How much do YOU love James Spader as Ultron?

• I've read the comics and I like this portrayal

Votes: 30 19.2%
  • I've read the comics and I don't like this portrayal

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • I haven't read the comics and I like this portrayal

Votes: 92 59.0%
  • I haven't read the comics and I don't like this portrayal

Votes: 17 10.9%

• Total voters

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously.

I want the goddamn terrifying Ultron that the trailer promised. Not the fucking lame jokester that ended up in the movie.

That trailer got me so fucking hyped for the movie, you have no idea. We were finally about to have a compelling villain in a Marvel movie. But no, it couldn't be. Of course the trailer had to be misleading.
as most of the stuff at the beginning, gotta blame whedon.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Had know idea Spader was in Age of Ultron. Now I'm going to have to watch it for that fact alone. Funny this thread got posted today cause I'm rewatching the Office and totally forgot Spader was in the shop till he cropped up.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you have to be a really fucking shit writer and director to waste James fucking Spader.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Spader killed this role and his incredible performance is the main reason I struggle to rewatch the film, Ultron is just so horribly dull as a villain in terms of his direct actions and the disconnect between Spaders emotion packed menacing presence and the shit character that is Ultron drives me nuts.

Any time he takes direct action in the film he's a complete failure, despite the narrative trying to paint him as a terrifying threat :/

Spader was robbed by Whedon.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Comic Ultron isn't emotionless, he's unhinged Hank Pym with no limits
I mean
6095687af554231e4b617c5ae317dee4.jpg

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Ultron should have been a dark, cold, calculating death machine. Making him jokey took all the gravity away.

He should have been MODOK

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Can someone explain why Vision isn't the most powerful thing on Earth or the universe. He's built out of a advanced polymer of Wakanda steel and he is powered by one of the power stones. The things have been the McGuffin of like 13 of the movies and we keep being told they are the most important things in the galaxy. Yet he's literally drawing power from it! It seems like only his will is stopping him from winning everything.

Oct 25, 2017
I did like some of the jokey Ultron (like when he accidentally hurts Klaw.) I guess the question is how would you rejigger the movie with the twins since if Ultron comes off 100% as Evil Super Menace dude there's no way anyone would ally with him.
that scene with vision and ultron is still damn good

"you're unbearably naive"

Yep. My favorite part of the film.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
He's great as Ultron. I hope they bring him back at some point.

I love how he's all "Aww, c'mon guys" in this scene when Wanda realises what his plans really are.

The only real problems Age of Ultron has are it's glut of underwhelming action sequences (complete with unfinished looking CG) and that washed out yellow filter on everything.

Okay, some of the Widow and Banner dialogue is pretty bad too.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Eh. He didn't really do it for me. Fell kinda flat. I think with better directing he could have been great.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He was fantastic. The movie and marketing did a poor job of establishing Ultron as basically another version of Tony rather than some ultra serious menace. I think if expectations had been set properly a lot of people would have taken better to him
I went in without any spoilers/expectations because only watched the movie because my friends wanted to see it.

I thought Ultron was great, and that movie was ok, but to my great surprise it wasn't very well received.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously if this shit doesn't get you amped out of your fucking mind, check your pulse.

I must have watched this trailer like 20 times before AoU came out. I knew the tone wasn't going to be super dark, I knew there was a bit of misdirection and all, but I at least expected Ultron to be an "oh shit just got real" kind of villain. He's a fucking AI, he can be everywhere and be everything. But nah, he's very cartoony and mostly a waste of a brilliant actor. Shit was disappointing.

Oct 28, 2017
I thought he was very solid. His voice is amazing.

Also. He is the easiest villian to bring back he could have uploaded his copy to a backup hard drive and shipped it to some offline base.

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone explain why Vision isn't the most powerful thing on Earth or the universe. He's built out of a advanced polymer of Wakanda steel and he is powered by one of the power stones. The things have been the McGuffin of like 13 of the movies and we keep being told they are the most important things in the galaxy. Yet he's literally drawing power from it! It seems like only his will is stopping him from winning everything.

They nerfed him hardcore in IW for this very reason

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love James Spader (he absolutely made Boston Legal the show it was with his amazing closing speeches at the end of every episode)...but I couldn't stand his performance in Age of Ultron. All I can think of was how intimidating and menacing he sounded in the trailers, and how they added up to maybe 20% of his screentime with the rest of his performance acting neutered and tired and snarky. One of his lines during an action sequence "oh for god's sake" completely took me out of the movie cause of just how ridiculous it sounded. I don't think Age of Ultron is particularly a bad MCU movie, but I consider it one of my least favourite not just because of how long, tedious, uninteresting, and drab it was, but because I think James Spader's Ultron is one of the most disappointing film villains in recent memory,

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
He's great as Ultron. I hope they bring him back at some point.

I love how he's all "Aww, c'mon guys" in this scene when Wanda realises what his plans really are.

The only real problems Age of Ultron has are it's glut of underwhelming action sequences (complete with unfinished looking CG) and that washed out yellow filter on everything.

Okay, some of the Widow and Banner dialogue is pretty bad too.

If motherfucking
Red Skull
came back, then Ultron should be a given.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That final scene with Vision redeemed the movie a bit for me. Spader deserved so much more.

bgbball31

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still disappointed in the movie, but it did move up my Marvel ranks on rewatch. It just sets up SO many plot lines for the future (Vision, Wanda, Hulk and Thor gone, Sokovia Accords, etc), has some good character moments (especially the scene with the hammer), and has the Avengers actually saving people while trying to fight off Ultron's bots (which I thought was cool to see).

Now, if they could have made Ultron as menacing as Aida in SHIELD, that would have been something.

Dec 22, 2017
I hated this movie at the time and thought it was overly long and messy. Recently rewatched (in two sittings) and was surprised to find it better than I remembered.

I agree Spader is great. The first half hour with the full Avengers team mowing down a faceless army of Hydra jobbers? Not so great.

raterpillar

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Ultron is a very underrated villain and is up there with Thanos/Killmonger/Loki. I thought he was a really good character study for a crazy evil killer robot based on a 3rd rate comic bad guy.

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I hated this movie at the time and thought it was overly long and messy. Recently rewatched (in two sittings) and was surprised to find it better than I remembered.

I agree Spader is great. The first half hour with the full Avengers team mowing down a faceless army of Hydra jobbers? Not so great.
Agreed on every point

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
I think Ultron is one of the very view villains I liked a lot. So cool, his performance was great too.

What always keeps baffling me is how negative a lot of the Resetera (/Gaf) crowd is/was about certain movies, especially a while after release. Calling Age of Ultron a "terrible movie" or a movie that is "so bad", while 95% of the population on Earth (including a lot of so-called critics) thought it was a decent or good movie). Feels like some people are so sour...