• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sayonara wild hearts is an indie game announce at the 2018 game awards. the game is developed by Simogo, hands-down my favorite mobile devs who are mostly known to console and pc gamers for their game Year Walk. it's published by Annapurna interactive and is coming to nintendo switch. it's also supposed to also come to apple arcade later. here's the announcement trailer:

the game (along with wattam and outer wilds) was previewed by Annapurna to the press last month, and it was playable more recently at PAX east. here's some previews and videos that are out:

https://www.shacknews.com/article/110357/sayonara-wild-hearts-hands-on-preview-dance-revolution
The first thing to note is that what's on display in the game's trailer is basically the game. What's on display is no cutscene. The game is a colorful, playable, on-rails music video, with players controlling the main character in a bombastic, choreographed journey. The idea is to pick up collectible coins strewn about the stage, aiming for a high score. Depending on whether The Fool is flying or riding a vehicle, players can either move left or right or all around.

But at heart, Sayonara Wild Hearts is a rhythm game. So as The Fool makes her journey, players are prompted to hit the A button at various points throughout the song. That includes when it comes time to battle factions like the Dancing Devils. But this isn't a traditional kind of confrontation. It's a musical pursuit. Players must keep the rhythm, avoid obstacles, and avoid shots from the individual Dancing Devils, as their pursuit culminates with a one-on-one confrontation. Here, players repeatedly tap the A button and shatter their adversary's heart, essentially disintegrating them.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...yonara-wild-hearts-wattam-outer-wilds-1191611
In Sayonara Wild Hearts, players control a young, masked woman as she races through neon streets and collects floating hearts. What at first glance appears to be a high-octane auto scroller soon morphs into a unique amalgam of fast-paced quick-time events, three-dimensional game controls and a pulsing soundtrack that pumps energy into the breakneck action.

The short demo recently showcased to invited press, including The Hollywood Reporter, presented a small number of levels, but even in such a limited offering Sayonara Wild Hearts impressed with unexpected depth in both its gameplay and visual presentation. Each new stage builds upon its predecessor with new elements, be they jumps, dodges, interactive environments or enemy types to flesh out a game that, upon first glance, may appear much simpler than it actually is.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/7/18253544/sayonara-wild-hearts-preview-impressions-nintendo-switch
For my media demo, I'm only allowed to play this first level. And I love it. In this early part of the game, there's very little in the way of challenge. If I miss my cue, song and game blur into a short rewind-pause, inviting me to try again. I'm almost always successful the second time around. Sayonara Wild Hearts wants me to find my groove, to glide through its melodies.

I enjoy the novel experience of believing myself to be a dancer, though the dance floor isn't so much a square plane as it is a series of tunnels wallpapered in psychedelic hues, decorated with gaming iconography.

I suspect it's one of those games, like a great pop album, that delivers its mysteries and pleasures through repetition. Certainly, it lends itself to repeat play in search of high scores.

https://mashable.com/article/sayona...tch-simogo-hands-on-preview-first-impressions (includes interview with Simon Flesser, co-founder of simogo)
Its girlish spirit isn't ever condescending or self-congratulatory, either. Sayonara Wild Hearts simply uses the feminine as a pastiche for a traditionally masculine, action-heavy type gameplay. Without calling attention to itself, this makes for one of the most quietly empowering female experiences I've ever had in a video game.

Because in Sayonara Wild Hearts you kick ass by overcoming every wild new thing the world hurls at you, never missing a beat, never taking a breath to slow down. And really, isn't that a distillation of what being a woman in this world is like? Only in this version, you get to hack those enemies with beautiful dancer-like sword fights.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/03/07/...laying-a-pop-music-game-at-200-miles-per-hour (includes interview with Daniel Olsén, the game's composer)
The game is really about the fusion of music and gameplay. Inspired by music games like Rez, you speed along on a motorcycle through a tunnel-like landscape and make some quick decisions that keep you from crashing or getting beheaded.

The gameplay is fast, and you have to react to twists and turns. A character named Little Death tries to knock you off your motorcycle as you're speeding through a city. You have to tap the Switch's shoulder buttons at the right time. On the other hand, the game is fairly forgiving. And that may help it draw a broader audience that is more interested in the fusion of the beautiful art and the pop music. I found it very addictive and compelling.

https://www.okbeast.com/2019/03/28/sayonara-wild-hearts-pax-east-2019-preview
By the end of my demo, I think I got a great feel for Sayonara Wild Hearts. It's not a punishing game. As a matter of fact, it seemed insistent on making sure nothing gets between you, the music and your stylish navigation of it. I've got no clue what the game is about but coming away from it, it's the game I need to know the most about and that everyone should keep their eye on.

https://passthecontroller.io/2019/04/05/pax-east-preview-sayonara-wild-hearts/
It's hard to fully explain the art style and sound design of Sayonara Wild Hearts while giving it the proper praise it deserves. In some of the stages I played it felt like I was dipping my mind into a rainbow as I disappeared into a trance-like state of existence. Other times, the thumping in my chest was matching the tempo of the songs as I tried to collect every heart on screen while dodging cars and fireballs.

Sayonara Wild Hearts is easily one of the most unique gaming experiences I've had this year, let alone just at PAX East. I'm looking forward to securing the best scores amongst my friends in this beautifully designed, anime-esque, musical adventure that oozes the style I wish I had and attitude of the game you wish you were making.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/04/hands_on_runninr_down_a_dream_in_sayonara_wild_hearts
A rhythm based infinite runner of sorts - the game has checkpoints, levels, and endpoints - Sayonara Wild Hearts is a visually stunning, neon filled wonder of a game. We got to play the first five levels and found ourselves utterly enraptured. The first level sees you playing as a character flying through the ether on a skateboard to the rhythm of Claude Debussy's Clair De Lune. It's magical stuff. If anything, this first level is the least bizarre of the bunch too.

The subsequent levels got faster, more eclectic, and certainly more frantic. Your mode of transportation and the character you control seems to change level to level as well. Sometimes we were riding a neon pink motorcycle through some bizarre abstraction of an old European city, while others we were driving through cavernous chasms. The bike levels in particular seemed to be the most gonzo of the bunch. There are pseudo boss fights - also retaining rhythm mechanics - that involve motorcycle karate fights, and again, these are just the early levels. If that's the beginning of the game, we can only imagine where the game goes from there.

The game is just so wildly inventive with the infinite runner formula that we found ourselves entranced. The colour palette is amazingly vibrant, the soundtrack is just as varied and eclectic as the environments, and the whole package makes for an exhilarating and creative ride. The game exudes such a high volume of energy that we couldn't help but enjoy ourselves as we anxiously await news of a PS4 release.

time-marked (1:00)

gameplay video from PAX east

who's excited for this game? i don't see a lot of hype for it on era but it's one of my most anticipated games of 2019. also it's 60fps, 720p/1080p native res. not everybody has that.

Last edited:

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Annapurna's track record so far has included some really excellent games. What remains of edith's Wig for example.

Looking good!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Annapurna's track record so far has included some really excellent games. What remains of edith's Wig for example.

Looking good!
the dev has a fantastic track record too. they went from creating some arcade-style gameplay focused games like kosmo spin and beat sneak bandit to creating year walk which was a really good point and click horror-adventure games, to some "visual story" type games where it's just a story accompanied with their great style and art (device 6 and the sailors dream). this is a return to their gameplay focused style.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Omg why was this a no show
too fabulous for mainstream media coverage
screenshot2019-06-15an8k6g.png

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm intending to cut down on games spending, but this game warrants an immediate exception whenever it come out.

I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would like it Nintendo showed it off at their redcube or whatever it's called.
they've already revealed the lineup of games that are going to get live demos and it's only first party games + witcher 3. still, good to see the game is playable at nintendo's booth.
i really wanted to see it in the nindie showcase tho, very bummed about that.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
they've already revealed the lineup of games that are going to get live demos and it's only first party games + witcher 3. still, good to see the game is playable at nintendo's booth.
i really wanted to see it in the nindie showcase tho, very bummed about that.
I can't help but fear that this gem isn't getting enough exposure.

Maybe it will get featured in a Fall Direct or something.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but fear that this gem isn't getting enough exposure.

Maybe it will get featured in a Fall Direct or something.
based on what i see on twitter it looks like simogo has finished the game and delivered it to annapurna, and they're waiting for it to be released too. i think it's coming sooner than we think. i doubt it's big enough to be featured in a regular direct.
i agree with you tho, i think the game isn't getting enough buzz like some of the big eshop indie games do.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
based on what i see on twitter it looks like simogo has finished the game and delivered it to annapurna, and they're waiting for it to be released too. i think it's coming sooner than we think. i doubt it's big enough to be featured in a regular direct.
i agree with you tho, i think the game isn't getting enough buzz like some of the big eshop indie games do.
Which is weird considering how it got announced at TGAs.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't even know anymore. maybe a direct shadow drop?

screenshot2019-08-29aq2k0x.png

the game is going to be in PAX west, hopefully we get some new gameplay footage and music.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope it will come out soon. Played it at Gamescom and couldn't stop playing it there. It was one of my highlights.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
great article by USgamer based on their impressions from pax

Sayonara Wild Hearts is one of those games that you don't "get into" so much as you surrender your senses to it. Again, if you're a fan of Rhythm Heaven, you should already be familiar with the euphoric sensation of letting rhythm and music plant itself in your brain and commandeer all your senses. It's one of the best feelings in the world, and you can experience it again when Sayonara Wild Hearts comes to the Nintendo Switch later this year.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo at PAX East and absolutely adored it. Been waiting to buy it ever since then.