Hussie took fucking weeks to watch her video, the entire reason this second video (and her conversation with Sarah) exists. Absolutely amazing.

Last edited:

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Andrew Hussie saw the posts of that edgy Riot Games legal guy and decided the correct response was "hold my beer."

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Andrew Hussie themselves emailing Sarah about the issue and the subsequent back-and-forth is WILD. I was watching the video on my phone, but switched to watching it on my TV because it was getting too good.

Last edited:

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Made the time to watch this.
This video is much more interesting to me than the original Homestuck one. Also fuck What Pumpkin and Hussie. Even just the shit that Andrew Hussie willingly admits to in their emails to Sarah is fucking wild and terrible.

The complete refusal, over all these several contacts, from anyone to actually point to a single inaccuracy in Sarah's video has had the opposite effect I think. In the original video Sarah says "Take all this with a grain of salt", but now I can't help but assume it was all completely true.

Last edited:

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Both the Homestuck creator and What Pumpkin came out looking far worse after sending those ill-thought emails. Actively admitting to omitting a developer from receiving credit out of spite is callous and immature.

I was right. That was a delicious, spicy meatball. MarySueWriter keeps winning.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Both the Homestuck creator and What Pumpkin came out looking far worse after sending those ill-thought emails. Actively admitting to omitting a developer from receiving credit out of spite is callous and immature.

I was right. That was a delicious, spicy meatball. MarySueWriter keeps winning.

It's so crazy. There wasn't anything in her original video that was even that bad. Basically, yes, the kickstarter was mishandled, but:
1. That was just one part of her very long video
2. It was public knowledge that it was mishandled

They should have just left it all alone, but couldn't help themselves.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It's so crazy. There wasn't anything in her original video that was even that bad. Basically, yes, the kickstarter was mishandled, but:
1. That was just one part of her very long video
2. It was public knowledge that it was mishandled

They should have just left it all alone, but couldn't help themselves.
A hit dog will holler.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Well, about a third of the way in and the email back and forth is already making me feel second-hand tired. And it gets WORSE?

Edit: Okay yeah telling that source to not look for another job right before they fired them and a bunch of people is a HUGE dick move. And credit people FFS, creatives need portfolios and proper crediting to prove they did what they did and help with future job opportunities.

Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Man, Andrew Hussie and What Pumpkin just come out looking infinitely worse by deciding to involve themselves in this.

The first video discussed a few unverified rumors and hearsay, presenting multiple contradictory sides of the story to demonstrate what a mess everything was.

By trying to defend themselves, Hussie and WP had to admit that the bad rumors about them were all true, and it was even worse than we thought (like the issue of people being denied credit for professional work was confirmed to be malice and not incompetence).

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably going to create a gaming side thread cause everything with What Pumpkin shutdown, crediting issue, and legal threats is fucking wild.

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
The weird "follow the process" thing Hussie kept on pushing just made me think they were trying to have a set narrative without giving Sarah the chance to make any follow up questions. One big info dump to confuse the audience.

I get her aggravation, she asked what was wrong in the video and instead was told "this person am bad". There was no good faith rebuttal at all from WP and Hussie.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
The drama that has emerged from the absolute clusterfuck of WhatPumpkin and Homestuck's management is honestly more compelling than any actual content produced since the comic's conclusion.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I'm normally a fan of in-depth analysis, but these ultra-long form videos are just too much to keep up with what is essentially internet drama.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In general I sort of lose interest in these sorts of things when the Youtuber themselves gets dragged into the drama - like, "don't become the story" is a truism for a reason. And I'm not super comfortable seeing some random corporate lady's apology email get read out to a huge audience in a funny voice, even if she and the company she works for are pretty scummy.

But that being said... there's some incredible "why are you doing this!?" energy to so many of those emails. Like, when the dude starts to wade in as a mediator and immediately starts saying a bunch of incriminating shit? Beautiful. You couldn't write that. This is why you need, like, actual lawyers and HR and stuff.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I made a gaming side thread about the issue
www.resetera.com

Homestuck developer What Pumpkin tries to legally threaten Youtuber and then WP's dirty laundry of awful management/lack of crediting gets revealed

This is a long watch but it's a great one as you see What Pumpkin and Homestuck creator Andrew Hussie confirms some of the crappy things the company did. TL;DW What Pumpkin sends a legal threat to Sarah Z, the youtuber, telling her to remove a video over a video talking about Homestuck as a...

The legally threatening a former employee for asking to be credited for their work is just mind blowing.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
In general I sort of lose interest in these sorts of things when the Youtuber themselves gets dragged into the drama - like, "don't become the story" is a truism for a reason. And I'm not super comfortable seeing some random corporate lady's apology email get read out to a huge audience in a funny voice, even if she and the company she works for are pretty scummy.

But that being said... there's some incredible "why are you doing this!?" energy to so many of those emails. Like, when the dude starts to wade in as a mediator and immediately starts saying a bunch of incriminating shit? Beautiful. You couldn't write that. This is why you need, like, actual lawyers and HR and stuff.

Random corporate lady is the CEO of a company that threatened legal action to get mildly critical video removed from YouTube. Getting her email read in a funny voice by Maggie Mae Fish is better than she deserved.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
In general I sort of lose interest in these sorts of things when the Youtuber themselves gets dragged into the drama - like, "don't become the story" is a truism for a reason.

I don't think being repeatedly legally threatened by a company is in the same ballpark as the vast majority of YouTube "drama." Especially since, as Sarah points out in the video, the threats likely would've worked on someone who didn't have the same resources she did.

Last edited: