• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Remember when the keyblade was a special supernatural thing that chooses it's wielder and that's why Sora got it over Riku before they said "lol jk there's like 10 million of them and you just need someone who has one to give it to you"
And then in DDD they were like, the keyblade actually chose Riku lol

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Understanding the story of the series involves playing all the games. People don't want to do that. You don't need a high IQ or a degree to understand the plot of Kingdom Hearts. People bounced off it due it being spread of different platforms, and bounce off of it now because they don't want to play everything. It's a rarity for a game series to actually continue it's plot through each entry like a series of books or seasons of a TV show and people aren't used to it.

Play each entry in release order like most other game series. Aside from one entry in the two PS4 collections that's how they're presented.

I still say the level of investment in the series plays a factor to. I played the entire series with both PS4 collections in release order within a month and still don't know past the basic plot outline (This includes watching the movies included). With other details needing to be filled in with friends who are more well-versed in the extra stuff. The game has a lot of twists, turns, and call-backs which probably play into being hard to follow.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I'm going into KH3 now basically just going "Sora has to beat Xenahort who is in more bodies now and other stuff will happen along the way"
Isn't this basically the plot of Harry Potter Book 7 (all the way down to the villain being fixated on having a specific number of them), except in Kingdom Hearts the Horcruxes are fully sentient vessels?

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Nah man, I've been a fan of the series for 16 years and still have no idea what is going on with the overall plot. I get the narrative when it comes to the individual characters, but the overall plot is a fucking mess.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
It's a plot that just expands to integrate whatever spinoff comes next. Any one individual game is easy to follow and, if you play them all in short succession, easy enough to follow, but the story has no right being as big as it is.

Like, if Xion becomes an integral character of KH3 (she's on the cover), what does that add to the plot, exactly?

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
It's a plot that just expands to integrate whatever spinoff comes next. Any one individual game is easy to follow and, if you play them all in short succession, easy enough to follow, but the story has no right bring as big as it is.

Like, if Xion becomes an integral character of KH3 (she's on the cover), what does that add to the plot, exactly?
Makes 358/2 not look so worthless.

To bad it's bar NONE the worst KH game.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have played every title in the series with the collection all back to back and in release order.
That story is still confusing and i've given it a lot of chances. I've come to understand the basics of it, but as said. It's still poorly told. Even if things make sense once you have a flow chart to follow.

I'm going into KH3 now basically just going "Sora has to beat Xenahort who is in more bodies now and other stuff will happen along the way"

That's a good basic summary of KH3 anyway.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The series has:

- Dozens and dozens of characters for the main plot that has one or multiple connections between each other
- Time travel shanenigans
- Mcguffins
- Clones
- Clones of clones
- Evergrowing elements of nonsensical lore
- Multiple Bigger Bads being add one after another.
- etc...

I mean, this is convoluted, this is the very definition of convoluted and confusing.

Every piece of media can be condensed in a few words, that dosn't mean shit.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
It was perfectly fine and easy to follow up until DDD where it really does go off the rails. The games beat you over the head with their plot and jargon so much, you'd have to really be trying to get confused. DDD really goes overboard with time travel shenanigans and retcons.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Era is really fucking salty about KHIII not being exclusively about the games they played and not the ones they dismissed

Dweebo

Oct 26, 2017
I love Kingdom Hearts and I'm ecstatic for KH3 but to call the story anything but a complete mess is hilarious.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
It's either very convoluted or incredibly bad.
Both outcomes are not favourable.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The real Kingdom Hearts is all the Kingdom Hearts story summary videos we made along the way.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to quote myself from an earlier thread on Kingdom Hearts' storytelling:
This is a series where when someone loses a heart, that heart is embodied and called a Heartless - something that means an absence of a heart, even though it's a walking heart. And when a heart leaves their body, that body is named a Nobody - an absence of a body, even though a body is all that it is. You'd think those names would be switched and that's just the most basic element of KH's worldbuilding, and it just gets exponentially more confusing from there.

I have never in my life used convoluted to mean confusing. Can't understand and hard to understand are a degree of nuance that I find quite distinct.
Convoluted means "extremely complex and difficult to follow", whereas confusing means "bewildering or perplexing". If you're granting that Kingdom Hearts' storyline is convoluted - that is, difficult to follow - then it's safe to say it is confusing too. It's difficult to follow (convoluted) because the overwhelming onslaught of terms and clones and time travel and lore is bewildering (confusing).

Also, explanations don't necessarily make something less confusing. Overly explaining something can make something more confusing because there's more stuff to keep track of. The television series "Lost" ended up having explanations for most things by the end of the series, but that didn't make it into something that wasn't confusing. You had to remember a million things to make sense of the narrative. I was one of those people, but I sounded like a lunatic when I tried to explain what the smoke monster was.

One more thing....I don't understand for the life of me what a heart is. Alright, it's the source of emotion. Nobodies lack hearts, so they lack emotions. If they lack emotions, then why do they crave hearts and emotion? Craving is an emotion. This series is ridiculous.

And what's Kingdom Hearts itself? The heart of all worlds...how do worlds have emotional cores, what does that even mean? How can there be more than one Kingdom Hearts (eg the one the Nobodies created in The World That Never Was?). How can you make a "heart of all worlds" out of the hearts of Emblem Heartless, what does that even mean? And again, why do the Nobodies even care, if they lack emotions?

Last edited:
OP
OP
malyse

malyse

Community Resetter
Convoluted and confusing are synonyms, though.
s5aSm0l.jpg

I have never in my life used convoluted to mean confusing. Can't understand and hard to understand are a degree of nuance that I find quite distinct.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
It is.

And is bad. Surprises me that Disney has involvement on it. This company made Fantasia for God's sake!

But it's not because is confused or bad that the people can't like it. Gameplay is like forty percent of the experience anyway.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also in the DDD made it confusing camp. Everything up to that I thought was simple enough. Now with time travel it jumped the shark, and with various things in Chi its getting moreso.

fbnaulin

Mar 15, 2018
I feel the story is a mess, at the point that I don't put attention to it anymore. I'm just here for the gameplay, really.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
All you have to do is play 16 games of complete anime absurdity over 7 systems and then watch a few 30 minute recaps to be safe. Not confusing at all.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With all due respect, fuck off.

It's an absolute mess of anime garbage. I know people who have played every single one of the games multiple times and still find it an incomprehensible mess and can't explain it to me in 5 minutes.

If you like it, cool. But it is a mess.
I don't disagree with it being convoluted but what do you mean by anime garbage? I can't think of a single anime anything like it.

KHs convolutedness is part of what makes unique and great. I don't see why anyone is denying that fact. It's a super complex story.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can be a fan of something and admit the writing/storytelling is overly convoluted.

I'm a big Blazblue fan and I can admit that the story is hot garbage, but I like the characters enough to be invested.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
The story only got confusing with the last world in DDD. Everything else is simple as fuck. If you thought it was confusing before, you just weren't paying attention.
That's about how I feel

There was some order issues, like if you reboot KH there should probably be some BBS stuff in KH, and maybe like a couple games don't really need to exist narrative wise but generally it was fine.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why DOES Sora start every game at Level 1? (Only played the first two games)

KH I is obvious.

KH CoM he's in Castle of Oblivion where he "forgets" all his abilities.

KH II takes place after he awakens from a year sleeping.

KH DDD it's about his training to become a keyblade master so he starts fresh.

KH III he needs to recover his previous abilities thanks to everything that happens towards DDD end.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I'm also in the DDD made it confusing camp. Everything up to that I thought was simple enough. Now with time travel it jumped the shark, and with various things in Chi its getting moreso.
The time travel boils down to "Xehanort sent one of his vessels back in time to gather all the others." It's implied that the process is similar to the one Sora used to dive into the dream worlds.

You don't need to think about it more deeply than that.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio

We could stop disagreeing about that and just agree that it's bad then.

KHs convolutedness is part of what makes unique and great. I don't see why anyone is denying that fact. It's a super complex story.

Y'all ever see a take so bad that you're immediately forced to go to sleep?

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when the keyblade was a special supernatural thing that chooses it's wielder and that's why Sora got it over Riku before they said "lol jk there's like 10 million of them and you just need someone who has one to give it to you"
Yeah, it sucked

Then Square enix realized everyone liked everyone else more sora and then made riku the best character and then gave him and others keyblade

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Yeeaah, nope, I love the games but the story is a trainwreck.

Yeah each game just piss me even more each time they are over, they just open more door and never close them.... BBS was the worse, i was like nice a prequel that will explain origin, yeah sure you just open up like 10 new doors.... And forget DDD just destroy everything....

I can't imagine KH3 can wrap everything well... the game need a perfect work book like Xenogears... At this point i think they are just trolling us, imagine a timeline right now with DDD.....

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
DDD is confusing as hell and I can't for the life of me understand why so many fans have started to downplay that.

It's starting to feel like Souls fans who claim those games are easy.

Also if people were being disingenuous about finding it confusing then that would mean they're lying, which is just a bizarre accusation to make. You seriously think people are conspiring to spread the lie that the series is confusing? That's insanely paranoid.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I'm sorry OP but the story IS confusing, especially if you try to encompass everything from the spin-offs. There are characters with the same faces but different names, characters with the same name but different faces, it's a mess by any standard.

The only game series I can really compare in terms of just how labyrinthine the storytelling is Metal Gear.

dharmapolice

Oct 25, 2017
There is a way to tell compelling, complex stories .... Square Enix does not know how to do that anymore. This is exceptionally so with KH.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't think people would have as much of an issue with KH's story if it wasn't spread over, at the very minimum, 5 full 30+ games of varying quality, 3 cut-scene movies and 1 prologue game. It's this perfect mix of convoluted singular games being tied into a convoluted franchise that is very difficult to digest in a succinct fashion. For people who haven't grown up with the franchise that can get very confusing as you're forced to keep track of tons of different plot threads, characters, concepts, etc.

Even the very basic question of why the beings with hearts but no bodies are called "Heartless" whilst the beings with bodies but no hearts are called "Nobodies" shows how confusing the plot can be.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
If it's convoluted and poorly told, that kinda makes it confusing, yeah?

Just because the games are now readily available and they strive to answer some questions doesn't mean the story isn't confusing.