• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Lately the Xbox division of Microsoft has been doubling down on a long-term presence within the gaming space. They've bought a slew of new studios and have announced Scarlet, their next generation console (or series of consoles).

Rumors persist about the acquisition of EA and other groundwork that would cement them as a gaming force within the coming generation, and MS absolutely killed it at E3 relative to their competition.

Indulge me. Say Microsoft bought Nintendo (market cap $47.41B) -

Microsoft gains a foothold in Japan instantly, something it's been striving for since the original Xbox fruitlessly.

Microsoft gains the console with the greatest momentum, a portable hybrid to compliment a dedicated Xbox set-top box, which also means -

Nintendo games now benefit from the X (and Scarlet), a profound power boost that brings games like Zelda and Mario (previously 900p) into stunning technical modernity.

Microsoft gains a stable of the most beloved IP's to populate a series of mobile, home console, hybrid, and utility applications.

Nintendo platforms gain access to a series of streaming, music, video, application, and service options that Microsoft owns / has partnerships with. Those options all improve in quality with Nintendo IP.

Production for the Switch (and successor hardware) stays within factories (Foxconn) that Microsoft already has vested production in, so additional / continued production oversight is minimal.

Future Smash games which may lose licenses from third-party combatants gain new fighters like Master Chief, Ori, and Banjo-Kazooie to take their place.

Does a new platform-holder emerge in the form of Facebook, Amazon, Google, or Apple?

Would Sony's first-party output look meager by comparison? Would Sony have to acquire an Ubisoft or 2K just to stay relevant? Could they?

Does the acquisition pass anti-trust regulators on both the US side and the much more rigorous Japanese business side?

Does a sometimes fickle Japanese market stay faithful to a company that now has an American parent company?

Is there a mass-closure or consolidation of studios in that wake? On which side of the acquisition?

What would your thoughts be?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading Japan has a stock market that makes it difficult for companies to be bought out by foreign companies so this seems incredibly unlikely

But assuming it happened, I wouldn't hold out much hope for nintendo. Microsoft has a history of gutting their dev teams.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

Our government would not permit its sale to Microsoft.
OP see what he said.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If, and it's a very big if obviously, it happened I can't see it being quite as win-win as you purport. Things don't work out like that in the real world unfortunately.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
First, it will never happen.
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1027928/how-nintendo-boss-silenced-steve-ballmer

Second, it would probably drive the Nintendo brand into the ground as most fans of Nintendo aren't exactly friends with Microsoft.
I'd sell my families three switches in a heartbeat if it happened.

As for new platforms, I don't think that will happen either, the barrier to entry is now extremely high. You need a lot of studios with lots of experience and that's not something one can create overnight even if you are google or apple.

There probably won't be any anti-trust things as they still would have a very strong competitor in Sony.

Hoxworth

Banned
May 21, 2018
Honestly this would be a good thing when it comes to hardware. Nintendo would benefit greatly from Microsoft's hardware team.

OP
OP
mindsale

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1027928/how-nintendo-boss-silenced-steve-ballmer

Second, it would probably drive the Nintendo brand into the ground as most fans of Nintendo aren't exactly friends with Microsoft.

As for new platforms, I don't think that will happen either, the barrier to entry is now extremely high. You need a lot of studios with lots of experience and that's not something one can create overnight even if you are google or apple.

There probably won't be any anti-trust things as they still would have a very strong competitor in Sony.

Could a new entrant into a console market (Amazon, Facebook, Google, whomever) acquire an EA or Ubisoft to gain a foothold into an existing market?

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Imagine Disney selling to Baidu/Alibaba...do you think the FTC and Congress will even allow that transaction.

The West might think money is king but there's a thing called Pride or in japanese case, Nationalistic Pride.

You might not agree on it and deemed it 'illogical' but it is a thing.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

This is ridiculous. I mean hugely hypothetical world, but a company buys Nintendo and runs it as Nintendo with the same devs, same games, same devices, but you'd get rid of your switches because you don't like the parent company?

That's weird, especially if such a progressive (as MS are nowadays) company as MS with their huge staff benefits and high salaries took over. MS treat people well. Probably better than Nintendo or Sony do.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
But assuming it happened, I wouldn't hold out much hope for nintendo. Microsoft has a history of gutting their dev teams.

I mean this is all theoretical and it will never happen, but do you seriously think that when a company does such a significant acquisition, that they would just throw the gold mine franchises (Pokemon, Zelda, anything Mario and etc.) out of the window?

That's even more unrealistic than the acquisition in the 1st place.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say "mmmm the could buy Sony too", then I would say, "mmmm the could buy sega too", and then i would say, "mmmm they can buy Square enix, Capcom and boom Microsoft now has a chance to dominate the japanese market muahahaha"

Oct 27, 2017
What is up with these stupid threads?

MS are not going to buy EA, Activision or Nintendo.

They want to buy independent developers like they did with Playgrounds who they can publish games under the Microsoft Studios banner.

Zippro

May 20, 2018
I don't think Microsoft is the kind of company to do that, and I picture in such a case Microsoft would rather let Nintendo continue operate as its own entity and at best have their Xbox divisions be merged into Nintendo rather than vice versa, will still keeping Play Anywhere functionality for the Xbox division's products. I would otherwise see them still making the Xbox as their PC system alternative rather than core console competitor while using the Nintendo hardware as another foothold to expand their IP. Nintendo would benefit from this by have a stronger online structure and by keeping Nintendo operating as their own entity they in turn get that sweet Japanese market visibility. I basically picture a SEGA and Atlus situation, at least for the most part. But considering Phil Spencer is Phil Spencer I picture he'd be opposed to acquiring Nintendo, preferring for them to operate as a unique entity that grants them necessary competition within the console space. But if any of the big three did have to merge I'd definitely prefer it be MS and Nintendo considering they're both waaaaaay more for the player than Sony is.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
What in the world is this.

I'm not sure what's weirder: that this thread even exists (it's a silly premise), or that some people are, in 2018, emotionally attached or repulsed by dudes selling you video games.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
I mean this is all theoretical and it will never happen, but do you seriously think that when a company does such a significant acquisition, that they would just throw the gold mine franchises (Pokemon, Zelda, anything Mario and etc.) out of the window?

well...MS did has a history of spending billions only to trash what they bought within a year or two (Nokia, Danger)

OP
OP
mindsale

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I would say "mmmm the could buy Sony too", then I would say, "mmmm the could buy sega too", and then i would say, "mmmm they can buy Square enix, Capcom and boom Microsoft now has a chance to dominate the japanese market muahahaha"

Sony would offer Microsoft inroads into a bunch of production (television, film, home theatre, music) that they don't provide. They've got a similar market cap to Nintendo's, but I think the IP and branding is a more worthwhile acquisition that Nintendo provides.

Imagine a console called The Microsoft Nintendo.

Seedy87

Jan 4, 2018
This is ridiculous. I mean hugely hypothetical world, but a company buys Nintendo and runs it as Nintendo with the same devs, same games, same devices, but you'd get rid of your switches because you don't like the parent company?

That's weird, especially if such a progressive (as MS are nowadays) company as MS with their huge staff benefits and high salaries took over. MS treat people well. Probably better than Nintendo or Sony do.

Microsoft is making far more positive moves at the moment, but I'd argue against the fact that they "treat people well." This console generation has been a volatile one for studio closures on both Microsoft and Sony's part, and it still stings that they shut down Lionhead Studios and others.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft have done tons of acquisitions where the product they have bought suffers afterwards.

I'm sure it's not their intention but it is what happens. They wouldn't "just throw the gold mine franchises out of the window", but they would probably exert control which would affect the quality of the games. Or is your contention that MS would leave Nintendo's entire structure in place without much oversight?

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just because you have an irrational hate for Microsoft does not mean that this would lead to a widespread exodus of Nintendo fans. While concern about Nintendo's future would certainly be in place in this scenario (not nearly as much as if e.g. EA bought Nintendo though), an immediate rejection by Nintendo fans is not to be expected.

Seedy87

Jan 4, 2018
Sony would offer Microsoft inroads into a bunch of production (television, film, home theatre, music) that they don't provide. They've got a similar market cap to Nintendo's, but I think the IP and branding is a more worthwhile acquisition that Nintendo provides.

Imagine a console called The Microsoft Nintendo.

Right, you're clearly just trolling now. Can we get this thread locked?

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
These threads typically lead to console wars, and do not lead to quality discussion. Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.